InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
berlin
“was ok!”
Reviewed 8 October 2007

view was top!*******************
OWB for this preis was to small!!
the restaurant ? its better to go at bloody mary!
service ????????????
Personal ? They didn`t now wat is it Hotel or restaurant.
TOTAL CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — OWB view
  • Disliked — hotel service!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank michali t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 September 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Le Moana Intercontinental for six days and would likely not stay there again. The property and accomodations are beautiful, the rooms plush and comfortable, but the service is unforgivably bad. You get the feeling that you are tolerated more than catered to, and we are not "high maintenance" guests by a long stretch! While nothing in Bora Bora is very far away, the location of the Le Moana is quite ideal ... you are on a gorgeous stretch of beach and are close to anywhere. If we could just fix the service!!! We did make a day over at the Intercontinental Thalasso and found that property to be spectacular. We bought the "half board" meal plan and wish we would not have because the restaurant is not that good and there are too many other places to eat that are better.

Stayed September 2007
12 Thank Jexy
New York City
Reviewed 11 September 2007

I wrote the below letter to the InterContinental Hotel Group's corporate offices after my return from French Polynesia. All they told me was "sorry" and that they would use the below for "training for future guests." But where does that leave me? Nowhere. Just upset is wasted 980 USD per night (plus tax) on this lousy hotel. Even after this letter, the corporate offices didn't sincerely respond to the severe problems in their hotel. They made no attempt to bring me back to their hotels, even in the US. I will never stay at an InterContinental again. I must have been insane when I booked this trip -- the prices here are absolutely crazy, even compared to NYC standards. Please go somewhere else for this money. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone anywhere else. For Below is an excerpt from my letter:

=====================================================
I just returned from my honeymoon to French Polynesia and stayed at the two InterContinental Hotel Properties below:

InterContinental Le Moana (Bora Bora)
InterContinental Resort and Spa (Moorea)

I normally would never write a letter such as this, however, given the circumstances surrounding my once in a lifetime honeymoon, I need to report to you the level of dissatisfaction I experienced during my stay at your properties.

Upon arrival at Le Moana, my wife and I were greeted by your check-in staff and were looking forward to spending our time in the beautiful surroundings; however, things quickly became unacceptable after this.

Some instances that I would like to highlight are the following:

1)According to the handbook provided in the room, guests of Le Moana would have access to all of the amenities of the sister InterContinental property in Bora Bora, the InterContinental Resort & Thalasso Spa. We approached the concierge at Le Moana and asked him to make a reservation for us at the Le Reef restaurant in the Thalasso property. He looked at us and without even calling to check told us that the restaurant was full and no more reservations could be made. I went back to my room and called the concierge at the Thalasso on my own, who without question made a reservation for me at the restaurant for 7 PM. When my wife and I arrived, we were one of no more than ten couples eating at the restaurant which seemingly has a capacity for well over 100 guests (the seating stretches all the way from the patio out to the lagoon!). We still do not understand why we were told that the restaurant was full.

The disturbing part, however, is that earlier that very day we spent about 450 USD for spa treatments at the Thalasso hotel; therefore, I don’t know why it is so hard to get a dinner reservation.

2)When we were preparing to leave Le Moana on August 11, my wife went into the bathroom and as unable to find her headband (which, incidentally, was incredibly hard to find and comes from a designer store where we live in New York City.) Although I believed her since she is an extremely organized person, we scoured the room from top to bottom. When we could not find it, I called the front desk and asked the manager if she could call whoever turned down our room the night before and find out if he or she placed it anywhere; since I did not want to accuse anybody of stealing anything, I believed this diplomatic approach was the best. It wasn’t five minutes later when my wife noticed that one hairbrush she had not used thus far on the vacation was removed from her toiletry bag, placed on the counter and had globs of long, black hair in it! The hair certainly wasn’t my wife’s since hers is blonde. We immediately went to the font desk and reported the problem to the manager. After 45 minutes, the manager returned with a new hairbrush for my wife as well as an adjustment of our bill for one lunch that we ate at the hotel. This type of compensation is completely inappropriate for the level of trust that has been lost in the InterContinental hotel chain. At the nearly 1,000 USD price charged per night for an over-water bungalow, there is no reason for us to think that our personal property is in jeopardy of being used and stolen. We felt completely violated and are unsure of what else was used while we were not in our room. I was compensated by the manager in the form of a credit of roughly 3800 XPF for my troubles, which equates to a 42 USD lunch. This hardly buys back my trust.

3)My wife and I, along with one other couple we met on our vacation, attended one of the Polynesian Dinner Shows at the Thalasso property. We made a reservation at Le Reef restaurant and arrived on time to be seated. Even though the restaurant was virtually empty at the time, the host placed us at the back of the restaurant where it was impossible to see the live show. When we requested to be moved to one of the dozens of unoccupied tables, the server told us that they were “reserved.” We called the manager of the restaurant over who also told us that the other tables were reserved and it was only after a series of questions that he reluctantly allowed us to move. To this very day, I am not too sure who these additional tables were reserved for since most of them remained unoccupied for the entire night. I find it shameful that I have to argue about seating at a restaurant when I am paying top dollar to stay at the InterContinental on my honeymoon.

4)During our stay at the InterContinental Resort and Spa (Moorea), I have never been so ignored by hotel staff. When waiting to by an internet pass, there were four hotel employees behind the concierge desk who ignored my wife and I. They were all talking to one another, not paying any attention to us as we patiently stood in an empty line waiting for their assistance. After about five minutes, we walked up to the desk and they continued to ignore us. After I interrupted them, they told us to wait. After another five minutes, we walked away. This was one of a few instances where I stood in line and waited for the hotel staff who were consistently unresponsive to us. On our first night, we even waited an hour and a half for an ice bucket!

5)Upon checkout, we asked the concierge if we could use a transit room to shower and change before our plane ride. They assigned us Transit Room 3. Upon entering this room, we were overcome with an incredibly strong stench of mildew. Only one of the lights worked, there was mold growing on the wall and the room was completely unsanitary. When I went back to the front desk, they called housekeeping to clean the room; it seemed to me, however, that housekeeping wasn’t the problem here. I had to ask the front desk staff repeatedly to assign me one of the other transit rooms which were available. It was only after housekeeping was allowed to inspect the Transit room when the staff believed us and assigned us another room.

Upon our return to the United States, my wife and I stayed at the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles as well as the Fairmont Copley in Boston before returning to New York. I must say that at a fraction of the price, the service at these hotels was significantly better than that of the InterContinental hotels in French Polynesia. The staff at these properties were overly helpful and paid attention to every detail of our accommodations when we stayed at the hotel. We were even able to get a same-day reservation at Bar Marmont at our hotel, which is one of the most trendy and popular bar scenes in Los Angeles. These hotels stopped at nothing to make sure we were satisfied with our stay. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the InterContinental properties.

I hope that this letter will make you aware of some of the difficulties that the InterContinental hotels in French Polynesia are facing. My wife and I flew about 16 hours to spend outrageous sums of money at two InterContinental hotels and feel that we were completely let down given the five-star ranking and reputation of these properties. We know that things are more expensive in French Polynesia, but had hoped that the attentiveness of the staff, the customer service and level of pampering would justify such exorbitant prices. I can truly say that I am thoroughly disappointed in my experience which I was so eagerly looking forward to. I hope that something can be done about this and that my relationship with your hotel will be improved as a result of this letter.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
24 Thank NoRingFriday
Minneapolis
Reviewed 1 August 2007

Returned from a five day, four night stay at the Le Moana in one of the overwater cabins. Accomodations were very well appointed, roomy, clean and well maintained. The staff, from the wait staff, housekeeping, maintenance, beach were outstanding. They were exceedingly friendly, couteous and could not do enough to help you out. Grounds were immaculate and well laid out. This is not a place for entertainment and planned activities, just quiet and lay back. Only problem was the cost of everthing but this is Polynesia and everything is expensive there. The food was good, with an ample selection for all tastes. Guess you could say we really loved the place.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard152
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2007

This review will be short and sweet. This hotel is simply incredible. From the resort,to the service, it was perfect. We stayed in the overwater bunglow and the room was spacious, comfortable, and room service was brought to us in from the water. The resort was full, but yet you had a feeling as if you were alone with your couple. If you have any questions, please contact me but all I can say is if I could, I would go back every other week. WE LOVED IT!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2007

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending 7 nights at this resort in June 2007.

We were met at the airport, and the staff transported us to our hotel. The boat ride was a great introduction to the island as we wizzed past all the other resorts.

When we arrived at the resort we were given a cold drink and the staff showed us around the resort and then onto our room. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an overwater bungalow and this began seven days of relaxing, swimming and enjoying the gorgeous weather.

I thought our bungalow was very clean (having just stayed at the Radisson at Tahiti the difference was very noticeable - lets just say the Radisson needs to improve!) and the little things made an impression on us, like the fruit platter and champagne they delivered to us and the cold ice brought to our room for drinks everyday. I also loved that they changed our sheets every day and did a very thorough clean, leaving fresh flowers around our room. You know it's the kind of life you dream about at home - it's nice to be spoilt when you are on holidays!

We managed to sit outside and relax on our balcony or snorkel around the lagoon. Not much coral is left around where the bungalows are, but if you take care not to step on them, you can still do a bit of snorkelling. Due to windy weather on the day's we were free we didn't manage to get to snorkel at Coral Gardens nearby but we did lots of that on our day trips.

What we liked most about this resort was how welcome the staff made you feel, everyone says hello and smiles and this makes such a big difference to other hotels I've stayed at - they were also willing to make sure we had a great holiday and treated us really well.

Overall it was very chilled out. The included dinner and breakfasts were great, and being able to go over to the Thalasso resort and use their restaurants and pool meant that we felt that we weren't stuck at our resort. This is a definite bonus of staying at this hotel and the courtesy boat ride over was great.

This hotel has a more traditional decor, after visiting the Thalasso, which we thought was very impressive - we though the atmosphere at Le Moana was just more laid back and welcoming. I'm sure I would have had just as good a time at the Thalasso, because lets face it if you can't have a great time in Bora Bora, I'm not sure what would make you happy!

If you are single, this is not the resort for you, unless you want a holiday to be alone - everyone sort of keeps to themselves (but not in a rude way, I think finally couples get a chance to enjoy eachother away from work and home) and I appreciated my chance to relax in privacy with my partner.

We did the Jet Boat and swam with the rays which was brave for us Australians I tell you, but it was fine - they guys who run the trip were great fun. I also tried an introductory dive too. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not a diver or I was in the wrong area, but I didn't find the coral as colourful as the Great Barrier Reef - maybe because of El Nino? This of course didn't matter, seeing the beautiful water and fish was great.

I took the advice from this site about what to bring with me - I bough my ipod and speakers with an adaptor which was great cause we had our favourite music, I brought some wine duty free and snacks (these came in very handy - although there is a snack shop a walking distance from the resort - once you start relaxing you may not feel like finding it), we also brought our own snorkels (you can get flippers from the staff) you'll find a list of other helpful stuff to bring in the forums but I used all of it and was grateful not to feel I was missing anything.

We also hired bikes and went into the main town, I haven't been on a bike for years but it was totally fine (a bit sore later but nothing major!) and enjoyed a yummy crepe and looked around the few shops, the view as you ride along of the water is great.

I've travelled to many countries and lived overseas and I can say I've never had such a great holiday, it was short but brilliant. The weather, the people, the atmosphere was all so much more than what I expected. I have to say that the hype about Bora Bora is justified, it is gorgeous. I left wishing I could stay and dreaming of when I could come back!

• Liked — Great service, & relaxed vibe plus the partnership between the Intercontinental Thalasso
  • Disliked — Don't make me say something negative! I can't!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank Sitsa
New York
Reviewed 17 January 2007

I spent 8 days in Bora Bora (4 at the La Moana Bora Bora and 4 at the Thalaso Spa) early January 2007.

First, the location is amazing. The rooms are great and people are wonderful. Be aware that this is a location for couples only. If you go to party, you will be bored.

As I arrived at the Bora Bora airport, I was greeted by the Intercontinental staff and provided all the information needed for a smooth check in. When I arrived at the resort, I was greeted with a smile and a cold drink. The check in process was smooth and I received an upgrade from a beach bungalow to an over water villa (I believe it’s because they had it available and I’m a platinum pc member).

The over water villas are absolutely gorgeous. The bathrooms were very clean and greatly appointed. I was however slightly disappointed that one of the faucets seems to be malfunctioning and one of the bathroom sink was slightly clogged.

The bedroom was well appointed and the beds were comfortable. The best feature of the resort is the ability to walk out of your patio and settle in to the most beautiful lagoon anywhere.

Bring your own DVD’s (the free DVD offerings at the resort are pretty lame). I also suggest picking up a couple of bottles of wine at the duty free shop, for you to enjoy in your room. Everything is very expensive in Bora Bora and a bottle of wine will be great to enjoy on the patio.

There are plenty of beautiful fishes swimming around and you are able to feed them while inside your villa, through a cutout in the living room floor.

The food at the resort is pretty expensive (averaged around $60 for breakfast and $215 for dinner every night-per couple). I suggest going in to town for snacks and drinks. You can take a taxi from the resort for $8 round trip.

If you are only staying at the Le Moana, definitely take the free boat taxi to the Intercontinental Thalaso for dinner. They have better food and excellent buffets. Call them up in advance and you can find out what the theme for the night is.

Make friends with the bartenders and don’t miss the happy hour where the drink prices don’t seem so obscene.

DO go to Bloody Mary’s for dinner at least one night. It’s a little gimmicky but the food was pretty good. This going out activity will give you a change in pace as well.

I have hundreds of pics of every part of the resort and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

There are plenty of activities to do on the island but is pricy. Overall, what an experience! There are very few, if any, islands that will even come close to Bora Bora. I'll be writing a review of the Intercontinental Thalaso Spa as well shortly.

Stayed January 2007