“Would never visit again”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Seoul, South Korea
“Would never visit again”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the St Regis in Bora Bora as part of our trip to French Polynesia. It was to be the main event during our trip through the Island chain. We arrived on Bora Bora island and transferred to Vaitape as we wanted to explore the main island before our stay at the St Regis.
We understood that the norm would be to transfer from the airport directly to the St Regis, so we called them before departing on our holiday and was informed that we could transfer to the resort via the main island shuttle boat which departed from the Robert Wan pearl store in Vaitape.
We had no problems with this and on the morning of our arrival to St Regis we called to reconfirm the exact times for the shuttle boat and to let them know that we would be arriving at a specific time on the shuttle boat. We called two times just to make sure and both times the St Regis confirmed our arrival.
The bus picked us up from the Robert Wan store without a problem and we arrived at the shuttle boat dock. Other guests proceeded to board the boat whilst we were made to wait. The boat then started to untie from the dock. We enquired what about us? There was plenty of room on the boat for us and our luggage. We were informed that there was another boat coming in 10 minutes.
Ok we thought, a bit strange as there was room on this boat but we were genuinely excited at our stay so shrugged it off. After looking at the fish by the dock for 20 minutes, we asked the security guard at the dock what was happening. He had no idea and so we just waited, and waited. About 35 minutes after the first boat left we saw another boat appoach. After it had pulled in we realised it was the SAME boat!
Why were we told lies that there was another boat coming when the driver knew he had to come back? So, 40 minutes of dead time later I found myself loading my luggage onto the transfer boat. This was really not the experience I was expecting for a $1,500 per night OWB stay, but hey it can only get better right? We shrugged it off again and enjoyed the amazing beauty of the lagoon during our ride to the St Regis resort.
Upon arrival at the dock at the St Regis again I found myself unloading my luggage off the boat to the dock. The shuttle boat then pulled away leaving us standing there like idiots. The reception was no where in sight, and not another soul was around.
Getting extremely frustrated at this stage I started dragging my luggage around in various directions until I found stairs leading to what could be the reception. After almost arriving at the reception I was finally spotted by a female management staff member who offered to take my luggage. By this stage i could see the reception and said forget it. She went back inside and summoned other porters to assist the last 1m of my journey to the reception.

I was quite hot at this stage. Both physically and mentally. I asked in a reasonable tone of voice is this how guests are checked in and is this the normal welcome? I mean come on, at a $90 per night Ibis ok, but not here? I was given a slightly apologetic speil from the caucasian reception staff about not knowing we were arriving and asking how did we get to the resort. I explained I had called twice this morning to confirm and inform them of my arrival on this specific shuttle boat.
I didnt even mention the debarcle of actually getting on a shuttle boat because the situation on arriving at the resort was insane! They gave their apologies (as they couldnt explain their actions at all) but that was it! I mean even if they had comp'd a drink or something at the bar that would have been something. But nothing further was done. The manager wasnt even summoned to attend to the situation. Our expectations and intial impressions were not very good at this time.
We had been treated much much better at our resort on the main island which cost 10% of the room rate at the St Regis.

At this stage as disappointed as one can be after such treatment, we again cooled our jets and tried to enjoy ourself. The rest of the check in was prompt and we were taken to our OWB by a well mannered french man who gave us information on the resort facilities and restaurants.
The OWB itself was faultless and tidy, and the view across the lagoon was fantastic. Generally the resort facilities are really well kept and the Tahitian staff that work at these facilities are genuinely friendly and welcoming. Perhaps they should replace the reception staff with Tahitians who genuinely care about guests and their wellbeing?

So as we discovered the pros of the St Regis Bora Bora:

1. Its natural beauty and views are simply unique in the world. It really is fantastic.
2. Resort facilities are well kept.
3. The lagoonairum on the resort is alot of fun with large amounts of different fish (it is best at the small dock near the spa centre. Bring some baguettes from the mainland to feed the fish and marvel at your new popularity with the local aquatic life!)
4. Bicycles are provided to allow you to easily get around the resort (definately required if you are in one of the OWBs furthest away from the resort)
5. The local Tahitian staff that work in the resort facilities and the housekeeping department.

And some of the other cons in addition to those stated of the St Regis Bora Bora:

1. The beach was dirty - yes depending on tides and location etc seaweed and other objects in the water will be deposited on the beach. However would it be too much to ask if management were to arrange it to be cleaned every morning. The beach even with its flaws was extremely picturesque however.
2. Breakfast Buffet - was disappointing to say the least. Especially when compared to the price that is charged for it. The selection of food was not large, the quality of the food available was not good either. We also had an incident with a rude waitress. One morning we presented ourselves to breakfast and enquired if we could sit at a free table. A french waitress unexpectedly responded with a sharp and blunt 'No'. We were shocked and in spite of her we sat down anyway.
There were numerous free tables and there could be no logical reason why we couldnt sit at this one. Nor was there any signage stating we need to be seated.
3. Restaurant - the restaurant is situated with a remarkable view of the main island and the outside tables are the most desireable. We booked in advance expecting to be seated outside, however the outside tables were 'all booked' and we had to make do with 'an inside seat'. There were tables setup outside for drinks or cocktails that were free. Not once were we asked if we wanted to be seated there despite the smaller table size. The entire evening those tables were not occupied at all.
In addition to the above the waitress tasked with our service was cold and borderline rude. Service was slow, however the meals were of decent quality if extremely pricey.

The best characteristics of the St Regis Bora Bora sadly are those that have been endowed on it from the beauty of its surroundings. The resort facilities themselves are excellent however the management and service provided by some members of the resort staff could be much much better. In reading about the St Regis before our stay we only read the overwhelming good reviews here on tripadvisor. However on our return, and after reviewing the poor reviews it appears that there are a number
of reoccuring issues (namely the transfers to the resort, poor service provided by some staff, and issues with the F&B department - breakfast namely) Service standards are measured consistenly woldwide. Just because a certain nationalilty of 'service' is offered at the St Regis it should not be accepted as the norm. We are experienced travellers and expected much much more from the St Regis however we were disappointed at what it offered in certain regards. It is still one of the experiences
we use when travelling to compare other resorts and hotels around the world. We have come across many establishments since our visit that make us wonder what went wrong at the St Regis Bora Bora.

In a nutshell it is still a fantastic resort to visit. However it could be so much better. Would we visit again? Never again! Going to try 4 Seasons or the Intercontinental !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
31 Thank Bambinaaa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have been to this hotel for three years in a row and it just keeps getting better. Do you know the feeling when you open the door to your room and a rush of happiness comes over you? This is the place. It's not inexpensive to stay here but when you hear money can't buy happiness then you've never been to this hotel. Top level service, not too busy that you feel that you're just another guest. Oh and the natural beauty along with the well designed private island feeling with bikes to ride about, snorkeling in their private lagoonarium and top notch cuisine it's just lovely. Our butler Sebastien was also the nicest touch...he was there but not intrusive and made this a most memorable vacation. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013
West Covina, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I rarely love a hotel...being a travel agent, I'm jaded on my expectations.. :)

St Regis exceeded my expectations! Service from arrival to departure was excellent...My butler was awesome, he explained what to expect upon arrival, and how to contact him for transfers...Talked about adult areas and where to go for kayaking/water activities...And there provide snorkeling gear on your deck.

And their Jean Georges (over water) restaurant...try their raspberry cheesecake - divine inspiration.

Room Tip: Oasis pool - adults only..and very tranquil. Or just sit on your balcony and watch the clouds and s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank daisykngdm
StRegisBoraBora, Sales Coordinator at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Ia Orana daisykngdm !

Mauru'uru for taking your time reviewing about our Property !
We are delighted to read that we managed to meet and even exceed your expectations !
Of course, this is only possible thanks to the wonderful associates working towards providing the best experiences as can be. We will definitely make sure they are aware of your feedback !

Being a travel agent, I would be pleased to touch base with you should you wish to learn more about the property on a more professional plan. Please do not hesitate to email us at sales@stregisborabora.com.

Wishing you a wonderful time back in California,

Sydney
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I am not going to over do this review because there are just so many below that are the same as what mine will be. We went to the St Regis in October 2013 for 7 nights for our honeymoon. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience, when I mean a once in a lifetime experience we just returned from Los Cabos Mexico and gave it a 1 out 10 compared to the St Regis Bora Bora and it was still an amazing trip.

Where to begin? As an ambassador SPG with over 100+ nights I was hoping for some special treatment... boy did I get more then I bargained for. The butler that was assigned to us was Masa, a young Japanese man who understand service better then anyone I have ever met in my life. The boat ride and greeting on the docs was nothing short of out of a movie. We had booked a standard overwater bungalow and were upgraded to room 221 I believe. It was a 2bed 2bath overwater villa at the edge of the complex facing the mountain with a private plunge pool. I thought I had hit the jackpot and I certainly had. Not only did we get this insane upgrade to a 3500 square foot room but we also got a free couples massage valued at over $400 usd and ofcourse the complementary champayne and snacks on arrival. Now thats ambassador level service!

What else do you want to know about... I will keep it short. The breakfast buffet is the best I have ever had in my life, the restaurants on property are all out of this world. The lagoon restaurant is a must! Watch the sharks whilst you eat. Have the crusted tuna for appetizer, one of the best I have had in my life.

Make sure you visit the lagoonarium during feeding and enjoy many snorkles, YOU MUST do the shark and stingray tour as well as visit the aquarium in the ocean for snorkelling.

The resort itself is picturesque... everything is maintained perfectly and the staff are beyond belief. Instead of a normal resort where you are sold sunscreen or pushed to order lunch, you are provided towels every time they notice yours are used, they have all the different sunscreen you could want, they provide fresh fruit throughout the day and are just there to tend your every need.

Truly once in a lifetime and I pray we will be able to manage to go back. Be aware that its not a cheap holiday, the food and activities are expensive... but it should also be a once in a life type mentality.

A true and heartfelt thanks to the staff at the St Regis Bora Bora for making our trip one we will never forget in regards to all aspects we could of dreamed of.

Room Tip: I recommend selecting mountain view rooms, so tranquil and peaceful. You can always walk over to the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AvSteR100
Dear AvSteR100, Ia Orana !

We would like to extend our most sincere Mauru'uru for sharing such a nice feedback about our Resort and our dear associates !
We are all moved by the passion of servicing, and the Polynesian art of Welcoming is internationally known. We are really happy to read that you felt both these aspects of our daily attentions during your recent stay with us.
As a Starwood Ambassador, you have been supporting our brand, chain, and standards in your every stays away from home. We are extremely grateful for your kind loyalty - Thank you !
Be certain that we also hope for your return, and to have again the opportunity to take care of you !

The St. regis Bora Bora Resort
Dubai
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Wow what an amazing hotel. I've also stayed at Intercontinental in Bora Bora and this by far is the best hotel I have ever stayed in let alone Bora Bora.
Our butler was Hiroko, she was fantastic. One thing we were grateful for was to have her as she is Japanese and very quiet and reserved and would help us with whatever we wanted. She helped us surprise our parents with a Canoe breakfast with Santa Clause on Christmas Day.
The staff surprised me with birthday celebrations and every day was a beautiful touch in our rooms. One thing i would recommend is there should be more 'casual' dining options.
The dining is amazing and 7 stars however 7 nights of eating gourmet french and international fare it could be worth offering some more lighter options of an evening (only pool bar as this offering).
Lucky for us we were there over Christmas and had live singer from The Voice performing every night. If you visit on a normal month there is no live music or entertainment - as a family this would be nice to have for something to do in the evenings.
This is a hotel and holiday i will never forget.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank heidiaus
Dear heidiaus, Ia Orana !

Thank you very much for posting such a nice review, and more importantly, to take time sharing your experience with our trackers and followers.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your Christmas Vacation and we will make sure to thank Hiroko for providing you a service you feel the need to review about ! Hiroko is a wonderful young lady.Of course, we will make sure to thank Santa too for delivering your parents breakfast on the Canoe !
We are quite surprised that you found we were missing casual food options on property as we have recently opened (September) our italian Farniente Ristorante outlet for this very purpose ! Both Aparima Bar and Farniente serve snacking and/or homestyle cuisine as we understand that fine dining experiences for the entire stay can be slightly too much. We are sorry that the italian didn't meet your expectations on that aspect, but perhaps the Chef should be flattered !
Also, we usually have music entertainment every Tuesday at Lagoon Restaurant with the talent Herenui during the regular months of the year.

Again, we would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort and extend our very best wishes for the 11 remaingin months of 2014 !

Redlands
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I planned my 10 year anniversary to stay are the St Regis. I am so thankful for Pacific for Less. They made the trip very easy. I cannot say thank you enough to all the staff at the St Regis. My wife and I had the most amazing trip. The rooms are just amazing, the grounds are beautiful, and pictures just don't do it justice. We and room 109 facing the island, and it was perfect. Would I ever want to not face the mountain? No. Save the extra money to stay on that side. The interesting part, is that those bungalows are shielded from the wind, so the waters underneath never where choppy. I am no food critic but everything was delicious to me. Breakfast was great to have included! Most people knowing your name by your third day. Smiles all around. In paradise with my love, what else could be better? You are forced to relax here. We booked the "Love Boat" excursion through Pacific for Less....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE- if you take anything away from this- you HAVE to book this. They take you around the whole island with many stops for pictures. Having those photos (taken from the captain) are worth their weight in gold. There is no other way to get those pictures otherwise. We did it the second day we were there and it was one of the best decisions we made. We got to see all the different colors of blues Bora Bora has to offer and we hit a couple of snorkeling spots as well. St. Regis will be seeing us again, but next time with the kids!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ia Orana Tim h !

Mauru'uru for such wonderful review !
We are delighted to read that your 10th Anniversary was a successful celebration ! We understand how important sharing love and showing love is. To us, it is of the utmost importance to make sure our guests have all the possibilities to express it, and in their very own way.
Of course, we love to see the love and lovers sharing valuable time together, but we also love kids so much ! We will be extremely happy to welcome the yougest members of the family and are already waiting for your return to get to meet the children !

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Loved the St Regis but cripes it was pricey. We knew it would be expensive but didn't expect to spend 50 USD on a pizza (the New Years Eve party was 800 USD pp excluding drinks!).
We had a lovely butler called Sebastien who looked after my husband when he was ill, and the staff were all very welcoming.

Some of the rooms and resort areas looked a little tired and the blinds in our room were covered in dust when I opened them. The overwater bungalow 327 was lovely and the bed was super comfy.

We were presented with a badly chipped tea pot for breakfast which was always only half filled with tea for 2 of us. The fruit was disappointing at breakfast with whole apples, pears etc and no exotic ready cut fruit salad or prunes, figs etc.

We got our bucket of ice from room service 3 hours late and our dirty glasses were left outside our front door for several days. Other than a few niggles it was a great honeymoon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janemeans
Dear dungagal, Ia Orana

First of all, thank you very much for taking your time sharing your recent experience with us ! It is thanks to such customer behavior that we are able to improve our level of services. Speaking about which, we would like to thank you even more for letting us know about the inconveniences you have met during your stay in our Resort.
We will definitely use your review to control our standards (as it is the case anytime we receive feedback on the areas our clients would like us to improve). First, we will make sure to remind all our housekeeping associates about the importance of details. We will also go under the same process with our breakfast team.
Unfortunately, as much as we would like to improve, being a Resort on an island can be quite challenging some times to times. We will make sure to order bigger stocks of fresh fruits over the Christmas season so that our dear guests can still enjoy the freshest delicacies Polynesian earth can offer!
Of course, I remain at your disposal should you need to discuss further on your experience : sales@stregisborabora.com

Sending you our very best regards,