“The only word is WOW”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 19 May 2011

(We stayed in September, sorry for the late review. It appears from some other reviews that people snorkeled with fish on the Four Season's property? We weren't able to do that in September...)
The only word is WOW! So, we stayed at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. We were totally pampered. I highly recommend this resort. I’ll make a quick list here and then expand below so one might read on a topic that interests.

The OWBs are very Four Seasons, nicely appointed, tasteful.
The Staff is attentive.
The lagoon is stunning, and basically dead. No reef, barely a fish. Very strong current. The prettiest color blue I’ve ever laid eyes upon.
The Beach service is fantastic. The beach itself is lovely but has issues that would not prevent us from returning.
The Pool appears pretty as we walked by, we’re not pool people.
Restaurants… I’m gluten free and have other food allergies. Amazing attention was given to this, overall very shocking how attentive and lovely the staff was regarding this situation. Btw- without asking them, they started the conversation most times. The food was delicious.
Workout facilities. This is the only REAL disappointment at the resort. This is a new Four Seasons and the gym is tiny compared to the number of rooms. The floor was very slippery and not a gym floor.
The spa is also tiny and requires appointments well in advance. Massage was heavenly and professional.
Concierge: Eric is amazing. Trust him
Grounds are lovely with places to walk and explore.
Transportation was easy with transfers to and from the airport. The boats to and from Vaitape are only twice a day. It’s possible to arrange $$ private transfers, but the hotel is a tad reluctant.
Off Property:
Diving: My husband went on a private dive with Bathys. DH is a dive master and he had a good time. Snorkeling: We went on a private snorkel with Christophe Poch, the only word is GO! Reef Discovery 689 76 43 43 He made a cd for us with photos and a small video. He found rays and explained the fish in the coral garden. What a delight! www.reefdiscovery.pf

Vaitape:
Bloody Mary’s, Perfect Perfect fish, the rest, is kitschy. Great service. A must go, and would go back in a heartbeat.
Kaina Hut, every bite is delicious! Fabulous service.
Bora Bora Home. They’re representing Bora Bora artists and have a well edited selection. Nice people, and great taste. Truly a gem.
Robert Wan… If you’re buying and running behind, they will shuttle you to your hotel on their boat. Yay
Yeves the taxi driver is wonderful
Off Island
Papeete
It’s not for me. It seemed kind of seedy. We overnighted at the Intercontinental which is mediocre with really scratchy sheets. Very tired hotel actually. The service is really slow. If you need a luggage pick up at 8:30, tell them 7:55, seriously! And the restaurant service is exceptionally slow. Like molasses. The taxi driver was a bright spot.
Okay, the expanded version… You know a lot of this will seem picky, but if you’re a control freak, you’ll appreciate knowing what to bring. It’s a very small place. Just running out to buy something isn’t possible.

The Four Seasons OWBs… They’re quite comfortable. The bed is cozy, the bath is in the right spot for views. There are small cutouts in the floor for viewing.. The walls have some strange cement windows. Didn’t get that one. I think it’s for privacy, but it just came across as a cemented window. Plenty of closet space. The bath products are L’Occitaine. Not sure about the Shampoo and Conditioner as they’re in charming ceramic jugs. I noticed what was not included compared to other Four Seasons beach resorts. No Woolite, no sewing kit, no shower caps, no after sun lotion, just the regular lemon body lotion. I generally use all these items. I poached a shower cap from the spa. And was prepared with the other items. Also, I didn’t check the guests laundry area as I was on vacation and didn’t want to get too heavily involved in chores. Maybe there was Woolite there? Anyway, I write about this mundane #($! as it’s important to know what to bring. The Four Seasons does not have laundry lines in their rooms. We had wet bathing suits and had to improvise as to how to dry them. On Maui they have little stands for the lanai. I’m sure this is to prevent people from swinging their suits over the railing, but still, lovely if Bora Bora could do the same. We received some wonderful fruit upon arrival and that’s it. No extra fruit, no flowers, orchids, ginger, etc. in the room. It’s a very expensive resort, so I was a little surprised. I’m grateful that the room was not sprinkled with flowers on every surface, but I miss the orchids in a bud vase on the bath counters. There is a hot water kettle for tea, so I was in heaven. Snacks, well, what did you bring with you? BRING SNACKS! I packed Justin’s Peanut Butter packets, sunflower seeds, Gluten free crackers, glad I did. I love hotels that have the empty fridge these days. But there is not a store unless you want to go to Vaitape and spend boat loads of $$ for tiny bag of Doritos. The hotel will happily bring snacks, but again, sometimes it’s just nice to have what you want when you want it.

The bungalows are set out over the water on piers. Regarding the views, some bungalows will have views of the bungalows across the lagoon, others will have views of the private beach set aside for the big private villas, and some will have views of the mountain and the sea. So, do you want it expensive, really expensive, or super expensive? We enjoyed our views of the mountain and it was well worth the extra pennies.

Jumping into the lagoon is fun for a real swim. Not for lounging! That current is strong. But wonderful to have the shower on the deck. OH! And the room numbers, thanks for that. The bungalows are all the same. Ha ha. There is ample room outside for dining and sunning. Perfection!

The lagoon at this resort is completely barren. Knowing this before we went staved off any disappointments. Taking a swim off the deck in the am instead of working out is a benefit! Despite this lack of sea life, I had a lot of fun in the lagoon! It’s the prettiest color and kind of a relief after snorkeling with so many fish.

The swimming off the beach is a bit simpler. There is still a current, but it’s mild. The water is shallow, but deep enough to get some swimming in. We loved it.

The beach service is AMAZING! Totally pampered. We took to the thatched roof lounging area and could stay there the rest of our lives. The staff will happily bring you samples of virgin drinks, coconut milkshakes? OMG! Pineapple, kiwi things, I don’t know what it all was, but it was heavenly. Lunch on the beach? A roof for the rain? The coziest beach lounger? Friendly happy staff? All heaven. Now if we could get rid of the smokers, we’d be set! Strive for a hut away from the bar. It’s 1995 calling, they want the cigar back!

The bar was fun. Our bartender was happy to replicate A Virgin Coconut Mint Refresher from Mama’s Fish House in Paia. I have the ingredients memorized. Yum

The beach itself is tranquil. The water is so pretty to take in, there is a small step into the water. And, OH! The sand doesn’t get hot. Yay. The floor of the lagoon is kind of gushy and coraly. The water was chilly in September. There is a little island out in the water. It was a popular photo op.

We went kayaking one day. Or, one minute I should say. I’m totally lame as a kayak captain, so instead of getting an individual, get the double and tell your husband what a great paddler he is! The current is really really strong. I’m much better at steering the beach lounger.

Gluten Free Bora Bora. Okay, if you don’t have food allergies, this is going to get more boring than above. I’m not celiac. I’m allergic to wheat. So, I can’t tell you if I’m cross contaminated or “glutened” I can taste wheat, but if there is a smidge of hidden wheat, I won’t know for a day or so. Okay, given that. The hotel was absolutely amazing. I communicated with the Food and Bev Manager prior to arrival. He placed in my profile that I’m gluten free. After giving the staff our room number they would always discuss or double check our order for gluten. They even bothered to mention their fries were fried in oil that had fried wheat. Luckily for me, it’s not an issue. It was so sweet! I felt like they really cared and were extremely attentive to my needs. If you suffer from celiac, you know how special this is. They were able to modify the menu. They had a yummy gluten free bread available at any time. They were just wonderful about it and it made the trip fun. The 4 Seasons is fabulous at preparing food at odd times. We like green veggies in the AM. “My pleasure” was the response. Lovely! The food at the resort is tasty. We enjoyed the fine dining restaurant two nights. It was lovely.

Vaitape Restaurants… I would just ask a lot of questions. “Is it grilled, are there marinades? Soy Sauce?” and adjust what I ordered without trying to educated with language barriers, etc. I feel great and had so much to eat. There is so much fruit and white rice around. I don’t expect to eat as healthy as I do at home. Finding a whole grain could prove challenging. But trust me, no one makes better French Fries than the French! I gained 6 pounds, all worth it.

After all that nitpicking about the bungalow… I actually loved it. It’s the gym I’m sad about… in a word? Sucks. The floor is so slippery it’s dangerous. It’s billed as open air, which will depend on how much politicking one wants to do with honeymooners enjoying 65 degree air conditioning with the doors closed. (I love a warm gym). The equipment might be fine for some, but I’m not a fan of most cardio equipment. I’m used to ARC trainers, bosu balls, step (not machine), and doing lunges in place. The slippery floor and lack of equipment nixed my plan. They have a jump rope which is not typical and a saving grace. Okay, and, one bench for a gym full of 15+ people? No room at all. I’m really surprised because the crowd is quite young and fit and although I’m not likely to do the 2 ½ hours a day I will at home, an hour first thing in the morning is key to a happy wife.

The Spa is teeny tiny (one toilet) and it’s advisable to book a few months in advance. I was able to squeak in a massage. The Polynesian technique was wonderful. My therapist was professional, talented, and very sweet.

The grounds are conducive to a lovely walk. We walked the resort frequently. We walked all the pontoons, the grounds with the lots for sale, etc. It’s pretty and full of beautiful views and trees. Easy to get around with signs and such. The only complaint someone might have is how long of a walk one might experience if they’re in the 300-400 wing of pontoons. I think the views are better there? Not too sure. We were on the other pontoon, 100 wing. We still had a walk, but were happy about it as we’re cardio junkies. We noticed a lot of other guests calling for rides. There is so much to do there. Badminton, Tennis, or sneak into the Teen Island Lounge and play with their video games, ha ha!

Transportation is what it is. Okay, upon arrival at the airport we met the Four Seasons staff at their booth who gave us a lei greeting and helped with luggage and then we boarded a boat full of other guests. The boat ride is beautiful. Then we were met at the lobby and whisked away on a golf cart with another couple. We waited while they were checked in to their room. Then we were taken to ours. The check-in procedure is strange. They actually write down the entire credit card number. I really don’t appreciate this. It’s a huge weak point in security. I’m sure they “Do their utmost to…” bla bla bla. But seriously, it’s 2010, they need a better way to keep track of things. This handwriting or imprinting must stop. I would rather the check-in procedure be at the front desk and with a swipe so the staff cannot view the numbers. We’ve had our credit card numbers stolen and used so much after big trips like this where they “do their utmost to ensure our security…” . We’ll see what happens this time. Nothing so far!

We took a scheduled boat to Vaitape. We had a sashimi lunch at Bloody Mary’s and then decided to go shopping when we realized we were going to miss our boat if the store didn’t hurry up and finish the mountains of paperwork required for taxes. The store offered to give us a ride back in their boat. (Smart jewelry store) and we stayed in town another hour and went to Bora Bora Home. YOU MUST SHOP THERE! (A word about shopping in Polynesia. If you do duty free, they all handwrite the credit card number down in case you didn’t file the papers correctly at the airport. This credit card number thing drives me crazy. We have a spare card we use for public reasons, ready to cancel at a moments notice. But, it’s unnerving to have to keep replacing credit cards once they’re compromised. I will say, we’ve had good luck so far, no calls. )

We then took the public boat again from 4 Seasons to Vaitape to town for dinner. We scheduled a private boat back because 6:45 to 9:45… what the heck were we going to do for all that time? There’s nothing to do in Vaitape, and we’re early risers, and we don’t drink. ? Soooo glad we did. The gentleman who took us back were both great! Then took us again a few nights later. Lovely Polynesian guys, can’t remember their names. Super nice and professional. It was very romantic to be on our private boat whisked away at sunset. My husband mentioned that there was some confusion about our asking for private transfers. We are happy to pay for such a service, but for some reason the bookings had to go through management and our regular concierge, Eric, wasn’t making the booking. So, I think there may have been some confusion or language barrier? Not sure what happened there. However, in the end the Four Seasons of course came through for us and we were totally thrilled.

Wow did you really read all that? So, all in all, If my big problems in life are being bothered by a small slippery gym, a missing sewing kit, and having to trust people with my credit card number while on a trip of al lifetime to Bora Bora in the sun, the wonderful sea, the super friendly people, the best fish in the world… Life’s pretty darn good! We’re looking forward to next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
11  Thank snorkelworkel

Reviewed 17 May 2011

This hotel is meant to be a lazy around and not really leave it so much. So don't plan a long vacation here, because you will get bored. 5 or 6 nights is perfect. The rooms are spacious. Big suite with huge living room, bedroom, closets and bathroom. We had an over the water bungalow- which faced the resort and I could see both the resort and across from the resort. You do not need to pay more to face the mountain- its a waste. Our view had its own little island out from it. Our deck was nice sized and had snorkeling gear all ready to go! Yes we came across a few little critters in our room- but hey - you are out over the water and on a tropical island.. its bound to happen anywhere. No biggie. The resort itself was nice. They had their own little area for snorkeling - just like the st. regis does. Its nice because you do not have to worry about any sharks or anything getting in b/c its netted off from the main water. There are MANY beautiful fish and such in here. The coolest thing I found was a squid. All the way at the back near where the spa was. That was awesome. It looked just like in super mario at the water levels. :) Food- Not the best but it didnt bother me. It was ok and definitely edible. The best thing was that breakfast had such a large spread you could get anything you want. I expected better, but who knows.. maybe French Polynesia is not know for food (read reviews of other restaurants, and I dont believe it is). What was fabulous at this place were the drinks. But they are over $20 each for a mojito so that can add up fast! They have a great wine selection also.

We also went to the Polynesian show. That was fun. You sit at a large table and get to mix and mingle with other guests. Little did I know - that was the first and only time you really get to mix and mingle.

The pool is great. When I was there they were attentive to your needs. Always asked if we needed something like every 30 minutes or hour.... They brought around free shots to people at the pool... some island rum sorta thing... nothing to get you drunk.. but good to wet your whistle. They also have a private beach which is super nice too.

Free kayaks and unmotorized sports were right there for us to use anytime. We paddled ourselves to the main island, but when we got there- there was nothing really to see or do, and we walked around a little bit but it was boring. Then we paddled to the St. Regis where we walked around. That place was just as nice as the four seasons, and they have a restaurant over the water that looked cool-- but we were not dressed to eat there.

My only complaint - they make you pay to get a shuttle to the main island. They have like one free one a day..... Really? So I come all the way to this island and Im stuck at the Four Seasons unless I want to paddle myself over to the St. Regis or pay $100 each time I want to go on a 5 minute boat ride? They need to come up with another system, because that is ridiculous.

Overall it was perfect because it was my honeymoon and I did not really want to to much other than hang out and relax - which that is all there is to do there, so it was perfect. Oh and I have been all over the World to beaches, and this is BY FAR the most perfect water that I have ever seen! The land around the main island keeps all of the big waves and crazy water and animals out- so the water is perfect, clean, and the most beautiful.

Room Tip: It all seems perfect!
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DebyAZ
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I went for my honeymoon to Bora Bora and loved every bit of it... I googled a lot about this place and read reviews on TA before narrowing it down to Four Seasons. I was not disappointment one bit. This was the first time I was staying at Four Seasons and I was super excited. I had booked "Short Package" for 4 nights, which included both breakfast and lunch. At the airport, Four Seasons staff greeted us with water, garland, cold towel and this amazing boat to take us to the resort. We checked into our Beach View OWB. The room was just absolutely brilliant and the view was just amazing.. This one was just close to paradise.

The staff were very helpful and always smiling. The hospitality surpassed that of any other hotel I have been to. They arranged for us to go for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling and various other activities. The itinerary comes to your room for your confirmation the previous day .

The food is good. I thought there would be some difficulty, since I'm a vegeterian. But there was a separate vegetarian menu. The spa here is the BEST... I just can't stop raving about Bora Bora and about this property. I had to travel 35 hours to reach Bora Bora and I wouldn't mind going all over again to stay at this place :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PriyaSuri
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Let me start off by saying that my husband and I were four seasons SNOBS. Almost every vacation prior to our honeymoon was at a four seasons, and we were thrilled with the service. As we are looking to book our next vacation, and I am reading others comments on their hotel stays, I found it necessary to share our experience with the Bora Bora Four seasons; we like to call it the honeymoon from hell!!

After a few long & some short flights/boat rides, we finally arrived at the Four seasons bora bora. We were so thrilled to finally be married, and to be staying in paradise. We checked into our overwater bungalow, where there was a fruit plate with bugs awaiting us. We decided to ignore it, since our flights were somewhat delayed - and who wants to start complaining about things on their honeymoon?! we just wanted to enjoy ourselves! We unpacked our bags, and went to call for someone to come pick up the fruit plate, so that we wouldn't have more bugs. As we were moving the tray outside, two large roaches ran from under the tray! When we went to go find them, we were unable to, but found a dead one under the desk. GROSS! We called and asked them to change rooms, and it took over two hours for them to get us a new room.

The next two days were fine - we explored the resort, sat by the pool/beach, played tennis, set up activities for our upcoming days, had spa treatments, etc. I would say that the services/amenities were fine; nothing extraordinary. Food was not that great. and the staff was never around, and never tending to any of the guests; which we found extremely surprising for a four seasons. Especially for one in such a luxurious location!

On our third day, we went to the pool, and ordered lunch to a cabana. My husband and I decided to share a few things (i don't even recall what everything was at this point), including the goat cheese pizza. We both thought it tasted a little funky - like there was a weird oil on the pizza, and stopped eating it. That was at about 2:00. At 5:00, we went to play tennis, and I told my husband that I was feeling a little off. I asked if he was feeling faint/dizzy, and he said no. We played for a little longer, and then I told him i needed to go lie down.

We cancelled our dinner reservations, and ordered in room service instead. At this point, I REALLY started to feel bad. At 8:30, I started throwing up. I thought that maybe I just had a little bug. But I continued to throw up every 15 - 45 minutes. By 10:30, it only got worse, and my husband called the front desk. The receptionist barely spoke english, and we had to speak to three people for someone to finally understand that we needed a doctor. The doctor came at 12am, barely spoke english, gave me a shot and some prescriptions for antibiotics, and told me that I should stop throwing up within thirty minutes (and the cost was $1,000). 12:45 rolled around, and I was still hugging the toilet. Then at 2:30am, my husband goes running to the bathroom, and starts throwing up. We called the front desk again, and no one answered for 45 minutes. 45 MINUTES!!! I then had to try to explain that we needed the doctor to come back, while running back and forth to the toilet/sink (my husband and I were fighting for them at this point, since we were both now throwing up). At 6am, the doctor came back and gave my husband a shot, and brought with him the antibiotics, and another bill for $1000. I still continued to throw up until about 10:30am, and my husband did until about 1pm. We spent the next 24 hours in bed drinking water and taking our antibiotics. we then decided to try and order some bread and soup, and both threw up again after eating. At this point, we realized that we weren't going to get the medical attention necessary, and our trip was wasting away as it was (as well as the thousands of dollars we were spending each night + the $2000 for the doctor), and decided to leave early. We went to the front desk to tell them about our situation, and they told us that they wouldn't charge us for the two days we were forgoing on our reservation by leaving early. THANKS FOR NOTHING! For getting us sick (we didn't eat anywhere else besides the four seasons), and for the doctors bills, I would have expected a lot more. my husband then flipped out at the woman behind the desk, and she told us that we would have to take it up with four seasons corporate.

We went to our dr's when we returned home, and they said that it sounded like we had e. coli, and we are lucky that we stopped eating the goat cheese pizza when we did. We called the four seasons corporate to complain, and they told us that we could have two free nights at the Bora Bora to make up for our troubles. As if we would ever go back!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
236  Thank travelsnob21
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Many of you travel often so I list my qualifications only as a point of reference. I fly 400k miles a year, and spend 90-100 nights away from home. I stay at all types of hotels along the way but admit I have frequented several Four Seasons properties. As a consultant that teaches and recognizes the value and benefits of good processes, it is very hard to rival the Four Seasons hotels with others when it comes to creating a guest experience that is consistent and delightful. The Four Seasons Bora Bora surprises you by truly providing the "Wow" experience--particularly in a part of the world where prompt and attentive service can compete with "island time" cultures.
I was in communication with the hotel weeks before arriving via e-mail and the staff literally helped book some of my final travel details. The airport check in and staff were very attentive and the private boat launch to the hotel was 5 star. The personal greeting and personal reception staff awaited us in the lobby, and all the other guests were synonymously checked in and made to feel important. We were offered an upgrade to twice the room category for a nominal charge, to a over water plunge pool bungalow which we gladly accepted. The room was exquisitely appointed and three different amenities were sent to the room, in welcome and in celebration of our anniversary. Everyone seemed to know about this being our first return to Bora Bora since our honeymoon. Impressive team communication, I'd say.
Our stay was wonderful and i would highly suggest you request a private motu for a day. the concierge will take care of all of it. We spent the day all alone, cooler filled with beverages and lunch, snorkeling, sunbathing and being completely alone (yeah, you get the picture) and it was a highlight of the trip.
I'm not sure how much of our success on this trip was due to Sonia, the Executive Assistant to the GM, but I'm guessing a good part of it. She was the contact that literally saw to much of our trip and i would highly recommend you search her out. She is clearly properly employed in the hospitality industry. Thank you, Sonia, for your attentive and spoiling nature. My last memory of this great trip was the reception staff and Sonia, waving good bye to us as we left on the private boat launch back to the reality of the airport. This property, in all areas---food, rooms, service and friendly staff is a home run on the four seasons line up. We will be back to enjoy it again.

Room Tip: Bungalows on end are closer to boat traffic, fyi.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Gilbeez
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Bora, Bora is, without a doubt, the most beautiful place in the world and The Four Seasons is truly amazing! There is nothing lacking at this resort! The overwater bungalows are incredible! Even though there are about 50 of them, each of them are very private and separate from one another. It seem as though you are alone at The Resort. The staff is great. The food is marvelous! The clarity of water is remarkable and the colors all over the island are beyond words. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been! The snorkeling is awesome! The water is so peaceful, no waves. You can jump into the ocean from the back of your bungalow. It is a long flight, but it is more than worth it. This is one place you have to see and even though The Four Seasons is a little bit expensive there is no better place to stay in Bora, Bora!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RAM07
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Fantastic view of the famous mountain and the sunset. Awoke every morning to a view of the beautiful aqua of the lagoon and view of Mt. Otemanu. Paying for the mountain view room was worth it. Well laid out floor plan and spacious bungalow, tastefully furnished with a Polynesian influence.

Everyone was very friendly; smiling, greeting us, surprised us multiple times by calling us by name.

The whole tone was peaceful, tranquil, relaxed.

Sure there were some minor glitches - no turn down service one night, no water available at the tennis court two days in a row, keys not working one day, no t.v. reception for a day and a half and then again on another day, a washing machine that wouldn't work and a dryer that wouldn't dry. Were those enough to spoil a vacation? No way - minor inconveniences. Was that acceptable for a Four Seasons? Probably not, we've never stayed at one before, would have expected a little better.

One thing that I do not recall reading about in anyone else's comments is the very strange way the mini bar works. It is empty upon arrival and one must order things from the menu to stock it. The drawback is that things are only sold in quantities of 6. So you must order a 6-pack of tonic water at 30 dollars, or 6 bags of chips, or 6 cookies - everything priced quite expensively. You pay for it when you order it, so you need to be committed to consuming 6 of whatever it is. (Exception to the minimum order of 6 pieces, was the liquor - large bottles sold individually, Grey Goose about $200). None the less, I found this rather inconvenient.

I needed a doctor one day. That was handled marvelously by the hotel. One arrived at our room in 2 hours with the appropriate medication in hand. Approximately $300, worth it.

One thing we found out of character for a 5 star property was that they charge to pick you up at the airport or to take you into town. It seems quite "cheap" of them. Do they really need that $15.00 or so? It was really just the principal of the thing - for a luxury resort, include it in, don't nickel and dime the guests - bury the cost in the room rate. In our minds it was the equivalent of a cruise ship that can't dock - do they charge for the tender?

The only thing we were disappointed in was the lack of visible fish from our overwater bungalow, and the lack of snorkeling right off your own deck. We were expecting what we had experienced in Moorea three years ago - fantastic swimming and snorkeling right off our own deck and a parade of tropical fish right under our glass floor. The hotel actually advises against snorkeling off your deck - there is a sign in four languages warning about the strong currents and winds in the lagoon. They do provide life jackets. I just wish we had known this beforehand - not that we would have altered our plans, maybe nowhere in Bora Bora is there great snorkeling in the lagoon, I don't know - I just like to know the downside in advance and not arrive expecting something and then be disappointed. (Why do they have those glass panels in the floor?)

The grounds were extensive, well laid out, and well kept up. Walking to see the wild open ocean with the crashing waves is well worth it. The whole resort has fantastic views around every curve.

The tennis court was wonderful. Most days someone would bring us cold water - a most welcome treat - one that we came to rely on - so the two days there was no water available left us parched and unprepared.

The restaurants had a nice ambiance and the food was good. Don't bother with the steak - if you are used to what we get in the states, this does not live up to ours in either tenderness nor taste. We did wish that they varied the menu in their nicer restaurant, Ari Moana. It got a little repetitive after a while. I wished they had a cheese plate offered on their dessert menu. At the buffet restaurant, Tere Nui, they had cheese offered which makes a nice treat, rather than a sweet. The breakfast buffet was nice.

I don't wish to sound like I am complaining, we'd go again. (Actually we might go back to Moorea next time.)

Room Tip: Mountain view overwater bungalow worth the money.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple