“What Else”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Milan, Italy
“What Else”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

It not a resort...it is THE resort. Amazing place, amazing staff (Clara was over the top). If you want to stay in bora bora this is the right place to enjoy your time and all you need. Since the arrival at the airport you can appreciate the cordiality....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guests,

We are grateful for your very warm and nice review and would be pleased to welcome you again in a near future.

Sunny regards,

Cécile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Eureka, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien recently and overall had a great time. The premium over the water bungalo was amazing. Beautiful architecture and wonderfully designed. The little island was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. On the morning we departed a glorious rainbow filled the sky over mount Otemanu and the physical beauty was overwhelming.
Unfortunately the prices are also otherwordly. After spending $75 for three drinks, and over $200 for a fair buffet dinner we decided to spend our money on other things. We took the $30 ferry across the ocean and went grocery shopping. The wine and cheese we found in the local grocery was phenomenal. I was able to buy a pair of Tahitian pearl earrings with the money we saved by not eating in the restaurant.
Oh, and the activity desk has limited offerings. If you want to dive with Top Dive or any other outfit, book online ahead of time. The desk will only help you with affiliated tours/dive operations etc..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily D
Cecilia O, Executive secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort ,all our team is pleased to read you have enjoyed your time with us and we would be pleased to welcome you again.

Sunny regards,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We visited the Le Meridian Bora Bora for 6 days on our Honeymoon in September. We had an amazing time, the resort is beautiful and we fully enjoyed all of their facilities. We took advantage of some of the water sports - paddle boarding, kayaking, and sailing. We went on one excursion, the shark and ray feeding half day tour set-up by our travel agent. This was a fantastic experience; I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little adventure. Our guide was great and somehow made swimming with sharks totally unintimidating. We booked our entire trip package through Pacific For Less, Claudia expertly tailored our trip to our preferences and delivered us an extremely discounted bundle that included flights, hotel, some food, and other perks. I cannot stress enough what a terrific job she did, it took all the stress out of booking individually for me and we ended up getting a great deal! Claudia and her team are extremely professional and always quick to respond to any inquiry. She made us a reservation for the VIP table at La Villa Mahana, which was by far one of our favorite meals to date (and this is coming from someone who lives in NYC and has very high standards). I will use Pacific For Less on my next trip to that area and insist that my friends and family do as well  The only negative I have to say about the hotel it the new charge for shuttle rides to the main village, Vaitape. Apparently, these used to be free, but are now around $60 a couple round trip. This was a little disconcerting, as we did not want to eat at the resort every night and ended up spending a lot of money just to get to another restaurant. Overall it was a terrific honeymoon, can’t I wait to return to Bora Bora!

Room Tip: Splurge for a premium Over Water Bungalow - it is well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amymarisa2013
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort on the site.
We are delighted to read your very positive reveiw. As regard as our boat shuttle, it is indeed a cost but it is direct into Vaitape meanwhile in the past guests had to take a boat and a taxi which was even more costly. It is a gain of time as well for our guests and an enjoyable ride on the lagoon until the town.
We hope we will have another occasion to welcome you in our small paradise.

Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora for 6 nights and booked through our amazing travel agent, Claudia of Pacific For Less. Unfortunately due to a delayed flight, we missed our connection to Tahiti and got hold of Claudia immediately who rearranged our travel plans seamlessly. We missed a night in Moorea due to the change, but gained a night in Bora Bora that Claudia managed to get us at no additional cost. The hotel is on its own motu so you take a boat from the airport to the hotel. When we got off the boat, I was speechless. The hotel's location is amazing overlooking the beautiful mountain and the varying shades of blue water in the lagoon are breathtaking. It is by far the nicest place I have ever visited. Annie checked us in and she was our favorite employee taking us on a tour of the hotel and being so friendly and funny. She must be a comedian in her spare time and having her greet us was the perfect start to our stay. We stayed in premium overwater bungalow 338 which had a view of the mountain, but not directly facing the entire mountain. This was not an issue for us though as the room itself was gorgeous and very modern. There was small damage to the wall by the door and the inside of the bathroom wall which I saw was mentioned in an earlier review so clearly they have not taken the time to fix it yet, but it didn't necessarily bother us. The glass floor is awesome although we heard you can open it at other hotels and you cannot at this hotel - again not a big deal for us as you can still see clearly through to the bottom of the lagoon. For food, we had breakfast included which was a buffet. I am not a huge fan of buffets, but it is very helpful having this meal included as part of the stay given food prices are so high throughout the island and the quality is not always what you expect compared to the cost (this is a fact I've come to accept in the French Polynesia). The breakfast buffet had a lot of options and the hot food was actually hot which isn't always the case at a buffet. The staff always greeted you with a smile at breakfast especially Gaelle who is so sweet. She would always seat us at a table with a great view of the lagoon and put our towels on top of a wine holder instead of us putting them on the floor. It is small efforts like that which I very much appreciate and enhance my experience. My husband and I always split lunch as the portions are large and costly. The food at the pool bar is cheaper than the restaurant opened for lunch which we discovered on day 2 and from there ate at the pool bar. They have a few Panini options with fries which worked just fine for us. We ate at the hotel 4 times for dinner. Our package included a romantic dinner which had 3 courses and a bottle of wine. The food was tasty (not the best filet I've ever had, but again you are in the middle of the Pacific ocean and not a fine steakhouse in NYC). The menu was a set menu and the only choice you made was for an appetizer. My husband and I usually don't eat dessert when we go out to eat, but this included it and the chocolate lava cake was awesome! We also learned at check in that you can use starwood points for certain activities and used points to book another romantic dinner the last night of our trip. One night we ordered room service as we felt like being lazy and we were not impressed. The options were very limited and not that tasty considering the cost. The best part was the bread and butter. We had one dinner at the restaurant overlooking the pool and both ordered pasta dishes which were ok (my mother is Italian and cooks amazing pasta so this makes it tough for me to enjoy pasta anywhere else. There were no other options on the menu I found appealing). The nice part was that you can use starwood points for bottles of wine so we took advantage of that. It is costly to eat dinner offsite as you need to first pay for the roundtrip boat transfers to and from the main island which is approx. $60 for 2 people. Our travel agent booked us the VIP table at La Villa Mahana which we highly recommend and Bloody Mary's which we also enjoyed. The only issue we ran into was with the activity desk. We understood there was a free shuttle to St. Regis and you can eat dinner at that hotel as both hotels are Starwood properties. We really wanted to try the sushi place at St. Regis and I went to the activity desk daily for 3 days to make this reservation. I was told each time they were trying to get the reservation and awaiting feedback from St. Regis. Finally I decided to call my travel agent and she did everything possible to get us a reservation, but by the time I reached out to her, the only day we had left to eat offsite was on a Sunday and the sushi place is closed. I got the impression the hotel didn't want you to eat offsite and therefore didn't really try to get us the reservation. I recommend booking all reservations in advance via your travel agent. My husband and I were looking for pure relaxation on our trip, but did do a shark and stingray tour included in our package as well as a boat tour of the island on the Loveboat which is owned by a photographer Damien who takes professional photos of you throughout the tour and gives them to you on a CD at the end. Both were booked by our travel agent and both were amazing experiences. In summary, we highly recommend this hotel as the beauty of it outweighs some of the cons I wrote in the review. It really did take my breath away and I was so sad to leave to return to reality. We also recommend booking this hotel via Claudia of Pacific For Less who did a fantastic job planning our trip and helping us immediately with our travel issues. I normally book vacations myself, but would have never been able to get such a package at the value Claudia got for us (believe me, I tried!) plus the delayed flight caused so much stress and she fixed it right away.

1 Thank Rachel N
Cecilia O, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our resort and thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon vacation.We are very happy to read you have enjoyed our resort, beautiful location, friendly staff and your kind words will be shared with our team and especially your favorites. I took well note again of the points to be fixed in your bungalow and by the time you wrote your review they were already repaired by our Maintenance team.We do appreciate your constructive feedback as it enables us to improve servcies and room conditions. I am sorry however if you had a mixed feeling as regards as our Activities desk efficiency and service. Reservations for lunch or dinner at others properties are always upon availability and our team do try its best to make it happen. I guess the place you wanted to go was fully booked at the dates of your stay and won't accept non staying guests at their restaurants.
Thank you again andwe hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in our island.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is an amazing place with the turtle sanctuary on site and lagoon. The over water bungalows are beautiful, however if you are looking for quality food, you will be disappointed they only have a buffet charged at 70 dollars per person, and the food is left under heated plates for hours, the only other restaurant is an italian which has great serving staff, but the food is not really edible. I had a carbonara which consisted of bacon and dry pasta, no sauce. You have to pay 50 dollars to get the boat to Vaitape to get a decent meal where we decided to go twice to get a nice meal. We spoke to some people who decided not to eat at all apart from breakfast because of this.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that over looks the mountain we had room 210 which was great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and pointed out the beauty of our location and bungalows.
We appreciate you share as well your opinion on food quality and are sorry if our meal options did not meet your expectations and was not at your taste.Be sure it will be shared with our Food and Beverage team who constantly have a look at reviews and guests feedbacks as it enables us to keep working on food quality.
We would be happy to welcome you back in future and demonstrate you some improvement.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Absolutely stunning location, with an excellent view of Mt Otemeau. We stayed in room 227, which was a Motu view and faced the Lagoonarium and St Regis. The bungalow was just over the deeper water, which was excellent if you wanted to dive off your private landing, however there wasn't many fish out deeper as they tended to stay closer to the shallower water (which doesn't matter anyways as there is the resort lagoon for snorkelling and exploring).

The airport and boat service from Bora Bora airport was very efficient and they got us organised and ready in the boat very quickly.

The rooms were clean and the bed was huge and comfortable. It was a far walk from the bungalow to the main areas of the resort but personally we found that better as we felt as if we were more private and not a lot of traffic walked past our room.
My husband and I enjoy relaxing with a movie of an evening, and it worked out to be around $30AUD per movie and you had access to the movie for 24 hours however once you watched it once what was the point of watching it again. You can feel the bungalows moving slightly as people walk down the walk way, and when there is strong winds. Also you can feel when someone else is walking through the bungalow. The shower was annoying as when you turned the water off you would have water near the sinks outside of the shower as the drain is directly below the shower head and the shower is open. The safe wasn't huge however we managed to fit any electrical items inkling iPads, and Two Cameras plus wallets and rings etc all in there when we went for our meals. The Housekeeping service is very efficient, they made up our room everyday without us asking and even had a turn down service when we booked into the resort restaurant. The glass bottom floor was awesome, massive and glowed at night when you turned the under bungalow light on. With the television, the only two english speaking channels they had were ESPN and CNN, which wasn't that big a deal but thought i would let you know.

As honeymooners their wasn't any kind of special arrangements made, however most couples that go there are there for an anniversary or honeymoon so it would be something nearly every guest would be receiving, so we werent expecting anything.

The resort activity desk was fairly good, they were open all day until about 7pm and you could ask them anything and they could help you sort it out. We didn't book anything prior to arriving and managed to do everything we wanted to do. On our first day we asked if we could book a helicopter flight, and knowing it was last minute realised how hard it would be to organise as there is only one helicopter in Bora Bora for all of the resorts, and it is a minimum of 4 passengers so they had to find another couple not necessarily from the resort to come with us. On our final day they managed to find us a spot and never quit looking for us.

We did use the Wellness Centre, we had a full body massage and I had a facial and my Husband had a leg massage. I found them very professional and they gave us a choice of oils and checked that the room temperature and pressure was fine and made us feel very comfortable. They were however pretty pricey.

We visited the Turtle sanctuary, its beautiful and we didn't, but if you wanted you had the opportunity to book to swim with the turtles after their daily feeding session at 1030am every morning which anyone is welcome to view. BE ADVISED they will automatically put a 1000XPF donation to the Turtle sanctuary on your bill when you check in. If you don't check your bill you will automatically be charged this. Don't feel obligated to donate if your not comfortable just let them know. We brought it up with them and they told us that it was something we could remove however we just left it on the bill.

The biggest thing we could mention would be the food. We had a full ball package so we were able to eat at the buffet for breakfast, restaurant or pool bar for lunch, and had to book in at the buffet or restaurant for dinner.

THE AMERICAN BREAKFAST - the breakfast was pretty good, we never had any issue with not having enough choice for food, they seat you down pretty quickly however they ask if you would like tea, coffee, or hot chocolate etc and only once they forgot about bringing us our order. (however you are not charged for these beverages)

THE RESORT RESTAURANT - we never ate at the pool bar, but had lunch at restaurant TE AVA. There wasn't a great deal of variety with the menu, three meat dishes 2 fish dishes, pizzas and some pasta dishes. We enjoyed all the meals we did eat from here though, and the waitresses are very good at recommending food.
We had dinner here on our final night, it was excellent there was a fair variety and we enjoyed all four dishes that we ordered. This was fairly pricey however it was covered in our Full Ball package.

THE BUFFET - The buffet for dinners was pretty alright, whilst there they had four theme nights in which we ate there.
French Cuisine - which was pretty good had a lot of variety and would suit most people, I am very picky and i was able to eat quite a lot. The desert was awesome for French night.
Polynesian Cuisine - which being picky made it hard for me to eat a lot, they had a little bit that i ate, however it was a lot of seafood and broths and raw fish, which I am not very fond of. The desert wasn't very exciting that night. (after dinner i had to order another meal from room service to feed my hunger) after dinner there is a Polynesian dance show outside the buffet restaurant on the beach. We enjoyed it and it was a good sense of culture without having to leave the resort.
BBQ Cuisine - AMAZING so much meat and different types of salads and vegetables the best buffet night for most people LOTS OF VARIETY. Desert was also pretty good
Asian Cuisine - The asian cuisine was alright, wasn't really fond of all of it, i just stuck to fried rice and spring rolls as it wasn't Asian food as i am used to in Australia it was more soups and again raw fish etc etc. Desert was nothing special this night either.

The buffets were all good if you were into the type of food they were serving. TIP find out which nights are what and then book into the restaurant when you think you may not enjoy the types of food.

The resort Lagoon was very enjoyable, plenty of fish and massive area to explore. The Beach hut aswell is easy to access. There is always someone there to assist you and there are plenty of things to do both FREE and paid for.

HANDY TIP there is no need to take beach towels, or snorkels and flippers. The beach hut can provide you with all you need and they allow you to keep it your whole stay so you just return it on your last day and they mark you off as returning them. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD TO KNOW.

Once again returning on the boat was done with great ease and made it hassle free.

2 Thank Nik B
Cecilia O, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your very detailled review of our resort and thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination.
We greatly appreciate your kind and nice description of our location , bungalows, and services offered and we are delighted to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us.
We would welcome the opportunity to see you back in our paradise island.

Buffalo
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I were so lucky to be here on our honeymoon. We spent 6 days at this resort after staying in Huahine for 4 days. What a beautiful resort. The rooms were unbelievable!! We upgraded to the deep overwater bungalow and we were highly impressed. The glass floors, the beautiful decor, the fantastic views and the service was absolutely perfect. We can't wait to go back to this beautiful place. The people working there were so over the top friendly and accommodating. Be sure to use the spa here for a massage. I think it was the best ever! The food was excellent and the beaches and water were flawless. Thank you Le Meridien!!!!! And especially thanks to custom tahiti travel-our rep Jackie Schlumper was there every step of the way with our planning. She even answered our questions on Sundays. ;) Can't wait to return to this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the best room!!! We did- and got to see the sunset every night from our balcony with noth...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cecilia O, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Guests, Ia ora na!

Thank your for your nice review and for choosing Le Méridien Bora Bora as your honeymoon destination.

We are very pleased to read youhad a great stay and would be happy to welcome you again in a near future.

My sunniest regards,