“Nice people but....”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Wales, United Kingdom
“Nice people but....”
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We came to this hotel from The Village on Pohnpei and were very much hoping it would be similar. We checked out after one night. To dwell on the positive first - the owners did their best to make us comfortable when I was unhappy with our room. It is a very hot and humid place, on the shore in a grove of trees, mangrove and palms. I asked for and was given a bedside light, a very rusty anglepoise. I asked for and was given a 2nd pedestal fan as the ceiling fan hardly moved and one pedestal could not service two beds. I asked for bug spray to spray under the beds where mosquitoes lurk in the daytime and was given some but the can was too rusty to function. I was given another which worked. The dinner was excellent. The welcome was friendly with a glass of cold glass of lime juice and a fridge stocked with complimentary citrus fruit and coconuts
To dwell on the downside. It is falling to pieces, many of the roofs need repair. The wall of the next cabana was slimy with green mould. The fridge had lost its outside coating of plastic and was thickly rusted. The shower dripped. I could send pictures of cobwebs from the bathroom light. Despite covering myself with DeepWoods insect repellant I am scratching as I write this in the nice airconditioned room we have retreated to. The mosquitoes were legion. We lit two coils in the bathroom and one in the bedroom but the traditional building is open to the air and inadequately screened so it was impossible to keep them at bay. I am old enough to need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night so could not stay safe in my net. The very sweet waitress did not know what poached eggs were at breakfast. I think I have said enough. I could not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The dining room
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank AlfredaBelize

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2006

Let's face it, Kosrae is remote. I'm an airline pilot for Continental so we traveled for free on Continental Air Micronesia. When we were there the place was deserted. I think there was one other guest. The bungalow we had was within 5 meters of the surf at high tide so we really heard and experienced the ocean. There was a ceiling fan, a flush toilet and a hot water shower in the bungalow and the bed had a big mosquito net (more about that later). The food was edible but nothing I'd reccomend. We didn't dive but we did take a ride through the lovely mangrove swamps in a dugout canoe powered by an outboard motor. The guide was a great and we had a good time. The scenery was wonderful and it's great to see people fishing just as they did hundreds of years ago. The island has neat ruins and the folks are nice but a little distant. There is no night life at all. No canned entertainment. I think the entire island has less than 50 hotel rooms so don't expect anyone to particularly cater to tourists. The owners of the hotel were nice but a little wierd from all of the isolation no doubt. We're pretty low maintenance and they left us alone. The prices are kind of high but since they have to import just about everything, it's understandable.

We had just spent time at the Village in Pohnpei so we were terribly spoiled by the time we got to Kosrae. That said, were quickly tired of the mosquitos and heat. It's not a cool island and even though we were right on the beach, we were never without a patina of sweat. It's just the way Kosrae is. Since we were the only ones in the restaurant, it was hard for them to have the complete menu on hand.

It's a strange atmosphere, not really laid back but not really hustle and bustle either. People were simply going about their business. The Bungalow had a porch with a couple of those plastic chairs you see everywhere but nowhere to lie down and read a book except in bed. They could really use a lounger. The beach is narrow and kind of rocky and wild. The waves can get suprisingly large so be careful if you choose to swim. Needless to say, the beach is deserted to the point of being almost erie. I liked it but my wife had had enough by day three so we hopped a plane to the next island. I probably won't return to Kosrae but if I do, I'll probably stay here again. If you don't like it, there is one other choice and that's a small hotel with claustrophobic rooms and A/C with TV. We stayed there one night but it's sort of a letdown.

Stayed July 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kosrae
Manta Ray Bay Resort
Pacific Treelodge Resort
Yap Pacific Dive Resort
Yap Pacific Dive Resort
#5 of 5 in Colonia

Been to Kosrae Village Ecolodge & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!