“An oldie but a goodie”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chuuk
Truk Blue Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chuuk
Gibraltar, Europe
“An oldie but a goodie”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The blue Lagoon Resort was created by Kimiou Aisek who if my history lesson was accurate, worked on the boats during WW2 ferrying Japanese soldiers and sailors around Truk Lagoon prior to the attacks by Task Force 58 that sent many of the ships to the seabed.
After the war when Jaques Coustau visited Truk, Kimiou used his knowledge of where the ships had been at anchor to help Coustau locate and dive them.
The resort its self was built by Kimiou and his family to harness the growing interest in diving the wrecks of the Japanese fleet in Truk Lagoon.
The resort is by todays standards dated, but that said it is a charming place with mostly wood construction chalets and administration block.
It has a large dining area in the restaurant with massive windows that overlook the grounds and beaches, the food is of a high quality and reasonably priced, there is a significant tax on alcoholic drinks which can push your bar bill up quite a bit if don't keep tabs on it.
The Chalets are a 2 storey assembly, ground and fist floor chalets each have a spacious balcony to sit out on or dry your gear out.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a good size bathroom that has a shower plumbed into it.
The air con' works better than some modern hotels we stayed in on the way out to Truk !
The rooms had a refrigerator and a tv, although there was little point in having the tv in our room as it had no aerial and no remote control, no points there I'm afraid.
There is an outside bar that opens in the evenings where you will find flags and t shirts from visitors from around the world.
The grounds are well maintained and there is a lovely beach to enjoy with Kayak's to use if you wish, it is probably what most people's idea of a tropical island would be, palm trees everywhere, but on a down side some of the beach areas had a lot of litter, some of this could have washed up with the tide but a lot was obviously 'resort litter'.
Whilst the grounds are well maintained, just a bit of attention around the waterline to tidy these areas would make all the difference and complete the picture.

The resort has a dive shop where you can hire equipment and buy clothing but from what I saw there is not a great deal on 'new' kit to buy but the staff are friendly and as helpful as they can be given the limited resources in the region.

There is wifi available in the reception lounge but its not on a broadband feed so its painfully slow if there are more than a few people using it at the same time, its ok for trying to message friends and family but don't try up or downloading pictures, it'll take all day.

The resort runs some island trips, we went to see a large Japanese artillery piece in a cave that was used to protect the airstrip, the view down to the airfield is obscured today by tree growth but you can still get a feel for the view that must have been present during the Japanese occupation of the island.

There is a gift shop where you can purchase some souvenirs as well as drinks and sweets but remember you are in a very remote region so you might have to temper your expectations of the place if you are not to be disappointed, that said the place has an old fashioned charm about it that overcomes any shortfalls that it might have, additionally the history of the place makes its story quite absorbing.

The diving at Truk is fantastic but you should be aware that you will be diving almost entirely on the wrecks of transport and support vessels, not fighting ships, although many of these vessels were armed and sport some impressive deck guns. There are some exceptions to that such as the I-169 submarine, lost with all crew after a botched crash dive flooded most of the forward compartment.

Overall the resort is a very pleasant place to stay, and its old fashioned charm is one of its strengths, but you need to be aware that it is VERY hot there, when it rains it does it properly with deluges, an umbrella is essential for the rain as much as the sun.
There is very little to do here other than read, relax on the beach or go diving so this is a place most people come to to dive, non divers will find it challenging to stay occupied.
It is also recommended that visitors don't go off the resort.
When you come out of the airport be sure to check who's taxi or truck you are getting into, Blue Lagoon Resort have a couple of liveried pickup's they use for this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Xiamen, China
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms are good, AC is a bit too cold, food is great especially the Lapu Lapu, and excellent fried chicken. Some Japanese food too as lots of Japanese divers visit the place, tuna sashimi is as fresh as it get, did not have time to try the other dishes, I pretty much ate garlic rice everyday. There is a bar, there is a deck for BBQ, place for massage, and there is a supermarket pass the dive shop. Grounds are kept nice, although off the resort the rest of the island is a mess. I think most people were uncertain about the quality resort when they got on the bus and went down the road, but I think everyone is pleasantly surprised by the resort.

Internet is slow, and only at the lobby and restaurant, and slower when everyone is trying to use it at the same time. I did not bother turning on TV in the room because there is nothing you can see on a box that is better then what is under water.

I have made plans to go again in 6 months.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank willliam_is_bob
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is the only hotel on Chuuk Island having a "real" beach. The setting is really nice with lots of coconut trees for shade, a rather good and not too pricy restaurant, a dive center and plenty of space to relax. It can be a little tricky to travel from the hotel to the city center as the road is really is a very bad shape. Apparently, some effort is being made to re-construct the road from the North of the island (where the airport is) to the South (where the Truk Blue Lagoon Resort is) but this is probably going to be a very tedious and long task... The dive center has higher rates than the Truk Stop Hotel (located in town) but the setting is quite astonishing. The staff is very helpful and kind.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bloubliu
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 30 March 2014

First of all, the diving in Chuuk is excellent. It’s probably the best wreck diving in the world. On February 17-18 1944 an American carrier task force sank dozens of Japanese ships anchored in what was then known as Truk Lagoon, and nearly all of these now sit on the seabed within recreational diving depths (a few deeper wrecks can be accessed by technical divers). There are basically two ways to dive these wrecks: one of three liveaboards or two dive shop hotels. Since my wife and I were going on a frequent flyer ticket, our timing was constrained by the dates on which award travel was available. We had five days of diving, but the liveaboards went on a 7-day schedule. They were willing to offer us a five-day itinerary but at the 7-day rate, which didn’t seem like such a good deal. We chose the Blue Lagoon because it was set in an idyllic setting surrounded by lagoon, beaches, palm trees, etc. The competition was located in a town which, by all accounts, was a dump. This impression, gleaned from reading numerous reviews, was confirmed when we passed through on the way to the Blue Lagoon.
Despite the experience of some other reviewers, we found the rooms clean and comfortable. The beds were nice enough, we got clean towels every day, safe drinking water was provided, and we had a beautiful view of the lagoon (in fact, every room has a view). There was also a large deck with a table and two chairs, on which we could sit and read and log our dives. We did see a couple of cockroaches, but this is to be expected on a tropical island. In general, the lodging experience was as good or better than I would have expected anywhere in the United States (outside of Hawaii, which has some nice luxury resorts). We had no complaints. It’s certainly much nicer than some of the dive shop hotels we’ve seen.
A lot of reviewers complained about the restaurant as well. I was quite worried by this, but figured I could survive on toast and rice for a week if I had to. However, there was no reason to have worried. The food was actually very good. I looked forward to breakfast every day because the bacon was exceptional. This is unheard of at a hotel in America, where I typically choose to go out for breakfast even when free breakfast is provided. Bacon also seems to be a difficult concept to grasp even at luxury hotels in Europe and Asia. Only in England and Australia are you likely to get good local bacon at a hotel. The reason remains a mystery. Anyway, the Blue Lagoon knows how to make bacon. I also had the French toast, and my wife had the oatmeal and the banana pancakes, and all were good. The coffee isn’t great, but it does the job and with enough creamer it’s fine. The lunch menu offered a selection of sandwiches as well as some of the mains from the dinner menu (spaghetti Bolognese, fish and chips, etc.). The club sandwich was delicious. The French fries were cooked in an oil that I didn’t particularly care for, but other people seemed to like them. Dinner was the biggest surprise. The menu was divided into several sections: International dishes, Seafood, House Specialties, Local cuisine (which appeared to be mainly Philippine dishes), Pasta, and Japanese. I tried some of everything except the Japanese (living in Japan, I am accustomed to a level of quality that is not matched elsewhere in the world). The fettuccine carbonara was tasty if not authentic. The Island Bounty (grilled fish, pork, and chicken served with breadfruit and rice) and the Crispy Pata were delicious. The adobo was just good. The Wiener schnitzel was very good. In general, everything we had was at least good and occasionally delicious. They do run out of things. By the fourth day they were out of pork, for example (except bacon). They also had a very limited selection of desserts, which probably wasn’t a bad thing… In addition to the good food, everyone on the staff was extremely friendly.
My main complaint about the hotel was that there was virtually no internet access. They obviously have some access, since I booked via email, and my emails were always dealt with in a timely manner. They advertise that they have WiFi in the lobby area and in the restaurant, but this didn’t work most of the week, and when it did work it was like dial-up with an 800 baud modem. Also, my BlackBerry didn’t work on the island, because there is no 3G network. It wasn’t so much a problem that they didn’t have connectivity, but rather that they didn’t deliver what was advertised.
The location of the hotel was not a problem for us, because we were there for diving, and that kept us busy all day every day. If you don’t dive, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend Blue Lagoon unless you really want to escape from the world, and even then there are probably better places to do it. The resort is only five miles from the airport, but this can be 35 or 40 minutes due to the condition of the road (not so much a road as a series of potholes). There are some other restaurants, but they aren’t as well reviewed as the one at Blue Lagoon and they would require a lot of time in a car. It is possible to take tours of the island, or nearby islands, mostly to see the remains of the Japanese occupation. The problem with this is that you end up with the impression that the roads and the buildings were probably in better shape then, at least before the American attack!
But we were there for diving, and it was everything we expected and more. We had the same dive guide (Mackenzie) every day, and he knew the wrecks inside and out. He always made sure we had a proper surface interval, and on one of the days where we did a deeper dive (38 m) he had us breathe Nitrox 50 from a hang tank on our safety stop. The transit times to the dive sites ranged from 10-30 minutes on a small boat with two outboard motors. Four of the days we dove with three other divers; on the last day it was just the two of us. Most of the other dive boats seemed to have similar numbers. We did fifteen wrecks – twelve ships, two planes and a submarine. Each was interesting, fun, and different. Unlike many wrecks, a lot of these still had artifacts on board.
I only have a few complaints about the diving. First, it would be nice to see a sketch of each wreck before diving on it. We had come to expect this from wreck diving in Subic Bay, and found it helpful. We were briefed on every wreck, but it would have been nice to have a visual reference. There are books available that have ship diagrams (one by Bailey and one by Lindmann), but these are not detailed and also only show the ship as constructed, not as wrecked. Second, we didn’t bring our fish identification guide because every dive shop we’ve ever been to had their own that we could use if we needed it. Not Blue Lagoon. Not only did they not have one for use, they didn’t have them for sale. Finally, and surprisingly, doing three dives a day didn’t seem to be the norm. It was advertised, and financially it was a good deal, but everyone else seemed to be doing only two and were surprised that we were able to get them to let us do three (compare this to the liveaboard, where you can typically do five). We managed to make it work, but it seemed out of the ordinary.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentIndia
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is our second trip to the Blue Lagoon Resort. The first time was in December of 2007 with our daughter and son in law for Christmas for a week. Second time was with a group of 15 divers and myself a non diver for four nights. The diving as far as my husband is concerned is the best in the world but he loves wreck dives. The resort itself the grounds are immaculate and very beautiful. The rooms are large with two beds and nice patios with ocean view. They have a refrigerator, a TV but there is no television reception. The resort offers free wifi in the lobby and restaurant but it is slow. It is good enough for emails,messages and Words with Friends. The restaurant is good with reasonable prices and good service. They sometimes run out of things on the menu but remember this is an island with limited supplies. You have no choice but to eat here I would not recommend going to town. The rooms are kept clean. We had problems with very little hot water this time. The bar is open if there are customers. The management is good. I believe the dive shop is run well. Being a non diver I entertain myself walking the grounds, riding on the dive boat, swimming, snorkeling around the resort, reading books. A very good place to unplug from our electronic society. The gift shop has some excellent carvings done locally with good prices.

Room Tip: Both times we were on the second floor. Great patios and views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Smokedogaz
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This isn't a spa. This is a place to nest while diving wreck mecca. We stayed a little over two weeks.
The restaurant has a nice variety and, while the sashimi is exquisite, we were surprised how often we ordered the fried chicken. mmm. The ladies who run the place are very nice and the pace is slow; remember where you are and you won't get frustrated.
Alcohol has a 50% tax added to it. You can go into town and buy beer across from the Truk Stop (a fun place with nice people - shout out to Herry!) Might make a bar bill a bit more manageable...
Get with Isiro Aisek in the dive shop to make the dive plans. Our dive master was Jongki T. and he was, in our opinion, outstanding for what our needs were. He may not talk much, but his wreck penetration skills are what's important and we always felt safe, plus he's pretty darned funny when he gets going! Shout out to Roki who ran our boat while we were all in the water.
We dove with wonderful people and made great new friends all around.
You do need to know this: sometimes UNITED AIRLINES overflies this airport. There are not that many flights in and out of here so HAVE A CONTINGENCY - I'd recommend enough space back in Guam that you don't have screwed up flight connections like we did.

Room Tip: Our AC controller was in Korean. They'll help you figure it out, but I knew from friends there...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juicy2mato
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Possibly the best wrecks I've ever dived. I think i will be hard pressed to find better diving anywhere else...but the search will go on. I wen with my pal Eun and we had the best time ever. We dived from the SS Thorfin and I cannot praise captain Lance enough for his knowledge and most excellent briefings.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Truk Blue Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!