“We had problems, but the hosts made up for it”
Review of Talkeetna Chalet

Talkeetna Chalet
Ranked #3 of 17 Talkeetna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The property is quite good, and tastefully done up. When we had booked, the only thing available was the Northwoods room, and we took it. The site did mention that the room was small; it turned out to be really tiny and very cramped. The bathroom was not ensuite, but located across the hall (this we did not know earlier). I guess the other rooms are much larger and more comfortable. My review is based on the room that we had booked, which frankly was a bit too small for a couple.

We arrived late at about 9:30pm, but the hosts were quite accommodating with that. Wife went for a shower in the night, and reported that there was no hot water ! It was too late by then to disturb the hosts (who live two floors up), so we decided to wait till the morning. In the morning at 7am, there was no improvement....still ice cold water in the bathroom. I walked up to the breakfast area in my pyjamas, and the hostess Andi looked at me and said : "I know, there is no hot water...the water heater in your bathroom has blown up ! These things happen !" She added that the problem was only in our bathroom, but since all other rooms were occupied, there was nothing she could do ! I could not believe what I was hearing - how could anyone expect us to shower in ice cold Alaskan water ?

I must have expressed my disbelief quite strongly, and returned to my cramped room. Then Andi appeared, suggested that we wait for awhile as the neighboring room guests were about to leave for the day, and she would tidy up the bathroom and we could shower there. There was no other alternative, so we had to consent. She even added that she would not be charging us for the stay - this was a nice gesture, but not what we had wanted on a vacation ! Anyway, she returned a short while later and refunded me the 50% advance deposit that I had paid, and reported that we could now shower in the neighboring room, which we did.

When we went up for breakfast, both Andi and her husband were profusely apologetic. They were nice people after all....we had just been very unlucky. After breakfast, when we were leaving, it did not feel proper to have stayed for free. So we insisted that she take back the 50% deposit which she had refunded, as a 50% discount was more than adequate for the problems faced. She accepted it with hesitation, which made us feel less guilty.

I guess the property is good and well decorated...we were plain unlucky, so I cannot help giving this bad review. Also, I strongly feel that the Northwoods room is way too small to be offered to a couple (and hence overpriced); perhaps OK for a single traveler. But the hosts are wonderful people, and somewhat made up for the bad experience that we had.

Room Tip: Choose anything other than the Northwoods room if you are a couple; it is too too small.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank indiancouple
displacedyankee01, Owner at Talkeetna Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

The guests initially states that the room size was the reason for the tone of this review, but then goes on to state that an unpredictable appliance failure was the primary issue. I will address both seperately.

The first being the size of the Northwoods room. The guest initially stated “My review is basesd on the room that we had booked, which frankly is too small for a couple” and goes on to say “I strongly feel that the Northwoods room is way too small to be offered to a couple”. He finally remarks in the Room Tip – “Choose anything other than the Northwoods Room if you are a couple” The guest does acknowledge visinting the website, where the reservations were made online and seeing the notification stating that the room is small. The same webpage goes on to further describe the room by saying “This room is perfect for singles traveling together or families needing extra space.” No concern regarding the room was made during the stay. When you consider that the price includes a full hot breakfast for two, a thirty dollar value, Wi-Fi, and in room satellite TV, this room has been considered a bargain by all other travelers including numerous couples traveling on a budget.

The guest then states “…..we were just plain unlucky so I cannot help giving this bad review” I assume this in reference to the appliance failure leading to a hotwater outage. The system that had failed serves the Northwoods bathroom as well as the kitchen. While initially preparing breakfast that morning we first became aware of a problem and had started some preliminary troubleshooting prior to the guest coming up. I guess I am a bit taken aback that after realizing that there was a problem the night before and not reporting it to anyone, the guest was angry that the problem still existed the following morning and was demanding an immediate resolution. The system is a fairly complicated, on-demand system and some time was needed to resolve this issue. The guests were provided with a basin of warm water to freshen up for breakfast, allowing some additional time for correcting the problem. As stated in the review, other guests whose room was not affected by the outage and who were heading out early, better understood the emergent situation and graciously offered to allow the use of their bathroom. That bathroom was completely cleaned and freshened up, allowing the reviewing guests the opportunity to shower in a fresh facility. At no time was there any implication or suggestion that anybody take a cold shower. Luckily, we were able to arrange for a certified, licensed technician to show up on a Sunday morning in rural Alaska, and the hot water was restored to the guests room prior to them departing.

Our highest concern has always been customer satisfaction, as shown by all our other reviews. Upon realizing this guest had been inconvenienced, we provided them with a full refund to compensate for their troubles. Most things we can control, others things such as sudden equipment failures we cannot. We feel we did everything we could under the circumstances and regret any difficulties these guest experienced.

Management
Talkeetna Chalet Bed and Breakfast

There are newer reviews for Talkeetna Chalet

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I don't know where to begin saying how much we enjoyed our stay in Talkeetna. Actually, I do. The great stay there began when we discovered the Talkeetna Chalet. Dave & Andi are awesome hosts and their property is exquisite: clean, well kept and comfy, with computer and wifi services. My sister and her husb, and my brother & his wife & grandson stayed in the new cabins Dave & Andi built down the hill from the B&B. They were equally well-decorated and contained all the comforts of home, just like the B&B. We were there over the solstice, but sleep wasn't a problem with the room-darkening shades. And the best part of all - we saw Denali from their huge dining room windows three of the four days we were there! Breakfast was a treat every morning, and when we needed help deciding what to do in the area, Andi knew exactly how to get us the information we needed. If you stay anywhere near Talkeetna, Alaska, do yourself a favor and stay at this top notch facility. Thanks, Dave & Andi. You're the best!!

Room Tip: I mistakenly rated a swimming pool that doesn't exist. They have a whirlpool, but we were too b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Though they have a hot tub, we did not use it. But we saw a moose as we were driving from the property.

Please do visit them. The food is great. The folks have 2 little cabins on property and several lovely rooms in the main house. No mosquitos in the rooms! Yeah.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite, pay a little more. Also view the Denali video they have, it gives you good ideas...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My husband & I stayed one night at the Talkeetna Chalet B&B in July 2012. We enjoyed our accommodations very much, and the innkeepers, Andi & Dave were open, honest, friendly folks. We didn't know anything about the town beforehand, choosing Talkeetna as simply a stopping point between Anchorage & Denali NP, so we were pleasantly surprised to find such a quirky, artsy town. The B&B is a couple of miles before you get to "downtown", but that was just a quick drive. It would've been a delightful bike ride, had there been any good bikes to rent. There's a bike path the entire length of the Talkeetna spur road, and many locals cycle to and from town.

The view from the Chalet is gorgeous, and the bird feeders keep you entertained throughout breakfast, which was delicious, with plenty for everyone. We can highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently spent one night with our family. We had 2 rooms. One for my wife and I and one for our teenagers. The beds were very comfy and the bathrooms were newly rehabbed. The upper floor had a great living room overlooking the grounds. Outside the windows were bird feeders. We were able to see some beautiful birds feeding. They also had a jacuzzi in the front yard. When I tried it, the water was nice and hot and the air was nice and cool with a light drizzle. You heard the breeze in the trees and the birds chirping away. Sooooo relaxing. The comfy robes they provided came in very handy on the walk back to the room.We had to leave early in the morning so we were not able to enjoy a hot breakfast, but Andrea was so nice to pack us a breakfast. I would highly reccomend this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Great place!!! Fantastic breakfast. Every place the owners suggested that we go for dinner or coffe was top notch. Would love to go back for the northern lights. Only stayed 2 nights but could have stayed a week, even in the smallest room. Andy made wonderful breakfasts both mornings and even started early so we could catch an early flight to the glacier. Cookies or brownies in the afternoon, how can you go wrong?

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed in the cabin separate from the B&B and it was very cute and comfortable. It was nice to be out in the woods, but only a short drive to town. The only thing we did not realize was that the full breakfast was an additional charge if you don't stay in the main house(we ended up going to talkeetna roadhouse for breakfast and the cinnamon roll was delicious). The cabins do not have internet, but you can go up to the main house to use it. Andrea was very friendly and we definitely enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple