The property is quite good, and tastefully done up. When we had booked, the only thing available was the Northwoods room, and we took it. The site did mention that the room was small; it turned out to be really tiny and very cramped. The bathroom was not ensuite, but located across the hall (this we did not know earlier). I guess the other rooms are much larger and more comfortable. My review is based on the room that we had booked, which frankly was a bit too small for a couple.
We arrived late at about 9:30pm, but the hosts were quite accommodating with that. Wife went for a shower in the night, and reported that there was no hot water ! It was too late by then to disturb the hosts (who live two floors up), so we decided to wait till the morning. In the morning at 7am, there was no improvement....still ice cold water in the bathroom. I walked up to the breakfast area in my pyjamas, and the hostess Andi looked at me and said : "I know, there is no hot water...the water heater in your bathroom has blown up ! These things happen !" She added that the problem was only in our bathroom, but since all other rooms were occupied, there was nothing she could do ! I could not believe what I was hearing - how could anyone expect us to shower in ice cold Alaskan water ?
I must have expressed my disbelief quite strongly, and returned to my cramped room. Then Andi appeared, suggested that we wait for awhile as the neighboring room guests were about to leave for the day, and she would tidy up the bathroom and we could shower there. There was no other alternative, so we had to consent. She even added that she would not be charging us for the stay - this was a nice gesture, but not what we had wanted on a vacation ! Anyway, she returned a short while later and refunded me the 50% advance deposit that I had paid, and reported that we could now shower in the neighboring room, which we did.
When we went up for breakfast, both Andi and her husband were profusely apologetic. They were nice people after all....we had just been very unlucky. After breakfast, when we were leaving, it did not feel proper to have stayed for free. So we insisted that she take back the 50% deposit which she had refunded, as a 50% discount was more than adequate for the problems faced. She accepted it with hesitation, which made us feel less guilty.
I guess the property is good and well decorated...we were plain unlucky, so I cannot help giving this bad review. Also, I strongly feel that the Northwoods room is way too small to be offered to a couple (and hence overpriced); perhaps OK for a single traveler. But the hosts are wonderful people, and somewhat made up for the bad experience that we had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and enjoy luxury...Alaskan Style, in your own private cabin. Nestled in a beautiful Boreal forest, our luxurious cabins will provide you with the peace and quiet you long for after a day of Alaska fun and Adventure! Cabins are beautifully decorated and have either a full kitchen or a kitchenette, full bathroom with shower, luxurious linens, satellite TV, private porch and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Talkeetna Chalet reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Talkeetna Chalet Bed And Breakfast
- Talkeetna Chalet Hotel Talkeetna
- Talkeetna Chalet Alaska