“Love it, love it, love it”

InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Absolutely fabulous, stayed in an overwater villa which was gorgeous and spacious, I also love the deck size on the villa, some of the other top resorts only have small ones. Everything about this place is fabulous, never mind the fabulous view.
This is heaven, one day I'll get back again.

Room Tip: Overwater villa, people this is the only choice worthy in Bora Bora
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Ia Orana Suzie, Greetings from Bora Bora,

Mauruuru for your taking time to share your experience here.

We are very happy to read you loved your stay with us.

The sundeck is a special feature which is really appreciated by our guests.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again, Suzie.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I gotta say, thoroughly impressed with the Intercontinental Thalasso Spa and Resort.

The huts over the water are enormous, you could live here!

The room service is constantly straightening up after you when you leave the room replacing robes and towels.

The views are unbelievable and the staff is wonderful.

If you are looking for a resort to stay at in Bora Bora, stay here. Completely blows away Moorea not only as an island but hospitality wise.

Make sure to eat at Corail the gastronomic restaurant. Probably the best service, food, attention to detail I've had at a restaurant. They replaced all silverware after every course and each presentation was impeccable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Outoftheboxaa

Dear Guest, Greetings from Bora Bora,

Thanks a lot for your great review about our resort.

It is with pride that I read your comments about Le Corail restaurant. We opened our new gastronomic restaurant in April and the feedbacks received so far are amazing! The staff is dedicated to our guests and the food is prepared with attention to details. And you did not mention the view on the lagoon all lit up... Beautiful!

Your kind words will be passed to the staff.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stay in many hotels all around the world, and did not think I would 'love' bora bora, but you know what...I stand corrected. I LOVED bora bora.

good: -overwater bungalows are ALL awesome, and ALL the same inside. The difference in price is the view.
-shallower water in the emerald bungalows and the more $$ you pay, the deeper the water gets.

-The property itself is beautiful. high quality, no expense spared.

-The hotel beach on the lagoon is small but beautiful, I LOVED hanging out with the friendly stingrays

-great hotel bar! with a happy hour from 5-6pm

The bad:

-hotel boat to airport is a rip off...nothing more. US$100 each, eachway for a 20 min ride is a scam. We took the free route which takes around 1.5 hours but only costs US$15 in a cab.

here is how: Air Tahiti free navette (shuttle) boat from the bora bora airport to Viatape town, then cab (easy to get) to Intercontinental Bora Bora [which is a really ugly cheap looking property] then free shuttle boat to the thalasso.

-hotel food boring and expensive. However, the gourmet restaurant looked good (but still pricey).

-hotel staff sometimes a bit slow to reply, but I put this down to language barrier.

All in all, a superb vacation and I will not hesitate to return or tell others to visit.

Room Tip: literally all rooms are suites and superb
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichardCLT
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Richard, Ia Orana from Bora,

Mauruuru roa for taking time to share your experience here.

It is a pleasure to read that you LOVED our beautiful island and resort.

As I read, you had the joy to feed the stingrays with our poolboys. It is an activity that our guests love! They take great pleasure to be part of such experience!

The boat transfer from the airport costs US$152 for the round trip per person. Our resort is located on a motu (small island) and the only possibility to access the hotel is by boat. In Bora Bora the shuttles are made by suppliers which charge the service to the guests. Also, we would rather take care of our guest upon their arrival than let them go to the resort via the main island. This way, we are sure we provide the best arrival experience possible.

We regret you did not totally appreciate the food prepared with attention by our Executive Chef. I forwarded your feedback to him in order to continually improve the guest experience.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again, Dear Richard.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We went on our honeymoon to both the InterContinental Moorea and this InterCon Thalasso. The Moorea site was exceptional even though not as fancy. I travel a lot for work, and have Platinum status with IHG. So given how much I travel, I may be overly critical, but this was my honeymoon, and the amount spent per night does not warrant the experience.

When arriving in Bora Bora, the staff was organized and ready to get us from the airport to the hotel. At both resorts we arrived before check-in due to flight times and travel arrangements. Neither hotel did anything to accommodate our early arrival and said we can just hang out around the hotel. They held on to our bags so we didnt have to walk around with them. We waited as many guests who arrived after us received their rooms.
Upon receiving our room in Bora Bora, we were notified that our bags would be close behind. It ended up taking almost 3 hours for our bags to be brought to the room. I called the front desk, concierge and even room service to try and find out why our bags had not come yet, and I was consistently given lip service. I was even called back at one point and was told "Sir, they are on the way now." 30 minutes after that, I actually had to walk reception, and stayed there until they found my bags. It was very evident they had no idea where our bags were, and even asked me multiple times if I was sure they werent in the room. Trying to keep my calm because I didnt want my honeymoon soured, I waited while the manager refused to speak to me and my bags where nowhere to be found. When eventually found, they had been put in the wrong room because my room was apparently upgraded (which was nice, but confusing because my new room had no view of Mount Otemanu). After being lied to for almost 3 hours, my honeymoon was not off to a great start. The manager finally came out after this was all done and offered to take care of our lunch.

Our room was also not pre-setup with our included honeymoon amenities, something that IHG Moorea did do. I thought it was a very nice in Moorea to come into a room that was expecting us. We actually had to remind the staff at Thalasso that we were due the "honeymoon ammenities" multiple times before it actually was put in the room.

Both of the ice machines on our side of the pontoon were not working the entirety of our stay. There was a sign on one that said to call room service for ice. I called room service numerous times daily during our 5 day trip and only received ice twice after a lengthy delay. Even with repeated requests, and them telling me it might be 20 minutes (which at this point is acceptable), no one shows up with ice. I am sorry, but spending this much on rooms and not having functioning ice machines is unacceptable.

Family members of ours attempted to contact the hotel directly to buy us some sort of gift. I am not sure exactly what they tried to do, but whoever they spoke to at reception did not follow through and nothing was ever processed. My only thoughts on this would be that if someone wants to take care of something or send a gift at the hotel, it should not be difficult.

The half bottle of champagne as part of the honeymoon amenities came to the room and was covered in mold on the inside of the foil on the cork and bottle itself. Staff almost didn't believe me, but they did offer to bring a new bottle to our dinner table instead of the room.

The nice things about this resort were very nice. The food was outstanding, and the face-to-face service was very friendly. The concierge group was extremely helpful in setting up excursions and recommending activities. The rooms were very spacious and very nice.

There were obviously many nice things about this hotel that helped make my honeymoon everything we imagined. I do not like to complain however, after being a platinum elite member for over 2 years now, not being able to use a single rewards point to book this room, and the little details that someone like me who travels a lot would notice and care about, I am very disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tory L
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write this review.

I am very pleased that you liked the property, the food, your room and all the services that our concierges offer with great pleasure.

We are very sorry to read the inconveniences you experienced during your stay - however we appreciate your feedback, as it allows us to improve the guest experience. Please, rest assured that the matters you have raised are not common in our property, and will be discussed with the heads of department concerned.

We really hope we will have another occasion to welcome you in beautiful Bora Bora.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We did our research which is important because there. Are two Intercontinental hotels at Bora Bora and the experience is very different I suspect. This one is awesome - over-water bungalows are very special ... Private and spacious for less than some of the neighbouring hotels.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BalancedCritic2014
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

Mauruuru roa for your feedback.

We are so glad you liked our over water bungalows. It is true that all of them offer privacy and are large enough to invite our guests to relax.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our resort.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our second trip to Bora Bora and it was as incredible as the first. I did a lot of research prior to selecting this hotel and was so glad to see that I made the right choice. The last time we were here we stayed at the Intercontinental Le Moana but this one is much better. The location is perfect. We had stunning views of Mount Otemanu from our bungalow and the beach. The overwater bungalows are clean and spacious, larger than the IC Moana. We joined the Intercontinental Ambassador club and were upgraded at check in. We were especially pleased with the service we received a this hotel. The staff remembered our names from the moment they met us. A few of them (Fabrizio in particular) went out of their way for us. We could not have asked for better service. We would have liked to have been granted a late checkout due to our Ambassador membership but unfortunately it was not available. That said, they do give you access to small shower rooms so that you can clean up before leaving for the airport and that was really convenient.
I would highly recommend that you get a package which includes a meal plan, as everything here is very expensive and we would have spent much more had we not. We had breakfast daily at the Reef restaurant and the buffet was plentiful. There was plenty of selection (American and Polynesian) and the food was good. For dinner, we preferred the Sands Bar and particularly enjoyed having dinner there on the beach (make a reservation and request that spot in advance). The food there was good and we received excellent service.
We highly recommend the daily 5pm happy hour, they have a great selection of drinks and you can't beat the 2 for 1. Don't get there at 6:01 because it ends right on time.
We also really enjoyed the daily 2pm stingray feeding. I suggest to get there a little bit early because the stingrays come in early and hang out. You can get great pictures and videos with them before they food comes and it gets crowded.
We also enjoyed just hanging out on the beach. The hotel provides free paddle boards, kayaks, snorkel gear etc. so we never really got bored. I would suggest water shoes since it is a bit rocky when you first enter the water. Also we saw sea urchines (just a couple) and unfortunately witnessed a woman step on one and have a very painful experience.
We booked a couple of excursions (jet ski, snorkling and shark and stingray feeding). I would suggest to book these directly if you want to save some money rather than go through the hotel. We used Pure Snorkling Reef Discovery, Bora Bora Photo Lagoon and Moana Adventure Tours, all are reputable.
If you are going to leave the resort to go into town just be aware of the boat schedule, I believe it is free during the day but they start charging at some point.

Overall, an AMAZING experience and we would come back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alina F
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Alina, Ia Orana from Bora Bora,

Mauruuru roa for your comments regarding your recent stay. We are all very pleased to read that you spent a "week in Paradise".

We are thrilled to see you had great experiences in our restaurants. The Sands is, indeed, a beautiful spot to have your lunch or your dinner. The view on the lagoon and the Mount Otemanu is always so special from there...

Also glad to read you had fun with the water activities (kayak, paddle, snorkeling...) we offer on the beach. It is always a pleasure with such a turquoise lagoon...

We shall of course informed the whole staff of your comment, with a special thanks to Fabrizio at the Front Office.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to beautiful Bora Bora.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have been to Tahiti 3 times now and were lucky enough to have had the InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora as our very first experience of this beautiful part of the world. From the moment we arrived we were treated as VIPs. The accommodation, facilities, location, accessibility to the township of Viatepe on Bora Bora itself and the staff, were all amazing. Nothing was too much trouble!
The overwater bungalows are very modern and spacious, and, in this resort, cleanliness is next to godliness. Being able to do as much or as little as we wanted on a daily basis, was a treat and we made the most of all that the resort and it's people had to offer. They have a chapel for weddings, (so expect to be amongst a lot of honeymooners), a state of the art gym, and a very high end day spa. The restaurant is second to none and the nightly entertainment, exceptional.
We saw green sea turtles, swam with black tip sharks and marveled at a the abundance of gorgeous fish and rays.
Given this was our first in three experience of Tahiti, it was very difficult for the other places to come close as a must-do place to return to. In our opinion, it's worth saving a little extra in order to experience the best. If this place isn't on your bucket list, it should be. Enjoy! Oh, and if you are able to be there for New Year, that too, is so worth doing.

Room Tip: Any of the overwater bungalows is perfect, however, when in Bora Bora it's very worthwhile havin...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Guillaume E, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest, Greetings from Bora Bora,

What a wonderful way to start the day! Thank you very much for your comment!

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are all very pleased to see that you enjoyed the facilities and the activities.

We look forward to welcome you back, so we can treat you well again.

Warm Regards,