“Amazing honeymoon, exactly like Couples Retreat!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort

Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Juneau, Alaska
“Amazing honeymoon, exactly like Couples Retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

Amazing from beginning to end! We booked through Costco which was handy my only qualms were we didn't realize we had free breakfast was never mentioned to us we just decided to go have breakfast and realized we were charged. Also weren't informed we received a free massage we only booked 30 min each and weren't charged but probably could have had a full hour for free! Otherwise everything was great! Room was amazing an the cleaning staff always did a great job. We had a beach bungalow which was amazing! I would advise to not stay on the private island for this resort it costs to get to and from and the restaurant over there is small and not as nice. I'm very glad we were on the main island side we were able to go to other restaurants see other beaches go to the store etc. Entertainment with dinner is costly and we only went to two shows, if if sounds like a similar show I would pass because it will be almost the same, we went to two because the dinners were different. Also I highly recommend Bloody Mary's Restaurant! They will pick you up and drop you off for free and amazing food!

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Chelsy31588
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
When you stay at Sofitel you always have great surprise from our magnifique ambassador who like to deliver a "cousu main" service. Maururu for sharing this !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I couldn't possibly say enough WONDERFUL things about this place!!! My husband and I were a little nervous about staying here due to the simple fact that this hotel was more reasonably priced than others in Bora Bora. (Naturally you assume if you pay less, then you will receive less - not true with this place) We planned this trip for our honeymoon and wanted THE BEST EXPERIENCE possible. Our travel agent (who we trust and adore) assured us that we would love Sofitel, and he was so right! We were looking for a honeymoon that was romantic, private, beautiful, relaxing, but also social so that we could have fun! Don't get me wrong I love my husband and could spend forever only seeing him....if I had to. This was the perfect mix of a romantic, private setting and a fun, social interaction with other guest. Let me take you through our stay at the perfect Sofitel....

We arrived in Tahiti late and checked into the Sofitel Tahiti (just to spend one night). We were greeted with a warm welcome and drinks. It was late so we went to bed, woke up and headed to Bora Bora early the next morning! We were greeted with flowers, drinks and a friendly face by our water taxi service which took us to the hotel. At the dock of the hotel we were greeted with traditional music, another drink and super service! We were showed around the hotel and told about the activities available, etc. When we got to our room, our luggage was waiting on us and we had been upgraded to a better overwater suite. The room simple but was perfect for what we were looking for. A bed (which was cozy), a small fridge, a little desk and the bathroom. We loved our little deck and the fact that we could watch all the beautiful fish! The only "complaint" I have about the room is that the water never really got hot in the shower. We did travel to Le Taha'a also and experienced the same issue. I figure its pretty hard to get hot water out to the overwater huts. I love my hot water, but honestly it wasn't a big deal at all. It was warm enough that you could shower and not freeze.

Now onto our stay at Sofitel. We did A LOT of activities. We took the Eco tour where we swam with sharks, sting rays and fish at the beautiful coral gardens. They offer a full and half day in this. We did a half and loved the experience. They record the whole thing and offer the DVD to you (at a price of course) at the end. The boat staff that the hotel works with were great. They make you feel comfortable, safe and teach you a lot. They speak English, French, and Japanese (maybe more but these were the passengers we had on the boat). We rented jet skis, which was also a lot of fun! They take you all the way around the island and make stops at different places so you can see other beaches and take pictures. They provide snacks at one of the stops. We did the land 4x4 tour which was my husbands favorite. We learned so much about the island, the culture and their way of life. I HIGHLY recommend this one. We stopped at a pearl farm where we learned all about the Black Pearl. We did the luau that the hotel offers 2 times a week, which was fun. There were tons of food options with the luau and the music was fun. They made baskets, hats, etc. from palm leaves and gave them to the girls. We also did the private romantic dinner on the beach. This was around $300 total. Honestly it was my least favorite of all of our activities. Our food was good and they gave you different options and worked around what you like, but it was LONG! We started at 5 to get there and watch the sunset where they gave you champagne. We then went down for dinner. They had multiple courses and it was good but we didn't get back to our room until 9:30. We were exhausted at that point lol. They did take our picture though and give us a little gift at the end. It was a nice surprise to have an email waiting for me when I got home with the picture from the dinner (we didn't know they were doing that). We ate breakfast at the hotel each morning which was delicious. By the end of our stay we had made great friends (who we still talk to) with two couples and we all had breakfast together which was so much fun. We also all went to Bloody Mary's together (which you have to do & the hotel can set up your reservation) and had a few lunches together. The bar had delicious drinks, happy hour, and great food. We honestly loved every moment of our stay here and were dreading leaving to go to Taha'a.

(Side note - we stayed at Le Taha'a in Taha'a later in our trip which is sooooooooo much more expensive then Sofitel and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as. Of course Taha'a was BEAUTIFUL but the other couples were stuck up and it was so much more uptight. The staff wasn't as friendly either)

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Danielle D
We are in love with both of you too!
Thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara beach Resort with all activities that you enjoyed from our resort.
There is place you leave and place who never leave you, we hope to be one of those!
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Like other reviews I had some confusion about the private island v the mainland properties but was far happier at the mainland. I arrived very early and was given a transit room to sleep in until my bungalow - half overwater - was ready. The history of the resort is ever present with pictures of Mia Farrow and co stars near the check in desk. Yes the property is showing its age, slowly the bungalows are being renovated. Jean Claude the director of entertainment was a pure professional, making me laugh and reminding me of the 70s tv show the love boat. I didn't find the staff pushed you into tours, once I explained I was travelling solo on a dive trip through FP they understood I was not there for romantic dinners even though I did opt to enjoy the Polynesian dancing show...hey, it's a holiday, enjoy it. I did find the lunch at the private island at $70AUD a little over rated but the climb to the top of the island is easy and affords you some spectacular photo opportunities. The road is very close to the rear of the property which is Both a good thing and a bad thing..traffic noise in the morning will wake you up, but that gives you some amazing sunrise photo opportunities while the road being so close will allow you to take a walk to the marche and stock up on Brie and juice. I loved my morning walks and one day walked all the way to Bloody Mary's for lunch after stopping for a lovely chat at Bens place. If you want nightclubs and shopping malls..go to Hawaii. If you want awesome scenery, go to Bora Bora. You never know, a mango might just fall into your hand as you walk along if you slow down and live on island time. a very special,mention to Taaroa the pool guy who went out of his way to get to know me as travelling solo in a couples destination can be a little lonely if you choose to not open up your heart and smile and get to know people. Eagle rays visited three nights which was lovely my only gripe was coming back to my room to find a rat snacking on my complimentary cakes who then scurried up into the roof over my bed. I called the front desk who can't out a maintenance man who could do nothing at that time of the night without a very high ladder and a lot of repairs where the rat was hiding in the roof. Rats are part of life in FP, but I'd rather not share my cakes with them. I'd have appreciated a free breakfast at the very least because of the rat but that was not offered. Don't write off this Bora Bora icon just yet, improvements are being made.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank GypsyGal_11
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and for your objective review regarding the Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort. I will be more than happy to adress your great comment to our beach boy Taaroa. I'm not sureif we are talking about Palm trees'rat or lezard as they leave behind the same "sign" of their passage and they both have a taste for pastries... We secure all bungalow and we operate our pest control regulary to ovoid this inconvenient but we cannot erradicate them, and they may appear when it is raining as they look for a shelter.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed there for our honeymoon in April 2012. We were really tired from our extremely long journey as we had to wait an entire night at Papeete airport to wait for our connecting flight to Bora Bora and when we arrived, we had to listen to a long hard sell presentation by Anita.
The room was really disappointing and we had to endure our entire stay there with cold showers.
We had the local show with dinner one night and the food was terrible. i noticed that lots of table did not even bother with eating their main courses. The manager was busy entertaining himself and his staff and were having meals just beside our tables. This is the first first class hotel that I have been to that the manager and staff is eating and drinking wine just beside the guest tables. I asked for my bill bout 7 times (I counted) and after several promises, I just walked over to the counter and paid my bill.
The reception was even worse as they seem annoyed when we try to ask them any questions. The french lady working there was nice and very helpful but the local receptionists need to look at their attitude and realise that they are in the guest related industry and not the other way around. Other staff were very nice like the lady who greeted us at the airport, the guy who carried our bags, etc. I called reception a few times enquiring on how to connect my internet and the voice tone was not "nice" as I got the feeling that I was intruding on her other jobs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank George L
Thank you for coming last April 2012 to Sofitel at Bora Bora for such a great event.
Anita is willing to give as much information upon arrival toomake sure you will not loose a opportunity to do all the activities you may want to experience. Before we had guests who suggeted us to do so as the average lenght of stay is around 3 days and they could not enjoy all xcursions or activities because thet got or they found the information too late.
The local show is done either by our mama of Bora Bora or with a all the familly from the same village, as we want to be authentic and to provide a very traditional entertainment.
This is the time we choose to invite our guests or tour operator and sometime the management to enjoy or to promote our shows and traditional cuisine coming from the traditional tahitian oven. Thank you for your comments regarding one of our receptionist.
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

- The beach: dirty water (no snorkeling, we didn't even dare to swim); ants on the beach.
- Personnel: false, rude and "give-me-the-money" type.
- Rooms: very old. There was a lizard inside. We called reception and they sent a maid one hour later!! The maid wasn't even helpful because she only had a broom and was scared of the lizard.

Conclusion: this is not Bora-Bora, this is hell! Do yourself a favor and go to the Hilton. If you can't afford it don't go, visit another island. I'm serious.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank ablues
Just to remind the origin of the Sofitel Bora Bora Marara beach, this hotel has been bilt by Dino de Laurentsis late senvetees at this location because, from his prospective this is the best spot at Bora Bora for the quality of the lagoon and for the vew, that is why he did his movie "Hurricane" where we are located. When it is raining for days.... this is a rare situation but it can happen, it is true that the color of the lagoon is not so clear because of all the water coming down from the hill into the lagoon. Our beach is classified "Pavillon Bleu" which is the highest qualification wordwide for the purity and the qualitry of the water.
The Polynesian culture is one of the rare one over the world to not accept tips easily but they will try to convince all to do activities because they are so proud to share their country with all travellers. Sorry if this was misunderstood and finally they are not scared about lezards, but they are so use of them that they cannot understand sometime why people is scared with it and i think that was what happen, i will make sure this will not happen in the future if it was the case.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I had such high expectations and I was nothing but disappointed. To begin with, the bugs. I understand there are insects in French Polynesia but I would have hoped to have had more protection in my room. The lack of protection caused me to sleep horribly.
The service at this property was extraordinarily lacking. The employees were not attentive and when we were given the incorrect room, their answer was " too bad this is what you are going to get". The lack of English speaking employees was very inconvenient.
The room we did get was dirty. Everything from the floors to the bathroom.
The food was very overpriced and old.
Yes. I will be returning to Bora Bora but I will definitely not be staying here again and I would not recommend this to anyone. I hope management takes a serious look at these issues.

• Stayed December 2012
13 Thank Bitamarcus
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
I thank you for sharing your experience with us and i am sad when i cannot reach the level of expectation of any of my guest. You are one of them, and i really apologize. i just want you to know that all what can be done is in process to be at 100% at all time, some topics can be resolved immediatly some others will take a little bit more time but everything will be done not to achieve but to exceed all guest expectations at Sofitel.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

According to the French language website for the hotel, which we were only able to access on arrival, in September of 2012, the Sofitel in Bora Bora and the Private Island merged their reservations systems. This may explain why we thought we had reserved for the Private Island and instead were booked in the older facility on the mainland. The same thing happened to two other couples checking in at the same time, so it couldn't have been our one-off oversight. Given that it was New Year's, the Private Island was fully booked, with what appeared to be friends of the manager who, rather than looking after his establishment, was entertaining hIs friends and acting like a frustrated charicature of a Maurice Chevalier character from the '50s, sexual innuendos and all. Our disappointment continued when we saw the bungalow which was cramped, dark, and worn out. The concierge was one of the worst I've ever seen, pushing overpriced "excursions" which one could easily do alone for very little money, confusing dates and pick-up times, and making a big deal of the in-room coffee maker being complimentary. The maid took 4 days to clean up and restock our one use of that free service, proving that you get what you pay for. The activities desk ran out of towels and snorkel gear and the WiFi was $6 an hour. We thought we were booking a luxury accommodation, as advertised. We thought it would be as nice and as professionally run as the Sofitel on Moorea. We were wrong on both counts. The only kudo I have for the place is that it had one of the best New Year's Eve events I've ever been to, proving that this hotel manager missed his calling as a showman.

Room Tip: We took a day trip to the Private Island, which appeared to be very exotic, romantic and isolated...