“The Amazing Conclusion to A Perfect Honeymoon”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This hotel was absolutely perfect. We stayed 4 days and 3 nights for our honeymoon and everything was beyond our expectations. First- the room was gorgeous. It was very large as advertised and everything was new and clean. The housekeeping kept it that way. I loved the big tub that you could open the doors and feel like you are taking a bath in the ocean. Also flat screen TV with DVD player was so nice.

Loved the sunset bar and the sushi they served there. Also loved the polynesian BBQ night which included steak, lamb, chicken, baked potatos, all kinds of great food. The steak at Ari Moana was very good.

The drinks were delicious at the pool bar and I loved the signature cocnut drink. The maitre d' at the pool learned our names and went above and beyond to be sure we were always happy and with food and drinks.

We did a couples massage at the spa- that was amazing! Behind the spa if you leave the resort there is a really area with rocks, and it is gorgeous around sunset!

Oliver the marine biologist was so friendly and taught us all about the fish- having the lagoon area was fantastic! There was even a pool table, ping pong table, and computer center by the lagoon for guests to use after snorkeling.

For excursions we booked through the hotel a private boat to do shark feeding and sting ray feeding. It was worth every penny. The hotel organized everything perfectly and the excursion itself was unbelievable!

Finally the grounds were immaculate which was to be expected at a four seasons- it never felt crowded at all. We would return in a heartbeat- and if we go back to bora-Bora we will likely stay even longer!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYCGirl5201
Write a ReviewReviews (2,992)

Reviewed 12 November 2010

We just got back from the FS in Bora Bora 11-9-10. We did not want to leave.
Our over the water bungalow was fantastic and very comfortable. Turn down service every night was excellent with free bottled water, fresh towels, and cleaning of the bathroom again.
The food was excellent at both the buffets and the Arii Moana. The buffet had quite a bit of different choices every day unlike the other place we stayed at on Moorea. The only thing that was confusing was the restaurants were not open every day like the information provided to us said. The buffet and Arii Moana switched off every other day.
All of the staff in every department were very friendly and eager to accommodate their guests, unlike the other "luxury" hotel we stayed at on Moorea.
This was a once in a lifetime trip for us and we only wish we had stayed our entire time at the Four Seasons instead of splitting it between Bora Bora and Moorea.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly R
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We spent 8 days at this hotel from October 11 to 18. We are both 40 years old, and were not celebrating anything special. This is a beautiful hotel, and most staff were helpful and accommodating. However, I don’t truly feel the cost of this hotel is compatible with the quality of service and food.

We ended up in a beachfront room and it was very close to the restaurants/reception. They didn’t originally honour my written request to be closer to the resort (due to a foot injury) and instead, had us in the farthest pontoon area. I had to request this again upon arrival, and they spent an hour or so trying to find us something closer. I just feel that for a hotel of this level, they should be paying attention to a request like this (that was sent by myself and by my TA in advance). And they originally had us in a resort view, even though we booked with a preferred partner and were to receive a complimentary upgrade. But once we brought it to their attention, they agreed to find us something else.

First, the rooms are beautiful, and generally speaking, well-designed. The living room area didn’t get used at all, so I would recommend that the larger TV be put the in bedroom area. The bathroom was strangely awkward, and the tub was completely hilarious. I’m 5 foot 2 and almost got lost in it. It was just too big to relax in and the water gets cold too quickly. I was surprised by the eco-friendly attempt at ceramic refillable shampoo and conditioners. I didn’t really like these, and was worried I was going to drop them on my toe and break it. Also, for $1000 per night, would it hurt them to provide small bottles of shampoo, really? It came across as cheap (not eco) and was completely inconsistent with the surplus of plastic water bottles/and small ketchup containers, etc. around the hotel. The Four Seasons beds are really the best beds we have ever slept in, and are considering buying one for our home. We had the biggest issue with daily housekeeping, as they typically forgot face clothes, or bottled water, or beach towels. We called every day to ask for face clothes, and by the 6th day it was getting very frustrating. At no point did they provide any reasonable explanation about the lack of face clothes, but they continued to bother us with follow up calls, and apology letters. I don’t want this kind of hassle on vacation, I just want to relax. It’s really a simple request to provide face clothes.

The resort was very well kept and the gardeners do a fabulous job of maintaining the look of the resort. The spa was very nice, and the treatment was about average. The best part of the spa was the waiting/relaxation lounge that had beds and blankets and a stunning view.

Overall the food was okay, but not great. The buffet breakfast was good, but did get a big tiring after 8 days. I was generally okay with abundance of flies around the buffet area, but I can see how this would bother people. They should consider plastic covers for the breads/fruits. I most enjoyed my morning cappuccino and really excellent croissants. The head manager of the buffet was a lovely man named Sebastian, and he made our mornings more enjoyable by chatting with us.

We ate several nights at Sunset Bar for a more causal experience, twice for room service (good lamb), and once at Arii Moana. Overall, we were not setting the bar too high for our food expectations, but in the end we were really disappointed.

Our server at the Sunset Bar was named Tatu. He was by far the best and most enthusiastic server we had the entire week. We really can’t fault the service here. What we can fault is the quality of food and just overall expense. It’s difficult to justify $33 US for a 6 piece California roll. No matter how you add it, even if you tripled the cost, this is just way too expensive. And the complimentary pre-drink snacks of stale potato chips was just laughable. Really, how difficult would it be to bring in some cocktail nuts.

Overall ,we did some really great excursions (Moana Tours and Reef Discovery with Christophe) and had pretty decent weather. The staff were gracious and welcoming and this could be a really excellent hotel with some minor changes. Will we return to this hotel in the future … probably yes, but at $17K for an 11 day vacation, we will wait a few years.

3  Thank kates70
Reviewed 25 October 2010

fantastic from start to finish. amazing rooms with amazing views, outstanding service, really great snorkeling in their private lagoon with marine biologist. he let us feed and touch the fish/octopus/coral. several great restaurants, although not as good as villa mahana and not as cool/unique as bloody mary's. fitness center is great. service on the beach is great. very quiet, not a place to go for you energetic couples of families with teens.

1  Thank beichenberg
Reviewed 24 October 2010

First, it was our honeymoon and the trip was absolutely AMAZING! The hotel is the best in the world! We stayed in a bungalow over the water and it was truly incredible! Rooms are IMMACULATE! This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in my life. Nothing will ever beat it…they change the sheets and towels like 3 times a day…that give you water by your bed every night…they set your coffee and espresso machine up every night…Everyone is SO NICE! Also they have free washer and dryer which was super nice! We had breakfast and dinner included in the package and it was unbelievable!! The food is amazing!!! For those who love to snorkel the water is not as clear as the island of Moorea. They do have a lagoon to snorkel in that is neat, but not nearly as good as the natural feeling in Moorea. You can only snorkel so long in their lagoon because its small. They do have neat fish in there…saw eel and octopus and a ton of gorgeous fish! Everything is super expensive at the hotel so be prepared. Only thing I can criticize is there is no free Wi-Fi which is sad this day and age. Other than that it’s truly from a fairy tale. It may be the prettiest place on earth as far as ocean dwelling! If I had to compare it between Moorea I would say Moorea is better for snorkeling and Bora Boras view of the mountain is WAY prettier and better for just relaxing and lounging.

1  Thank flightkid
Reviewed 24 October 2010

If you are wondering if you should "splurge" for this resort, we did and it was well worth it! Our time there was amazing. We enjoyed ourselves so much ~ the hotel staff was wonderful (even helped with finding our lost pair of eye glasses!), and the activities, dining, spa and ambiance; all an incredible experience.

Our over the water bungalow was spacious with room to unpack everything in our suitcases. Hanging closets, storage drawers, and enough space in the bathroom for toiletries. So no living out of the suitcase for our last 6 nights in heaven.

We really searched for help in all sorts of ways, to get this trip planned and found a gem of a gal, Donna Salerno Travel that helped with every detail. From our roundtrip air, stays on the other islands and tours to boot, and helping to arrange our spa treatments at the FS Bora Bora, she did it all.

The spa here is fantastic - we both had the Earth and Sea Scrub and a facial. it was relaxing and invigorating. The spa itself is a haven of its own. The staff are eager to please and take their time with your treatments.

Dining here was gourmet. I'm glad we chose to include breakfasts and dinners included with our stay. We ate at a couple of local restaurants for lunch, but the different dining options at the resort were better - plentiful and tasteful.

The resort beach was wonderful - great to go snorkeling/swimming or just kick back and relax under a palm tree. The pool area was a little busy at times, but there were more than enough chaise lounge chairs for space; in between the small groups of people.

We included several island activities and they were all fun. The island tour really gave us a feel of the history and culture of French Polynesia.

It's the whole ambiance of this resort that is amazing - you really feel like you hit paradise in every way!

4  Thank Colton_Travels
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Ok, perhaps my wife and I are high maintenance but we have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and this one just does not measure up. Granted the location is visually stunning but the hotel, service, food and overall experience left us VERY disappointed. We have stayed at many Four Seasons resorts and this one needs work (Costa Rica blows this place away). Let me start with what was good about it.

1. The location is beautiful and the overall grounds are well kept.
2. The rooms over the water are pretty (but there is nothing spectacular about them)
3. It is very peaceful and you will be very well rested after a trip here
4. Swimming off the house is unique and the water is great (but extremely salty)

That sums up the good. Here is the bad.

1. The food here is terrible. My wife and I ate at the restaurants, had room service, and even ate at the pool. You options are limited as you are in a fairly remote area of Tahiti so leaving the hotel to dine elsewhere is not particularly easy. We were there for 10 nights and could not wait to get away from the food. Both of us got sick from different things on the menu - from both room service and the restaurant. In fact, as we left we met a gentlemen on our boat who made the exact same complaint about the food. Maybe it was a bad week - but for a 5 star hotel to have such bad food it is really inexcusable.

2. The spa is a joke. Again, my wife and I have stayed in many great hotels with great spas. This spa is ridiculous. To have a changing area that size of a large closet with 1 sink and 1 shower for everyone to use automatically disqualifies you from being a top spa. Add to that the treatments my wife and I got were worse than an average treatment in a day spa in NYC. The heavy oils they use leave you feeling like you were dropped in a vat of margarine and then rubbed down for good measure. During one of the massages my wife got, the guy doing the massage actually hurt her neck and she was in pain for 2 days. Nice.

3. The grounds while visually attractive are not spectacular. We really expected that the grounds and rooms would be truly unique. While the rooms are not bad, I was in no way impressed by the amenities. The rooms were a bit on the small side in my opinion and the furnishings were very plain and simple. Nothing about the rooms said Four Seasons or a 5 star hotel. Perhaps being over the water was supposed to be enough - but for the price - not cutting it.

4. The service was mediocre at best. Most of the staff are locals and did not seem to be well trained to work at 5 star hotels. The service was generally slow and there was definitely a bit of an attitude with how it was delivered (subtle, but there). We often had to call house keeping more than 2 times a day to get someone to clean our room. We were shocked with how bad the overall service was for a Four Seasons.

5. This probably is not fair - but there is literally nothing to do at this hotel. So, if you ignore this review then I would recommend you stay less than 1 week. You will be well rested but maybe with food poisoning. Staying longer than a week - you will be bored out of your mind. And, we did everything the hotel had to offer.

So, in summary - don't waste your money on this hotel. You would be better off going to Four Seasons in Costa Rica which is spectacular and has terrific service (perhaps its the culture). All-in-all, I want my money back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple