“Good sleep”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good sleep”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Travelled to Timaru for business and stayed about 4-6 times. Just a standard motel with a bed and flat screen. Nothing special. Can't comment about service because only spoke with owner when I picked keys up. WiFi had poor reception. Stayed in multiple rooms as travelled on weekly basis and went home on weekends. Try not stay on ground floor as rooms were dated, stuffy and smelt old. Older rooms on second level were much better. The restaurant was great. Food a bit pricey but very tasty.

Room Tip: Dont get ground level rooms.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Stayed in the separate building with 3 room, 2 x bathrooms, large lounge and kitchen, great accommodation as we had me and my husband and mixture of teenages and children, which when travelling with that many a washing machine and dryer would have been excellent especially as there was an empty laundry. A bit of road traffic, but then it is on the main road. Overall all good experience

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 April 2010

If you are on a budget, this could be the place for you, but the moment you enter the reception, you can smell the "old-ness" of the place.

the rooms are dated, feels like going into a 1970's hotel

furnishing is basic, the place is not very clean,

the staff are very helpful though.

i did not stay more than 1 night

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Edwin11967

Travellers are raving about these Timaru hotels

Norfolk
Reviewed 27 February 2010

These were the three questions we asked the lady at check in as we hadn't booked and didn't know about the hotel. I have to say she more than answered them and was helpful throughout our stay (including providing numbers for two different pizza places who would deliver as it was a tropical storm outside when we were there!). Our room was at the back of the hotel, quiet, clean and well maintained. The hotel had a swimming pool, jacuzzi, a dining room and separate bar, wi-fi (NZ$4 for an hour), a DVD library, a do-it-yourself laundry room (the lady behind the desk provided laundry powder) and plenty of parking. The Benvenue was a pleasant surprise and a decent find for a night stay on a trip up the South Island. Whilst not winning any awards it's a God send to the traveller who needs to get some washing done, contact those at home and enjoy a warm spa before dinner.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I have just arrived home from spending 2 nights at the Benvenue. I was very impressed from the moment I arrived. The staff were wonderful, the front desk lady even carried my suitcase up to my room, and thats after she managed to unlock the tricky rental car boot. The room was lovely. I have travelled the world and this room was very well appointed. I had a room with a balcony that had a marvellous view out over Caroline Bay. It was very newly renovated and tastefully done I might add. The room was lovely and clean both days and the staff were always friendly and very helpful. I have read a couple of comments about the noise, but if you book a hotel or motel on New Zealands state highway 1 then I guess you are going to get trucks going past but with the double glazing I must admit that I didnt find the noise a problem. I cant comment on the food myself as I didnt eat there, but while in the lovely warm spa was talking to a gentleman who had two dinners and two breakfasts there and said the food was very delicious!! I hope that this review helps. Thankyou.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Auckland
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed there probably 10 times over six weeks. The service was always great. The renovated rooms are very nice but the unrenovated rooms are below standard. It was freezing when we were there - literally, between -5 and 5 - and they constantly turned the heaters off so the rooms were like a fridge when we got home. I appreciate it probably costs a bit to keep them on all the time but you could at least turn them on before we came back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I thought that this hotel looked fantastic on their website - I should have read Tripadvisor first!!! I wanted to treat my family to somewhere comfortable and luxurious on our Timaru holiday since my mother has mobility issues and would be spending a lot of time in our unit. I also wanted somewhere quiet so was looking forward to their double glazing. We booked the two bedroom unit and I was devastated on arrival to discover it was virtually underground, noisy and stuffy. It was only five metres from the busy main road so the double glazing wasn't enough. Someone had obviously smoked in the unit and we had to open all the windows thus increasing the noise. They had also smoked in bed and I struggled with sleeping on the smelly mattress. The unit looked like a cheap motel unit and in no way resembled the photos on their website. The only positive was the lovely pool and spa area. We only lasted one night (and that only because they would have charged me for it anyway) before we moved to a luxurious motel (Avenue motel) which was far superior to the Benvenue and much cheaper!!! My advice: avoid this place unless you are really desperate.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family