“Great food and good food”
Review of Base Camp Bistro

Base Camp Bistro
Ranked #17 of 26 Restaurants in Talkeetna
Cuisines: Contemporary
Sioux Falls, SD
“Great food and good food”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were lucky enough to spend a glorious evening on the deck of the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge Bistro Grill. The menu had lots of variety on it, slightly spendy, but what place doesn't cost an arm & a leg in Alaska. The view from the deck of Denali & the Alaskan Range was spectacular and the beer was excellent. We just ate dinner there at the Bistro, because it is less expensive than the dinning room and you get that fantastic view. Food was good & plentiful but was not our favorite Talkeetna place to eat

• Visited June 2014

Chelsea, Alabama
“Great food even better view!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Must try place even if Denali is not in view ... cold local brews and the food is terrific. Pulled pork sandwich is to die for and the Halibut Quesadilla was absolutely delish! Wait staff is friendly and attentive and the view holy cow the view on a clear day is unforgettable!

• Visited May 2014
Newport News, VA
“Good Food - Cold Beer”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband & I enjoyed our meal & beers at the Base Camp Bistro. The deck was nice but unfortunately it was a cloudy day and we couldn't see much. Our waiter was friendly & attentive.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience!!!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The food was great - but I am sure my extreme hunger played a little bias to that. I do think that my Chicken Pot Pie was very good, but not the best thing I ever tasted.

However, the view, the staff, and the ambiance in its entirety was amazing. It had to be one of my most memorable experiences. I definitely enjoyed Sarah, our waitress, who we seemed to click well with.

Visited June 2013
Maryland
“Poor Food; Amazing Alcohol Selection”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Base Camp Bistro is a restaurant at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. My experience was at the bar which allowed you to order from the Bistro's menu and the Foraker Dining Room Menu.

I ordered the Halibut from the Forakar Dining Room Menu and was disappointed. While the halibut was excellent with a great taste; the risotto was uneatable. Full of undercooked grains; the bartender served most of it to the garbage pail. The halibut was also topped with some odd tomato-flavored sauce that was awful--full of garlic or maybe it was frozen, but it made the flavor off. The fish itself was amazing--the toppings they tried to add were a disaster.

The desert I had, Baked Alaska, was good but not great. Nothing made it stand-out, but it was a decent serving.

The bartender did his best to serve the patrons at the bar--but was simply overwhelmed with the pure number of people at the bar and the restaurant. Not only did he have to service the bar but also all the alcohol for both restaurants which meant he was running around like mad. The fact that the hotel doesn't have Air Conditioning only added to the misery--both for the bartender and the guests. Without A/C everyone was sweating in the hot Talkeetna summer. At least the manager did jump in to help once the backlog was noticeable.

The alcohol selection at this place was the only saving grace. With an awesome selection of local draft beers, scotch, and port--I couldn't fault the bar for any of its choices there.

But, with a poor location (no A/C), overworked service, and poor food, I'd pass this place if you have a choice at eating anywhere else. Travel down to Talkeetna and enjoy some of the local restaurants.

• Visited June 2013