“Relax and Enjoy Ambience at Okeefes”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Colonia
O'Keefe's Waterfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Los Angeles
“Relax and Enjoy Ambience at Okeefes”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I stayed at Okeefes Waterfront Inn last week with 3 other guys on a dive trip to Yap. We are all diving instructors or divemasters, and wanted to enjoy the pristine waters of this remote island state in the FSM.
This is the second time we stayed at Okeefes. The best reference for this is the fact we wanted to go back. Sure we wanted the diving, and that was our driver to return. But we could have stayed at several other locations instead of Okeefes. We never considered doing so for a moment.
Okeefes is a small inn on the water front in the harbor of Colonia, Yap. It is right next door from the Manta Ray Resort. Consequently, it is good to compare the two. First, the rooms at Okeefes are compact but elegantly maintained, and very tradiional and quaint. In a word, the rooms have "character". Second, each room at Okeefes is on the waterfront as the name suggests. Each has its own balcony with an unobstructed view of the harbor and the sunrises on Yap. We enjoyed wine and cocktails nightly from our balcony, and walked across the street to what we considered the best restaurant in Coloinia for the price, called the Oasis. What could be more convenient? The convenience was as thought the Inn had its own restaurant.
The food was better than and less than that offered at the Manta Ray Resort, so many of the Manta Ray's guests were found at the Oasis in the evenings for dinner.
The staff and management of the Inn are first rate, and very helpful. They were always polite and respectful for the privacy of the guests.
We wanted a rental car on our last day in Yap, so all we had to do was ask at the front desk, and the staff took care of it.
As stated above the trip was for scuba diving. Okkeefes management assisted me in the organization of our dive package and coordinated with our operator which was not the Manta Ray Resort operator. We ended up with better pricing as a result, and also we dived our own schedule and locations.
I plan to return to Yap in the future for the diving and I will once again stay at Okeefes. Why consider anywhere else?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mcleanlaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toto, Guam
Reviewed 15 March 2011

After making absolutely last-minute plans to visit Yap for the dances and cultural displays on Yap Day 2011 (actually two days, Feb. 28 and Mar. 1), I was particularly grateful that the staff at O'Keefes was willing to give me a room, even though it meant cleaning the room of a departing guest at 3:00 am so I could move in a couple of hours after I arrived at 12:30 a.m. As it turned out, another guest didn't show so I got into the room at 2:00 a.m. I've been traveling to Yap almost annually for 40 years and this was one of the most enjoyable visits I've had, in part because O'Keefes Waterfront Inn is such a comfortable place to stay. I'm especially grateful to Don and Kenag and Leo and the other staff who made the stay so comfortable and were so willing to help and answer questions about Yap Day activities. I've already recommended O'Keefes to other friends planning visits to Yap, and I'm looking forward to a return visit later this year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DR-GU
Hagatna, Guam
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We traveled to Yap to get away for a few days and stayed at OKeefe's Waterfront Inn. The staff were great and all knew our names before we got there. There are only about 5 rooms. There is a small restaurant across the street that is part of the inn with good food and more reasonable prices than Manta Ray Bay next door. We dove with Manta Ray Bay resort which was right next door and easy to walk to. If I remember correctly, Capt OKeefe was from Savannah, Georgia and the Inn is refurbished in polished wood giving it a nautical/colonial/Southern sort of ambiance. The owner sat and had a beer with us and was a treasure trove of information about the island and its history and culture. The scuba diving was great and I wouldn't miss it but Im glad we took a couple days to see the island too. We hiked one of the ancient stone paths across the island and even had a chance to help with one of the villages' projects to maintain and repair their part of one of the paths. We also got to see several of the village dances at a holiday fundraising festival they held at the community center in Colonia. The people were wonderful. I cant wait to go back to Yap and I will stay at OKeefes again to enjoy its atmosphere and people. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PyratePete
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We loved O'Keefe's! The diving in Yap was absolutely amazing, and it was right next door! It just doesn't get more convenient. We arrived late at night and the gentleman at the front desk was kind enough to call Yap divers, even though it was late. Their representative came right over to introduce himself to us and assure us we were all set to dive the next morning. He even arranged for someone to return the next morning to pick up all our dive gear and carry it next door for us.

As for the hotel, we couldn't have been happier. It was really cozy and charming. It felt like staying at a quaint little inn in England, only on a tropical island instead. There were plenty of restaurant options within walking distance. Each evening we would pre-order our breakfast for the following morning and it would be delivered to us quite early before we would begin our day of diving. All the rooms are set up beautifully and are directly on the water.

Also, the hotel is kind enough to extend a late check out to you due to most airlines flight times being so late at night. I believe the late check out allows you to stay in your room until around 5pm, but we asked to keep the room right up until our 2am flight, and were only charged half a nights room for that. Which is more than reasonable, I think.

My husband and I are hoping to return to Yap before we leave Guam and will definitely be staying at O'Keefe's again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juliefnyc
London
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We had an absolutely wonderfulb stay at O'Keefe's Inn on the island of Yap. If you are staying on Yap this is the place to stay - it is perfect! Our room was really beautiful and very tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. Each of the rooms has a lovely terrace onto the sea which was great. The ambience is so perfect and you are made to feel very special by the staff. The staff are all incredibly helpful and work really hard to make the stay very memorable. It was great to be somewhere so quiet where there were no cars or traffic.

The inn is decorated beautifully throughout with lovely furniture and furnishings. The bar is great and served up a wonderful G&T which was a lovely surprise after being on a different island.

The Inn is owned and managed by Don who was just amazing! He was so helpful and organised all of our diving and sorted out a private trip around the island for us. His knowledge of the island and the people was really helpful.

I simply cannot recommend this place more highly. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tooting_diver
NYC
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We had a wonderfully charming, adventurous, and utterly comfortable stay at O'Keefe's in November of 2009. Living in New York City, where the workaday routine can make one's life feel pretty small, we strive to plan at least one lengthy life-enhancing adventure a year. This year's pick was Micronesia, and expectations were high! Our journeys to Yap and then Palau did not disappoint, and O'Keefe's was a major factor in our fantastic experience.

First, O'Keefe's is centrally located with respect to the main scuba diving scene. Manta Ray Bay is literally a hop, skip, and a jump away. This was good since part of the reason for the trip was for me to become certified in scuba diving. O'Keefe's effortlessly coordinated my lessons with the Manta Ray Bay dive shop, so all I had to do was roll out of bed and show up for class (after a wonderful breakfast ready and waiting for us in a specially arranged dining section of the Inn). Even though Manta Ray Bay has rooms as well, I preferred staying at a separate location with more of a homey feel. In truth, everything is close in this tiny village of Yap, but O'Keefe's is literally planted right in the heart of town, near a quaint cafe (Oasis Cafe), Antiques shop, convenience store, and rent-a-car locale.

Second, O'Keefe's is beautifully decorated in an old Savannah style and has charm to spare. It's instantly cozy, making you want to curl up and read a book, which I did in the library across the hall from me a few days. Because the Inn is quite small (it has a handful of guest rooms), you have the impression of being in your own summer house. Although you do have a feeling of privacy (which is great), someone is always around when you need something/have a question. Don, the owner, definitely has figured out the right blend of being accommodating/letting you have privacy. I loved the little personal notes we received upon arrival and when departing.

Third, Don is quite integrated into the workings of the town and can definitely assist you with whatever you are trying to do or learn. He defines helpful. He helped to arrange for a convenient rental vehicle for us, and we used it to tour the more remote sections of the village. During our drive, we ran into a group of local boys playing basketball, and they graciously allowed me (a small pale blond woman) to interrupt their game and take a shot (I missed!). We actually bumped into Don randomly when touring the Visitor's center, an unexpected highlight of the trip. We talked to Don and a member of the staff for over an hour about the role of Yap in WWII. It was fascinating. We also learned of other excursions that can be done in Micronesia and the distinct personalities of the various islands throughout.

We hope to go back someday but in the meantime will just have to have vicarious trips through other travelers who decide to venture to Yap and O'Keefe's as a result of this and similar reviews. Remember to share your story : )

Bon Voyage!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank NycSquirmy
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 March 2010

O'Keefe's is a quiet, well-appointed inn with a charming atmosphere. The staff is attentive but unobtrusive. The views are great; the rooms open directly on to the water. The Inn is located on the main street, convenient to restaurants and Colonia but traffic can be heavy (for Yap). There is a small park right next door.

As noted by others, the Oasis Restaurant is across the street; you can charge your meals to your room. The Inn has a lounge and bar open in the evenings.

The owner, Don Evans, has a wealth of information about things to do and Yap in general. He is on site daily.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MN_Walkers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colonia
Manta Ray Bay Resort
#5 of 5 in Colonia
Ulithi Adventure Lodge
Ulithi Adventure Lodge
#1 of 1 in Falalop

Been to O'Keefe's Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!