“Great time”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The Pearl gets 5-stars for overall value and a hard working local staff. If you dream of relaxing on your Over Water Bungalow deck with an unobstructed view of Mt. Otemanu and jumping right into the crystal clear water then book a Premium Over Water Bungalow (POWB)* at the Pearl and just enjoy being in Bora Bora.

The staff was great on all levels and the GM allowed our honeymoon to end on really high note because he made a reasonable accommodation (that he did not have to do as per the letter of law). The location/views from the POWB’s are spectacular and the point of going there. The spa was top notch in look and feel. The grounds are pretty and well kept. The rest of the facilities ranged from “very nice” to “in need of updating.”

I think the worst thing you can do is say “I spend $200/night for a regular hotel back home so $500-$1,000/night should get me the best stuff ever!” You are not all together wrong, but one can only compare to the possible alternatives, and remember you’re paying to be in Bora Bora.

A POWB at the Pearl may cost about the same as a regular OWB at some “newer/fancier” resorts (depending on season) but you’ll probably be stuck looking away from the mountain or direct at other OWB’s. Even our particular "Mountain View" room at the Four Seasons (definitely worth the experience even for one night!), which listed for 2x as much, had nowhere near as good of a view as our POWB at the Pearl. The Pearl also had a lot more natural marine life but I digress… You can pay less but be on the main island, which is very nice, but not as good as being on a private motu facing Mt. Otemanu. The Pearl was a great balance of all considerations.

We ate very well. Breakfast was awesome and lunch/dinner very good. The Italian restaurant was a nice change of pace (intimate setting) but was the least thrilling of all our meals. Booking tours through the Pearl activities desk was easy (Jet Ski & Shark/Sting Ray a must!). You can book direct via email with Moana Tours for a few bucks less (cash only), but the convenience going through the resort may be worth it for some.

A few general notes about BB: 1) Bloody Mary's was delicious and worth it. 2) Go into the main town just once to buy water, snacks, and wine. There is not much else there. 3) Bring medicines with you, basic things like cough/cold pills, bacitracine for cuts, band aids, ect - there is only one pharmacy and it’s on the main island. 4) Sit LEFT side of plane heading into BB if possible.

All in all we had a great time at the Pearl and for Bora Bora where value is hard to find you actually get some here. We bounced around FP and stayed in some fabulous places (can you say VAHINE Island!), but now that it’s been a few months we look back and some of the best times of our honeymoon were relaxing on our POWB deck at the Pearl enjoying the fabulous sun, sunsets and sunrises.

*As a note, while most of the "Premium" OWBs face direct towards the Mountain a few are situated away (with the "best lagoon views" as per the website). So best to be as clear as possible with your travel agent or hotel rep that you desire a mountain facing POWB if that is the case.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank samdogNY
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear SamdogNY,
Thank you for choosing the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa for celebrating your honeymoon.
It is an honour to serve you during such a unique event and to know that we have made your stay a memorable experience.
Awaiting the moment of welcome you again
I hope you will come and visit us again.
David Ballandras

Write a ReviewReviews (2,625)

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at both the Hilton Nui Bora Bora and Pearl Beach for our honeymoon. Between the 2 resorts I preferred the views of Pearl Beach as it faces Mt. Otemanu; however, the Hilton resort was much nicer. We stayed in one of the premium over water bungalows. The view from the bungalow was breathtaking! The bungalow has a spacious bathroom and bedroom area, as well as it's own upper and lower deck. The resort itself was much smaller than the Hilton Nui and its beach was smaller. Pearl Beach had 2 restaurants, a bar & grill by the pool, a more upscale restaurant, as well as a sports bar with billiard tables. The resort does offer complementary snorkels, kayaks, and canoes. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

If you are looking for a more private experience, I would recommend the Hilton Nui over this resort. We stayed here the second portion of our trip and found that there were many families with children staying there and overall it just seemed to be a lot busier. The Pearl Beach resort also does not have a direct shuttle to take you to Vaitape (the main town on the main island). You will take a brief shuttle ride across the lagoon and then take a bus into town. You will have to pay for the bus tickets to get you to and from town. There is also a limited bus schedule in comparison to the boat shuttle schedule. If you are going to the main island for an excursion, the tours will pick you up right from Pearl Beach's landing on the main island, and you will not need to take the bus.

As far as the room, the only complaint we had was the bed-the mattress was very hard.

If you are looking for great views, this resort has them. If you are looking for something more from your resort, I would recommend you research others.

Room Tip: If you stay at this resort, you have to stay in a premium over water bungalow as you will have the b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa K

Dear Melissa K,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer your feedback concerning our property. It is with constructive comments such as yours that we are able to fine tune our services.
The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustments accordingly and guarantee the best experience for our future guests.
I, personally, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We spent 5 nights here on our honeymoon, and splashed out and stayed in one of the overwater bungalows. The resorts location is amazing - isolated with a stunning outlook of Mont Otemanu.

The novelty of having small sections of artificial reef underneath the bungalow didn't wear off - we found it very relaxing, with the added bonus of easy access to the sea. We were able to snorkel to the coral garden that they have created, which had a large variety of tropical reef fish resident there.

The room was really nice and well maintained, and the turndown service was really good. It was different every night, with a card with a different legend for us to peruse.

We found the English spoken there was impeccable, and the food really was great. The Island Night was a bit boring, but in our part of the world there is a lot of really impressive Pacifica groups doing there thing.

Overall, highly recommend the resort, and we'd love to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Oliver F
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Oliver F,

Thank you for choosing our resort for celebrating your honeymoon.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday, and enjoyed the comfort of your bungalow as well as the facilities throughout our resort.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your future holiday.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

BB is light years away from what can be expected from any leading hotel. Overall tune of local staff - foreign staff try to make up for it, but are outnumbered - 'it's not my responsibility', their attitude with few exceptions - e.g. Heipua, very friendly, client oriented & competent - is unfriendly & client averse, their work incompetent & slow. BB seriously lacks management and leadership, we've not met the GM, David Ballandras, once during our 12 nights stay. The quality of food and cuisine are mediocre and lack variety, platters, jars etc. of b/f buffet were regularly empty, same valid for many dishes on x-mas eve. The latter a costly event 'guests are obligated to participate' as one staff phrased it - that's exactly how one felt as a customer. Our premium over-water bungalow was ok, showing its age, not overly clean, sheets stained and torn. However, no reason to got to BB for this, the Maldives provide a large number of much nicer resorts with truly awesome over-water bungalows, with direct access to the corals and snorkeling sites and truly unforgettable, friendly service and delicious food.
Never going back ever again. If you get a deal for USD 200 b/b a night you may think about it otherwise it's neither worth your money nor your good mood.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank ZOC888

Dear Zoc 888,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here.
We would be most happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. The comfort of our guests is our foremost concern, and we practice performing this at the highest level every day. Please contact me directly at gm@borapearlbeach.pf to provide me with your phone number to discuss further as we certainly would like to resolve this.
Many thanks.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We spent 3 nights at BB Pearl during a 5 day stopover in Tahiti. The weather was not great, but we had a fantastic 4 days in BB. The resort has a stunning location & the sand bottomed lagoon beneath the over water bungalows is breathtaking.

We chose the BB Pearl because it was one of the only resorts to accept children, which we were very grateful for. That said, it isn't particularly child oriented (no childcare etc), but that didn't cause us any issues.
We had an overwater bungalow, so we avoided the inevitable '10 month old trying to eat sand' by being able to transition right from our own deck to the lagoon. The room was fantastic & well stocked, there were a few things that needed attention (lights not working), but these were addressed very quickly by the staff; the shower & balcony sliding doors were very sticky & hard to move (which were not addressed during our stay). The one issue with a 10 month old baby, was there was no way to lock the top of the 'fish viewing/feeding box', which our son quickly discovered he could open, so we had to pile luggage on top of it to prevent him doing so (which detracted from the aesthetics a bit).
The staff were very friendly & attentive in all areas.
The activity desk had a variety of excursions, we took the half day snorkelling excursion (with Pure Snorkelling), which was fantastic & very baby friendly! We are avid hikers & were disappointed the only hiking they could recommend was on a guided tour, at a cost (we later heard from the 'Pure Snorkelling' operator that there is an easily found track up the mountain).

On the return airport transfer, we were dropped at the airport 2 hrs before our flight & then the flight was delayed 1 hr (BB airport is not a well-equipped place to relax with a 10 month old); this transpired to be an admin error & to their credit, the resort quickly credited us the cost of the airport transfer when we highlighted this.

We arrived on an 8am flight from Papeete & they checked us right into our room on arrival which was nice & (for a fee) we were able to stay in our room until we departed for the airport on an evening flight.

Overall a wonderful 4 days, but with a little extra effort, this resort could be extraordinary.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank hutchero
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Hutchero,

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This is basically a very good hotel. It is expensive, but naturally we understood this before we made the reservation, hence can't complain about it now. My wife and I wanted to experience staying at an over the water place so we decided to splurge for one night getting a premium OTW bungalow on Expedia for about $592. The room and the common areas/views were excellent. The number of fish during snorkeling in the lagoon turned out to be far less than what we were hoping for.

In addition to the room rate, the mandatory boat ride to and from the airport costs to a couple 7800 cfp (nearly $100). What disappointed me most was the fact that you have to pay for Wi-FI
additionally,when I knew that WI-FI would be free in the next hotel we would stay for around $100 per night on the main island! I suppose it is good marketing keeping the room rate low and adding fees to basic needs!

Making a direct phone call from the room to the main island was impossible(The line was always busy). I wanted to ask for help from the front desk but it was always busy too(over half an hour). I had to go to reception and when I mentioned the problem to the gentleman at the front desk, he did not seem to be surprised and used his cellphone to make the call for me.

There was only one restaurant open. The food was so so. The risotto I had was the smallest I have ever seen! The breakfast was good but for fruits, they had only fruit salad.

Overall, the hotel is nice but there are several areas that can be improved.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ryokogasuki

Dear Valued Guest,

We were glad to welcome you at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, and we do appreciate you valuable notes regarding our hotel premises and our service as well.

We have taken note of the comments you made in regards to the choice for the dinner, and we thank you to bring it to our attention, so that we can make adjustments accordingly.

I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

This review comes a little late as my husband and I honeymooned there in September but I relied on these reviews to book my trip and felt guilty not posting about my experience. We came from New Jersey and almost didn't go because of how long the travel was going to be but I am so happy we made the once in a lifetime journey. Well might have thought it would be once in a lifetime before we left but we have decided once isn't enough of this beautiful paradise.

We chose the Pearl because we wanted to spend four days at the St. Regis and 4 at another hotel and the budget wouldn't allow for much more expensive. I am so glad our travel company selected this resort for us. Obviously the St. Regis is the St. Regis but it felt very commercial and this resort made you feel like you were in the French Polynesian. The staff was all from there and loved to teach you about their land. We stayed in a Garden Bungalow which I was nervous about but I loved it! Such privacy with your own pool or hot tub and outdoor lounging area and shower. The one suggestions I do have is opt for the room with the jacuzzi as the pool is a little cool. Everything was just beautiful.

Since it was so much less than the St. Regis I didn't go in expecting much but the staff, accommodations and views were breathtaking. The only cons I would say is the food is not spectacular but we had the all inclusive package and just made do with the dinners we got. It wasn't by any means inedible is just wasn't the best. The breakfast buffet however is something my husband still talks about. People ask him about the different hotels and he goes on and on about the breakfast buffet - go figure! I will say the view from the buffet and the variety of it is awesome so don't miss it! Another con would probably be the beach. The water only comes about knee high and even most bungalows didn't look like they were in very deep water which I thought was a minor downside but no big deal.

Pacific For Less helped us with booking the trip and I would highly recommend them. I shopped around quite a bit and found out about them after reading the reviews of others on this site. I was nervous as I was unfamiliar with them but there are not many travel companies that arrange trips to the French Polynesian on the East Coast so I gave them a shot. They by far had the best packages to offer and when I told the competitors what was included the couldn't match it. Their knowledge of the island, restaurant recommendations and excursion recommendations were perfect! Speaking of which the Jet Skiing excursion was great! I highly recommend that and the private boat trip that we took. We hardly ever get pictures taken where we are both in them and my husband hates it but he LOVED this excursion. We booked it through Pacific For Less along with our jet skiing excursion and these two things remain the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amanda L
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Amanda L,

Thank you for choosing our resort for celebrating your honeymoon.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your future holiday.