“Excellent hotel in the middle of the pacific”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently went to Kosrae for work and spent 2 weeks at Kosrae Nautilus Resort. Doug and Sally, the owners, couldn't have been more friendly, helpful and accommodating. They were able to arrange trips and activities at the last minute, which allowed us to fit in some fun around our ever changing work schedule. They also kindly surprised one of my colleagues with a birthday cake.
The hotel staff were always cheerful and friendly, and made it a pleasure to stay there. If you're visiting Kosrae, I couldn't recommend this hotel more. Even the locals came here for coffee and dinner!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lucy B

Reviewed 26 June 2014

KNR was a great spot to stay in Kosrae. There's not a lot of excitement on the island which is why you travel here to dive so the hotel was a nice place to sit by the pool, enjoy some good food and rest between dives. You can walk to a few places not too far away but there's really nothing too close.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Scott K
Reviewed 21 June 2014

A really well run, efficient and knowledgable Resort - quite a rarity in the FSM and Doug, his family and all the teams (Hotel and Dive) should be rightfully proud of their involvement.

Lovely clean rooms, delicious foods and highly recommended as a place to get an introduction to Diving (as I did) with plenty of repeat customers.

The diving itself is excellent and the clarity was beyond my expectations.

I really hope to return soon to learn more of the diving!

Diving is more expensive than Thailand/Egypt etc - however, I still felt it was value for money for me, as I felt time was spent on training me and superb patience and care was taken with my dives. Even an understanding approach when I got rather sea-sick!!!!!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good - there may be less 'noise' in the ones further away from the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Brianmaxhouston
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very nice people both the owners and the islanders. This was my very first diving experience and it could not have been better. Diving was on my bucket list so I got certified at age 62 and went on a five week trip with my non diving wife. Out of all of the islands we visited this was the best experience over all.
My wife spent her days walking the island with no fear. It was very nice to be somewhere where we were in an environment that was natural and not set up as a tourist attraction. The people of the island were wonderful.
I have over 100 dives now and can honestly say these were among the best. We are planning to return in 2015.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Duff K
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very nicely kept family run affair. The only bad bit first Wifi works but at low speed The television worked with more that a few channels. This is the best hotel on the island unless you want Eco hotel. But looking at the other options, it is not too bad. Rooms are well located. The complete island is very safe. When we went out diving the son now did most of the diving. This is also the best place for diving in Kosrae.
A very payed back place. We would go again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very nicely kept family run affair. Clean and they serve good coffee in rooms. The television will actually work and there is a good movie channel and some good news channels. Bit on the expensive side. But looking at the other options, it is not too bad. Free Wifi is not too great. If you need better wifi, you need to hookup with the paid network. Rooms are well located. Very safe place. (Kosrae is very safe). The owner is a diving legend. So if you are in to diving this is a place you might like to see. The staff is very knowledgeable about the island and will direct you to some historic sites.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. I was in room 3. it was very good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mark135904
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We spent 6 nights with Doug and his team. The comments must be taken in the context of the island and so it was a tough choice on how to rank. The island could be a paradise. It certainly reminds us of Moorea with it's high, sharp mountains and deep jungle. However, the island is extremely poor and there is basically nothing modern except for some churches. It is very underdeveloped which in some ways is good but we feel sorry for the people. That said, they people are very friendly the island is safe, the climate not overbearingly hot and we did not have any bugs at all. The diving was something we did not expect. There were surprisingly few fish while we were there but the hard coral was by far the best we have ever seen. Huge castle-like formations and very clear, warm water. Great walls and little current. As the island is so remote, the food cannot be varied significantly but Doug and Sally do the best with what they have. It is basic, as is the hotel. And that is certainly fine enough as one comes here to dive. Doug runs his dive operation very well and has several of his sons help out along with well experienced local divers. I did spend the time to go over his air compressor. It is German and was well maintained. We took our NItrox course there and Doug was great. One cannot dive on Sunday so Doug hooked us up with Hamilson Phillip. Pictured. He took us up into the mountains on a trail he has been building for many years and it was a great day out with good exercise.Plus a dip in a jungle stream waterfall pool. He is absolutely an amazing man with nature. He knows all the trees, fauna and birds by their scientific, local and English names. The Japanese WW2 caves were a treat. If you go to Kosrae, a great to stay and we highly recommend Nautilus.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dshuber

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!