“Basic Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pohnpei
Ocean View Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Pohnpei
Reviewed 25 October 2013

A very basic hotel. I loved the view from the balcony. The hotel has free WiFi. It was sometimes iffy from the room but better in the restaurant or front desk area. I stayed in Room 1 which was nice because it is overlooking the bay, next to the stairwell so no neighbors, and not directly over the bar/restaurant. The noise from the bar did not bother me. Every time I went down, there were only 4 or 5 people around and it was pretty quiet. The first several days I think I was the only guest around as I did not see anyone. Several other guest check in a couple of days later I think because I noticed more people coming and going from the building.

The cleaning staff was very friendly. The front desk staff so so. They do rent cars for $55 to $65 a day. Recommend the SUV if you want to drive around the island. It is has more ground clearance.

The power did go off every morning for several hours. It was unusual because when I walked around town, other parts of town had power but not the hotel. Not sure if is the hotel or how power is supplied to that part of town.

The room was clean. Room 1 has a full size refrigerator and a sink with cabinets. I was not sure what the cabinets were for as they were no plates, pots, or utensils at all in the room. Bathroom was ok. It had running water when ever I needed it. The towels provided were really small. The bed sheets were ok. A little abrasive but adequate.

Room Tip: Free Wi-Fi but sometimes iffy from the rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Joe T

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This place was just OK. I stayed with three other friends. One bedroom had a very nice balcony, the other bedroom was windowless. I saw a few bugs, but that's Pohnpei for you. The food at the restaurant was also so-so. DON'T order the eggs benedict. I made that mistake and it came with a cherry on top! Ha!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I took a chance and decided to stay at Ocean View Plaza because of the "ocean view". Sad to say that overall my husband and I were disappointed at the condition of the rooms. Right as you walk into the 1st room it had a musty and stinky smell. I requested another room. It seems not to smell as bad. The bathroom has a sewer smell (so we kept it closed while in the room) and the shower curtain smelled like urine ( I had requested that the curtain be washed). Seems to me that the management needs to provide training on housekeeping of their rooms and restaurant. Also the management doesn't have any consideration of their paying customers staying at the hotel. Loud music and partying goes on frequently until late into the evening. We finally left after 4 sleepless nights to another hotel. We discovered peace and quiet at Seven Stars Hotel and finally had restful sleep.

I must note that Ocean View's restaurant service was good. The restaurant & housekeeping staff are helpful and very friendly.

Room Tip: Room on main floor, room 8, not a good idea, especially by the restaurant. I feel that the managem...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmading
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I don't normally mind a basic hotel room but what I do mind is bad sewage , not been able to leave the bathroom door open while in the room but then having to open it so I could go in and have a shower!
The sheets were not clean and i had to ask for a pillow case as the one on the bed was brown and smelt of smoke.
Basic is fine but clean is a must!

Room Tip: Don't take rom 9 !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Pohnpei does not have a great reputation for hotel the Ocean View is both good and bad. I stayed in a 1br room/apartment style, which was huge, spacious. I did look at a cottage which looked a lot nicer, with a modern fit out an flatscreen tv though there was no lighting up the road to it, and I chose to stay where I was to be closer to everything, rather than having a steep walk up the hill ever time I want to go out.

The Good,
The staff, reception bar and security, really friendly and helpful, really got along well with them and they would be prepared to talk to you for five minutes if you wanted and share local knowledge.
The view, over the bay to the ocean and Sokehs Rock was great at sunset, or sunrise and with a beer.
Wifi for a $15
Quiet and effective aircon in the bedroom, (loud in the louge)
Car hire, for $55 or $65 you can hire a late model Sedan or SUV in really good condition.
The restaurant with some good meals always open when I needed it.
There is a wholesaler/supermarket located 2mins walk away. Can get all your essentials there.
The hotel is about 1.5km from the start of “town” so central enough.
The bed was comfortable, and there were a few pillows. Towels were changed daily.

The Not so good
The noisy aircon in the lounge room
There is no safe.
The fridge didn't get cold, yet the freezer was fine.
The apartment with no cutlery, crockery, or things to use
The old CRT tv with a broken remote that had was constantly yellow
The unreliable and slow wifi (this is more of an issue with Micronesia than the hotel)
The shower, one tap that rotated went left to right and up and down, I still have no idea how I had so many showers there. (just confusing to use but good pressure and temperature when you get it working)
So many light switches not working or globes.

I guess if you are traveling to Micronesia, don’t expect anything amazing, you are going to be roughing it a bit by western standards. At least you know what to expect.

Room Tip: The 1br cottages are nicer but at the bottom of a hill. Try not to get a room above the bar if you a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Oren F
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We rented a cute newly constructed cottage owned and operated by Ocean View Plaza/Rumors Inc. located in a cozy, quiet location near the mangroves. We were absolutely thrilled with it and the price, only $65 compared to the pricey, dated & noisy rooms at the main Ocean View hotel, until our cottage was broken into and robbed! When providing a statement to the local police we were told that there had been 4 other thefts at the cottages in just the last month! I had my brand new laptop computer, 8G ipod, LG touch cell phone, ipod speakers, and a black backpack stolen from the room--a total of $1200 worth of belongings. Granted, I probably shouldn't have left these items in the room, but on Saipan where we live, you don't dare carry items with you and leave them in the rental car at tourist sites because your car will be broken into, guaranteed. So I left them in the room, which my husband and I made sure both doors were locked and placed all of the wooden bars in the windows and sliding glass doors and closed the blinds prior to leaving. The thieves knew what they were doing, they turned a new security camera away into the mangroves that had been facing all cottage back doors, one person used a knife to jimmy the front door lock (which was not a deadbolt but rather a run-of-the-mill door lock--easily picked) and then went to the back door and opened it for the other/s to enter/getaway from from looking at the muddy footprints leaving the back porch. I wish just one of the staff would have warned us to be careful with our belongings and take them with us or offer to store in the office safe like The Village Resort did. Obviously if this had happened basically once a week for the last month at that location there was a very good chance that they knew we would be victims too. Wouldn't you have at least made one small comment to use caution when leaving belongings in the room? A comment such as this wouldn't have scared business away it would have just made us more savvy to the local conditions They had a security guard on the premises, but he spent more time at the main hotel up on the hill than down at the remote cottages. It's just such a shame, we had such a great trip to begin with, highly recommend The Village Resort--worth every penny, but when we tried to travel on the cheap for the second week, we ended up paying for it thru the nose! Next time we will homestay with my husband's local family in Kolonia, rather than rent a hotel room, IF we ever return.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SummersHapdei
Reviewed 2 January 2013

They have spacious rooms, but they are in need of updating. The views from the restaurant outside are stunning and the main attraction for staying here. The food is alright otherwise, and service could be a bit better, but it's island time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Been to Ocean View Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!