“Worst place we've stayed at!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Talkeetna Alaska Hostel International

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talkeetna
Talkeetna Alaska Hostel International
Lund, Sweden
“Worst place we've stayed at!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Have seen a lot of positive reviews here on Tripadvisor, but the only explanation must be that the place has switched owners. The place in itself looked more like a junkyard than a hostel. Inside it smelled very badly and our room couldn't have been cleaned for weeks. Our sheets were dirty and the bathroom was perhaps even dirtier.
We've stayed at a lot of cheap places and we're not picky, but we ended up leaving the place and paying a few more bucks for a motel room.
Would strongly advise against staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drboombatz
ColleenTalkeetna, Manager at Talkeetna Alaska Hostel International, responded to this review, 18 June 2015
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the the Talkeetna Hostel last season. I apologize for your overwhelmingly negative experience at the hostel. The place was very poorly managed last season, and we no longer have a relationship with that former manager. I'm Colleen, the new manager, and I've spent the season getting the place back to the same high standards that previous managers have had. The hostel is now clean, organized, and welcoming. I live in the hostel, and am a very proactive and friendly manager. If you happen to come back through Talkeetna, I'd love the opportunity to show you what improvements have been made. Thank you very much for your feedback, and I hope that the rest of your Alaskan vacation was more positive.

Talkeetna Hostel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moreno Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

If you are a family, this is not the place for you. It is dirty with mold in bathroom and spider webs hanging off the fixtures. The kitchen is clean but that is the only place. When we arrived, instead of changing the sheets, the guy just went in and made the bed. Hence, we slept on our sleeping bags. The front step is broken entering the house - it would only take a few nails to fix and the grounds were unkempt. People sleep out on the couches in the living room without any covers on them and the recliner is even broken. On the up side, the people were very interesting and provided for some very interesting conversation and the place is within walking distance of town. I have never stayed in a dirtier place.

Room Tip: Be wary of this place. Do not take your kids here. It is filthy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dauntless1022

Talkeetna Hostel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Talkeetna hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Don't go there! It's super dirty! The filth on the floors and in the bathroom shows it hasn't been cleaned for months !

There are molds on the bathroom's ceiling. The toilet inside is leaking or so. Anyways, the floor was always wet. There were towels all over and old cleaning products as well.

The guy taking care of the hostel isn't really taking care of anything. Filth just accumulates !

It could be a fun place, but there is some serious cleaning to be done!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank matei d

Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed in the little cabin in the back with 2 bunk beds and 1 (3rd story?) loft bed. We are a family with a 16 and 22 year old. Cabin was clean with an electric heater, several electrical outlets, plenty of shelving for our stuff and hooks for coats. Bathrooms were very clean and showers were hot! We really enjoyed our stay and also enjoyed the company of the owners. The only drawback is the proximity to town. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the middle of town, which is really not a big deal, unless its raining and cold. If you have a car, it's no issue at all. We would definitely stay here again. Talkeetna has great food, too - Roadhouse for breakfast, Mile High Pizza and Brewery for lunch/dinner. K2 Aviation for a great flight tour. Would have done Mahays jet boat tour, but they had mechanical problems.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I agree with all the positive reviews of Talkeetna Alaska Hostel International. Kathrin is simply awesome and the place has a wonderful, low-key, relaxed energy. The room we stayed in (actually, an RV in the back) was very clean and quiet and I had the best night's sleep I'd had in weeks. Plus the bathrooms were sparkling. Most of all, though, I really liked Kathrin herself. I didn't have a chance to meet Shane b/c he was away, but Kathrin was a very gracious, personable host who's easy to talk to and very accommodating. A great place!

Room Tip: I really liked staying in the back.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

This hostel is rad and Kathrin is awesome! She even helped us book a second night in the hostel last minute when we changed our travel plans to come back to stay in Talkeetna another night. We stayed in VW vans and they were super clean, cozy, and comfortable. Plus there was a magical Jimi Hendrix blacklight poster on the ceiling. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ouray, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay in Talkeetna, look no further!!! Kathrine and Shane promote an awesomely homey atmosphere, where no matter how long you stay, you feel like family. This is my second year visiting the hostel, and I would highly recommend it to anybody who is looking for a comfortable place to stay in Talkeetna. As a climber it is nice to have some good outdoor space to dry, sort, and pack gear for trips into the range.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business