“A truly unexpected surprise!”
Review of Matanuska Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton
Matanuska Lodge
“A truly unexpected surprise!”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I wanted to take my husband somewhere unique, a change from the standard Alyeska or Anchorage hotels, for a birthday surprise. We were both so very pleasantly surprised I felt like it was my birthday too! Dianne was the most gracious host preparing a delicious steak dinner complete with apple pie.

After dinner we enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and finished the evening relaxing by the fire in our room. The home is beautiful, but it's the special little touches Dianne and Brenda add that set Matanuska Lodge apart. From the luxury bathrobes, to the locally produced bottled water, to the funky decor and Godiva chocolates, we truly felt pampered! Breakfast was phenomenal and Dianne made sure there wasn't anything missing. We have five kids and couldn't be away for more than a day, but this was absolutely the perfect getaway. Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank GinaW-AK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The Matanuska Lodge is wonderful for visitors from out of state and also for local Alaska residents! My husband and I enjoyed the hot tub, sauna, a beautiful room with fireplace. The dinner was delicious. We went for a paddle boat ride in the pond and just had a BLAST together. Great location for a couple getaway.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Arcata, California
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The Matanuska Lodge is a wonderful experience in a beautiful place. While the location and lodgings are enough to deserve this rating as you can see from the other reviews, the thing that makes this place special are the folks who run the lodge: Dianne and Brenda are the finest hosts you can imagine. You are met like a family member from the start and treated to all sorts of delicious meals. The dinners are modestly priced and the breakfast is part of the basic package, but we would always recommend eating dinner there. I have been fortunate to stay in many places in countries around the world and few rival the experience in store for you at the Matanuska. It is just over 90 minutes from Anchorage and well worth the drive if you are on a limited trip, or you can incorporate it into a longer sojourn into the Alaska interior. They are open all year round and while we have only been there 2 seasons, I hear winter there is really a treat. They also have a lovely view of the Matanuska Glacier - one of the many local attractions. My sister and her family accompanied me on my first stay there - they are very kid friendly despite being a very romantic place. A must stay if you are anywhere in the south central region of Alaska.

Room Tip: We like the Glacier room best but have stayed in 3 other rooms, all of them roomy but cozy and with...
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Matanuska lodge is a real gem, the lodge,setting and interior are stunning, it is decorated and furnished to a very high standard. Brenda the owner certainly has a flair when it comes to interior design and has the balance between style and comfort just right. All the style and charm would be for nought if it was not for the lodges other gem, Dianne. Her care and attention towards us during our stay was second to none, we were made to feel completely at home and fully relaxed in her company. The B&B trade is all about the personal touch and Dianne had it in spades, she is a charming and interesting hostess who made our stay superb rather than just super.

Room Tip: Pick any room, i'm sure that you will not be disappointed
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Don't really know where to start with this review. Everything from the location, to the lodge itself, to the meals, to the hosts were all fantastic.

Here goes:

Location - in a superb location beside the Matanuska Glacier. The view from our room was incredible - the fall colours were amazing.

The lodge - the architecture of the place is incredible - possibly one of the nicest places I have every stayed in.

Meals - Brenda, the owner is a wonderful cook and prepares lovely meals - we particularly enjoyed our "special" breakfast! (Private joke and Brenda knows what we mean here!!).

Our room was wonderful as was the whole lodge - we were lucky to have the lodge to ourselves and this meant it was nice to sit with Brenda and share travel stories.

We made use of the hot tub outside - very decadent to us Scots! - and it was great to sit outside and enjoy with peace and quiet.

Dianne and Brenda were very accomodating when we had to change our original reservation date due to our original flight being cancelled from the UK due to Hurricane Irene.

My only regret is that we only stayed here for one night - it's the type of place you should go to for a few days to sit back and relax and make use of the facilities and go kayaking on the lake at the back of the Lodge. I wish I didn't live around 8000 miles away or I would go there every weekend!

So thanks to Brenda and Dianne - you have a Lodge that is world class and we will return one year.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Spent one wonderful night at the lodge, just was not long enough, however, planning a trip back soon. Diane was a wonderful host and really made the evening special. My boyfriend took me for my birthday and Diane had a Happy Birthday sign up and a card as well. It was a very nice touch to a wonderful evening. We took the paddleboat out, they have canoes and kayaks as well on the lake behind the lodge. We had the Glacier room and LOVED it!!! It was a very special day at a very special Lodge. I have lived in Alaska for seven years and try to get out and explore it and this was truly amazing. It is a must if you are visiting around this area!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 26 June 2010

If you're anywhere near Anchorage, you owe it to yourself to spend some time at the Matunuska Lodge. We spent 2 delightful nights in June and loved every minute. The owner/hostess pampered, entertained and fed us to our heart's content. Outstanding!

Matanuska Lodge's web site doesn't do justice to the beauty, style, comfort and luxury found here. From the interior decor, to the pool table, the hot tub, the porch, and the canoe, it had everything we could hope for, and more.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Matanuska Lodge? Share your experiences!