“Perfect 30th Birthday”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed in an overwater bungalow with gorgeous views over the lagoon and to the mountains. The bungalow was spacious. The service was amazing. The food was delicious. The massages were too expensive. Hammocks on the beach. Sting rays to feed at the waters edge. Afternoon lessons on how to make hand bags from palm leaves. Evening time fire shows. Free water treatments in the spa area.

Room Tip: Pay for a bungalow.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Claudia P
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Claudia, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

We thank you so much for taking time to share such a magnificent review of your recent stay with us!

We are happy you liked the location of your bungalow. The beauty of turquoise lagoon blends perfectly with the mountains. It is absolutely breathtaking!

Usually our guests do not say that massages at Deep Ocean Spa are too expensive. But it is because they get amazing treatments inside...

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to beautiful Bora Bora.

Sunny Regards,

InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,421)

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This place is paradise. Food and service are excellent. It is expensive, but you are not coming here for value - you are coming here for heaven on earth!

The hotel is on the motu, away from the main island so most restaurants are a boat ride away. In the evening this costs 1700 cfp per person round trip.

The snorkeling immediately by the overwater huts is ok; if you want real coral /reefs etc plan an excursion

• Stayed: March 2014

Ia Orana,

Thank you very much for posting such a nice review!

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you loved the property.

We would be very happy to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

From start to finish our time at InterCon Thalasso was 5 star.
Check in process was quick and simple and we were shortly being driven to our over water bungalow.
Our villa was amazing - massive like an apartment. Separate lounge room, bedroom (comfy king bed looking out to the crystal clear waters) and bathroom with a nice deep tub to soak in and take in the views.
The room also had a large deck and pontoon area with shower so very easy access into the water from your villa.
Every evening my husband and I would go down to the bar for 2 for 1 cocktails before having our dinner.
The pool was average size (I wasn't fussed as I preferred the ocean anyway) but lots of lounge chairs around the pool and beach front for you to relax in.
Make sure you get to watch the sting ray feeding it's such a great experience, very educational and just amazing having these rays swim around your legs.
We also one day did the day trip into the main town, there isn't too much to do there I would only recommend it at the start of your trip if you want to stock up on snacks and drinks.
Also I would recommend joining the InterCon Ambassador club - it cost USD200 for a year and you get a free room upgrade. We had booked a Diamond and got upgraded to a Sapphire villa .... Worth the extra $200 club fees to get the upgrade as theSapphire villas have great views of Mount Otemanu.
So glad we chose to stay at the InterCon Thalasso it's one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever had the chance to stay in. Thank you to the wonderful staff who made our stay so memorable :-)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jacqui M
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

Mauruuru for sharing this beautiful review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad the "Saphir" villa has met your expectations. It is true that our villas are very spacious and offer some very special features like the glass coffee table or the private pontoon to go swimming into the lagoon.

I also had the pleasure to read that you experienced the sting ray feeding with our pool boys. It is such a great experience.

Thank you for the two beautiful pictures you shared with the TripAdvisor community.

We hope to see you soon in our resort, so we can take care of you once again.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in an over the water bungalow and it was the most amazing experience . The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well kept. We had dinner at the restaurant and food was very good. The staff was amazing!

• Stayed: February 2014
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Sasha, Greetings from Bora Bora,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa.

We are happy you liked our property. I will not miss the occasion to congratulate the gardeners on your behalf! They really care about our tropical nature. It is delightful to walk through a lush environment.

We do trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again to this beautiful island paradise of ours.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Intercontinental Thalasso Spa - While it takes some time to get there, once on the resort/spa property, you can totally relax to your content. We took a family of 4 (kids age 9 & 14) and we were able to live in #125 hut over the water with no problem. The hotel provided a trundle and sofa bed. Plenty of living space especially including the 2 outside decks.
We arrived first week of March 2014 and were lucky to get a week of no rain. We are an active family so this resort was perfect. Free paddle board and kayaks on the beach, snorkel equipment, noon pool side lessons with the "pool boy" (coconut husking, hat making, how to make local fish dish), feeding the sting rays every day at 2pm, walking trail, multiple beaches, infinity pool, billiards and ping pong.
We were concerned that this would be a honeymoon centered resort but were surprised to find a great mix of cultures and ages. We made friends with a family from Boston, a couple from Texas and a mom & daughter from Canada. There were many French speaking folks around also.
Most everyone speaks English and French and many speak Tahitian.
DO's
1. Use a travel agent - Tahiti Travel Planners, Samantha Worthen - outstanding service and able to answer all questions. We received a packet prior to travel with all itineraries and were personally greeted in Tahiti and escorted to local plane connection. She was able to help us determine if we wanted to island hop and which hotel was the most family friendly. We will use her again when heading back to south pacific.
2. Meal plan - everything is expensive and to get to other restaurants you have to hire a boat or take free shuttles to main land and hire a taxi. If you have the ability to bring snacks and WATER do so or pick these items up on a trip to town. Tip: if you use the refrig in room to store your own food/fruit and take out some of the items to make room for your food, make sure they don't charge you for those items.
3. Sunscreen & medicine - Take your own! The local sunscreen is expensive and does not block as well as USA brands. We took Benadryl cream, Benadryl tablets, thermometer, advil, Tylenol, Neosporin, Band-Aids, cortisone crème, tums and we used them ALL. Well, between us and some of our new friends who had allergic reactions to detergent or headaches from sun. Point is....come prepared because the resort store carries limited items.
4. Check passports - you can't leave if your passports expire within 3 months of your exit date. NOTE kid passports expire every 5 YEARS not every 10.
5. Activities - Check in with the concierge right away. Check the weather and book your activities. They are friendly, helpful and honest about what will and will not work for you based on weather, ages, etc.
Aqua Safari - snuba adventure - super cool,
Pur Snorkle Tour - Very informative and you get to see the entire lagoon (re apply sunscreen liberally on this tour).
Trip to Viatape - mainland main town. Good shopping

We did not use the spa facilities but understood from others it was amazing.

Overall one of our best vacations ever!

Room Tip: Ask for Hut with view of Mt. Oetumu - makes for great photos!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank KRAtlanta
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest, Ia Orana from the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa,

I trust, you and your family had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your very recent stay at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your time with us as a family. It is indeed a great experience to go kayaking on the lagoon with such a beautiful scenery.

We hope you will be back soon so you can enjoy all our activities once again. And as you heard, the Spa facilities are amazing!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

i had planned my honeymoon to bora bora and has fortunately selected intercontinental thalasso spa bora bora. the property is elite and the location is superb. the best part is though i was not able to get indian meal which obviously included indian spices in it the hotel guys tried their best to make me comfortable specially when i am an indian vegetarian. the place is truely worth a stay especially when you have a staff which is ready to make each and every occasions of yours a special occasion.

Room Tip: buy a ambassador card and you are guaranteed up gradation.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Ia Orana Rahul, Greetings from Bora Bora,

Mauruuru roa for your review. It is so nice to read you spent a wonderful time during your honeymoon.

I will personally thank the F&B Manager and his team for making you confortable during your meals. We always want the best experience possible for our guest!

We hope to see you again in Bora Bora.

Best Wishes & Sunny Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Six years ago, I travelled internationally for the first time on my honeymoon. Bora Bora spoiled me for all other locales. I didn’t think I would ever have an opportunity to return, but my husband made it happen. We waffled back and forth quite a bit on whether to return to the Thalasso, or try the St. Regis. Based on my exceptional experience at the Thalasso, we decided to return. I didn’t want to try a new hotel only to constantly compare it to the perfection that was my first trip.

We were at the Thalasso from Feb. 15, 2014 through Feb. 23, 2014. Below is my review/thoughts/tips:

• Ambassador membership: Worth it in the case of this hotel. Although we were told that an automatic upgrade does not necessarily mean a jump to the next level of rooms. It can simply mean an Emerald bungalow with a nicer view.

• Room choices: Bungalow 103 faced the lagoon and the water was the perfect level (3-4 feet.) Although it was one of the “lower end” rooms, we really liked 103. There were minimal corals in our spot and it faced the serene beach and spotless lagoon. The most recent trip we requested a series of lagoon facing Sapphire rooms on either side of the 100s and 200s (although I had a preference for the 200s since I already had been in the 100s.) Unfortunately, the room provided to us was exactly what I didn’t want. We were put into room 135 which is a Sapphire bungalow that faces the boat dock and Le Meridien. The water depth was over 6 ft. We asked to be moved and were told they would look into it since they were surprisingly packed considering it was their off season. A bit later, they let us know that there was one immediate room available, but it would cost us out-of-pocket as it was a Diamond pontoon room, one of their best in the resort. We decided to take the plunge and upgrade. Room 230 is a far walk, but has one of the best views of Otemanu. The water depth was at least 10 feet, so the color is a bit darker than closer to the beach.

• Resort Location: If you’re all about views, Thalasso has the best view of Otemanu and beautiful stretches of a clean lagoon.

Disappointments:

• Service: I hate to say it, but the service was lacking a bit more for this trip. Granted when we first went, they were only a few years old so the last several years must have taken a toll on them. With the exception of a handful of employees who were wonderful, most of the others seemed unhappier and just less genuine overall.

• Dinner reservations: For two nights in a row, I requested a different table upon arrival and there was always an uncomfortable or annoyed exchange between staff. Both times ended with them telling me that I could not switch seats as those were “reserved.” The second time I was told this, I asked if people requested specific tables when making reservations, and they said yes. If this is true, I don’t understand why this isn’t shared with guests during check-in.

• This brings me to a spotty dinner evening. The hotel was at "full capacity" so at dinner it was busy at Le Reef. I’m not sure who was in charge of taking dinner reservations and why they didn’t seem to have enough staff to take care of each table, but after 1 hour and 15 mins, we had only eaten our appetizer. It was brutal. Thankfully this was the only blip during our stay regarding dinner service.

• Activities: I never noticed or thought I would care about the size or lack of activities available. I was just happy sunbathing or swimming during the entire 6 nights of my honeymoon. But on this trip, we stayed 7 nights and combined with bad weather, we both wished there was more to do on the island. We did a jeep tour, went to Vaitape, walked along Thalasso’s trail 3-4 times, used the free gear to snorkel and kayak, etc. I have heard that the St. Regis has larger grounds, more restaurants and activities at their resort. I think if you’re the type of traveler looking for a combination of both fun activities as well as R&R, you might want to stay at the St. Regis. But don’t take my word for it since I have not been to that resort.

• Weather: Obviously not the hotel’s fault, but the two days of intense rain took a toll on us. There are very limited activities on Thalasso. Our choices were to stay locked up in our rooms, venture to the Sands restaurant, go to the spa or gym. There is only so much time you can spend in your room without going nuts. The Sands’ ambiance would not have been much better, especially if you don’t feel like eating or drinking. The spa was booked so that left the gym. I was on one of two treadmills as another couple walked into the small gym. I could feel the gentleman breathing down my back to finish up.

• Huh??: I’m not Japanese, and my husband’s last name would tell you that he isn’t either. As U.S. citizens that are ethnically Korean, we were greeted with hai or told to say sashimi when posing for a photo. Given that the hotel knows we are from the US, speak perfect English and are also checking in at the same time as another American family, it’s a bit offensive when the other family who are Caucasian are told to say cheese when posing for a picture whereas at our turn, they tell us to say sashimi. I know they did not mean to be offensive, but it is insensitive.

Extra tidbits:

• Bring an external hard-drive, laptop hook-up, anything, to connect to the TV and play movies or shows you have saved. Or just bring DVDs. The channels are few, especially English ones, so I was stuck watching CNN International or ESPN.

• I brought inner tubes and a lounger. Totally worth the space it took up in my luggage.

• I brought mosquito coils to burn while we watched movies on my laptop outside at sundown. Also a Jambox to pump up the sound and play music while you swim. We always kept the Jambox at a respectable volume as to not disturb other guests.

• WATER SHOES! Although most of the lagoon is beautiful, you need to wear water shoes due to the coral that is close to the beach.

• My husband read someone else’s suggestion to buy your own alcohol at Duty Free and bring it to your hotel. It’ll save you a bit on drink costs given that most of our cocktails were about $20 each.

• Got a cold? Well the hotel can’t provide you any Nyquil so your only other option is to take a boat to IC Le Moana, take the bus to Vaitape and go to the one pharmacy in town which basically is a CVS/Walgreens.

• Want to try the special of the day at dinner, but you wanted another dish more? It’s okay, as I saw a few times last night’s appetizer served at breakfast the next morning.

• Review your itemized bill. We were charged for a $200 bottle of champagne from our mini bar which we did not drink.

So long story short, I think this was my last trip to the IC Thalasso. The grounds looked less manicured/spotless and service was not the same. It was definitely disappointing compared to my previous visit so I am now ready to try the St. Regis or Four Seasons on my next trip to Bora Bora.

Room Tip: Read review for details regarding room picks.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
23  Thank keyser_soosie

Dear Guest, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

Thank you very much for having taken some of your valuable time to post your comment on TripAdvisor and to make us aware of your second experience among us.

I am glad the front office team responded well to your room move request and has succeed to please you with the Diamond Bungalow n°230 which has indeed an amazing view on the Mount Otemanu. The matters you have raised regarding the photo at the check-in have been discussed with the team in order to avoid repetition.

I am sorry to read that your second stay was not as wonderful as the first one. Providing the best services mean a lot to the hotel staff. Please contact us at gmoffice.boraboraspa@ihg.com so we can obtain additional details regarding your stay. Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and we really hope to have another possibility to take care of you in the future.

Sincerely yours,