“Service smiles sympathy”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Wonderful place to stay on island with limited choices. Accommodations are spacious and immaculate. Pool is great. Restaurant is fine. Very thoughtful service. Loved out of the way Kosrae and I do not dive! For divers, what are you waiting for? Internet available for modest fee to the provider not the hotel. Best of island style charm.

Room Tip: Rooms seems to be the same.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank Passportalwaysready

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I didn't even know where the island was until I booked my trip, and now I will never forget. Doug and Sally found paradise twenty years ago and have managed to share a bit of it with every person that comes through their doors.

The diving was phenomenal. Clear, warm waters combined with immaculate marine life would have been worth any number of inconveniences to get there. However, the comfort and convenience of their dive boat was made even better by the personal touch we felt on every dive. Even being in the business for as long as he has, Doug was excited about every dive and showing us as much as he could in the four days we were there.

Beginning and ending every day in the resort was a treat. It is hard to believe the place is over 16 years old. The rooms are very comfortable and while we felt a bit spoiled with an air-conditioned room, it was very nice to be able to keep our camera housings free of moisture. Coffee in the morning and a well deserved beer in the evening were both enjoyed in the outdoor seating area of the restaurant. The food was delicious and we abolutely ate our fair share.

While there are hundreds more places in the world I have left to explore, getting back to Kosrae is a must!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank diverzak
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This was my first trip to any pacific island past Hawaii and I was not disappointed. Kosrae is beautiful with a lot to offer, both under and on top of the water.

I was lucky enough to stay at Kosrae Nautilus Resort and was extremely happy with my choice. I was there for 11 nights in May, 2011. The staff was extremely friendly and always working hard to maintain the beauty of the resort. Doug and Sally Beitz, the owners, seem to take a lot of pride in their place and it really shows.

The food was delicious and plentiful so I ate there for most meals. I couldn't stay away from the sashimi - to die for! My room was clean and the A/C worked great for someone coming from the Pacific NW United States and not used to the humidity of the pacific islands.

The diving was FANTASTIC! Doug runs the dive op and he and his staff work hard to provide an excellent dive experience. I logged 18 dives with them including two separate night dives. I was the only diver most days so it was all very relaxing but I would imagine it would feel much the same with a larger group. Salyk was the boat captain and dove with me a few times as well while Doug captained the boat. I enjoyed diving with both as it was clearly evident that these guys truly enjoy diving; not like some dive ops where you can tell the dive master can hardly stand to do another dive. Nautilus' boats are clean, roomy, well appointed and well maintained. Very comfortable to dive off of. They have a nice rinse station at the resort so I was glad to be able to keep all of my gear nice and clean. They were very helpful when it came to storing my gear and packing it for me before my dives. The diving on Kosrae is gorgeous. The hard coral is healthy and HUGE; home to a wide array of marine life to enjoy. It was sensory overload underwater and I had to almost make a decision before I descended on whether I was going to seek out micro stuff or bigger animals because if I tried to see both - I'd miss out. Gosh, I could go on and on. You just have to experience it for yourself. Nautilus has a nice clean pool that was quite refreshing when I'd return from diving with numerous loungers and outside tables where I'd enjoy an ice cold beverage.

I did some touring on land as well. Kosrae is a very pretty island and the people are very friendly and helpful. Nautilus resort can book any tour on the island for you and they have newer and very clean rental cars available which I took advantage of one day to explore the island. I recommend the canoe outrigger tour and there are many others to choose from for those who don't dive or for when you need a day off out of the water.

In summary, I really enjoyed my stay at the Nautilus Resort and mean what I said in my title - I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank webbah
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Kosrae Nautilus Resort has it all: spotless rooms with A/C, swimming pool, great food, friendly and helpful staff, and a fantastic location just steps away from the Blue Hole, Kosrae's best snorkelling spot. Don't be misled by the guide books that praise other (lesser) establishments on Kosrae: Nautilus is the ONLY place to stay for a comfortable and memorable holiday on this enchanting island.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TWilkinson
Reviewed 21 May 2011

This was a great hotel to stay in. The owners where extremely nice and hospitable—especially when my and my friend got food poising from The Village’s food. The rooms are ok but good for Kosrae’s standards. The rooms had AC which is great in the hot tropical climate. I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank ExplorerBaby
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I recently had the pleasure of spending a week at Kosrae Nautilus Resort. It is a small hotel which caters to divers and is owned by an Australian couple, Doug and Sally. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and quiet. The food in their restaurant is excellent, and the staff are quite friendly and helpful. Kosrae Nautilus is one of the few Micronesian hotels that has a swimming pool, which I used every day to cool off. I spent five fabulous days diving with Doug, who taught me a great deal about underwater photography. The coral reef around Kosrae is pristine and full of marine life. Kayaks are available at the resort, and are a great way to tour around the mangrove channels. I plan to return to this beautiful little island, and will definitely stay at the Kosrae Nautilus Resort.
Jeff (Calgary, Canada)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Scubaman9
Reviewed 21 January 2011

My family had the good fortune to go to Kosrae and stay at the Nautilus for almost 2 weeks this past December/January. What a treat. The island is simply stunning – picture the location and setting in Lost and you have a feel for it. Combine that with Doug and Sally’s incredible hospitality and phenomenal dives and you are set for the perfect vacation. We did not want to leave!

The Nautilus rooms are spotless and set right next to the dive shop for easy access to gear. The restaurant offers fresh tuna and good fare prepared to your liking.

The dive operations are great. The boat holds about 8 divers. Hospitality on the dive boat is the same as at the hotel - perfect. Sally made homemade cookies and treats along with hot tea for between dive intervals on the boat. The coral health and diversity are the best we have ever encountered and we have been diving for over 30 years. They will make sure to put you in the best visibility and conditions. We even managed a mangrove dive – eerie and loads of different critters.
Finally, don’t miss out on a hike to the waterfalls and some of the ruins. They are not to be missed and are a perfect adventure.

Here are the items to note - the island is off the beaten path. Infrastructure is lacking with the exception of good roads. If you like good wine, bring your own. Alcohol selections are very limited on the island.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Pam-Roberts3

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!