“Very good place but with some problems”

El Malikia Resort Abu Dabbab
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
hungary
“Very good place but with some problems”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Abu Dabbab with its sandy bay and coral reef with two kind sea turtles gives a unique emplacement to the hotel.
As to the hotel let's see the positive things first:
- very nice building
- helpful service most of the time
- very nice and big pools
- very good beach bar with different drinks, food and ice cream
- very good food in the main restaurant, very good coffee in the morning at breakfast
The negative things:
- the hotel is "worn out" with fading colors and as the state of the paths
- the cleaning (ex. sweeping the rooms especially in the corners9, the sweeping of corridors at the rooms and on the paths
- the picking up of garbage outside the rooms is not done, you have broken bulbs, paper glasses and other garbage left for months I suppose
- one or two of the waiters very unfriendly
- they cannot respect eating times, being unable to open the main restaurant on time
- THE WORST for us was some uneducated very bad mannered slovaque, polish and a few russian guests, I have never seen so much of them in one hotel though it was our fifth travel to Egypt, Red Sea : they could not behave in the restaurant, touching and pressing down the turtles as they were coming up to have some air though there were sign everywhere that it was prohibited by law. Many women (not the cutest!) were in topless, on the sunbed and also walking around the beach though there was a prohibition for that also - and let's not forget that this is an arabic country!!!
As to our personal experience we had the bad luck that our luggage has been lost (it reappeared after 2,5 days) so we weren't in a good mood. I asked for a room near the beach and they wanted to give one very far, the corridor full of garbage (+broken chairs etc... thrown out) and near a very noisy building (a transformer or something). I had the luck to find the division manager who was very nice and finally we had a family room near the beach with a big terrace. After a few days I noticed that the 3 biggest banknotes (different currencies: swiss francs and euro) were missing from my purse that was in our suitcase locked as the safe was not working. I preferred not to tell it at the reception as I didn't have any proof and I didn't want to accuse anybody. The evening before our very early departure for the next morning, 2 persons from the staff came to check the minibar. I have never seen such a thing and we were nearly asleep. At the end of our 2 weeks stay we asked for a "lunch bag" for next day as we had to leave at 5 in the morning. I went to the reception twice!! they alway told me that it was OK and we will have it automatically but in the morning they said we don't have (at the back of the reception I counted 9 bags!). I couldn't accept it so after a few phone calls from the receptionist we had our bags. These are little things but they do not have a good impact on your mood.
So this was not our most successful trip to Egypt but the emplacement is fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank beabrigi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
LONDON
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have just returned from a two-week holiday at that hotel. Initially I was a bit apprehensive to go to the hotel having read one or two negative reviews on tripadvisor. I need not have worried. The hotel is excellent, the location and the bay is excellent. The reef is teeming with life and every day we snorkelled we saw different fish species. We were also extremely lucky to see a Dudong and every day we snorkelled we saw turtles and swam with them.
The staff in the hotel are been very helpful and always very polite. The food is very good with excellent pastries. The menu is varied and caters for every tastes. Fresh fruit is plentiful even provided on the beach. The entertainment staff are very active and if you have children they will be well looked after. The Hotel cleanliness is excellent. The rooms are very comfortable with an efficient air conditioning. The bathroom is clean and functional.
I have seen ratings of three stars for this hotel, I totally disagree this hotel is at the least 4 star.I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.
David ANTEBI

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DAVID A
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Average overall standard but very nice food, fabulous cakes and sweets. If you are vegetarian, don't worry, you definitely won't starve. However, organisation in the main restaurant could be improved as there was always a bit of queuing during dinner time. Sometimes it was also difficult to find a table to sit, especially after new 'batch' of people arrived. Restaurant staff was always very efficient and helpful.

Nice beach bar with good food and nice, quick staff, lots of drinks, etc. Nothing to complain about.

Clean and well-maintained (at least my room). When I discovered that balcony door lock is broken, they sent someone to mend it asap. However, front desk staff is not always up to standards, initially I had some problem with prolonging my room, was asked to come back later twice, I didn't get the impression they tried to be very helpful.

Remember to bring some dollars or exchange them into LE and remember the exchange rate -- there's a machine in the lobby that works both as an ATM and currency exchange. Sadly, I could not pay for my Internet access and room with credit card -- had to withdraw money (front staff clerk stated that the terminal is broken and he might accept only cash), pay in LE and did not receive any receipt afterwards.

Last but not least: the location is absolutely awesome, if you don't stay in one of Abu Dabbab gulf hotels, you need to pay for entrance. Both sides of the reef are amazing, the turtles visit every day. If it's not very windy, snorkelling should be easy even for beginners. You can also go snorkelling/diving to Gebel Rosas near Oriental Bay (strongly recommend!) or some other diving centre in the vicinity.

Would recommend to anyone who's after diving/snorkelling, but if you expect high comfort, check Hilton -- it's on the opposite side of the bay and, surprisingly, is not much more expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
SolYMar A, Manager at El Malikia Resort Abu Dabbab, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear our Valuable Guest,
Greetings from Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab Marsa Alam
Kindly we sincerely hope that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we have enjoyed your presence
With us and you had a very comfort and safely flight back home.
We hope that you have been satisfied, and enjoyed which will encourage you to come back to
Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
We wish that the entire world could share your positive impressions with you
All Best wishes and Regards from Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab team
Yours Sincerely
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I am Mina Soliman an Egyptian customer who has visited Sol Y Mar for 6 nights 7 days, I will write the true story about the place.
I have made an early checked in on the 2nd of June it was around 10:30 am we received our rooms at 11:00 am after travelling all the way to Marsa Alam you will need to take a bath once you get there so I entered the bathroom to take my bath an unfortunately there was no towels in the bath!!! First impression. I called the front office asking for towels, “max 5 mins and you will receive them” fine answer. Till 12 noon and we were waiting for the towels with no action from the hotel side. So I walked till the front office asking to talk with the manger of the hotel 15 mins later a person came to me telling me that he is the manger I told him what happened and the reply was that this is due an early check in… in my mind I said this is a 5 stars hotel not 2. And he told me 5 mins and you will receive the towels in your room, and finally at 12:30 I was able to take my shower LOL.
One thing I would advise you to do before you go there is to read the fact sheet on their website to know all your rights. Because not everything written is given so that was the second problem where I decided to take the issue to the upper management “Jaz Hotels, Resorts and Cruises” so I called them and asked to speak to a manager where I found a fast respond from the marketing and sales manager where I told him everything from once I have checked in till that time. I would really like to take the chance to thank him his name was Mr. Hany as he took the case and spoke with the hotel. After few mins I found someone looking for me in the hotel while I was sitting on the pool as we where the only Egyptian family there and he told me that he is the manger of the hotel. At that time I was lost as he is not the same person who I meet as first. His name is Mr. Atef I would also like to thank him for all his help during my stay.
The hotel its self is a great place, the staff are all helpful except two people who were looking at us as … I don’t know just because we are Egyptian we were getting a different treatment “worst”.
I wish Mr. Atef would be able to change the way people are dealing with Egyptian as its our own country maybe not many people visit those place as for the cost, but it should be an honor for the place that there are Egyptian customer checking in their hotel.

Mina Soliman

Room Tip: I was staying in a family room on the pool which was great
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank MinaSoliman
Solymarabudababmarsa, Manager at El Malikia Resort Abu Dabbab, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Guest,

kindly we thank you for your strange comment , which was not expected ever and with all due respect to you is not true at all, you know that , we have documents that prove our words, we can show it. We do believe this is our rights to defense on our property When we find one of our guests wants to distortion our reputation after he stayed, enjoyed by his vacation during six days, they got a high quality of service like all our distinguished guests as usual ,our general policy, as well we did not receive from you any complaint during your stay, whether to the service or staff were not you the Egyptian only existing in the hotel and you are personally was with you companion also we did not receive from him any complaint within six days, which is natural when receiving poor service with a long stay in this case I have to change the hotel or early check out and this did not happen ,that means there is complete satisfaction for all.

Hotel Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab - Marsa Alam wish to everybody by happy life , good trip, enjoyable stay with all the love and tender
Best Regards,
venice
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Unfortunately our last day of vacation, we were a group of about 40 persons, was ruined by Ali the person who manage in the village the quad bikes riding and also by the lack of the Hotel direction. In fact on our last day of vacation we organized a ride on the desert through a different operator outside the village because we were able to get better prices. But when Ali discovered that he started to follow us outside the village sending away the other company who was waiting for our group and to say that if we wanted to make a ride the only way was through him as he was the BOSS, no other choices. Obviously our group decided to do not make any ride. When we reported to the Hotel Manager what happened and in particular the way that his guests were treated inside the Sol Y Mar Village he did not absolutely solved the problem and no actions were taken. We understand that the quad riding service is not provided directly by the Hotel but Hotel must take care about their guests and services provided/ received inside the Village.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank venetian-traveller
Dear Guests,
Greeting From Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab Marsa Alam

First we would like to thank you for spending your holiday in our Hotel. Really it's very strange which we read in your comment .as you know that your problem happened out of our Hotel and Your group already had a meeting with our Hotel Manager who explained to you that the first priority for Hotel to keep the clients safe and satisfied, and your group convinced of our point of view , and before leaving the meeting, the Hotel Manager apologized to you and solved the problem immediately by taking very serious and hard actions against the owner of (Quad), and your Group thanked him for his efforts. Although the problem is not mine but was from the person who rented for you (Quad) out of the hotel.Finally we are sure that all of you know well that the hotel is not involved in what happened.

We are spending our maximum efforts to keep ourselves on top evermore, which is surely will return to the clients by benefit and We would like to be always in your good thinking

We hope to see you again in our property
Siedlce, Poland
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The gulf of Abu Dabbab is really wonderful place in Egypt. It's got sandy beach, blue water with waves and spectacular reef. Sometimes we can see turtles and dugongs there. If you like snorkeling it's place for you. Be aware that some people destroy corals, feed fish,frighten the animals and maybe soon this beautiful place may disappear.
As for hotel: tidy large rooms, most see view. Staff: in my opinion excellent (exception reception staff - sometimes completly unhelpful). Cuisine: tasty, Italian cos there 're a lot of them (unfortunately - only one restaurant). Spa- poor.
Hotel is rather *** stars. Neighborhood: nothing worth seeing,in fact there is nothing at all only desert. Place quiet and rather for elderly.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anika K
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Solimar is a good place at the right place what I wanna tell to everybody will come in the future, also if u are coming not like guest of solimar or Kahramana to avoid Toyally The beach acqua blue or blue water their stuff is unfair , mean,supervisor someone called Rafat Supervisor who doesn t ménage the beach in a properly way, and makes problem if u have Egyptian guide, Beside if u go there for 40 le u don t have nothing , no wc no good shower, Nothing !! So If u have to choice an enter choice Solimar for same price they give u good service and a juice drink for free.
Do not forget !!

REGARDS

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Romangoodness
Solymarabudababmarsa, Manager at El Malikia Resort Abu Dabbab, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear our Valuable Guest,
Greetings from Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab Marsa Alam

With us and you had a very comfort and safely flight back home.

Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
We wish that the entire world could share your positive impressions with you