“Amazing location, great resort!”

InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 17 January 2007

I spent 8 days in Bora Bora (4 at the La Moana Bora Bora and 4 at the Thalaso Spa) early January 2007.

First, the location is amazing. The rooms are great and people are wonderful. Be aware that this is a location for couples only. If you go to party, you will be bored.

As I arrived at the Bora Bora airport, I was greeted by the Intercontinental staff and provided all the information needed for a smooth check in. When I arrived at the resort, I was greeted with a smile and a cold drink. The check in process was smooth and I received an upgrade from a beach bungalow to an over water villa (I believe it’s because they had it available and I’m a platinum pc member).

The over water villas are absolutely gorgeous. The bathrooms were very clean and greatly appointed. I was however slightly disappointed that one of the faucets seems to be malfunctioning and one of the bathroom sink was slightly clogged.

The bedroom was well appointed and the beds were comfortable. The best feature of the resort is the ability to walk out of your patio and settle in to the most beautiful lagoon anywhere.

Bring your own DVD’s (the free DVD offerings at the resort are pretty lame). I also suggest picking up a couple of bottles of wine at the duty free shop, for you to enjoy in your room. Everything is very expensive in Bora Bora and a bottle of wine will be great to enjoy on the patio.

There are plenty of beautiful fishes swimming around and you are able to feed them while inside your villa, through a cutout in the living room floor.

The food at the resort is pretty expensive (averaged around $60 for breakfast and $215 for dinner every night-per couple). I suggest going in to town for snacks and drinks. You can take a taxi from the resort for $8 round trip.

If you are only staying at the Le Moana, definitely take the free boat taxi to the Intercontinental Thalaso for dinner. They have better food and excellent buffets. Call them up in advance and you can find out what the theme for the night is.

Make friends with the bartenders and don’t miss the happy hour where the drink prices don’t seem so obscene.

DO go to Bloody Mary’s for dinner at least one night. It’s a little gimmicky but the food was pretty good. This going out activity will give you a change in pace as well.

I have hundreds of pics of every part of the resort and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

There are plenty of activities to do on the island but is pricy. Overall, what an experience! There are very few, if any, islands that will even come close to Bora Bora. I'll be writing a review of the Intercontinental Thalaso Spa as well shortly.

Stayed: January 2007
26  Thank user7

Reviewed 13 January 2007

I spent 6 nights at the Intercontinental Le Moana in Nov 2006. Just so you get my perspective, I am 30 years old and live in Chicago. Went with my blushing bride.

Did alot of internet research prior to choosing a hotel. We ended up staying in a Horizon bungalow, actually the last one on the pier so we had a totally unobstructed view of the ocean. The bungalow was spotless, beautiful and pretty much perfect in every way except there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. My wife wished that she brought her own soap and shampoo though. I thought it was fine. The tub is not big enough to fit two people, unless they are both really small.

I have been to alot of beautiful, tropical places but this one takes the cake. As far as natural beauty and solitude and a nice romantic vacation, this hotel was perfect.

The food was expensive, but food is expensive everywhere in french polynesia. We had the breakfast and dinner meal plan which I highly recommend. They have a breakfast/lunch/dinner plan too, but you can really eat alot of breakfast and skip lunch. The food is fantastic, as long as you like seafood. They have chicken and steak too, but go with the seafood.

Drinks are not included in the meal plan and again are expensive. I would recommend to bring a couple bottles of liquor or wine from home if you plan to drink and just enjoy them on the deck of your bungalow. There is a store thats about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. They sell beer for about 2 bucks a can, beer is 4 or 5 bucks each at the hotel. You can drink the water from the taps in your bungalow which is nice cause bottled water is expensive too.

There are some small roadside eateries and restaraunts that are a 2-3 minute walk from the hotel. You have to walk along the side of the road so bring shoes. The food there is just a little bit cheaper than at the hotel, maybe 15-20% less. There is really no place to get cheap food anywhere in french polynesia. An order of fries will run you anywhere from 5-10 bucks regardless of whether you are at a roadside dive or at your resort.

So go with the meal plan, it seems expensive when you book it, but it really pays off later on.

The resort itself is not too big or fancy, most of it is just the bungalows. There is a small reception area, a little boutique store, a pearl shop, a bar and 2 restaraunts. The pool was under construction while we were there. I was expecting something more like a cancun resort, with a huge pool deck, lots of bars, huge beach, etc. It's not really like that. I think the point of the resort is just to be in your bungalow and come out to eat at the restaraunt.

There is a beach that you can walk along, its not too wide or too long. There are alot of beach chairs out there but I hardly ever saw anybody on the beach. I think most people go out on excursions all day long. You can get a kayak for free on the beach and paddle around, which is nice.

Anyway, theres really no reason to sit on the beach as you can loung in the privacy of the deck of your bungalow. THere are lounge chairs, regular chairs, a table and a shower. You can snorkel right off your deck. The water is about 3 or 4 feet deep, even about a quarter mile off the beach. No waves at all.

This resort has a more quiet, tropical, romantic vibe. If you are looking for more of a fancy, swanky, luxury type place try the other intercontinental property called the Thalasso. We went over there a few times. There is a free boat shuttle every 30 min during the day. It's newer and has a much larger property with more stuff to do. You can eat there on your meal plan inseatd of at the Moana, and use their pool and beach too. I would still rather stay at the Le Moana, though. The view is nicer. You can only see the lagoon from the thalasso but can see the ocean from le moana, thus the name.

As far as excursions, the jeep safari was far more interesting than i thought it was going to be. They take you up the side of a mountain on dirt trails that are really bumpy to a nice lookout point and also take you all the way around bora bora on the road and point out things of interest. You will be sore after this trip. It's rugged going up that mountain. But definately worth it.

The stingray/shark feeding tour sounded like a bad idea but we did it anyway. You don't have to get in the water with the stingrays. The sharks are small and harmless. The best part of this tour was they take you out to the junction of the lagoon and the ocean where the coral reef is. You can snorkel over the reef. It is very colorful with huge coral formations and lots of fish. They will probably film you while you are in the water with the stingrays and sharks and take some underwater footage of you snokeling and the reef and all. They will sell a DVD of the trip to you for a about 150 dollars. Again, seemed expensive at the time but I am glad that I bought it now. They also take video of the island and the ocean and your resort and you in the boat so its a nice memory.

Bloody Mary's had the best fish I ever had in my life. Nice place to take pictures too. Strangely enough, the bloody marys there are really, really bad. Recommend you get something else to drink there.

Things I would do differently next time:

1. I would not do the the seafood buffet w/ polynesian show on Saturday night, I booked this cause it sounded like it would be fantastic. It is expensive, and the food that night is not as good as it is on regular nights. The show was OK, not as good as the shows in Hawaii. Save that money and go to Bloody Mary's. You cant get dinner at the hotel that night unless you eat at the buffet and watch the show, I think it was 150 dollars each or something like that.

2. I would have brought some drinks from home. Maybe some snack food too.

3. Bring a few music CD's or DVD's from home. The rooms have CD/DVD players. I did not think that I would ever watch TV there, but there were times when I wanted to just veg out on the bed and watch something, and there are not too many options, just local channels and CNN international. You can get some free DVD movies at the hotel boutique, but the selection is very limited.

4. My wife would have brought her own soap and shampoo.

5. There is no reason to go and see Viatape unless you you have nothing to do one afternoon. There are 2 banks, a small cruise port with typical souvenir shops and a bunch of tourist trap shops on the street. The whole place is about 1 city block long. There is a small grocery store though, but food and drinks are not cheap there either.

6. Would not do the pearl farm stuff, unless you want to buy a pearl. I felt like it was a waste of time and a high pressure sales type experience. I did get a free beer though.

In conclusion:

1. get the meal plan.
2. only stay in a Horizon bungalow. the lagoon ones face the beach and the view is not that great. drop the extra cash and get the whole experience. The best and most memorable part of this trip was the view from the deck of the horizon bungalow.
3. bring your own alcohol.
4. dont worry about insects here. there are none. if you go to moorea you might get eaten alive though, so bring repellant if you go there.
5. dont waste time in Viatape.
6. if you want a really swanky, luxury experience or if you are taking small children with you you might have more fun in the thallaso.

For me and my wife though, le moana was absolutely perfect.

Good luck and mauruuru

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
43  Thank Maruuru
Reviewed 16 November 2006

As you have read in the reviews below this one, visiting Bora Bora can be a wonderful experience. The nature and surrounding in that island are surreal. Let me warn you of some of the experiences we had when we were there for four days during the early month of November of 2006. The value of your dollar means nothing to the hotel Intercontinental Beachcomber Resort. We had a woman giving us a tour of the hotel who was probably having a bad day, she was probably Polynesian; she had dark skin and long black hair. She didn’t like it if we had any questions. When my husband gave her a seven dollar tip (for the little tour she gave us of the hotel) she said, “I guess you want me to buy some cookies for lunch with this”, I hope she meant well, but she sounded so rude. I advice not to give tips, it’s not expected. This woman also told us: “You do not have the right to use the refrigerator, it belongs to the hotel and you are not allowed to put your own drinks.” What I did is get a lot of ice cubes from their location (it’s free) and filled up one of the bathroom sinks with it; it kept my drinks cold. The food at the restaurant is terrible, and very expensive, I have read in other reviews that people get sick after eating their food, for that reason, I brought with me can food, snacks and lots of water, enough to get me by for a couple of days. There is a little supermarket where you can buy your drinks, and food. There is also a pharmacy but I highly recommend bringing your own in case you might get sick. In downtown Bora Bora everything is expensive but it’s cheaper than the hotel.

Lets get back to what a I didn’t like about the hotel, Intercontinental Beachcomber Resort: the shower floor was very nasty, it had mildew and all kinds of living bacteria since the hotel doesn’t require the cleaning staff to scrub it with soap. The bath tub looked very clean, but not the shower. I will recommend you to bring what ever kind of sandals or flip flaps before you step in. The toilet area looks fine but again the floor looks very dirty. I always had towels on the floor so that I can step in. You can ask for additional towels as many as you need.

The wooden floor in the bungalows never gets clean, my assumption is that if you walk with your socks on, you contribute on making the floors look cleaner. Do not look under the bed; it’s full with dust that has been sitting there for several months.

In general the cleaning standards of the Intercontinental Beachcomber Resort are very low. When it comes to charging you they are very good at taking your money. For that reason, I recommend that you help them give you what you paid for, my husband and I, we got $160 dollars off the bill - the shower drain was plugged for two days, we kept calling the front desk until they managed to fix it. On our last day we asked for a compensation for the problem in the shower and they give us one free dinner and $100 dollar credit. I hope you get more credit than us. We paid approximately $750 per night, and it didn’t feel worth it, and at the same time it was the best price deal we could get. We saw other bungalows that are a few miles away walking distance from us, and they looked terrible. At least Intercontinental has a beautiful location and it looks much more expensive than the other resorts.

There are no mosquitoes or insects near the resort, not one. You don’t have to worry about them once you get there, only when you arrive to the airport. Highly recommend you protect yourself from the mosquitoes at the airport. I hope these recommendations are helpful to you; they are base on my experience. Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Stayed: November 2006
15  Thank Linda36
Reviewed 21 June 2006

We were some of the first guests to arrive since the reopening of the hotel and we wished we had stayed here the whole time in French Polynesia. We are very picky about hotels and we felt this was the best location and value in Bora Bora. The staff was very pampering and the attention to detail was phenomenal. The views were incredible and the location perfect where we had a great view of the main island peak, sunrise, and across the street we had the sunset in the evenings. You couldn't ask for a better hotel on Bora Bora if you're looking to be pampered, get more individual attention and desire a quaint/exclusive atmosphere.

Even though some of the overwater bungalows have not been completed as of June 18th, 2006, it was not a problem and didn't hinder the excellence we expect when staying at a high-end hotel in Bora Bora.

We went to some of the other hotels to have a look and they were either in an undesirable location for us or were too large and generic for what were looking for. We'll definitely be back to the Le Moana Intercontinental!

• Stayed: June 2006
23  Thank surfnkiwi
Reviewed 5 October 2005

Normaly we booked the interconti moorea and afterwards the meridien bora bora. But the interconti beachcomber moorea was so bad , so absolutly bad , we decided to ask if they can change our reservation from moorea to bora bora what they did !!

It was like arriving in heaven ! We had a beach bungalow wich was far away beautyfull ! The whole resort was excellent , you must stay here for a while !

Go take a cajak in the evening , paddle around the tip of the island to enjoy a romantic very private sunset !!!

Here you find what you expect from french polynesia

The meridien is also very pretty , look at my review there...

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank Mike1975
A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, MI
Reviewed 20 September 2005

First things first, the Beachcomber is expensive, very expensive and the meals there are outrageously priced as well. The question is, do you get an experience commensurate with your travel dollar invested ? Sort of. The Beachcomber is constructed on a narrow slice of land between much more crowded, downmarket resorts so you never have the sense of tropical aloneness, it is more akin to being on a premium slot in a crowded "beach suburb". Unless you pay for the top of the line bungalows at the end of the piers you will feel tightly crowded between palm thatched boxes set up on concrete stilts above the exquisitely clear blue waters of Bora. Intercontintal does deserve praise for making a low environmental impact. The electrical/water/waste infrastructure is supurbly engineered so the guests are blissfully unaware of the gurgling innards of the hotel organism. The rooms are clean, well appointed, and miraculously, the CD and DVD players are very modern and actually work. The beach itself is blindingly white pure sand and the atoll floor falls gently away, affording a safe and fun environment for snorkling, splashing, sailing. Pale skinned northern european types must be warned that the UV at this location is intense, unless you are already well tanned you will sunburn though SPF 45 sunblock. First rate sunglasses and a broad brimmed had are pretty much mandatory. Bora Bora itself offers practically nothing other than tourism so there is nothing to do but enjoy the scenery, eat at the local restaurants, or go scuba diving. You are isolated here, about an hour's flight from Tahiti proper, and there's nooooothing to do. If you are in need of total relaxation from a stressed out city job a week in Bora at the beachcomber might be just the ticket for getting your blood pressure down and your groove back. Imperfect that the Beachcomber might be, rest assured that most places on the island are decidedly worse, ranging from the overcrowed to the seriouly unappealing. The Beachcomber gives you an excellent bed, clean linen, a well managed staff and not too much population density of other tourists to step over and around. one should also note that the Beachcomber crowd is quiet, respectful, and well behaved, there is no intoxicated singles scene or late night carousing here, best described as quietly adult romantic. One negative, although not terribly negative, is that the food is generally not that good and the service slow, regardless of being frightfully expensive. Almost everything I had was overcooked to the point that it had no life or undercooked to the point of rawness. With meat dishes that was a NOT good thing. Sometimes they would have a most deicious item, such as perfectly roasted grass fed new zealand beef, other times half cooked grilled chicken or very oily pots of rice vegetable concoctions on would spoon out of large Staub cast iron pots. This consistent inconsistency in meal preparation and the slow table service was simply not up to the standard one would expect from this establishment. This really does detract from the whole experience as dinner is much more part of the whole resort experience, given how little else there is to do and the slow pace of life on the island. Of course, one could sip out and hit the other local restaurants, although having a rental car is a must. You can rent cars, as well as these upscaled go-karts they call cabriolets to putter around Bora. Also be advised that there is very minimal internet connectivity, only one common terminal in the activites director's office, no individual high speed connections unless they have recently upgraded. The phones in the rooms are excellent however and international calling is a breeze and reasonably priced too. Generally speaking, Bora is an the brink of resort overdevelopment and with the arrival of direct New York-Tahiti flights the congestion is bound to increase significantly. It felt like if any more resort complexes were to appear the entire area would take on the feel of one great resortland. Go for the clear water, the beautiful fish, the blinding sun, don't go for the food or the privacy. it ain't there.

• Stayed: January 2005
35  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 August 2005

We stayed at this hotel in June in an OWB. It was like heaven. Everyone was pleasant, courteous and helpful. The food was excellent and the rooms were immaculate. The views are great. Location was good also, as it's in walking distance to other restaurants and shops.
We thought this hotel was well managed, and the whole staff excellent.
Can't say enough good about the ICB Bora Bora.
The boat ride alone from the airport to the hotel is a trip in itself. Seeing all the different hues in the water and passing Mt. Otemanu. Breathtaking!

• Stayed: June 2005