“The best ”

and 1 more site!
Sunset Hill Lodge
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and I have nothing but good things to say. As with all the other reviewers, Gerard is a great host. He really takes care of the property and is always making improvements to make the property better. When I left, he was working on a BBQ area for guests to use and socialize. There's free wifi, laundry and pick up/drop off. Anything you need, he will help you with. Free use of the pool at Mai Kai, free use of bikes, kayaks, and a lift to and from the beach if needed. I stayed in the small bungalow which was enough for me. The bed is up some stairs and there's a private outdoor shower, plus equipped kitchenette. The super market is very close with fresh baked baguettes daily. If you are not staying in an over the water bungalow, than stay here. You can't find a better deal on bora bora.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Island_Paradis
There are newer reviews for Sunset Hill Lodge

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms here are completely self-sufficient so you can easily live out of them. Bikes are free. And the owner is very friendly and helpful about anything you need to know about the island.

Only downside is distance from a good beech. But the ease of coming and going, combined with the price and service, more than make up for it.

Quite a few insects though, so if you're squirmy keep everything shut down at night and you'll be mostly ok.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Hill Lodge in the bungalow on stilts for our honeymoon. Gerald was an amazing host. He let us use his bikes (for free) and kayaks (for a minimal fee) with directions on the best places to visit on the island. He has connections with many of the locals and was able to “hook us up” with incredibly inexpensive and amazing tours as well as a free trip to his friend’s private island! The Bungalow on stilts was clean, comfortable and affordable. In addition, there was a great central barbeque and outdoor meeting space at the lodge. The outdoor area was extremely comfortable with beautiful views. My husband and I really enjoyed hanging out in this area reading our books and meeting the other guest of Sunset Hill Lodge. The lodge is also in a great central location on the island. It is within walking distance to the downtown area, including many shops, grocery stores and restaurants! I would recommend these accommodations to any travel that is looking to do Bora Bora on a budget. One piece of advice, you may want to bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper – there are a lot of roosters in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: I recommend the bungalow on stilts.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JenErin1206
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here for one night before we went to 5 star honeymoon experience to fit our trip into budget. I was happy with the place. We reached here Midday and thought of saving some $$ by staying here for 1 night! Its definitely Value for money. Happy about my decision!! Theres a nice place in walking distance from here where we enjoyed cocktails and dinner. It was much better than other famous restaurants. Gerard was very helpful. He picked up up from the port, helped us with breakfast and dropped us to IC Le Moana. This place is an amazing value for money in middle of expensive Bora Bora

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shayanti M
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I had read a lot of reviews about Sunset Hill Lodge when researching about Bora Bora and decided to book a room at the pension. When I arrived at Gerard's apartments (which is in the heart of Vaitape) they were simply amazing! I stayed in the bungalow on stilts (which has great views of the lagoon) and the views I had of Mt Otemanu every morning were simply breathtaking! The room was very cozy, had a super comfortable bed and A/C! It was almost a 5 min walk to the biggest supermarket on the island.. Super U (which has everything you can think of) and his apartments is also near St James Restaurant (fish dishes is amazing here!)

I'd say the only downside to Sunset Hill Lodge is that its not near Matira Beach (its about a 40 min bike ride and well don't even think about walking.....). Gerard's hospitality was second to none, he'd always tell me places to visit, tours to go on and also drive and pick me up from Matira Beach and meeting Rapunzel (his dog) was a pleasure too.... I wanted to take her back to London! I will definitely come back here when I go back to Bora Bora! Thank you for everything Gerard!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sohail_Khan_UK
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I loved our room at Sunset Hill Lodge, it was cozy and big, came with nice clean kitchen and bathroom, and what's best, a/c, as well as good wifi. The owner is a friendly host and recommended us a lagoon tour, which turned out fantastic. Overall this place was great value for money in otherwise expensive Bora Bora, fully recommend :)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Johanna176
Reviewed 3 January 2014

One of the best hidden gems on the main island of Bora Bora! We spent two weeks in Studio 2, and as many have said before, Gerard is a great host! He picked us up from the ferry and told us all about the island and gave lots of suggestions of things to do, see and eat. He showed us the bikes and kayaks that were free for us to use and important details like everything is closed on Sunday, except some food trucks, so get some food from the Super U. After we got our spacious room situated, we headed to the store to stock up on some food, which was about a 10 minute walk. Besides scheduling dives, we rode our bikes to the beach, laid out by the Mai Kai pool or chilled on our patio. By the end of the two weeks, I really felt like I was living in Bora Bora because we could do so much in our space: I made French pressed coffee and fresh fruit every morning, cheese plates and cocktails in the afternoon, lounged on the patio after a day of diving or before heading into town for dinner. We even shared some coffee with the Tahitian Military that were staying in Studio 1! I am not sure how much fresh French bread that we ate, but since we were always out walking, riding, snorkeling, or diving it didn’t make a difference.
If you are looking for a laid back experience where you can really get to know Bora Bora, stay with Gerard; you won’t regret it. I would highly recommend staying at least one night in an over-water bungalow if you get the chance. We stayed at the Sofitel Private Island, per Gerard, on our last night/day of the trip. It was luxurious and wonderful, but I would not trade our experience that we got from staying at the Sunset Hill Lodge for the majority of our trip!

Favorite Things: The Chinese food restaurant, with the window in the back to order - the food was fresh, tasty, and one order was plenty for two; ridng Gerard’s bikes around the entire island; the Mai Kai Bora Bora –you can use the pool, just bring towels and get some drinks from the bar; fruit on side of the road; diving with Bora Diving Center; the Aloe’ Café, Mount Otemanu…and the list goes on!!!

The only drawback about the island when we went in June, was the locals burned leaves and other items, so there was sometimes a smoky smell. I am not sure if it is a seasonal thing or year-round.

Room Tip: Room Tips: I was going to pick the private tree bungalow, but from the pics online, it seemed small...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple