“Fantastic place!”

Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've been to this little pub/restaurant a few times and after returning there recently I was not disappointed again. I normally have one of the curries as they are always delicious (if you can handle you're spicy curries!). This time i opted for one of the steaks and it was exceptionally good, cooked perfectly and well seasoned. Always good customer service and the bar staff are especially friendly. I shall definitely be returning to this charming little tavern.

2  Thank TrystanDavies89

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We ate in the Royal Oak on Saturday the 12th of July. The bar and the restaurant were busy with food. We were a table of ten and had a great evening. Most of the group had curries and all of them were really impressed by the quality and quantity of the food at a very reasonable price. The menu is extensive with something for all tastes. I always want to try the fresh battered fish and chips but end up going for the curry time and time again. Staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout the evening.
Great pub and pleasant atmosphere. Well done and thank you. We will be back.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Pleasant locals pub with a reputation for curry. As it says on the menu "You wont be disappointed" and we were not! Wide range of food available so good for families with children. Unfortunately no dogs allowed but a good covered seating area outside.

1  Thank Gareth H
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I've just had the most shockingly awful customer service experience in The Royal Oak in Newport Pembs - the curry served to my wife was hideously over spiced with cloves so we asked the staff to change it. When faced with a further 50 mins wait for the replacement dish, we asked for a refund. The manager went to speak to the owner/chef Dean who it turns out had made the gopping dish - the answer came back as no refund and the owner wouldn't come to speak to us; if I wanted to speak to him I'd have to go to the kitchen door. On doing this, I was told he might come out in 15 mins - unacceptable!! When I finally got his attention, he was rude, arrogant and spoke to me in a belligerent manner, stating it was my opinion that the food was bad and that he didn't care if I didn't like it.

Disgusting customer service - we will never return here.

One star is too much for this restaurant.

1  Thank Guarboy
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Doesn't deserve any stars.
Dreadful customer service after a really horrible meal. I am shocked that a restaurant chef/owner could be so rude. Avoid this place!
Just had a horrific experience at this pub - Dean the owner (and chef) was rude beyond belief after I complained that my curry was overwhelmingly tasting of cloves to the point of me not being able to eat it. He refused to speak to us, his staff were clearly embarrassed of his behaviour and his refusal to refund the meal. After my husband waited as he was too busy to speak with him (but wouldn't let his manager or staff sort the issue) and eventually had to go to the kitchen to speak to him (he wouldn't then come out of the kitchen) he said it was it was our opinion only and accused us of trying to get a free meal! Unfortunately having to pay upfront means that he can get away with keeping our money when the meal he cooked was terrible. So disappointed as have eaten here for years and was looking forward to a one of their curries tonight even knowing their reputation for slow service - tonight no different at 45 mins wait but we didn't mind waiting if it was going to be worth it. It wasn't worth it and we won't ever return. Truly awful.

2  Thank Treloweth W