“Amazing honeymoon...couldn't have asked for more!”

InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 12 July 2009

The IC Le Moana was amazing. We arrived and had a boat waiting to pick us up, had a beautiful trip over to the hotel through the lagoon. We were quickly greeted and taken to our bungalow. We paid a little extra for a horizon OWB at the advice of my travel agent. It was very much worth it, a small amount of money to guarantee you don't have a bungalow facing the beach. Especially important for us, as we spent 90+% of our time laying out on our bungalow porch. We had bungalow 19, it faced the Sofitel island and Raitea and Huahine, two islands off in the distance. One day we took a kayak across to the coral gardens, a great snorkeling experience. We did Bloody Marys, a definite must do! The activity that we loved the most was the Aquasafari or the underwater helment dive. You walk around 10' underwater and feed stingrays and such on the bottom of the lagoon. Walk over to Matira beach, good places for lunch, including Matira Beach Restaurant. Also, we really enjoyed this hotel's location because we weren't on a Motu, we enjoyed walking to the local supermarket to pick up snacks and fruit juice. We bought rum in duty free at LAX and used that for our drinks...much better than having to walk from the bungalow to the beach bar and much cheaper than $15-20/drink. We could also walk somwhere for lunch if we wanted to, I would hate to have to take a boat to the main island, then get a couple bags of stuff...then have to lug it all the way back. Anyways, just a flat out amazing trip...cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KGlonghorn

Reviewed 25 June 2009

After a very long process of finding the best honeymoon destination and holiday resort, we decided on Intercontinental Le Moan, Bora Bora. Through out the whole wedding process this honeymoon was what we looked forward to.

IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!

We stayed in Bugalow #28 the (furthest one) - it's worth spending the extra dollars for the seclusion. We were immediately presented with gifts from the hotel. The service is impeccable. We would come back from our buffet breakfast and find our rooms made. Do try out local restaurant around the area, don't feel obliged to stay and eat in the resort. You must try the Polynesian buffet at least once - no need to go more than once.

That's the advantage of this resort, it's attached to the mainland so you are given choices to go up to town or go around for either food or pearl purchases. The resort organises shuttle buses for you. Do try Bloody Mary’s for a different culinary experience ☺

My husband and are still have dreams about this place. We spent a lot of our time looking at the start at night or watching the sunset/sunrise on the over water veranda. We also made alot of nice people.

I just can't rave enough about this place. Starting from service to overall culture of the place - i preferred it more than it's sister resort the Thalasso. Le Moana has a Polynesian feel to it.

Hopefully we will return one day *sigh*

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nparvez
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This hotel is a charmer. It is not nearly as big or "see and be seen" as it's newer brother the Thalasso, but we liked this hotel far better. The location is key as it is not on the private Motu. If you want to do any excursions, you have to take a boat ride from the Thalasso to the Le Moana, then take one back afterwards. If you pay for the Le Moana, you can use all the facilities at Thalasso any time you want. The service was fabulous and the location is best in Bora Bora. You could walk to places, easy to get to places for dinner, and it's location on the lagoon had by far the best snorkeling options. This place was heaven on earth. As with all the Intercontinental hotels in French Polynesia, the kayaks and snorkeling equipment was free. Yes, the hotel does have a coffee table that slides open so you can see the fish underneath. The cool thing is that they put coral directly underneath your bungalow so there are always fish around. FYI, there is nothing to do after hours in Bora Bora, so you might as well enjoy where you are staying. This place is honeymoon central.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jase700
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We honeymooned in Moorea for 5 days and then went to Bora Bora for 7 days(May 3-May 15) The flight from Moorea to Bora Bora was great - fast and simple. I asked the flight attendant when boarding which side of the plane should I sit to get the best views as we arrived into BB. She said left. I have never seen anything more beautiful than what I saw that day. It felt so unreal and like I was dreaming. I'll try to post some pictures.
We arrived in Bora Bora and there were reps from our resort waiting for us and we quickly hopped on a boat taxi to take us to our resort. We get there and someone is waiting again to greet us. They take us in for the registration and we get the cold towels and fruit drink and leis again :) The woman took us for a tour of the resort which was small compared to the Sofitel in Moorea but beautiful. Soon we were escorted to our overwater bungalow...#21! It was beautiful....just perfect. There was a comfy couch w/ the see through coffee table and a desk. Then there was the bedroom w/ a huge bed and big window to look out when laying in bed. The bathrom was so nice...2 sinks, a huge tub, an open shower(no curtain) and then a closed in toilet. The deck was awesome. We spent much of our time there on the deck either sun bathing or feeding the fish. The rooms also have a DVD player. First thing we noticed after getting settled and jumping in the water was that there was less coral and structure in the water than in Moorea and that there was not a lot of fish at all. We spoke to other couples and they agreed that the snorkeling was not up to Moorea's standards. We had use of the kayaks for free so we tried a double but it was a lot of work and not as much fun hahaha! So we did n't do that anymore. We did go deep sea fishing and caught nothing...we used Luna Sea...the captain was great, very knowledgeable and funny. However, I was sea sick for 3 of the 4 hours of the trip.
We also rented a jet ski and the tour operator took us all over the lagoon and around the mountain. He took us to his family's island and cut down coconuts and tried fresh coconut and the juice. It was really awesome. Another day we did the jeep safari tour which was a lot of fun and we went to great look out spots! We saw old WWII cannons and bunkers. Make sure you bring sneakers for that activity. Another day we walked to the sofitel bora bora and it was also a very beautiful hotel...about 15 min walk from ours. Included in our package was a custom massage at the Intercontinental Thalasso. So we took the taxi over there. The spa was amazing.....we loved it so much - well worth the experience - we're figured its our honeymoon we're doing it all! The thalasso was much different then the LeMoana. It was a very modern and art deco type of a place. I didn't like it as much as teh polynesian feel resorts. Also the service at the Thalasso was so bad.....very inattentive to you. We had dinner and drinks there one night. Also part of our package was the canoe breakfast delivered to our bungalow. Wow that was the coolest thing....they brought everything and set our deck table up and even offered to take our picture. The people here were also very nice and incredibly accomodating. I loved how every night we'd get back to our bungalow and there would be treating waiting for us...brownies, muffins, and fruit one time. And the night before checkout they left us a not saying we could keep our room until 4 instead of 11am since our flight was at 6:15. Our second to the last day my hubby and I got tattoos from Maramar, who is famous on Bora Bora for his free hand tattoos. He did an amazing job on both of us.
The polynesian show at the resort on Saturday nights is great - very entertaining! Worth seeing. We went to Bloody Mary's two nights actually....we liked it so much. They pick you up and drop you off...its so convenient. The food was great!!!!
Another must do is Villa Mahana. This place is very very expensive but truely a once in a lifetime experience. We just loved it!!! It is so romantic and quaint and comfortable. I could go on but my fingers hurt. ;) This was such an amazing, truly relaxing, peaceful vacation i've ever taken. THere is no place on earth that could compete w/ this place. I honestly cried when we had to get on the boat taxi to take us to the airport. I loved it there and felt at home. The weather was perfect...it rained one day for 5 mins. Beautiful trade winds and gorgeous skies. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cat7475
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I've been back from Bora Bora for over a month and thought it was finally time for a review! We picked Le Moana for a couple of reasons and I'm so glad we did. I think a very important thing to know is the type of traveller you are. I know I wanted beauty and comfort without a huge resort and the big costs associated with it. The new hotels out on the motus are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but Le Moana is gorgeous as well and felt a little more relaxed to me. I didn't want to deal with the water taxis and waiting around for all that. Le Moana totally fit the bill. We had a great time with few complaints, only one in fact. The staff was fantastic and everyone knew us by the second day. The breakfast was nice, certain things I loved while others were so-so but there was enough variety to get me through the week. My husband had made to order omelettes almost everyday. Plenty of fruit, cereal, bread and my personal favorite, chocolate croissants. Mmmmmm. We only ate dinner there once and that meal left a bit to be desired. In their defense, it was a buffet/dinner show so I didn't expect too much. The entertainment was enough for me. When those girls start shaking their hips, I am always amazed.

Our room (OWB17) was wonderful. I know some people complain about the age of the property, but I was more than content. If you want brand new and perfect then don't stay here. If you want a more traditional polynesian feel, near local restaurants and markets, then this is your place. An added plus is that they seem to like us better. We had wonderful service and very generous and friendly interactions with the locals. I got the feeling they do not appreciate the motu resorts too much. It makes sense as the patrons are out on the motus, spending their money at the resorts and not really spreading it around as much locally. I'm sure other people have had different experiences but this was ours. Bottom line is know what kind of experience you want. You don't have to have the Four Seasons to have a great trip. Le Moana will make you very happy for a lot less money!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KCHULL
Reviewed 11 May 2009

The La Moana is a good resort for a base in exploring Bora Bora. The hotel is a ideal spot for a couple wanting to be alone spending time together. The occupancy was much higher than other properties that we saw. This was probably due to La Moana being less expensive. Since the property is located on the island as opposed to a motu; the access to local restaurants is so easy. The hotel is rather pricey compared to the local restaurants. We ended up eating many of our meals at a local favorite: La Bounty. The French food was very good there and reasonable priced.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 660Raptor
Reviewed 9 May 2009

After very careful analysis of all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, we chose an over-the-water bungalow (owb) at this hotel and, after seeing many of the other hotels on Bora Bora, we think we made the right decision. First, we chose not to stay at any of the hotels on the motus, because we like to tour around any area we are staying in, and we like to go to the local restaurants. When you are on a motu, neither of those activities is easily done, as you have to rely on the hotel's boat to get you on to the island (and the boats go only at specified times, and take 15-25 minutes to get to the island).

Second, of the hotels we saw on the island, the Intercontinental looked the nicest to us - clean, modern, well-located, etc. We particularly liked the fact that the Intercontinental, unlike most of the other hotels on Bora Bora, is not on the main road; but is, instead, on a peninsula.

Third, we took our travel agent's advice and stayed in an over-the-water bungalow in only one of the hotels we stayed at in Tahiti (we also "did" Moorea and Papeete). We think this was good advice as the owb experience only goes so far; and Bora Bora had clearly the nicest owb's we saw on the three islands.

Our only complaint with the Intercontinental was that they had a sign up inviting all guests to the hotel bar for a drink and piece of pie (between something like 4:30 and 5:30). The wording was such that we expected a free drink and free piece of pie, as is common in many resorts. Instead, the drinks were all exhorbitantly priced, and the staff in the bar had never heard of the offer of pie. Indeed, it was clear that they did not recognise either the word "pie" nor its French equivalent "tarte." Apparently, the staff spoke neither English nor French! When I complained to the manager, he agreed that their sign was very misleadingly worded. But he clearly saw no need to change it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple