“30th Anniversary Alaska Trip”
Review of Matanuska Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton
Matanuska Lodge
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the Matanuska Glacier Lodge on the last night of a 10 day motorcycle trip. We selected this based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. After staying at several very nice B&B's on the trip, this was our favorite. Brenda and her friends (who were helping for the summer) were wonderful hosts. The lodge itself is beautiful with the log exterior and large glass windows set against the mountains in the back. From the front porch you can see the glacier. When we first arrived the decorating seemed to be a bit over the top (compared to our house), but after meeting Brenda it so fits her personality. It is whimsical and creative and definitely grew on us. We stayed in the room right off the entry with a fireplace and jacuzzi. The shower is a walk-in tiled room that felt so good after a long day on the motorcycles. The extras here are what really makes the lodge. The log exterior, workout room and billiard room in the garage, the hot tube, fire pit, and lake with canoes/kayaks/paddle boats for guests to use. Then there was the breakfast of fresh fruit and french toast that was so delicious. Our only complaint was our own in that we had to end our trip and only stayed here for one day so we really didn't have time to tour the glacier and to fully enjoy all the lodge had to offer. We will definitely return and stay longer when we come back to Alaska.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the fireplace and jacuzzi. It had access to the outside deck and the com...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank as3dgfad6

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Driving the Glenn Hiway to scout a bike ride next year. We used to live in Valdez, and knew the road, love the Matanuska Glacier... there's something deep here, like Shasta in N. California. So, when we saw the sign on the road at about mile 100, we pulled in on a lark, to see what turned out to be the best place we've stayed on our trip.

Brenda Goldberg and compadres have built the lodge over 9 years into something unique. Imagination, not stuffiness, is the theme, and there's a ton of it everywhere you look. The food is good - we had 2 fine breakfasts (included) and a great steak dinner (extra and worth it). Brenda and friends are good company, but good inn keepers too, leaving you to your own devices yet available when they need to be.

It's not often you can stay in a good place, eat well, sleep like the dead, and have access to the kind of wild scenery that surrounds Matanuska Lodge. I'm always a little hestitant to tell people about a great place, but I can't pass this one up. We'll be back.

Room Tip: 3 identical rooms above have big baths in-room, the one downstairs can accommodate persons with limi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msb8
Reviewed 8 September 2013

After staying at a bunch of, at-best, mediocre hotels and, at-worst, shady and skeevy hotels, throughout our 2-week vacation in Alaska, my husband and I could not believe our luck with the fantabulous Matanuska Lodge. I had called Brenda, the owner, earlier in the day to let her know that we would be arriving around midnight. She said to walk right in and make ourselves at home in the Matanuska room and inquired whether we'd like her to turn the fireplace on for our arrival and turn down the bed. I excitedly agreed to both! We found the lodge by the blue lights illuminating the driveway and walked into paradise. I melted into the soft comfy mattress giddy with happiness, watched the fireplace crackle and told my husband, " Forget the glacier tomorrow, I just want to hang out here all day!"

The lodge is a cozy, wistful, colorful, romantic, happy place with lovely views of the glacier! I had the urge to run around and snap pictures of everything I saw inside and out, lest I forget how I felt that very moment.

Our first morning, Pattie and Elliott, Brenda's friends who are helping out at the lodge for the summer, made us a yummy breakfast and we sat around and chatted. They were really amazing hosts!!! We felt like we were staying with friends of the family who did everything they could to make us feel comfortable and happy. Pattie even packed us delicious sandwiches and snacks for our glacier track (and even a sandwich for the grateful guide). I was thrilled that we booked 2 nights at this place, and when we got back to the lodge after our glacier trek, we met the new guests who had arrived and hung out with them, Pattie, Elliott and Brenda, chatting, snacking and watching tv. Breakfast on the second morning was even yummier, with french toast, quiche and yogurt, granola and fruit.

Our stay at the Matanuska Lode was a really lovely way to end a terrific vacation and we hope to come back to Alaska and stay at the lodge again (I still have to try out that hot tub and meet the moose who like to hang out in the backyard!).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shnitzy
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I will never forget my stay there. Of course the place is magic, the rooms are amazingly decorated, the food is delicious. But what really makes this lodge so special is the feeling of being at home, with the exception that you live in a dream 52-acres property with a private lake, a big outside hot tub, and one of the most amazing house I have seen in my life. A true lifetime experience. Plus, the value for money is just fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Grégory M
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Our stay here was delightful - magestic location overlooking the glacier, beautiful log home that is filled with interesting eclectic items, very comfortable accommodations, delightful and friendly owner, and delicious breakfasts. It is on the Glenn Highway, about 2 hours from the Anchorage Airport.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My 3 friends and I stayed at the Matanuska Lodge based on a recommendation from MICA (see my review of MICA Guides) so that we could be five minutes away from MICA for our morning ice climb the following day. If you are looking for a clean, homey, and authentic Alaskan experience, Matanuska Lodge is a fantastic option. The lodge is also the home of the owners who live upstairs and rent out both the main floor guest rooms and the lower level guest rooms. You can't help but feel that you're visiting your Aunt Brenda who is doing everything to make sure you have a good stay. The house is beautifully decorated with cute signs and knick-knacks. (Beware if you have a toddler!) In our room we had a great shower, a jet tub (not usable because of run off from the glacier that time of year), and l'occtaine bathroom supplies. We were also given Matanuska Lodge water bottles and hologram luggage tags as free gifts. My favorites were the hand soap in the shape of rose petals, and bowls full of Godiva and Ghirardelli chocolates everywhere you look. At night we used their outdoor hot tub and were visited by a moose who came to the salt lick on the lodge's property! It was quite a memorable experience. We didn't use their kayaks but we did take a walk down to their scenic lake for some photos. We had told the owner not to worry about breakfast because we were all on special diets (kosher). Despite this, she brought home grocery bags of gorgeous organic produce from a neighborhood farm and told us to take whatever we wanted. The produce was delicious and provided us with healthy snacks for our ice climbing activity. When we packed up our bags late the next day (after ice climbing) we saw that the owners were hosting a party for the neighborhood. We ran into all the guides from MICA and felt like part of the Matanuska family, if just for a brief moment in time. All in all, even though Matanuska was out of the way, both MICA and Matanuska Lodge make this a worthwhile stop on any trip.

Room Tip: The Matanuska Room had an electric fireplace. I think the upstairs rooms are fancier. The downstairs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chanybean
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed in several b&b's over the course of our 8-day vacation and this was by far the best! Brenda and her friends (who helped out while we were there) were warm and inviting, the food was excellent, the rooms very clean and elegant. It felt like we could be staying at a friend's home. The wrap-around deck at the back of the house looks out over a very well-kept yard, a beautiful lake and mountains beyond. In the other direction (and the view out of the room we stayed in) you see the glacier and mountains. A truly lovely stay.... we live in California, but talked about going back sometime in the future to stay there with friends and celebrate a major birthday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Matanuska Room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Matanuska Lodge? Share your experiences!