“Paradise”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Maitland, Australia
“Paradise”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora for 4 glorious days in March 2012. It was so beautiful we could have spent a lifetime there - but it is pricey hence the short trip. We loved being there in March as it was really quiet (only about 1/3 full) but it is very hot (quite a long hot walk to breakfast). The staff were lovely, the food was great but it was the snorkelling in the lagoon and the overwater bungalow luxury that we loved the most. And the view of Mt Otemanu which was why I chose this particular accommodation - best view ever!
This place really is paradise and I cried a little to leave!
Make sure you do the lagoon tour if you want to swim with the turtles in the rehabilitation centre. I also loved the polynesian dance classes which help you to get more out of the fantastic polynesian dance shows (Fridays).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K_islandlover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at Le Meridien as our second hotel during our honeymoon (Hilton beforehand and Four Seasons afterwards) and the view here was probably the most spectacular of the three.

What I loved the most, apart from the view, was how friendly and relaxed all the staff members were. Adding to this, they were the only hotel to provide live music entertainment every night for dinner (with the exception of the Polynesian night which is offered at other hotels). Furthermore, they are the only hotel to have the only turtle sanctuary in Bora Bora which lets you get up close and personal with these amazing creatures. Unfortunately, they no longer offer hotel guest complimentary "swim with the turtles" but now charge a fee.

Our room was breathtaking with unobstructed views of the main island and Mount Otemanu. They are much smaller compared to Hilton's and Four Season's but it does not lack any of the amenities and luxuries you'd expect from any 5 star hotels. I think they are recently renovated so it was quite a nice stay. The floor has a big glass floor which was huge in comparison to Four Seasons'. A nice little touch to the overwater bungalow! The water off the deck is crystal clear with plenty of marine life around.

The beach, I felt, lacked a lot of sun beds however this may be a harsh criticism as we only went there once during our 4 night stay as our room had good sun exposure and views so we didn't venture out there much. I only say this as when we went out for breakfast it appeared people were walking in circles trying to find somewhere to park themselves. The interior lagoon was a bit of a disappointment as it was very sandy and cloudy and we couldn't find any of the fishes they had placed there! And the pool is certainly nothing to rave on about, it was very small but this is in comparison to the other hotels we had stayed at.

Food was delicious! I would personally suggest ignoring the À la carte restaurant as I found their food way too limited and wasn't very nice tasting for what is considered a fine dining experience. However the buffet was amazing with each night catering to a different theme, so one night would be Polynesian, another French, Tropical and so forth so you won't feel as though you were eating the same food each night and were restricted of choice. Desserts here are out of this world!

If you want to go to the main island, this can be easily arranged through the hotel's free shuttle boat. Problem is, once you get there, you need to take a taxi to go to anywhere worthwhile. I think a round trip to Vaitape (the main town) was 7,000 XPF (when Hilton's shuttle boat to Vaitape was about 700 XPF per person). Good thing about being free is that if you have any tours on the main island then they will generally pick you up from the hotel's port there.

Internet here is not fantastic and I would suggest you not purchase any internet here. Even by the staff's admission, they told us not to buy any as their system was outdated and slow. The complimentary internet they provided proved this point.

We never used the spa or fitness centre but we saw the fitness centre which was next to the turtle sanctuary and I've seen people's home gyms which look more impressive than what they had. The spa was a small bungalow next to the beach and looking on what they had to offer, it was a disappointment in comparison to what other hotels had.

In conclusion, probably the most value for money of all the hotels on this side of the island from my research but room are definitely smaller in comparison. Views from the room and beach are stunning. Still 5 star in my books as it ticked all the boxes during my stay!

Room Tip: Don't cheap out and get a premium overwater bungalow. It's a relatively cheap hotel in compa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Hung D
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Hi we stayed here through Sept/Oct last year. And it truly is amazing. The lagoon is beautiful; amazing. It does get chilly this time of year in the evening; so my cardigan did receive a good work out; I wish i had bought a few nice things to wear for dinner that were warmer. We had a room on the lagoon, actually the last bure on the lagoon, it was great, very private as the window over our bed did not look out into any other bure.. I am not sure whether i would want a bure that looked onto someone elses. The only downside at this hotel was the bed; I am not sure why? but the beds are so uncomfortable, they are not soft and springy. but just really heavy and stodgy. the room was spotless and well cleaned every day and evening!
The other thing that bugged me; were the kids; they didnt swim in the gorgeous lagoon, they were all running around the pools, so made enjoying a cocktail somewhat hard. Even though, realistically there weren't many, and they did disappear when it went dark, didn;t see any kids in the restaurants having dinner at the resort. Great that there is a ferry that takes you across to the mainland, where the restaurants pick you up, take you out to dinner; then drive you back to meet the ferry!! Great idea that the restaurants have transport for dinner guests. A beautiful place; Bora Bora is the only place in the world that my picky husband wants to go back too. We have been to many places but this had to be the best!! I can't wait to go back; but I will go more upmarket and maybe to a resort that has no kids.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindalou40
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed in Bora Bora for our honeymoon at "Le Meridien". From all the hotels I have seen there, this one was definitely the best. Despite some older reviews indicating that the premises were outdated, we went and were very happy with what we found. Everything is new, modern and high quality! The bungalows above the water are wonderful and very spacious. When you walk in, you have have an instant feeling of well being! It looks a bit like being in a luxurious spa. I love the colours of the water underneath the bungalow during the day. There is a balcony with long chairs with the view of the mountain (wonderful for sunsets). There is a spinning staircase leading to a small platform with a ladder going in the water. There is a shower outside to rinse off and inside the bungalow, also a bath and two sinks with mirrors.

My favourite thing was the small enclosed lagoon where you can freely swim with big turtles, all sorts of pretty fishes and colourful corals. Everything is provided, you can borrow for free: towels (and there are big ones! Very soft! Return them and get fresh ones whenever you want!), mask, snorkel and fines (you can keep those for as long as you stay!), canoe, windsurf, and all sorts of other things to play on the private beach of the hotel. There are some very pretty swimming pools lit with colourful spots inside the water at night.

When you arrive, you always get a necklace of flowers and you are served with a cocktail while you wait for your room. They get your luggage to your room then take you with mini golf cars around the island of the hotel and to your bungalow. When you leave, you leave your luggage in your bungalow and someone comes to pick them up to bring them to the boat for you. Also, you get a necklace of shells as a permanent gift to keep.

We had the chance to see the other hotels, I must admit that I preferred our by far! The bungalows never seemed to be all in the water, they would be half in the water, half on land. The people at our hotel were VERY nice, I liked them very much! There is a boat-like designed bar with the view on the mountains with very nicely decorated drinks!

I would recommend anyone to try this paradise hotel. You will have a list of activities to do on the island if you didn't plan anything with a list of prices. Best hotel in Bora Bora! Please Go!

Room Tip: Go on the bungalow at the end to have the best view of the mountain and of the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Angie D
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I will let the pictures speak for themselves regarding the beauty of the resort. The one thing I do want to mention is the service at the hotel. They could not have been nicer or more helpful. I'm sure honeymooning anywhere would have been great, but the hotel and staff at Le Meridien made it the best experience of my life. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend some time in Paradise!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Zachary L
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I will start by saying that Bora Bora is going to be beautiful no matter where you stay, so it is important to review the hotel instead of the actual island. This was the 3rd island we visited on our honeymoon and we much preferred our stays at Taha'a and Moorea. The stay started very well, as they met us at the airport and whisked us away to the hotel very soon. We had a great overwater bungalow 229, and we were impressed with our overwater suite. The decks on the rooms are very small and the water underneath is very deep. I would prefer to be closer to the shore so that we could have waded out rather than having to full on swim anytime we wanted to go in the water. While the hotel was nice, the grounds were nice and the rooms were nice - ths resort reminded me more of something you would call a very nice resort in Mexico or Dominican. The customer service was hit and miss, and we were very dissapointed with the service at the restaraunt. Two major complaints - first, the food at this resort is awful. We ordered from the menu three times and had breakfast buffet three times. Two of the menu meals were nearly inedible and the last one was burgers and fries (for $40 each). The breakfast buffets were also pretty nasty, there was alot of food but the quality was very low. The second major complaint is that $250 magically dissapeared from a wallet that we left out on the desk for 36 hours. We didn't realize that the money was gone until we were going to check out and didn't want to create a fuss as we wanted to go through our entire bags before we accused people of anything. Unfortunately, the money never turned up and the email I set to the resort was never returned. We shouldn't have left our wallet out but we never expected that money would be taken from it if we did. Obviously this left a bad taste in our mouth. Prior to that event happening I would have rated the hotel a 3, but because of that I had to reduce my rating. Bora Bora is a beautiful island but I am sure that there are much better resort to stay at then this on. The Turtle Sanctuary is kind of cool, but the lagoon you can swim in is a joke a there is about 10 fish in there. All in all, I much preferred our stays at our other hotels in Taha'a and Moorea and I wouldn't classify this place as anything better than a nice hotel in Mexico. I would suggest looking elsewhere if you are planning a stay in Bora Bora. There are alot of beautiful hotels and our experience made us wish that we had ended our honeymoon somewhere else

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cole K
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Wow! Wow! Wow!

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon to Bora Bora and we are so happy that we chose to stay at the Le Meridien.

Quick background on determining the right hotel choice for Bora Bora.

We went through Pacific For Less Travel Agency (http://www.pacific-for-less.com/) and they suggested staying at either the St Regis or Le Meridien. The St Regis is "The" hotel in Bora Bora so you'll be spending quite a bit to stay there. We were looking to stay on the island for a week and Pacific for Less was able to set us up with a phenomenal deal to stay 6 nights and pay for 4 in a Standard Overwater Bungalow. However, by using these guys they upgraded us to a Premium Overwater Bungalow for free!

The reason why these two hotels are the best is simply the scenery. You're flying to Bora Bora. You are going to be staying at a great hotel no matter where you stay. Every overwater bungalow is going to be an amazing experience. However, not all of them offer the views that the Le Meridien has. I was obsessed with Mount Otemanu and the best view of the mountain is from this hotel (or the St Regis). You can check out my pics below for proof!

Upon arrival at the airport we were greeted by the hotel who then took us on a boat to the Le Meridien. Friendly service the whole time. Our room was right on the edge of the huts, one of the very last rooms out on the deepest part of the lagoon. Amazing!

The rooms speak for themselves. Glass floor, King Size bed, Bathtub with window facing the mountain, Private deck with stair entrance to water. Just amazing.

Our first night we tried dinner at the restaurant. We were thinking about the buffet but the $100 per plate scarred us away. I mean, $200 each night for dinner? No thanks. The restaurant was fairly packed yet there didn't seem to be a lot of servers working. It took forever to get our order in and to be waited on. The meal was about $80-$100 and not worth it. There was a host who seemed to be seating all the tables and taking all the orders. We learned our lesson and ate at the bar every night from then on. Cheaper, better food (bar type food) and great views of the sunset over the mountain.

I would recommend ordering breakfast to your room every morning. We had free breakfast included (not sure if everyone does) and so we totally took advantage of it. The French Toast, Fried Bananas, Pancakes, Waffles, Croissants (all the good food that you think makes you fat during your stay). Eating out on the balcony in the cool morning sun was great.

We did a couple massage that was OK. It was in a room similar to what you stay in so it wasn't anything special in terms of a fancy "Spa".

The private lagoon is a great spot to snorkel where you feel safe as there is no access to the main island lagoon (not that it's not safe but swimming in water that is 20ft deep can be a little unnerving). There is also a Tortoise sanctuary at the hotel which is really cool. This is the only hotel on the island to have this I believe.

We basically did nothing on our stay but relax and read (which is all we really wanted to do). The hotel and views were the perfect place to do this.

Outside of the main restaurant, I had no complaints about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

Couple other pointers- Dinner at La Villa Mahana and Lunch at Bloody Mary's.

Room Tip: I suggest using Pacific For Less (http://www.pacific-for-less.com/) as they were able to get us a gr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple