Just got back from spending a week on the Island of Yap. We had six days of diving and a great cultural experience. We stayed at the Yap Pacific Dive Resort in Colonia. Colonia is the "big" town on the Island of Yap. What that means as it relates to Yap is you can walk anywhere you want to go in the town in less than 5 minutes. This is a wonderful place, with a slow pace and an opportunity to share in many local traditions that are not completely lost, yet.
The hotel was clean and quiet. The dive shop is located just down the steps from the hotel. There is one restaurant at the hotel and breakfast was included in the booking. If you booked three dives a day - then lunch was included as well. Dinner was a little expensive, but the quality, quantity and taste were exceptional. We did walk to "town" for dinner, but the food was always better at the hotel restaurant. Regardless of where we ate, they feed you a lot. Towards the end, we would order two dinners for three people.
Sushi, sashimi, local flavors and food appealing to most nations. Exceptional!
Diving - I loved the dive shop. Rustic is a good description. The crew was comprised of some amazing wonderful local men. Vince has been there for 14 years. He really understands the dive locations and you can tell loves his job. His boatman John was wonderful and very helpful with gear and care. Frank and Charles are working on their dive master certification - they are great dive leaders, and find the little things that I so love. Nudibrachs! It is not often that you get a crew of 4 dedicated to your dive experience, which is what made this experience so wonderful. It rained everyday! But 15' in a different direction always found better water and better weather. Beautiful calm and flat conditions. Turtles, Dolphins, Sharks, Cuttlefish - fun fun fun!
The Island - how can you not fall in love with the Island of Yap. A very slow pace. We took an all day island adventure tour. While the Island is small, the speed limit is 25mph. So it did take about 5 hours to tour every aspect of the island. Tamal, our guide was born and raised on the Island. He is a remarkable historian. He takes pride in his Island and the different villages that make up this rich cultural community.
We jumped through Guam, and had I had it over to do again - I would have stayed a few days in Guam. It was hard to Micronesia and Yap.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yap Pacific Dive Resort, "Where Adventure and Luxury Meet". Here you can enjoy world-class scuba diving and instruction in our SSI & PADI approved dive center by day, and gourmet dining & exotic island drinks in our restaurants at night. Relax by our fresh water pool or spoil yourself at our private massage retreat offering a wide range of popular spa services! We offer the islands largest selection of environmentally friendly activities and tours sure to please even the most discriminating guest. Visit historic WWII sites, stone money banks, village tours, cultural events, kayaking, boating, snorkeling, fishing, biking and more! Visit the “forbidden island” of Rumung! Experience this unspoiled paradise and see the largest stone money ever discovered.Yap Pacific Dive Resort ties the traditional Yapese culture with the feel of a colonial period gone by. The type of service that one would expect 100 years ago in a first class hotel exists here, today. Our staff, which is almost entirely Yapese, is dedicated to the highest level of service since the beginning and it has made a lasting impression throughout the world. Our boutique hotel, styled in unique Victorian architecture, offers 22 beautifully appointed, spacious, air conditioned rooms, each accented by hand crafted furniture and original artworks from the Ethnic Art Institute of Micronesia. Our two Grand Suites with almost 800 square feet of living space set a new standard for luxury in Micronesia! Fresh flowers daily and evening turndown service is included for all rooms.From sunrise to sunset, the staff at Yap Pacific Dive Resort is available to make your stay with us a memorable one. Personalized concierge services, expert dive staff, exclusive tours, conference facilities, international cuisine, cultural experiences, romantic adventures and best of all, affordable family pricing! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Yap Pacific Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yap Pacific Dive Hotel Colonia
- Traders Ridge Hotel
- Traders Ridge Resort
- Yap Pacific Dive Resort Colonia