“We were crying all the way home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
New Jersey
“We were crying all the way home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2006

My wife, daughter (14 years old) and I spent two weeks at the St. Regis for our summer vacation and had a great time. The service from the minute you step into the terminal off the plane to the minute you step back onto the plane was exceptional. They did the little things right. For example, when you worried about a language barrier with room service you proactively got a call back to double check the order and assure its prompt delivery. The minute they figured out who you were you were greated accordingly, everywhere...even service staff I hadn't met knew who I was and knew our preferences. Plenty of activities for water stuff, spa, on the island, etc. or you can veg out as much as you like. We had a beach villa with our own pool and beach so we had as much privacy as we wanted or we could go to the main pool and beach as well. We were pretty self sufficient so we didn't really leverage the butler services, eventhough the few times we did they were prompt and always smiling.

The rooms were beautiful, clean and well designed. We had occassional problems with the A/C but it was fixed everytime within 20 minutes. The wireless internet connection was slow, but who cares, you're on vacation!

The food was very good. Milton the GM told us to just ask for anything especially since we were staying two weeks and the menus can get repetitive so we did and had good variety. We ate at other resorts and nothing came close. The bar service at the pool was a highlight for us since we spent a lot of time at the pool and having evening cocktails there...the staff of Julien, Cerise, Jean-Phillipe, Guy, etc. did a great job in anticipating what you wanted but never were overbearing. The only they need to do is change the music once in a while. I don't speak French but I could sing every song they played.

I suggest you go somewhat self sufficient. We brought our own DVDs and books and never needed anything except the basics. If you go with a mindset that your going to have a great time, there is no reason you won't. Even if there are minor issues since things are new they get resolved quickly.

It's only going to get better so we can't wait to book another trip and relax in paradise.

• Liked — Service Staff, Accomodations, Shear Beauty of the Setting
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Check your bill on the way out
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
7 Thank NJtraveler35

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2006

Please see my French Polynesia forum post with more detail.

Now to the St. Regis Bora Bora: Let me start off by saying we are already planning our return trip back here in the future. From the airport, we were picked up in a Miami Vice type of speedboat with seating for 4, very cool. It's a short 10 minute trip to the resort. The water in the lagoon is surreal, it literally looks like a giant swimming pool it is so clear and there are different shades of blue. You'll pass by the new Four Seasons resort, the bungalows did not seem as large as the St. Regis although it looked like they all had some sort of Jacuzzi. All of the islands (motus) surrounding Bora Bora is protected by coral creating this big lagoon.
Once you get to the St. Regis, the place is stunning, unlike Le Taha'a which uses a lot of natural beauty and landscape, at the St. Regis it looks like they pretty much cleared everything off the land and started from scratch, beautifully done. You'll be greeted by one of your 24-hour butlers (which we rarely used because we didn't really need much) and will have a quick check-in. From there, you'll get a quick tour of the resort via golf cart and will be taken to your room. The grounds are gorgeous, the beach lagoon, outdoor bar, pool, restaurants, bungalow docks. There is a private pool that you can rent a cabana for $200/day, the pool is small and would seem boring unless the main pool was overcrowded. The whole time at the resort we didn't see more than 12-15 other couples and saw 2 families total. At the pool, there are a limited amount of lounge chairs where they'll set up an umbrella for you, there are drink/food servers, and a swim up bar. At the beach, there are also about 30-40 lounge chairs with umbrellas if you'd like, a server will come by there as well. The beach lagoon water/sand is silky, not much snorkeling action though as there is very limited coral. The Regis does have it's own fenced in lagoonarium where you can snorkel with the fish and a turtle. This area is surrounded by the beach villas and the spa. Everything at the resort was open when I was there except for the sushi bar, a couple of shops, and the new kid's club they're building.
We had a deluxe overwater bungalow which is pretty much a standard bungalow. We were at the end of the docks far from the main area which gave us a lot of privacy. The negative is that our view was the new Four Seasons which was still under construction so you can see cranes in the water but it's far so we never heard any noise. You'll get a good view of the highest peak in Bora Bora (sorry can't remember what it's called). The other slight negative in terms of the view is that across from the St. Regis on the main island is where they burn the trash so you'll see constant smoke. Just wanted to point everything out but it's no big deal.
Inside the bungalow you'll have a large king size bed with canopy, huge bathroom with separate tub and elevevated shower, little walkin closet area with safe, separate living/dining area and huge outdoor patio with 2 lounge chairs, a covered dining area, and swimming platform with outdoor shower. In spots in the floor you can see underwater and there is a light you can turn on at night. You can dive into the lagoon as it's at least 10-12 feet deep. Like I said earlier though, the ocean floor is sandy with little coral so you won't see much fish. You can swim out from your bungalow as the bungalows are "roped off" so the speed boats don't go in the swimming area. The bungalow though overall is gorgeous and very comfortable, flat screens and bose radio with built in ceiling speakers and fans. You can request cds and dvds if you'd like.
We did a 2 hour jet skiing tour around the island which I highly recommend as well as the shark/stingray feeding. For those that are scared of the sharks as well as stingrays now because of the recent Steve Irwin death, don't be. My wife planned on staying in the boat for this excursion but I coaxed her into coming into the water. They take you out on the edge of the lagoon in about chin high water where you swim to this rope near the boat. From here you hold on the rope so you can keep steady snorkeling and watch the sharks/rays/fish come as the guide is feeding them bait. The sharks are blacktip and never really come more than about 3 feet from you. It almost seems like they know not to cross the "rope line" The stingrays however go where they please and there is a lot of them. There is also a morey eel that you'll see. After awhile the guide will go back near the boats with the bait and the stingrays will swarm you. This is where my wife was terrified and jumped on my back the whole time. They are friendly and I had a blast. They will then let you take some time to snorkel around the corals, it's beautiful. Make sure you have some kind of water shoes as it's really sharp. I do know of another couple we met staying at IC Thalasso that went on their own shark/ray excursion, big difference though is that they just jumped in the water and the guide fed the sharks right away, there was no rope. From here, the boat will take you to this beautiful private motu where they'll chop down some cocunuts/bananas and you'll eat here. The whole time a videographer is filming everyone and edited (we had the limit of 8 people on our boat) and you can buy it for $150. I think it's worth it as we were obviously in it a lot.
We also went to La Villa Mahana as I had requested a reservation directly with Damian about a week before we left. There were some people we had met at the St. Regis who had made reservations while they were there. We had actually wanted to cancel this reservation as we didn't feel like going that night but the concierge forced us to go saying we'd miss the experience and regret it. The St. Regis provides transportation around different points of the island including the main island at no charge. Briefly regarding the main island, you don't need more than 2 hours there, there is very little shopping and no disrepect but it's not the cleanest areas but i've heard they are refurbishing this area. As for the restaurant, the Regis will take you via boat to the Le Meridian dock where you'll have a taxi waiting for you (the Regis will take care of everything as long as they know you've got reservations there) to take you to the restaurant which is about a half-hour drive on a pothole filled road (the cost of the taxi is $10 round trip which is added on to your dining bill). The restaurant reminds me of a little Italian eatery. There are 6 tables in the main area and one upstairs (this one upstairs was booked 6 months in advance). I will say that this place is overhyped and not worth going imho. If anyone is afraid of gecko's, they are all over the place on the walls, this made my wife uncomfortable to some extent as she was kind of jumpy the whole meal especially when one fell on our table. There was a couple next to us that couldn't stand it, they left in the middle of their meal. Knowing this is a tropical area we accept this part of nature of course but it doesn't lessen the fact that some are not used to this type of stuff. I personally had no issues with it, there were also cats walking around the restaurant which i'm allergic too but didn't affect me at all. My wife being a non-seafood eater did not enjoy the food as much as me. I had the sampler dinner which had 5 diff. courses each very good but nothing mind blowing that I haven't had someplace else that was better. With the 2 meals, 2 glasses of wine and dessert, we spent about $300U.S. The two other couples that were there all staying at the St. Regis really enjoyed the restaurant though but didn't feel it was a must go if they came back to Bora Bora. In summary, a normal meal nothing special other than the fact it's in Bora Bora. At the Regis there is the gourmet dinner restaurant which we felt was good and the main restaurant open for any meal was also fine. Room service was nice except that the food was sort of cold when it got there. We had free breakfast for some promotion but make sure your travel agent requests it (join Starwood).
Overall regarding the St. Regis, the most beautiful place i've ever been to. Difference here than Le Taha'a, the people at the St. Regis come from all over and are mostly French (no disrepect), not many natives so although friendly, not naturally friendly like Taha'a. The Regis is more like a pampering resort, Taha'a a village that you live in temporarily. Lot's of different activities to do at the Regis (we heard the submarine trip was fun, also the jeep safari at the main island, let you ride bikes for free) and just the beach/pool/outdoor bar alone kept us busy most of the time. We didn't want to leave the Regis as much as we missed our kids that we did not bring, it is that nice. We will bring them the next time though, they would have loved it (2 and 5 years old). I would go back tomorrow if I could. I can't really think of any negatives regarding the Regis. Overall for Le Taha'a i'd give 4 stars and the St. Regis 5 stars.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — High Prices
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
17 Thank sbas2k
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2006

We just got back from our honeymoon and stayed 4 nights in a Beach Villa at the St. Regis. This room was absolutely amazing! We even had our own plunge pool and basically our own beach. The food at the resort is also top notch. The only problem is that the staff still really doesn't know what they are doing. I will have to say that they are just experiencing some growing pains as they have just opened. The whole butler idea is a scam. If they would just put an iron and a coffee maker in the room, plus an ice machine close by, then you would never need the butler. Plus, 90% we could not even get in touch with him and the front desk would help us out. All in all, this is one amazingly beautiful hotel with the greatest rooms I have ever seen...they just need to work on their service, which I am sure they will over time.

Stayed August 2006
17 Thank Phat Kid
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

I recently visited the St. Regis Bora Bora for several days and brought my mother along. Waiting on the resort's dock was our smiling butler, Ambre. Smiling faces, both ours and those of the staff, seemed to be a theme during our visit. Everyone was particularly accommodating -- helping us plan activities, suggesting places to visit and dine, making reservations, etc. At one point, a diver (Hiro) was sent to rescue some of my papers that blew under the dock. I remain eternally grateful. Starting our day with breakfast served by the very affable Pierre, moving on to arrangements made by Jeanne Pahuiri, the Cheif Concierge, to insider tips from Front Desk Manager Sandrine Thiery. Florian made sure my mom and I had our photos taken from several different views before we departed (and juice to quench our thirst,) Reservation Manager Rejane Narbonnet had umbrellas at the ready at the sign of inclement weather, Tamara pointed out sites during our transport on the resort's boat to the main island, butler Lara shared her joy over a visiting couple's nuptials at the resort. As you can tell, the resort itself was not only outstanding, but the staff felt like family and made our stay that much more special. With that, I sign off with outstanding thanks to General Manager Milton Sgarbi, Benjamin, Nicole and Jacob Sinclair. We had a spectacular time.

• Liked — The villas smack dab in the turquoise ocean waters.
  • Disliked — What's not to love.
  • Stayed August 2006
8 Thank bekwright
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2006

after reading nicole kidman had stayed there for her honeymoon, we assumed the st regis bora bora would be the ultimate destination:wrong. After paying in excess of $ 1250.00 aus per person PER DAY we felt very ripped off. The so called 24 hour butler was rarely available (one morning i called at 9 am to find where my laundry was from the day before and was told our butler would be at work at 3 pm, call back then. thats ok, but we were checking out at 2pm.) The dvd collection was never available, i asked for at least 10, all were "out ". Our friends waited 2 days for theirs to be delivered to their villa, they never arrived. The food was so-so, nothing to rave about. the 1 shop didnt even sell a book or magazine, something to read while laying in the sun? The day spa charged US $400.00 FOR A COUPLES MASSAGE, I THOUGHT MY 12 year old was doing it. The requested hot stone was unavailable as the stone heater was broken. in all a waste of money, i will never return. better value elsewhere

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — front desk staff, lack of amenities, food, butler service, spa
  • Tips/Secrets — dont waste your money
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
27 Thank janinet
Mauji, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2006

St.Regis Bora Bora earns its reputation. It is absolutely incredible in every way.
It was such a magnificent view.
Everything about the hotel was great. They have Very nice. Restaurants and they have wonderful, professional, friendly staffs. Even our 3 years old was treated like princess.
Everything about the rooms is incredible. The view from the OWB is breath taking. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows were perfect. Every staff member we encountered was warm and friendly. It was absolutely incredible. I really don't have a negative comment to say about the hotel. You should do it at least once in your life.
This hotel is beyond comparison with any other hotels. Service is impeccable, the hotel and its facilities are in perfect condition and its rooms are without doubt the most comfortable I have stayed in ever. The management did wonderful job.

• Liked — Beauty and Service
  • Disliked — None
  • Tips/Secrets — Jet Ski around the island!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank maxnmaui
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2006

I recently spent more than 2 weeks at the St. Regis and was thoroughly impressed.

The bungalows are quite spacious and beautiful. The overall lanscaping is lovely, and I am sure the plantings grow in over the next year or so will only become better.

What set the St. Regis apart from other resorts for us was the amazing enthusiasm and commitment to excellance that the staff showed. The resort itself has clearly been built to be in that handful of resorts anywhere in the world that is "simply the best." But what made it all hapen was the staff, which seemed to take real pride in the resort.

Activities: We were there for more than 2 weeks and certainly never thought there was a shortage of activities (although they are a bit pricey). We did a lot of SCUBA diving. We seemed to have better luck with some of the people who worked at the acticities desk than others, but part of that may simply have been because the resort is relatively new and some things still need to be worked out. Even so, one shouldn't go to Bora Bora -- any resort -- thinking that there will be lots and lots of different activities.

Food: Really, really excellent. The Lagoon Restaurant is certainly very nice, but we were consistently impressed with the resorts other "regular" restaurant (and as a New Yorker I am used to having good food).

Staff: Again -- The best thing by far was the staff. Young, friendly, enthuiastic and witty. Really what made the resort (and the whole trip) for us was the staff. We've stayed at similarly beautiful exotic resorts with overwater bungalows elsewhere (such as the Maldives), but have never seen such a great commited group of young people working to make their resort simply THE BEST.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple