“Check one off the bucket list”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dave Fish Alaska

Dave Fish Alaska
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Great Fishing & Rafting Adventures out of Talkeetna Alaska. We offer Half & Full Day options for both Fishing & scenic Rafting. For the true Alaska experience join us on one our fully guided overnight river trips!
Camden, Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Check one off the bucket list”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Ever since I learned how to fly fish back in 2000 I had a dream of one day going to Alaska with my father and fishing. Well thanks to Skip @ Dave Fish Alaska I can check that off my list. On our 5 hour float and fish, we had a great time fishing Montana Creek and even though we didn't catch a lot of fish, at no fault of our guide, we had a blast. I landed a couple nice rainbows with the last one been a dandy and my dad even hooked into a 35+ pound king salmon which he didn't land but had a fun time fighting. I am not sure Skip knew how much that trip meant to me but it is something I will cherish forever. So if you have some time and what to experience Alaska fishing check out these guys and ENJOY!

Visited July 2014

Johns Creek, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Could have been better...”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This review is a bit late (we went August 2013) so hopefully Dave has gotten a few things together and made the experience a better one. Dave arrived on time to pick up me and my husband in Talkeetna. We were on the land portion of a Princess Alaskan tour. He brought a guy friend with him and it was just the four of us. Prior to booking I had communicated with Dave and his wife via email that my husband specifically wanted to Fly Fish and we also gave them our shoe sizes for waders/boots for our four hour trip.
It had rained the day before and some that morning, but was now cloudy with no rain so the weather was fine. We arrived at the site and put on our boots. Mine were way too big and he didn’t have any waders for us although he had his on! We walked about a ¼ mile along some very muddy trails into some woods and stopped along a small river to fish. He said we wouldn’t be able to fly fish from this side of the river since there were too many trees. My husband was determined to fly fish and waded across the river without him and attempted to fly fish from the other side. Of course he got soaked without any waders and water filled his boots. He caught a two pink salmon, but there are so many that if you don’t catch one it’s because you haven’t fished more than 10 minutes. I caught a tree branch, a broken fishing pole, something else I can’t remember and then finally a fish-a pink salmon!
I’m not saying we didn’t have a nice time as we are “go with the flow” kind of people, but I was annoyed that we had specifically asked to fly fish and he didn’t offer any explanation as to why that wasn’t happening. Dave is very quiet so don’t expect a lot of conversation. Here are some things he could add to his services. Towels, hand sanitizer, waders, bug spray! We were muddy, stinky and being bitten. The only thing to wipe my hands on were my clothes. I would think an experienced fisherman would supply at least some of these basics. I’ve included some photos. Like I said we still enjoyed ourselves, but it could have been much much better!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank ATLGAgal
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“alaska weather”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

dave did try his absolute best but the weather did not cooperate totally. our expierence with dave was fantastic. we were catching fish from the moment of our arrival. dave is an expert rafter in our view how he maneuvered the rapids was great.....he was very knowledgeable of the area and the fishing and he is a true expert guide the only reason for the very good review was the 22hours of continual rain we encountered

Visited June 2014
Winston Salem, North Carolina, Usa
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent Float & Fish!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I wanted a real Alaskan fishing experience - and we got it!

We were more than pleased with our 5 hour float and fish with Skip! He was accommodating to my husband's fly fishing needs and my reel fishing needs. He was such a pleasure to work with and great company. And when I got too cold to get out of the boat, he helped me fish from the raft! What a gentleman.

We had the best experience! We would recommend Dave Fish Alaska and Skip to anyone considering this adventure.

Visited June 2013
Santa Rosa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Shhhhhh....Don't tell anybody.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

After fishing the last 3 summers with Dave and his team...I am conflicted. I want fellow fly fishing brothers to know how much fun, how professional, how knowledgable, and how safe the experience of fishing with Dave and his team truly is...I feel indebted to Dave to say so...but I don't want my preferred dates to book out! I met Dave by chance after two other guides came up short. Upon enquiry, Dave and his wife, Heather, were and have been extremely generous with their time during the planning process. Fly fishermen pay attention to detail...strategy, process, menu, and on and on. Dave's easygoing style and years of experience yields a no nonsense, filtered clarity that removes the anxiety from the planning process. His knowledge of so many different rivers, especially where to camp, is key...if you float by...you're toast. But Dave knows. So you're good. He is a great cook and readily accepts menu requests. He brings the extra shade canopy for cover if a rain shower passes over or if you want to nap in the shade when the Alaskan sun can be relentless. I would be remiss if didn't mention his guiding partner Skip...Skip is GREAT! What a character! He is quick to entertain with stories or a guitar...and Skip is a wonderful instructor for the beginner. Very patient. Very kind. He took my young brother in law from the Netherlands under wing allowing me to let go and enjoy...anybody who has taken a newbie understands how precious the days are...how precious each drift is in Alaska...knowing that my brother in law was in good hands allowed me to relax and enjoy the adventure for myself. So...I got my dates set...I'm good. Call Dave and get yours. Don't second guess the decision...you have found the right guide. Just get ready to stick some bows, kings, silvers, grayling on dries...whatever...just give him a call and have a chat...that costs nothing...
Kevin O