“Wonderful Gem of the Pacific”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Wellington, Ohio
“Wonderful Gem of the Pacific”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I was fortunate to have won a trip to Kosrae Nautilus Resort through a dive group that we travel with. I would never have known about Kosrae, let alone selected this as a travel destination. But after spending a fantastic week here, I've got to start doing more research into "out of the way" destinations.

We were greeted at the airport by Salik, a local, who is Doug and Sally's "right hand man". Aside from chauffeuring, Salik wore the hats of Boat Captain, Divemaster and Waiter, and was hospitable in every discipline.

The accommodations were very clean. Plenty of hot water (provided by a state-of-the-art solar collection system) for showers, and the air conditioning was adequate. Daily housekeeping kept things spotless, even amongst our clutter.

The restaurant at the resort is very good. I especially enjoyed the Sashimi - absolutely the freshest fish I've ever had! Burgers were very tasty, and the Pizza was amongst the best I've had - anywhere. Overall, prices were reasonable. One night, we visited Bully's, down the street, for a change of pace and scenery. Nice to do, once.

The real treat, though, was the diving. Daily, Doug and Salik drove us by van, to either of the marinas where Nautilus' boats were docked for a three-tank dive. The reefs are splendid, with magnificent hard coral formations, and millions and millions of colorful fish. Either Doug or Salik led each dive, pointing out items of interest, but would generally let us "do our thing". Each dive was terminated at the 60 minute mark, although on a couple of occasions, the scenery was so fantastic that we extended this to 70 minutes or so. On our surface intervals, fresh water and fruit were provided, and a sandwich was provided between the second and third dive. After diving, we hung out by the pool, played table tennis, or just relaxed.

While in Kosrae, Doug and Sally had arranged for a couple of afternoon trips for us to see different parts of the island. For a modest fee, an operator took us by boat to the rainforest to see the ecosystem that is endemic to Kosrae. The second trip was led by an older gentleman, on a dugout canoe, through the mangroves, and up a freshwater river. He provided some history of Kosrae, and a LOT of insight into the biodiversity of the island. One thing that we did not do while on Kosrae was to visit Lelu, the bottled water company. They literally do everything, from the collection of the water to the bottling and distribution (they even make their own bottles). As an engineer, I would have liked to see their facility.

Getting to Kosrae from the U.S. isn't easy, though. My wife and I decided to extend our trip, and defray the airfare cost, by visiting Truk Lagoon, first. Cleveland to Chicago to Tokyo to Guam (overnight) to Truk. After spending time there, Truk to Kosrae, with a stop in Pohnpei. Our homebound flight was Kosrae to Honolulu, with stops in Kwajalein and Majuro, to San Francisco to Cleveland. This padded our frequent flyer account, quite nicely.

We spent some time talking with Doug and Sally, and were surprised that this isn't chosen more often as a dive destination. The majority of their clientele is business travellers. So, if you go to Kosrae for the diving, you'll probably enjoy the personal, one-on-one attention that we received.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ScubaVacation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Excellent place to stay while working, rooms are comfortable and the pool was great. There is a small covered deck across the street by the ocean where you can sit and ponder. We went to Bully's which was a great restaurant location, sitting right in the middle of swamp land, great eat and drinks.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sierrared
Kaneohe, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was our fourth time back to the Kosrae Nautilus Resor(not an easy trip to get to BUT WELL WORTH IT. Doug and Sally who own and run this gem are the most knowledgeable "friends" you could every want when traveling 12,000 miles from NY. The main reason traveling so far was to dive the "Hard Coral Capital of the World". We say this with authority while comparing the sites we dove to Papua, Solomon’s and even Sipidan(when you could stay on the island). Aside from 70-100+ ft. visibility the fish life and nudi's were amazing.Every site was different: layers upon layers of the most healthy plate/piller etc. coral. Doug's boat was the perfect boat to dive from. He has two, one at each dockage so you can dive whenever the weather changes. Selik, his dive master and master helper will help lead your dive without any major rules or regulations. There were times we were the only divers on board. The sandwiches between dives were to die for. The resort has an immaculate pool and a fun dining room with a fun menu The rooms are very large and the airconditioning works superbly. The dive room is perfect. All fills were 3000psi. There is just too much to write about. Feel free to email us at gnil50@aol.com for more info and pics.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank lagrive
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Wonderful place to stay on island with limited choices. Accommodations are spacious and immaculate. Pool is great. Restaurant is fine. Very thoughtful service. Loved out of the way Kosrae and I do not dive! For divers, what are you waiting for? Internet available for modest fee to the provider not the hotel. Best of island style charm.

Room Tip: Rooms seems to be the same.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank Passportalwaysready
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

I didn't even know where the island was until I booked my trip, and now I will never forget. Doug and Sally found paradise twenty years ago and have managed to share a bit of it with every person that comes through their doors.

The diving was phenomenal. Clear, warm waters combined with immaculate marine life would have been worth any number of inconveniences to get there. However, the comfort and convenience of their dive boat was made even better by the personal touch we felt on every dive. Even being in the business for as long as he has, Doug was excited about every dive and showing us as much as he could in the four days we were there.

Beginning and ending every day in the resort was a treat. It is hard to believe the place is over 16 years old. The rooms are very comfortable and while we felt a bit spoiled with an air-conditioned room, it was very nice to be able to keep our camera housings free of moisture. Coffee in the morning and a well deserved beer in the evening were both enjoyed in the outdoor seating area of the restaurant. The food was delicious and we abolutely ate our fair share.

While there are hundreds more places in the world I have left to explore, getting back to Kosrae is a must!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank diverzak
Bothell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

This was my first trip to any pacific island past Hawaii and I was not disappointed. Kosrae is beautiful with a lot to offer, both under and on top of the water.

I was lucky enough to stay at Kosrae Nautilus Resort and was extremely happy with my choice. I was there for 11 nights in May, 2011. The staff was extremely friendly and always working hard to maintain the beauty of the resort. Doug and Sally Beitz, the owners, seem to take a lot of pride in their place and it really shows.

The food was delicious and plentiful so I ate there for most meals. I couldn't stay away from the sashimi - to die for! My room was clean and the A/C worked great for someone coming from the Pacific NW United States and not used to the humidity of the pacific islands.

The diving was FANTASTIC! Doug runs the dive op and he and his staff work hard to provide an excellent dive experience. I logged 18 dives with them including two separate night dives. I was the only diver most days so it was all very relaxing but I would imagine it would feel much the same with a larger group. Salyk was the boat captain and dove with me a few times as well while Doug captained the boat. I enjoyed diving with both as it was clearly evident that these guys truly enjoy diving; not like some dive ops where you can tell the dive master can hardly stand to do another dive. Nautilus' boats are clean, roomy, well appointed and well maintained. Very comfortable to dive off of. They have a nice rinse station at the resort so I was glad to be able to keep all of my gear nice and clean. They were very helpful when it came to storing my gear and packing it for me before my dives. The diving on Kosrae is gorgeous. The hard coral is healthy and HUGE; home to a wide array of marine life to enjoy. It was sensory overload underwater and I had to almost make a decision before I descended on whether I was going to seek out micro stuff or bigger animals because if I tried to see both - I'd miss out. Gosh, I could go on and on. You just have to experience it for yourself. Nautilus has a nice clean pool that was quite refreshing when I'd return from diving with numerous loungers and outside tables where I'd enjoy an ice cold beverage.

I did some touring on land as well. Kosrae is a very pretty island and the people are very friendly and helpful. Nautilus resort can book any tour on the island for you and they have newer and very clean rental cars available which I took advantage of one day to explore the island. I recommend the canoe outrigger tour and there are many others to choose from for those who don't dive or for when you need a day off out of the water.

In summary, I really enjoyed my stay at the Nautilus Resort and mean what I said in my title - I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank webbah
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

Kosrae Nautilus Resort has it all: spotless rooms with A/C, swimming pool, great food, friendly and helpful staff, and a fantastic location just steps away from the Blue Hole, Kosrae's best snorkelling spot. Don't be misled by the guide books that praise other (lesser) establishments on Kosrae: Nautilus is the ONLY place to stay for a comfortable and memorable holiday on this enchanting island.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TWilkinson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kosrae
Pacific Treelodge Resort
Kosrae Village Ecolodge & Dive Resort
Ulithi Adventure Lodge
Ulithi Adventure Lodge
#1 of 1 in Falalop

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!