“Honeymoon in Bora Bora!”

Le Meridien Bora Bora
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora for 6 nights and booked through our amazing travel agent, Claudia of Pacific For Less. Unfortunately due to a delayed flight, we missed our connection to Tahiti and got hold of Claudia immediately who rearranged our travel plans seamlessly. We missed a night in Moorea due to the change, but gained a night in Bora Bora that Claudia managed to get us at no additional cost. The hotel is on its own motu so you take a boat from the airport to the hotel. When we got off the boat, I was speechless. The hotel's location is amazing overlooking the beautiful mountain and the varying shades of blue water in the lagoon are breathtaking. It is by far the nicest place I have ever visited. Annie checked us in and she was our favorite employee taking us on a tour of the hotel and being so friendly and funny. She must be a comedian in her spare time and having her greet us was the perfect start to our stay. We stayed in premium overwater bungalow 338 which had a view of the mountain, but not directly facing the entire mountain. This was not an issue for us though as the room itself was gorgeous and very modern. There was small damage to the wall by the door and the inside of the bathroom wall which I saw was mentioned in an earlier review so clearly they have not taken the time to fix it yet, but it didn't necessarily bother us. The glass floor is awesome although we heard you can open it at other hotels and you cannot at this hotel - again not a big deal for us as you can still see clearly through to the bottom of the lagoon. For food, we had breakfast included which was a buffet. I am not a huge fan of buffets, but it is very helpful having this meal included as part of the stay given food prices are so high throughout the island and the quality is not always what you expect compared to the cost (this is a fact I've come to accept in the French Polynesia). The breakfast buffet had a lot of options and the hot food was actually hot which isn't always the case at a buffet. The staff always greeted you with a smile at breakfast especially Gaelle who is so sweet. She would always seat us at a table with a great view of the lagoon and put our towels on top of a wine holder instead of us putting them on the floor. It is small efforts like that which I very much appreciate and enhance my experience. My husband and I always split lunch as the portions are large and costly. The food at the pool bar is cheaper than the restaurant opened for lunch which we discovered on day 2 and from there ate at the pool bar. They have a few Panini options with fries which worked just fine for us. We ate at the hotel 4 times for dinner. Our package included a romantic dinner which had 3 courses and a bottle of wine. The food was tasty (not the best filet I've ever had, but again you are in the middle of the Pacific ocean and not a fine steakhouse in NYC). The menu was a set menu and the only choice you made was for an appetizer. My husband and I usually don't eat dessert when we go out to eat, but this included it and the chocolate lava cake was awesome! We also learned at check in that you can use starwood points for certain activities and used points to book another romantic dinner the last night of our trip. One night we ordered room service as we felt like being lazy and we were not impressed. The options were very limited and not that tasty considering the cost. The best part was the bread and butter. We had one dinner at the restaurant overlooking the pool and both ordered pasta dishes which were ok (my mother is Italian and cooks amazing pasta so this makes it tough for me to enjoy pasta anywhere else. There were no other options on the menu I found appealing). The nice part was that you can use starwood points for bottles of wine so we took advantage of that. It is costly to eat dinner offsite as you need to first pay for the roundtrip boat transfers to and from the main island which is approx. $60 for 2 people. Our travel agent booked us the VIP table at La Villa Mahana which we highly recommend and Bloody Mary's which we also enjoyed. The only issue we ran into was with the activity desk. We understood there was a free shuttle to St. Regis and you can eat dinner at that hotel as both hotels are Starwood properties. We really wanted to try the sushi place at St. Regis and I went to the activity desk daily for 3 days to make this reservation. I was told each time they were trying to get the reservation and awaiting feedback from St. Regis. Finally I decided to call my travel agent and she did everything possible to get us a reservation, but by the time I reached out to her, the only day we had left to eat offsite was on a Sunday and the sushi place is closed. I got the impression the hotel didn't want you to eat offsite and therefore didn't really try to get us the reservation. I recommend booking all reservations in advance via your travel agent. My husband and I were looking for pure relaxation on our trip, but did do a shark and stingray tour included in our package as well as a boat tour of the island on the Loveboat which is owned by a photographer Damien who takes professional photos of you throughout the tour and gives them to you on a CD at the end. Both were booked by our travel agent and both were amazing experiences. In summary, we highly recommend this hotel as the beauty of it outweighs some of the cons I wrote in the review. It really did take my breath away and I was so sad to leave to return to reality. We also recommend booking this hotel via Claudia of Pacific For Less who did a fantastic job planning our trip and helping us immediately with our travel issues. I normally book vacations myself, but would have never been able to get such a package at the value Claudia got for us (believe me, I tried!) plus the delayed flight caused so much stress and she fixed it right away.

1  Thank Rachel N
Cecilia O, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our resort and thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon vacation.We are very happy to read you have enjoyed our resort, beautiful location, friendly staff and your kind words will be shared with our team and especially your favorites. I took well note again of the points to be fixed in your bungalow and by the time you wrote your review they were already repaired by our Maintenance team.We do appreciate your constructive feedback as it enables us to improve servcies and room conditions. I am sorry however if you had a mixed feeling as regards as our Activities desk efficiency and service. Reservations for lunch or dinner at others properties are always upon availability and our team do try its best to make it happen. I guess the place you wanted to go was fully booked at the dates of your stay and won't accept non staying guests at their restaurants.
Thank you again andwe hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in our island.

Cécile

Write a ReviewReviews (2,715)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is an amazing place with the turtle sanctuary on site and lagoon. The over water bungalows are beautiful, however if you are looking for quality food, you will be disappointed they only have a buffet charged at 70 dollars per person, and the food is left under heated plates for hours, the only other restaurant is an italian which has great serving staff, but the food is not really edible. I had a carbonara which consisted of bacon and dry pasta, no sauce. You have to pay 50 dollars to get the boat to Vaitape to get a decent meal where we decided to go twice to get a nice meal. We spoke to some people who decided not to eat at all apart from breakfast because of this.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that over looks the mountain we had room 210 which was great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and pointed out the beauty of our location and bungalows.
We appreciate you share as well your opinion on food quality and are sorry if our meal options did not meet your expectations and was not at your taste.Be sure it will be shared with our Food and Beverage team who constantly have a look at reviews and guests feedbacks as it enables us to keep working on food quality.
We would be happy to welcome you back in future and demonstrate you some improvement.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Absolutely stunning location, with an excellent view of Mt Otemeau. We stayed in room 227, which was a Motu view and faced the Lagoonarium and St Regis. The bungalow was just over the deeper water, which was excellent if you wanted to dive off your private landing, however there wasn't many fish out deeper as they tended to stay closer to the shallower water (which doesn't matter anyways as there is the resort lagoon for snorkelling and exploring).

The airport and boat service from Bora Bora airport was very efficient and they got us organised and ready in the boat very quickly.

The rooms were clean and the bed was huge and comfortable. It was a far walk from the bungalow to the main areas of the resort but personally we found that better as we felt as if we were more private and not a lot of traffic walked past our room.
My husband and I enjoy relaxing with a movie of an evening, and it worked out to be around $30AUD per movie and you had access to the movie for 24 hours however once you watched it once what was the point of watching it again. You can feel the bungalows moving slightly as people walk down the walk way, and when there is strong winds. Also you can feel when someone else is walking through the bungalow. The shower was annoying as when you turned the water off you would have water near the sinks outside of the shower as the drain is directly below the shower head and the shower is open. The safe wasn't huge however we managed to fit any electrical items inkling iPads, and Two Cameras plus wallets and rings etc all in there when we went for our meals. The Housekeeping service is very efficient, they made up our room everyday without us asking and even had a turn down service when we booked into the resort restaurant. The glass bottom floor was awesome, massive and glowed at night when you turned the under bungalow light on. With the television, the only two english speaking channels they had were ESPN and CNN, which wasn't that big a deal but thought i would let you know.

As honeymooners their wasn't any kind of special arrangements made, however most couples that go there are there for an anniversary or honeymoon so it would be something nearly every guest would be receiving, so we werent expecting anything.

The resort activity desk was fairly good, they were open all day until about 7pm and you could ask them anything and they could help you sort it out. We didn't book anything prior to arriving and managed to do everything we wanted to do. On our first day we asked if we could book a helicopter flight, and knowing it was last minute realised how hard it would be to organise as there is only one helicopter in Bora Bora for all of the resorts, and it is a minimum of 4 passengers so they had to find another couple not necessarily from the resort to come with us. On our final day they managed to find us a spot and never quit looking for us.

We did use the Wellness Centre, we had a full body massage and I had a facial and my Husband had a leg massage. I found them very professional and they gave us a choice of oils and checked that the room temperature and pressure was fine and made us feel very comfortable. They were however pretty pricey.

We visited the Turtle sanctuary, its beautiful and we didn't, but if you wanted you had the opportunity to book to swim with the turtles after their daily feeding session at 1030am every morning which anyone is welcome to view. BE ADVISED they will automatically put a 1000XPF donation to the Turtle sanctuary on your bill when you check in. If you don't check your bill you will automatically be charged this. Don't feel obligated to donate if your not comfortable just let them know. We brought it up with them and they told us that it was something we could remove however we just left it on the bill.

The biggest thing we could mention would be the food. We had a full ball package so we were able to eat at the buffet for breakfast, restaurant or pool bar for lunch, and had to book in at the buffet or restaurant for dinner.

THE AMERICAN BREAKFAST - the breakfast was pretty good, we never had any issue with not having enough choice for food, they seat you down pretty quickly however they ask if you would like tea, coffee, or hot chocolate etc and only once they forgot about bringing us our order. (however you are not charged for these beverages)

THE RESORT RESTAURANT - we never ate at the pool bar, but had lunch at restaurant TE AVA. There wasn't a great deal of variety with the menu, three meat dishes 2 fish dishes, pizzas and some pasta dishes. We enjoyed all the meals we did eat from here though, and the waitresses are very good at recommending food.
We had dinner here on our final night, it was excellent there was a fair variety and we enjoyed all four dishes that we ordered. This was fairly pricey however it was covered in our Full Ball package.

THE BUFFET - The buffet for dinners was pretty alright, whilst there they had four theme nights in which we ate there.
French Cuisine - which was pretty good had a lot of variety and would suit most people, I am very picky and i was able to eat quite a lot. The desert was awesome for French night.
Polynesian Cuisine - which being picky made it hard for me to eat a lot, they had a little bit that i ate, however it was a lot of seafood and broths and raw fish, which I am not very fond of. The desert wasn't very exciting that night. (after dinner i had to order another meal from room service to feed my hunger) after dinner there is a Polynesian dance show outside the buffet restaurant on the beach. We enjoyed it and it was a good sense of culture without having to leave the resort.
BBQ Cuisine - AMAZING so much meat and different types of salads and vegetables the best buffet night for most people LOTS OF VARIETY. Desert was also pretty good
Asian Cuisine - The asian cuisine was alright, wasn't really fond of all of it, i just stuck to fried rice and spring rolls as it wasn't Asian food as i am used to in Australia it was more soups and again raw fish etc etc. Desert was nothing special this night either.

The buffets were all good if you were into the type of food they were serving. TIP find out which nights are what and then book into the restaurant when you think you may not enjoy the types of food.

The resort Lagoon was very enjoyable, plenty of fish and massive area to explore. The Beach hut aswell is easy to access. There is always someone there to assist you and there are plenty of things to do both FREE and paid for.

HANDY TIP there is no need to take beach towels, or snorkels and flippers. The beach hut can provide you with all you need and they allow you to keep it your whole stay so you just return it on your last day and they mark you off as returning them. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD TO KNOW.

Once again returning on the boat was done with great ease and made it hassle free.

2  Thank Nik B
Cecilia O, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your very detailled review of our resort and thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination.
We greatly appreciate your kind and nice description of our location , bungalows, and services offered and we are delighted to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us.
We would welcome the opportunity to see you back in our paradise island.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I were so lucky to be here on our honeymoon. We spent 6 days at this resort after staying in Huahine for 4 days. What a beautiful resort. The rooms were unbelievable!! We upgraded to the deep overwater bungalow and we were highly impressed. The glass floors, the beautiful decor, the fantastic views and the service was absolutely perfect. We can't wait to go back to this beautiful place. The people working there were so over the top friendly and accommodating. Be sure to use the spa here for a massage. I think it was the best ever! The food was excellent and the beaches and water were flawless. Thank you Le Meridien!!!!! And especially thanks to custom tahiti travel-our rep Jackie Schlumper was there every step of the way with our planning. She even answered our questions on Sundays. ;) Can't wait to return to this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the best room!!! We did- and got to see the sunset every night from our balcony with noth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Guests, Ia ora na!

Thank your for your nice review and for choosing Le Méridien Bora Bora as your honeymoon destination.

We are very pleased to read youhad a great stay and would be happy to welcome you again in a near future.

My sunniest regards,

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Some of the most affordable accommodations in Bora. So Don't Expect Luxury. If you are on your honeymoon or another special trip book one of the top 3 hotes here on tripadvisor: unless you wanted the cheapest. Linens were inferior quality (scratchy and synthetic), a shame considering just standard hotel sheets would be expected at even the lowest end starwood, no?

Our over water bungalow was very modern, dark and masculine. Reminded me of a city hotel like a Hyatt or I guess, a Le Meridian ;) Nice not Polynesian. The floor was sandy when we checked in and the rest of the room is clean except for the scum on the ladder you step up coming out of the ocean.

No bottled water in our room upon arrival. And never stocked. When we called over to ask if it was included or should we order it from room service- They Did Not Know. And they didn't offer to find out either. This is the person who answers calls from the guest bungalows. Couldn't find out. Ok...

The resort has some crazy beautiful views... from the beach, pool and lounge!

The food is on par.

Staff is polite.

Rates are very reasonable for Bora Bora.

Location is amazing.

Would recommend for friends traveling around French Polynesia on a tight budget and for backpacker types.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Great_Expectations84
Cecilia O, Executive secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort on the site. We are glad to read you have enjoyed our location and beautiful scenery and that overall you had a pleasant stay. However we are surprised to discover your comment as regard as linen and room . Our bungalows have been renovated in 2011 and were designed with a modern touch while keeping some local features and we were sorry to learn it was not up to your taste.Our linen are 100% cotton and up to Le Méridien brand 's standarts.
We hope we will have another occasion to welcome you in our small paradise and give you a better impression.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is located in a great location and the room is amazing. Because I held my wedding back in Le Meridien in other country, I booked Le Meridien Bora Bora for my honeymoon. However, even with further notice of the special occasion, there was not any special arrangement for us, not even a greeting about the honeymoon. I would highly recommend the hardware of the hotel, but if you need extra service, then you would need to pay. They charge everything they could, i.e. the transportation from/to the airport to the hotel, the transportation from/to the main island, and they only offer you two bottles of water upon your arrival. If you need more water during your stay, you would need to buy it with an extraordinarily expensive price. The food is also highly over-priced that we chose not to dine in the hotel for too many times. On their website, they claimed that they have free internet access for the customers, however, two of the three computers in the internet lounge are broken. The only working one is with the internet with extremely low speed access. Talking about the good part, the turtle feeding and the ecology center are both really good. And the free dancing show is quite impressive too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fayehsu0829
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Guests, Ia ora na!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Le Méridien Bora Bora.
Since your stay in late May, our Internet corner has been fixed and proposes three computers with free internet access.Wi fi is also available in the room.
We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you again and you can trust that all our friendly staff will just do their utmost to make your next experience at our resort a memorable and enjoyable one.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Been around the world but this was the best vacation we ever had! This magnificent resort accommodated us for an extra day at no cost, after showing up a day late because we missed our Tahiti Air flight from LA They treat you like you are the only guests they have been waiting for all week! Food was great and service second to none! Would bring us complimentary drinks & flowers for no reason. The over water bungalow is gorgeous and room service top notch, they would turn down the room and set the romantic mood. We can not rave enough about this resort, we never wanted to leave to go on excursions, everything we needed and wanted was right there at all the time!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow that is way out on the pontoon on the lagoon, best views ever!!!!!
1  Thank johomes
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Ia ora na!

Thank you for your review , we are very happy to hear your great comments on our service and staff. It will be a pleasure to share this with the team.
Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back again one day soon!

Sunny regards,