“Nice and quiet off the main road”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Aspen on King

Aspen on King
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Nelson, New Zealand
“Nice and quiet off the main road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Staff were very friendly and very efficient. I was in one of the older units more towards the road, and it was extremely clean, needs a bit of a revamp. Newer units which are down the back are lovely. Nice being able to order a cold breakfast, have them deliver to you room within 10 mins, so u can eat at your leisure in the morning. Bed was confortable. Meal in the restaurant was delicious

Room Tip: Ask for a new unit down the back
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank danjonelson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I was traveling on business and had to overnight in Timaru. I am a light sleeper and was attracted to the Aspen on King as it was off Highway 1 and advertised units at the back that were quiet. On arrival however I found the work travel agent had booked me to the cheapest studio unit which happened to be on the road front despite me asking her to make sure she booked me a quiet unit. When I was given my room and told where it was I mentioned to the person on reception what I requested. Without a blink she changed my room for me and did not charge extra. She was pleasant, cheerful and helpful. I really appreciated this as it had been a long day with an early start.
The room was clean, well maintained with plenty of towels, and extra blanket (it was a cold night and I don't like sleeping with heaters on - not that the unit itself was cold). It had everything I needed for traveling on business and the attached restaurant was a bonus - as it meant that I did not have to go out looking for somewhere to eat. The food there was lovely and the portions were a good size. The restaurant may not look posh but they certainly look after you well and the food was excellent.
I certainly would stay there again and recommend both the accommodation and restaurant to friends, workmates and family.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like me or don't like a lot of noise go for the units at the back of...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 4kiwitravellers
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband, mother in law and myself spent 10 days in New Zealand and staying at Aspen on King for one night in Timaru very memorable in a good way. Megan, our wonderful host, bent over backwards in trying to help me with a problem at my end that I was having with my wifi that was above and beyond what I would have expected. I know I will remember my stay in Apen on King with very fond memories of such wonderful hosts. The two bedroom unit I had was extremely clean and well set out with a fantastically large kitchen and a lovely comfortable bed. The quietness of this location also gave me the best nights sleep in my 10 days as well. I would highly recommend to anyone considering staying in Timaru, and I would definitely stay here again. The on site restaurant, while a little pricey, served me the best chicken and corn soup Ive ever had.

Thanks again Megan for making my stay in Timaru so enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicki B
Bargara, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

This was our second stay and as good as the first. The rooms are large, comfortable and well equipped with a good Internet connection. Also, the restaurant is very good while the Botanic Gardens are close and well worth a walk around.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

Clean room, well priced, friendly staff. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of blankets. Kitchenette heavy on the "ette" with only small microwave and kettle, but all was surplus to our requirements anyway. Would stay again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mrs_Mc_AU
Lombok, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

We are returned visitors, who stay here a couple of times a year or more when we are back in NZ. We travel frequently and are from NZ but live overseas. The units are generous in size, the price is right and the management are caring and kind. The motel is on a main road but if you what quietness ( and we do) the units at the back are blissfully quiet. We love it here . I have recently read some bad reviews and I cannot imagine their experience. Either they don't travel or they are paid by the competition... These motels are amongst a handful of the best in NZ that we have experienced.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank R0sie1
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This motel is out on its own, on the old main drag to the south of the heart of Timaru - most of the other motels are out to the north, clustered around Caroline Bay and a nice big park. However, Aspen is well-appointed, lovely well-ventilated and laid-out rooms, it has a very passable licensed restaurant, and (as at the time of writing) there is free internet for residents. Unlimited - one is asked not to abuse the privilege - but wow. We stopped here overnight on our Grand South Island Tour, had no real idea of Timaru or the motel, and we were pleased to find both the town and the motel are prosperous, pleasant, and welcoming. The restaurant is clean, well-run, and serves a good selection of dishes - very generous portions, too - we were very impressed with the venison in particular.
There's not a terrific lot for overnight visitors to do in Timaru - we visited the beach, then wandered along a section of seafront walk, and that was about that. Aspen on King is a good overnight stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the motel if possible - away from what is still a fairly busy road, al...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple