“Postcard Perfect Resort, even while driving with a 4 year old”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Orange County
“Postcard Perfect Resort, even while driving with a 4 year old”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

So a bit about my experience and background. Travelled with wife and 4 year old daughter. Hilton was one of the resorts we stayed in, the other was Sofitel Motu. Hilton exceeded my expectations with the the OTW (over the water) Bungalow.
The Room:
The room is amazing with impecable snorkeling right off your porch. Outdoor shower, nice size LCD, Huge Indoor Rain Faucet Shower and Large tub for 2, very comfortable bed, 2 underwater windows to browse and look for fish.... Wouldn't change a thing about the room.
The Grounds:
Grounds were very nice. Not the lush green you expect like in Maui or a tropical island, but well maintained, beautifull and clean. Didn't experience the Spa, but from the walk up the hill to its facilities and the view at the top, I can't imagine going wrong with it. Keep in mind the grounds are large and it can take a while to walk from the room to the pool or spa area, but porters are easily available to transport you doorstep to doorstep.
Food/Restaurants
We dined in the main Lobby Upstairs restaurant for dinner. They had live music which was perfect. View was perfect. Service was excellent, ambience was romantic and pleasant. The food had a great appearance and fair selection, but neither my new zealand lamb chops nor my wife's Mahi Mahi had any memorable taste to it. I would actually rate it as a 3 on a scale to 10. Probably wouldn't repeat other than to enjoy the ambience and view. The restaurant on the beachside/pool fits the same category. Pleasureable environment. good service, but lacking on the taste. The part where you say, WOW this was excellent, however, the mood and the apperance and polynesian style makes up for this.
Kid Friendly:
Well, when in Bora Bora, nothing is kid friendly except for the airlines giving priority seating to the island. The staff may try, but the reality is, Bora Bora isn't designed for Kids. Knowing this, I set the right expectations and also prepared my 4 year old with what to expect. Ocean activites with mommy and daddy. Snorkeling is amazing here and my daughter was prepared, so she was ready and having a blast. Kayaking is easy and again fun for the family. Swamping from pool to beach is fun. The grand finale activity for my kid was feeding the fish, both at the ponds near the beach restaurant and off our OTW bungalow at our room. Take a few of the small french baguettes after eating and let your kids enjoy. Mine had a blast and I am sure the "domesticated" local fish appreciated it, but that is about it for the kids club acitivies. Parents and kids in Bora Bora are a bit of an oxymoron. Doesn't exist, so if you do plan to take your kids, be ready for some serious QT with them as they will probably bored unless they participate in water activities.
Check Out.
Our flight was leaving at 6PM and I requested a late check out. The receptionist was accomodating on this. Though they were full, they got us a transition room for 5,000 XPF whic was abotu $70 USD. Totally worth it as it allows you to enjoy a full day without the hassle of showing at the pool or chaning at the poolside restaurant. The room is identical to the OTW bungalow, however, it is on land. Totally recommend it if your flight out is later in the day.

Some Tips:
Bora Bora is very expensive. Everything is way over priced. So set the right expectations. We knew this so we planned accordingly. Highly Highly Highly recommend the NONO Tours. This is almost a full day event. Take you on a boat (with live music on the boat and it is covered so you have shade) to swim with Sharks, At the Coral Gardens with tons of fish and eel, then off to a Motu for a traditional lunch and dance lesson; Teach you how to cut coconuts, and finally swim with sting rays.. Sounds spooky to some, but simply put, my 4 year old and my wife (who is terrified by sharks) did all of it with out any hesitation and they loved it.... well maybe the stingrays scared them a bit, but they it is so much fun and a once in a life experience. Give it a try. I also took a day to go Scuba Diving with Bathy's Scuba.. AWESOME Staff and facility. Loved it..
Other recommendation, that I don't think many others do is try a couple of resorts while on Bora Bora. There are a few different ones to choose from with OTW bungalows. We experienced 4 resorts and each one had its own character. IF you plan on staying there for more than 10 nights I recommend trying at least 2 resorts and it will be like going on 2 vacations in a way. The SPA at Coral Beach Resort is amazing. The Turtle feeding and lagoon at Le Meridean is unique and different as well.
Finally, We did circle Bora Bora island. Not much to write about. very poor island in my opinion with nothing much to see. The Bloody Mary's restaurant was fun and memorable and the food was AMAZING there. Highly recommend it. The main town was not impressive, but if you go, try the Aloe cafe in town. Decent food. Again, if you go with family or kids. Set all the right expectations and you will love it. We got back just a few days ago and looking back on the pics, it makes you have a whole different appreciation for the ocean and sea. Almost as if the colors and sea was sureal at the time, but looking at them again, just makes it feel like WOW was that real.

Room Tip: Just be sure they are OTW bungalows
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank bebrahim
sebmaing, Directeur général at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear Sir, Madame,

The entire team of Hitlon Bora Bora Nui is delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your honeymoon and wish to thank you immensely for your gracious comments about our hotel.
It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to improve the standards you have experienced.

Sebastien Maingourd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Irvine, California, USA
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This is a very nice resort on its own motu with great views. However when I went around and looked at other properties, one thing that I seriously found would have made this a better than perfect stay would be the depth of the lagoon. The water is about 20 ft deep below the over water bungalows whereas in other places its about 4-5 ft. That gave a terrific view at the other properties. However, I spent decent amount of time on Motu Tapu (private motu owned by Hilton exclusive for its guests) where the water is very shallow and actually saw three sting rays while snorkeling there. The staff was good. Amelie was very hospital in addressing our requests. There was a cultural difference that contributed to the kind of service that some of the westeners think is under par. You will understand that, you will enjoy more. We stayed at the Royal Over Water Bungalow which had a jacuzzi on the deck. Beach side grill was good but the other one was not that great for the price that they charge. All the bungalows have wireless internet. I recommend this hotel for privacy but if you dont care, then look at other hotels as well on the lagoon.

Room Tip: If you are staying in a deluxe over water bungalow, prefer 109 or 108. If you are staying in a royal...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prasad0923
CT
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel has so much to offer, I can not say enough good things about it. The over water bungalows are spacious. The bathrooms are AMAZING! We never left of back dock, there was no need, the swimming, snorkeling, and priceless scenery was right out our back door. The staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely be returning as soon as possible!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brimc423
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Hilton was the first resort we stayed at on our trip to French Polynesia. The property was beautiful and the garden villa was comfortable and worthy of its 5 star rating. I am however forced to give the hotel a negative review due to the poor service we received during our stay. As soon as we arrived at the airport we got our luggage and went to the greeter to get our luggage tags. As we stood there we were completely ignored given our young age as the girl serviced the older couples before us and we ended up the last ones to get our tags despite being the first ones there. When we arrived at the hotel at 10am we watched all of the other couples get escorted to their rooms after which we were told that our room would not be ready until 2pm. I asked the French girl if they had another room available and she said she did not but an overwater bungalow would be vacated shortly and they could have it ready in ½ and hour for an additional $175 per night. I then asked why the room we had reserved could not be ready in half an hour and the condescending French girl (I wish I took her name down) could not give us a valid reason. So basically if I paid more than the huge sum I had already paid I would not have to wait four hours for my room. After 24 hours of travel time I was appalled at this and in no mood for the girl’s extortion tactics. We ended up roaming around the resort like sleepless zombies until our room was ready. When we finally got our room it was great despite the rooster that lived next to our villa that loved to announce the sunrise at 5am. We had breakfast included which was excellent but watch out for the price gouging on other meals which will run you $150-200 per day for mediocre food.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank gc0526
Dear Sir, Madam

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hilton Bora Bora Pearl Nui Resort & Spa.

At the Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

Best Regards,

Boca Raton
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was an outstanding property. Fruit served poolside in the morning and donuts in the afternoon. Every room was breath taking. They had great food and a ferry that would take you to the main land. I want to live in this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blondeenuff

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

All the words I write write here are not enough to describe how spectacular is that place. People that work at Hilton Bora Bora are very nice and willing to help you anytime anywhere. Lobby, reception is absolutely amazing, everything is like a dream. My wife and I had a great time at the Hotel and stayed in Overwater Bungalow Premium, they (Hotel) gave us and upgrade to the room. I can compare with other hotels in Bora Bora and I can say that Hilton Nui is the BEST!. Do not hesitate in spending some time at Hilton in Bora Bora. The bungalow is such an awesome place to stay that it is not necessary to get out from it, you can feed fihes and swim with them, corals are everywhere and are pretty cool. Also the you can book some activities such Parasailing (We loved the most) & Acuasafari. All people speak Local language, French & English, but like a 3 people from the hotel also speak spanish which was great. In conclusion, if we plan to go to Bora Bora again, no doubt that our choice to spend the nights would be at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort.

Room Tip: When you are going to book the room, ask for
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diego R

Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 September 2011

This is the second time we have been to Bora Bora and the first time at the Hilton. The Hilton was the perfect place. The staff is the best the Spa team is wonderful.
We will stay there again
On our first day we received a surprise chucolate bumpy cake. Yum Yum.
Had some trouble with the common interent but really did not care, as everything else was perfect.

Room Tip: The Over Water Bungalows are super.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
sebmaing, Directeur général at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this review, 12 September 2011