“Just as promised”
other travellers have booked this property
The Black Pearl! Our 5 Star Over Water Bungalow in Bora Bora!
Maeva! Welcome to The Black Pearl! Our brand new living room. A craftsman's dream.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The Black Pearl! Our 5 Star Over Water Bungalow in Bora Bora!
Maeva! Welcome to The Black Pearl!
Our brand new living room. A craftsman's dream.
A craftsman's dream!
Enjoy the view of the lagoon from the living room.
Every detail is inspiring.
Our brand new state of the art kitchen!
The perfect place to cook a meal!
All appliances are state of the art!
A beautiful CA-King sized bed, facing the lagoon!
Reading lights, art, views of the lagoon. A place to read or to dream!
The bedroom has a beautiful sitting area too.
Granite and marble accent our beautiful bathroom. A walk in shower, bathtub and washing machine!
Bubble bath, anyone?
Our huge lanai has a dining area, new gas barbecue and comfy lounge chairs!
Time for breakfast.
The view from our steps that lead to our private dock and sunning area.
The perfect place to read, take a nap or jump in the lagoon!
After your dip, an outdoor shower, surrounded by Bora Bora's heavenly lagoon.
The sun sets right in front of the bungalow.
The view from The Black Pearl living room!
Rush Hour at our bungalow!
Don't forget to see the traditional Tahitian Dances!
Sunset at The Black Pearl!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Beaufort, South Carolina
“Just as promised”
Reviewed 22 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

We just returned from a glorious trip to Bora Bora. Over the past year, I have been dealing with both Richard (owner) and Nir (manager). Initially, I was dubious about some of their advice...... We must rent a car, don't try to ride a bike, the bungalow is a deal. Do take their advice! It is entirely true and sincere. The bungalow is large, comfortable and in a perfect setting to enjoy the water or just hanging out. (the bathroom is fantastic!) Nir picks you up at the pier and gives you a cell phone in order to contact him during your stay. He is readily available and helpful about all things Bora Bora.
As for "the deal", just check prices of an equivalent bungalow at one of the resorts. Sky high!
Thanks to Nir and Richard.
Martha T.

Holland, Michigan
“Two weeks in Paradise”
Reviewed 15 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

Thanks to Richard and Nir for an awesome stay at the Black Pearl. I am not gone yet, but I just want to say thanks to both of you in advance. What a gorgeous place you shared, trusting me to take care of it and enjoy it as much as you do. I was met by Nir, who just gave me the keys to his car and said have fun. "Call me if you need anything", and off I went to claim any and all of Bora Bora that I could. What wonderful people I met, so pleasant and friendly. I loved driving around the island, grocery shopping and sight-seeing. I had a wonderful lagoon boat tour with Ed, from Maohi Nui, around the lagoon snorkeling and swimming with stingrays and sharks. I bought some beautiful black pearl jewelry from Wendy, at Arc En Ciel. And, just before I leave I will get a tattoo at Marama Tattoo. All of these experiences were on your recommendation, and I so appreciate it. Sometimes I am asked where I am staying, and I get a special nod in response whenever I answer The Black Pearl. I feel less of a tourist and more a tiny bit like a local. Thanks again to both of you!

Travelling group: Solo
Jay D
Boston, Massachusetts
“4 out of 5 - Incredibly thorough review”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

I think I paid 2450 USD for 5 nights during our stay from August 4th to August 9th. We are from the U.S (you know how we can be picky and snobby), so this will be a thorough review. BOTTOM LINE: Don’t have hotel standards. It’s a Bed and Breakfast not the Four Seasons. If you are looking for constant service for things you want and how you want it, then pay for the Four Seasons. If you are looking for a well-maintained place for a great value and okay with being independent, then you may want to check this place out. Please check my pics. We arrived from a free water taxi shuttle and via email were told by Nir (Richard’s manager) to meet him at the dock. Nir gave us a phone to call him and ONLY him. You can’t use the phone to make any other calls (only to call Nir). We talked a few times. He also gave us the car and apartment key and Wifi code. Richard is the owner of the bungalow and we could email him if we wanted to, but all we needed was to make sure to pay him in advance. I had to put down one thousand bucks to reserve it. I paid the rest a couple months later. Nir had our car ready to go (50,000 francs which dropped to 45,000 francs in total for 5 nights). He said he only takes cash for the car. We dropped him off at his spot and then hunted for our bungalow. Nir told us to look for 5 identical bungalows after Faanui. We eventually saw the bungalows and ours had a private sign on the bridge to the bungalow. Actually you can see the bungalow from the airport. My wife liked to call the houses on the mountain: stilts. This was her landmark. We were able to park in front. Inside the bungalow is a microwave, toaster, convection oven, stove, silverware, some food might be there (pancake mix, oatmeal), refrigerator, TV (minimal stations – 40 or so - and most in French language), umbrellas, DVD player, free wifi (weak connection for streaming movies, but doable), grill, fan, AC , bed with mosquito net, two sunbathing chairs, inflatable floatees (I left one behind for others to use), kayaks (we didn’t use, but they are on the side of the bungalow), washing machine (dry your clothes outside on the clothespins), handy tools, detergent, maps, books, lots of extra towels, spacious shower, and sliding doors with wooden handles that act as security so no one can enter from outside and slide the doors open. The bed was comfy. My wife believes there was a stain on the bed sheets (I’m not so sure). At any rate, she changed the sheets. The king-size bed is like a futon. My wife likes to feel like she is falling into a cloud, but I like beds kind of hard. We swam outside of the bungalow, but beware of coral! Bring your swimming shoes and I had my wife float in the inflatable floatee. Towards the back of the bungalow it’s about 10 feet deep. We entered from shore. There are no sharks in water, just a few colorful fish and we saw a stingray. I wouldn’t go too far out since boats pass by including police that do circles around the island. You will see them from the living room as there are no curtains (just shades on the windows). I felt this place was well worth the money. The only thing that may be tricky is the laundry directions. A manual would’ve been nice, albeit there are directions taped on it. You will see quite a few directions and signs posted in the bungalow. The screen door located in the living room fell out 3 - 4 times as I moved it to the left (missing a handle) and it just fell completely out. I placed it back in, but since it’s missing a handle and falls out easily, it needs to be replaced. No smoking inside. You’ll see geckos running around every now and then. Mosquitoes weren’t too bad, but we got bitten a few times on the porch. There was a pretty big bug found near our bed that I killed. A few bugs in the bathroom that fly around. What do you expect? You are in a tropical area, not a triple decker in the Northeast region of the U.S. Make sure to use flip flops in bathroom as I slipped without them on. We just made sure to have the fan on to minimize the amount of bugs. In order to turn on the AC you need to go into your bedroom with the remote and point to the sensor in the bottom right corner of the room. Wifey says the couch and pillows are bit stinky and could use shampoo. Within the living room there are 3 remotes for the TV, DVD and Satellite and directions that are confusing. The wife says she was annoyed by it all and said “take way 20 points on the review”. Haha! I won’t do that. I’m pretty tech-savvy and I spend a good 25 minutes trying to get the DVD to work. There are about 25 DVDs (not all in English because you are in FRENCH Polynesia) and I’ll let you know how to get the DVD to work. The volume to the DVD is difficult to figure out. You must use the Samsung power button for the DVD. You must get close - few inches away from the DVD and use the Samsung volume. The DVD slot is in the big machine (top right-hand and difficult to see). Then, we used the Toshiba remote and had to find a circle symbol next to the zero button. It is to the right of it and it’s a circle with an arrow symbol. Press that and go down to number 4 (not number 3 like the directions say). This will get you to the DVD screen. The remotes all work you just have to really aim at the sensors and maybe get close up. I hit the middle button that read “OK” for the Satellite remote and used up and down buttons to change the channels. The electricity also went out on the street for half an hour. Not sure if that’s just a coincidence or more frequent than we think. I think this location is great because you are right there on the main road and can easily get around with the car. No need to get a hotel and take a water taxi (you’ll have to pay) to get to the main island. It’s much cheaper here, I’m sure of it! You will have to pay 1,000 a night at a hotel. Plus, where you really save is with the grocery shopping. There are two supermarkets (and two gas stations) not too far from the main dock. We gave this place 4 stars out of 5 as there are some items that could be attended to a bit better, but we’d come back again. Thank you Richard and Nir because you were both great during this process.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and value
Liked least: The DVD/ DVDs, sliding door near living room space
People with disabilities Older travelers
Edwardsat...
“A nice place”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

This OWB is definitely not a 5 star rating. First of all you are met by a gentleman that is strictly there to get you to your rental car and hand over a key and a cell phone. He is extremely pleasant . Then your on your own. Kinda like being on " survivor man". The OWB is 20 mins from town. Not convenient and NOT in a vacation atmosphere. If you are looking for "that feeling" strict to the hotels. There is NO SERVICE nor AMENITIES. The Bungalow is dated and us in need of new blinds that work and nicer newer kitchen appliances and cutlery that can cut! The deck is kept dark by the WIND SCREEN.Yes, wind screen, it's a very windy point of the island(no matter what direction it's blowing) and blocks the beautiful sunrise! Is this place worth it? Yes, if your not expecting too much. But who goes to Bora Bora and dosent expect the best! All in all it could be a really nice place, needs to be polished before it's classified as a 5 STAR RATING.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Management Response
10 Jul 2014
I am very disappointed in this client's review. We have over 30 5-star reviews and I think that speaks for itself. As they say "You can't please everyone". The Black Pearl is my home when I am there and we take great pride in it. Our manager Nir, is a great asset and goes out of his way to help our clients. We are not a resort or a hotel and having Nir is an added perk to a vacation rental home. Of course, our home does occasionally need repairs and we do our very best to take care of them as soon as we become aware. We are at most, ten minutes from town and 7 minutes to two of the nicest restaurants on the island. We are on the quiet side of the island and not near the noise of town, hotels and cruise ships. I think this client would have been much happier in a hotel. But, then again. that is not the point of renting our homes.
Staci H
Houston, Texas
“Paradise”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

My husband and I spent a week at The Black Pearl, and just loved it. We like privacy and space which we feared we wouldn't be able to get at one of the nearby resorts. From the booking, throughout the trip, everything went seamlessly. They provided a rental car for us which was very much used and needed. We drove to the lovely public beach nearly every day, and although many restaurants will provide shuttle service, it is much better to be on your own time line. Nir is fantastic!! He picked us up, provided the keys, much charm and expertise, and was quick to respond whenever we had a question. The residence itself is spacious and well appointed. We grilled on the waterfront patio several times and snorkels and rafted right from the home. We are avid runners and enjoyed running there. The people are friendly, and you can make your trip as low key or upscale as you want. We really relaxed and enjoyed simple things like the breathtaking views and a few cocktails. On our last day we got tattoos by a local artist named Marama, who did beautiful work, and happens to be a good friend of Richard, the man who owns the lovely rental. Small world huh? We plan on returning to Bora Bora as it really was a sort of life changing trip for us both, and gave us pause to re-examine some of our ways of doing things. It was the most romantic and relaxing vacation we have been on as a couple.

Lucy M
Lake Forest, California
“We picked the right place!!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

We just kept saying this each time we drove up to our "home" in Bora Bora!
When we arrived at the airport and got on the ferry, we saw 4 bungalows across the bay heading to Vaitape port...could that be our place? It was!
If you want privacy, a breeze, your own dock, cook your own meals (if you feel like it) and independence, rent this bungalow! It is fully furnished with the "local" flare. We had wifi to play our own tunes and stay in touch with home (not work) if we felt like it!
Loved the outside shower and dock...I floated in our own little lagoon. My love enjoyed the kayak for a bit of sporting action. Watched the sunset nightly, with the path of the setting sun on the water, B lining for our porch, amazing! We ate fresh bread, from town, daily (sometimes it was still warm) and witnessed water color changes off our own porch!
Richard was a great help, very responsive and calmed my nerves dealing with a private residence over the internet.....he is an honorable man and has a good reputation in Bora Bora.
We absolutely enjoyed our stay, our house and this beautiful island!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, over the water was perfect and we still had privacy, always a great breeze
Liked least: Must have a car, no walking to anywhere from this location, roads are narrow
Friends getaway
robin a
Nashville, Tennessee
“Forget the Dinky Resort Bungalows”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

For the same price (if not less) we rented The Black Pearl and also were provided a car (for an additional cost) for this house with full amenities. It's set over the water and has beautiful views, and large airy rooms. The bathroom is to die for and and the house also has a full kitchen and washing machine (so keep this mind when packing---you don't need to bring a lot).

We enjoyed being on the main island during "off season" when we could kibitz with the locals and learn about local culture at our leisure. All of the island recreational activities were available to us and THEY were happy to come to the house to pick us up when we went out on road or water tours. The house shares a dock with the next bungalow down where the Reef Discovery agency came to pick us up one morning. That being said, the house also sits on a small, but well colonized coral reef, so be prepared to snorkel around the house as well. We were aware of this and both where prescription glasses so I ordered prescription snorkel masks from Snorkel-Mart.com which only cost us 49.00 a pair to take with us. The house had a box of flippers and snorkel tubes, so were happily snorkeling on our off off the back dock of the house every morning!

Additionally, the fellow who I presume is the local manager of this rental property (Nir-who also provided us with the car) made himself readily available if we needed anything (we did not, but it was nice that he gave us his cell phone --not just his number--an actual phone) to call if we had any questions about planning anything or had any medical needs).

The only thing in the house we could not figure out how to work (and it was very like user error) was the DVD player. They had a limited number of movies we'd seen but were excited about revisiting, and there was some weird error message that popped up on the player..but no worries! That's not what we're in Bora Bora for, is it!?

We were very happy with our choice of The Black Pearl. Everything worked flawlessly in making the arrangements and having everything ready. Nir was at the boat dock in Vaitape
when we arrived to direct to where banks were and the house was etc. It could not have been more seamless. I actually felt bad for the poor folks who fell victim to the water taxi schedules of the resorts, most of which are out on motus and not on the main island. I'd hate to have my dinner ruined having to watch my schedule to catch the next boat taxi back!

If you don't want to be thrown in with a group of tourists all residing in closely situated water bungalows, please consider The Black Pearl. We certainly recommend it and will go back the next time out travels bring us down to the South Pacific.

Liked best: The Privacy
Liked least: No dislikes
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing