“Bora Bora Hotel Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Batavia, Illinois
“Bora Bora Hotel Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked my stay at Hotel Maitai through Tahiti Travel Planners for my birthday. This hotel exceeded my expectations! On my birthday the hotel sent me a fruit platter. I was pleasantly suprised and thought it was very thoughtful of them. The rooms were easy to find. There was signage on the grounds. I really liked that the hotel front desk called me the day before my departure and told me when the shuttle bus would be coming, when the shuttle boat would be leaving and reminded me of my flight time. I stayed in different rooms one being an overwater bungalow. The hotel was very accommodating of this. I wish I could have stayed in an overwater bungalow the whole trip. It was amazing! The excursions offered were fun and easy to reserve. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Overwater bungalows are beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mandy J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel is a three star resort. It has 2 restraunts and 1 bar. Unfortuneately only 1 restraunt was open. After 4 nights the menu and scene became a little tiresome. However the service and quality of food could not be faulted. The only problem we had was we paid for drinks everynight at the restraunt. The day before we were due to leave I found that these had been charged to our room. When I went to complain at the restraunt the language barrier was evident as they thought i wanted to pay. This created a major drama when we went to check out. However the hotel finally accepted our version of events.The overwater bungalow we stayed in was a well appointed room but the shower sprayed everywhere but down. But I must say that when the shower became blocked and we reported it it was fixed that day. The hotel is conviently located on the main island with most activities and the town not to far away. We found the reception staff vary in demeanour and attitude widely depending on who was there at the time. Being critisied in French between staff when they think you don't understand is not something that should occur in any hospitality situation. Having said that if this hotel did not exist there is no way we would have been able to afford an overwater experience in French Polynesia. If you catch a taxi from here make sure you get them to call Danny he is a knowledgeable man and bends over backwards to accomodate you.

Room Tip: Try and get Bungalow 5 it appears to be one of the deeper water ones or Bungalow 8 it is newer and h...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Don L
Victorville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Maitai from February 27th-March 3rd. We were in an over water bungalow which was amazing! We ate every day at their beach restaurant because the food was great and it was very personal. The people went out of their way to make you feel welcome and spoke good English. Some of our favorites were Rosalie, our guide, and Minu, the bartender. We did a lot of snorkeling and kayaking, which were free to use while you stayed there. The water is an amazing shade of blues and the beach is white sands. We also rented bikes and rode around the entire island, approx 20miles. I would strongly recommend a bike ride. It is a great way to see the beauty of this amazing island. The Maitai is convenient to walk to the market and shopping yet it is very secluded. We have taken other island vacations and so far Bora Bora is our favorite. :)

Room Tip: I feel the beach bungalows or over water bungalows would be the best choice to stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Barbara M
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

This was our second visit to Bora Bora and we were determined not to be "trapped" on a motu like the first time. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for. An easy walk in either direction to a little convenience store, places to eat, other hotels and Matira Beach - the only public beach on Bora Bora. The hotel was very nicely laid out with a friendly and hospitable staff. The hotel restaurant was excellent.

Our beach bungalow had a great view and was very comfortable - though the AC was fairly noisy. The main road separates the reception/hotel room section from the beach bungalows so you can also hear cars and trucks going by on occasion. Wandering dogs can also sometimes disturb the quiet. So, if you're looking for full blown luxury resort experience this is not the place. For us, having already done that, we were happy to pay less and have the freedom to walk around and actually be in French Polynesia.

For serious snorkelers the swim (from Matira Beach) out past Matira Point to the reef is a unique adventure. Also swam from Matira Beach across the bay to the mounts off the Hotel Bora Bora. Great spot but while swimming back I wished I had walked! No big deal...it was so shallow I could just stand up and rest when fighting the current became tiring. However, to really appreciate the snorkeling on Bora Bora take a tour for real snorkelers - not one of those "lagoonarium" boats that drops by a few spots for 15 minutes and then tries to impress you with shark and sting ray feeding.

4 Thank applegar
Walled Lake, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed at Maitai Bora Bora for 5 nights/6 days from March 4th-9th in Owb #108. We had a great time and really enjoyed our stay! The beach is lovely and I enjoyed snorkeling from our deck- I saw a turquoise parrot fish under our room and a handful of cracker crumbs would always bring in a swarm of fish! We enjoyed breakfast every morning at the nice beach restaurant Tamaa and enjoyed eating beneath a frangipani- plumeria tree right on the water. Our first morning 2 rays swam right by and we got Pics to prove it! Everyone there was SO NICE, we rented a car to drive around the Island one day and took the shuttle into town on 2 other afternoons. Sadly it rained on 3 out of our 6 days, so I had to cancel our Boat tour twice and we didn't get the chance to feed the rays and sharks and snorkel the coral garden! We took advantage of Happy hour at their Bar nealy everynight from 6:00- 7:00, 2 tropical cocktails for the price of one! They were so good! We shopped for pearls in the main town of Vaitape and found a Hole in the wall which served delicious crepes for lunch. One night we had Dinner at Bloody Marys which was very fun and a wonderful meal! We walked to Matira beach which was just beautiful and had a great swim! Also had Dinner at Matira beach Restaurant which was very good. Our last night- Saturday we went to the Intercontinental's Polynesian dance show and for the price of one drink at their upscale bar enjoyed some wonderful live entertainment. I was delighted to be picked to dance with the locals and had a great time and got some coloroful pics! Our stay passed too quickly and I will definitely book a longer stay next time~ can't wait to get back to Tahiti's fair Isles! Best place on earth!! (and I was born in Hawaii)

Room Tip: The beach cottages looked nice, but its hard to beat the Owbs overlooking the deep water- the views...
3 Thank Lani W
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Very nice hotel, with different room standards - from garden and ocean view rooms in a block, to beach or water villas. The beach restaurant has a good menu, and is reasonably priced. 5 mins walk from a good supermarket, other restaurants and a few shops.
Quite a small beach area, but it has lovely white sand and you can snorkel directly from the beach.
They provide free snorkelling equipment as well and kayaks, and have lots of information on various activities. They can arrange a return transfer to the ferry for 2500XPF per person.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank expressive-one
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

My boyfriend and I had an amazing vacation at Hotel Maitai.

I noticed the other hotels on Bora Bora were over clear water, but I really wanted to see some fish so I chose this place. We splurged on an overwater bungalow and were lucky to get one over the coral! The fish were beautiful! We even saw a group of stingrays go by a few times.

The available kayaks were amazing and there is a little grocery store close by where we were able to grab snacks and wine.

If I ever get the opportunity to go back, we will be here for the privacy and great water area.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the bungalows over the coral. I also like to bring my own snorkel, but there wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple