“Perfect to relax”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Colonia, Yap FSM
“Perfect to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for a few days during Super Typhoon Haiyan and even tried my first dive. What a great friendly place to relax, unwind and have a great time. The front desk staff, Rox, Cheche, the restaurant staff, Sambrenia, Jay, Laurie, the Dive Master Charles all made my stay PERFECT.

Thanks for a life time wonderful time and experience.

Room Tip: Suite 10. Lots of room and large bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Bob H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Just spent seven nights here, for diving. I was the only person at the resort! The staff were absolutely lovely and spoilt me!
They drove me to the supermarket and showed me around Colonia.
The aircon didn't work in the first room I was given, so they moved me immediately, nothing was too much trouble.
Ate at the restaurant a few nights and the food was lovely.
The dive team of Mike, Frank, John and Charlie were absolutely awesome. They really took care of me, and showed me lots of things I would probably have missed without their help. The shop was closed which was a shame, as I spent lots of money at the Manta Ray Bay hotel shop instead.
Would have liked to ability to make a hot drink in my room, but there was only a fridge, no kettle.
Overall really enjoyed my stay, would certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wendy S
Humboldt County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just got back from spending a week on the Island of Yap. We had six days of diving and a great cultural experience. We stayed at the Yap Pacific Dive Resort in Colonia. Colonia is the "big" town on the Island of Yap. What that means as it relates to Yap is you can walk anywhere you want to go in the town in less than 5 minutes. This is a wonderful place, with a slow pace and an opportunity to share in many local traditions that are not completely lost, yet.

The hotel was clean and quiet. The dive shop is located just down the steps from the hotel. There is one restaurant at the hotel and breakfast was included in the booking. If you booked three dives a day - then lunch was included as well. Dinner was a little expensive, but the quality, quantity and taste were exceptional. We did walk to "town" for dinner, but the food was always better at the hotel restaurant. Regardless of where we ate, they feed you a lot. Towards the end, we would order two dinners for three people.

Sushi, sashimi, local flavors and food appealing to most nations. Exceptional!

Diving - I loved the dive shop. Rustic is a good description. The crew was comprised of some amazing wonderful local men. Vince has been there for 14 years. He really understands the dive locations and you can tell loves his job. His boatman John was wonderful and very helpful with gear and care. Frank and Charles are working on their dive master certification - they are great dive leaders, and find the little things that I so love. Nudibrachs! It is not often that you get a crew of 4 dedicated to your dive experience, which is what made this experience so wonderful. It rained everyday! But 15' in a different direction always found better water and better weather. Beautiful calm and flat conditions. Turtles, Dolphins, Sharks, Cuttlefish - fun fun fun!

The Island - how can you not fall in love with the Island of Yap. A very slow pace. We took an all day island adventure tour. While the Island is small, the speed limit is 25mph. So it did take about 5 hours to tour every aspect of the island. Tamal, our guide was born and raised on the Island. He is a remarkable historian. He takes pride in his Island and the different villages that make up this rich cultural community.

We jumped through Guam, and had I had it over to do again - I would have stayed a few days in Guam. It was hard to Micronesia and Yap.

Room Tip: We asked for a room that overlooked the water. The hotel in on a hill, so the view is good. The hote...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Divinggoddess
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

The hotel was great! Sleepy with a great view. Breakfast was fantastic and included in the price of the room.
Pros
The ac was very cold in the room, which is amazing because the humidity is very burdensome in Yap.
You can walk to town.
There is a bay to walk/run around in the morning and afternoon.
There is a mini bar in the room
The rooms are huge and the king bed is comfortable.

Cons
The internet is only accessable in the lobby.
The TV's do not work in the rooms, they're lovely period piece decorations however.
There is a prison at the bottom of the hill from the hotel, and sometimes the inmates are rather loud.

Overall I saw all the other hotels downtown in Yap, and this was by far the nicest and most comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Amanda T
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Yap and my 1st time staying here. I found the hotel to be just perfect. The staff is extremely helpful and the rooms are absolutely lovely. The restaurant is equally nice, the staff is so great, and the food scrumptious. There's a nice pool area, too.

But the best part of this place is the dive shop. Dieter runs a good operation with highly experienced, superior local guides and boat captains. The manta rays – lots of them - were mind-blowing and the other sites were equally fantastic. Dieter’s shark feeding dives are really superb, too.

I emailed Dieter to book the room and dives and always got a quick pleasant reply. He made me feel very special with his nice emails.

After 2 or 3 dives we would get back to the resort and gather around in the evenings for fun and story-telling. Can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank fishbabe
Boulder, Co.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel! The staff were all welcoming and friendly. It's a short walk, maybe 5 minutes to the water.

I ate at the YPD restaurant most of the time I was there, and thought it was fine. I was on a package group snorkeling trip, so I didn't see their menu prices.

My highlight, besides seeing manta rays for the first time, was seeing a bamboo dance performance at a local village. I was mesmerized! If you are uncomfortable with women being topless, this might not be for you, but otherwise, I'd say to see all of the Yap cultural events that you can.

Tomag was an awesome guide in all our ativities! My 3 days in Yap were great! Thanks, YPD staff!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Boulder_Co_Patti
Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We LOVED our stay at Yap Pacific Dive Resort (YPDR). Thanks to the whole crew! Dieter and the Dive crew (Mike, John, Charles) were fantastic. Our land tour by Tamag was awesome. The two Loris in the restaurant were wonderful too! We got a great deal and it was worth every penny.

You will NOT be disappointed!

If you want an authentic place to stay in Yap, choose Yap Pacific Dive Resort! The value and diving guaranteed our return!

Rooms:
Beautiful colonial era building. Older and simple but clean, comfortable and very charming. Good A/C.

Service:
The entire staff knew us by name within 2 days! Very personalized service at every turn. They bent over backward to ensure we were comfortable. I didn't deserve how well they treated us!

Diving:
Superb. Superb. Superb. Hands down, simply phenomenal. Mike, John and Charles were fantastic. These guys knew the waters like pros. We dove with mantas ALONE! NO OTHER DIVERS! We had the entire cleaning station to ourselves - why? Because the YPDR crew knew the other boat schedules and got us their at the right time...not when it was crowded. Each day was completely custom. Gear was taken care of, snacks, water, all that - done. We had a mixed group of divers and snorkelers, adults and kids - no problem - each group got their own guide. Once a mooring cable broke in heavy wind while the kids were snorkeling! No problem - these guys were on it - fast, safe and efficient. I could go on much longer. Suffice to say, you cannot go wrong with these guys.

Activities: (Land tour and kayaking) - TONS of fun. Relaxing kayaking among the mangroves. Our land tour guide took us to HIS village! We met his chief, saw his Men's house. We learned about local flowers (biggest hibiscus EVER), sampled local fruit from trees on the side of the road, learned about local animals. Totally authentic. Totally cool. Wonderful tour of Yap from an island-raised Yapese guide. It was simply fantastic.

Value/Price: Dieter really went out of his way to make our stay great. The pool deck was being repaired and he added some free diving. I didn't feel nickled and dimed for everything.
Our three kids were welcomed and each given a cot in the room for no additional charge.

Food: The bar and restaurant were great! We ate one lunch at the other resort (Manta Ray) and were very unimpressed. The food at Yap Pacific was WAY better. The prices were reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dustin R

Been to Yap Pacific Dive Resort? Share your experiences!