“Can't get back soon enough!”
Review of Jaz Lamaya Resort

Jaz Lamaya Resort
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I wouldn't know where to start with this holiday so I'm going to start with the negatives! There was a lack of communication between staff over something I had planned with the hotel before travelling! Now the positives they absolutely made up for the lack of communication I can't fault this resort if they made. Mistake they was very quick to make it better! The hotel itself was very clean and looked very beautiful we had a garden terrace and guaranteed the gardener was out mowing the grass at 4 pm but not at all making a nuisance every aspect of how the grounds look was tended too it looked amazing, our room waserfect for us and the cleaner always done a good job and left us some amazing towel art! The restaurants had plenty of selection and was enjoyable and the bars was well manned and had a good choice! The pools were never over crowded and we always could get a sunbed the only day there was none available the pool boy brought us 7 down to where we wanted to sit. The beach was amazing although I hate sand and this was probably the worst sand I'd experienced but it didn't put me off the sea life was something else and I loved walking down the jettys where one evening we were lucky to see 2 rays! The shops are over the road from the hotels entrance and some just outside a bit of a pain to just have a look but bearable if your good at saying no! There's lots of fakes there so a definite visit if you like your Louis Vuitton hehe! The animation team were nice and friendly but not over bearing which I really liked there's a nice english guy called Peter who came to see us nearly everyday, the shows weren't professional but I loved them none the less they were enjoyable and fun, The staff were brilliant most spoke very good english considering its mainly a German and Russian populated hotel they were very hard working especially considering we were there over Ramadan the guys in both restaurants were very quick and our table was always clean the drinks come quick but it wasn't rushed, they were brilliant with my daughter who's 3 and very demanding lol the guys in the lobby bar were brilliant too they went out of their way to make us feel special very friendly guys but again not over bearing! The reception I visited often over wifi which I will add every room gets 150mb free I ordered flowers at 9pm for 9:30 the morning after which were beautiful and a few more questions I had and all was dealt with very quickly the staff there are a real asset to the resort when your there your part of the family which makes you feel pretty relaxed as soon as you walk through the doors! So as you can tell we ad an amazing holiday at the lamaya resort and I genuinely can't wait to go back! A huge thank you to all the staff we had pleasure meeting at the hotel and not forgetting a huge thank you to Ahmed our thomsons travel rep who was amazing and always around not only an asset to the resort but also to thomsons as a company!

Room Tip: We had 2161 and 2165 they both had a little terrace and amazing sea views which looked out on the su...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam1999_13
There are newer reviews for Jaz Lamaya Resort

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was the third time visiting Egypt, first visit to Hurgharda and then to Sharm. This resort is very different from the previous two as to their location.

This is an excellent choice if you love diving and snorkeling, as the reef and beyond is excellent for scuba diving.

We had two rooms 2258 (facing the sea and sun set) and 2255 which faces the other hotel swimming pool and childrens play area. These were both family rooms and would be more than ample for a family of four, even though we choose to have two rooms due to having a 19 and 15 year old. The housekeeping was excellent as they really take pride in their work and always found the rooms in excellent condition and cleanliness.

Although I caught a tummy bug which Imodium didn't work at all killing it, I was kindly given from the Thomsons Rep Ahmed, Antinal which made all the difference. I did have the bug for 6 days and the Antinal did what it said on the packet. This episode wouldnt put me off going to Egypt, as I have had each time, similar tummy problems. Ahmed was brilliant and wouldn't take any money for the tablets and suggested drinking mint tea, and slicing a clove of garlic and drinking it with water to settle my stomach, of which I did all.

We did a trip to the Marina which if im honest was a waste of money as there wasn't much there, and it was £12 each for return. We did buy some bargains in the shops if you like fake designer gear. Because it is a fairly new resort there isn't much atmosphere there, but it was nice to get out of the hotel.

We did the ocean trip, which we thoroughly loved, we got to swim with the turtles and the sea cow which was breathtaking. We had lots of chances to swim and snorkel throughout the day and had lunch prepared, which was brilliant, all soft drinks included as well in the price. It was brilliant because it was only open for Thomson Clients, so everyone was english which made a nice change. The snorkels and flippers were included in this trip, which was good because you didnt have to cart them around with you.

We also did the dolphin house trip, but alas, we didn't see any dolphins, they decided to swim with the VIP clients. Still managed to enjoy the trip although there was alot of swimming, which I think if you werent strong swimmers you might struggle to keep up. Again lunch was included and was brilliant as well as the soft drinks. My only complaint was that you had to hire the flippers £10 for two pairs. I think both the snorkles and flippers should be included in the price as with stopping at the shop before boarding the boats, wasted valuable time. The price for the trip was £69 an adult. We did think the trips this year was very expensive especially when you have a family that want to do everything.

The food was good, alot of choice, and the chefs were always around to ask if there was any dietry preferences you may have. There was chips only once or twice a week I think. The beach restaurant was excellent and it made a lovely change to be waited on for a change. The steak sandwich was tasty as well as the soup and salads. My son loved the spaghetti. It did get busy so you had to choose an appropriate time to have lunch. In the evening they had shisha pipes for £1.50 on the grassed area which was funny watching the children taking part in that entertainment.

The animaters were brilliant, they didn't push you if you didnt want to take part in the activities and were still friendly and gave you time of day still. There were lots of activities during the day, water polo, snooker, table tennis, boules, football tournament and much more. If you didnt want to take part, it was as much fun to watch it. The evening entertainment was good as well as they must have a 14 day programme so you dont get to see the same thing twice, its not the west end entertainment but typically eqyptian. There was a disco at 11pm if that is your thing.

I would definately go back to Lamaya as it was very relaxing and layed back. My only complaint was with Thomsons, as they dont provide entertainment on flights anymore and very cramped seats. There were no meals included and what was on offer, was I thought, very expensive. It is 5 hours and 15 minutes flight time, especially when teenagers put their seats in reclining position in front of you, when it is clostaphobic anyway.

Room Tip: I had 2258 facing the sea which was lovely seeing the divers going off early in the morning for thei...
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just been back for the 5th time and will be returning again in November. The staff are always friendly and have always remembered us when we return. As this was our 5th visit we had a tree planted and the entire management team were there with cocktails which made it a real occasion, I would also like to thank the gardening staff who had the irrigation in place ready along with a name plaque. The hotel rooms are cleaned daily and have good air conditioning, fresh bottled water is replaced each day. The food is of a decent quality with plenty of choice and the waiters and managers in the restaurant are very friendly (Ahmed, Eltayeb, Mohamdem) and all the others. The pool bar is now open in the evening, which is good and gives somewhere a bit quieter to go, again very friendly bar staff (Mohamed, Waleed and the rest of the crew) and the beach bar offers snacks all day, pizza, burgers, chips. The Animation Team are good fun and will try and get you to join in with the games during the day but appreciate you may just want to rest and will take no for an answer, they also put on a good show of an evening thanks to Kala, Jess, Timo, Momo, Sonia, Tiger.
There are plenty of others who made our holiday yet another to remember and I apologies for not remembering all the names.

Room Tip: Rooms very looking the sea are good, though we prefer a room faking the pool bar :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Secret_Squirrel3
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was our 11th trip to Eygpt but 1st to this hotel. Check in was efficient and quick we weren't shown to our room but pointed in the general direction, never the less it was easy enough to find.
We had a superior family room, quite large with a separate sleeping area for our son. I felt that due to this area the room was a bit dark. We had a limited sea view through a palm tree and the hedge to the dive school. Air conditioning was good, quiet. We had no problems with the room whilst there, we had three housekeepers during the holiday and all cleaned the room well, left towels and water. Our room was 1151, note you will not need an alarm clock being close to the dive school also meant we were next to the donkey stable who was very vocal at about six most mornings. This could work to your advantage if you are into the six am sunbed saving like lots of people. We did mention this and the hotel say they have a policy, i think it is difficult to enforce. We went to the beach most days only occasionally having a problem with finding a sunbed. Very rarely was there hotel staff at the beach.
Staff were some of the best i have met in Egypt considering it was Ramadan they were all happy, helpful and smiling. A real positive for this hotel.
We struggled a bit with the food breakfast was good lunch at the beach bar also good but evening meals were less so. Seemed to be lots of beef dishes (personally we don't eat beef), pasta station but no other pasta dishes, deserts were excellent. Having said that we definitely didn't starve.
We were there from 24th July to 7th August 1st week was relatively quiet, very few English, the 2nd week was much busier with lots of people and children who forget their manners.
Reception area again is very good lots of places to sit,close to the bar so getting a drink was easy.
Snorkeling good from the jetty one of the best jetties for getting in and out of that we have used in Egypt. Large reef we had some days of poor visibility but still manged to see Moray and Rays plus lots of the other reef type fish.
How to make this hotel better not sure something that would just give it an edge. Definitely needs more variety for evening meals there are no other al a carte restaurants (indian payable) + childrens choices poor. Last year we had some one bringing cold flannels round the beach, spraying with cold water and cleaning sunglasses comparing to that this hotel is lacking.
I would go to this hotel again it is on a par with most of the other hotels I have visited. It is a good base with reasonable facilities and excellent staff.
Lastly must mention Ahmed Thomson rep, very visible, and was very helpful never felt that we were being pressured to spend money on trips.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Returned from my 6th stay in June and found the hotel and staff as good as always and had a fantastic time
The staff are very friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them.
They always remember you and make you feel very much at home.
The rooms are cleaned well daily and fresh water provided free every day, beautiful towel displays left in the room.
Liked this time that the pool bar was opened in the evening, allowed you somewhere quieter to spend time with friends to enjoy each others company. Mohammed, waleed and guys were excellent, being friendly and remembering our drinks and keeping the area clean and tidy.
The Animation team were lots of fun and encouraging you to join in activities but notvover pushy and the shows at night were good, particularly the comedy show, I love the oranges sketch and makes me laugh every time, kala, momo, jess, Sonia and tamara were excellent.
The food in the restaurant is of good quality and always plenty of choice, Ahmed Hady, Eltayeb and the rest of the team keep the area clean, tidy and are very friendly.
This being my 6th stay we had a family trees planted, which was lovely, all the managers come to the tree planting to make it special and provide cocktails to celebrate, we had a friend take lots of pictures and all the managers were happy to be included in the photo taking.

And to top it off the weather was brilliant, not a cloud in the sky!

Booked again for November, can't wait!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just came back after a fantastic holiday at the Lamaya resort.
Went with my family, and the hotel is a very family-friendly hotel.

The food in the main hotel is lovely and always found lots to eat. There is a beach bar which does snacks and food at lunch, which is lovely, and nice to have food brought to you for a change. It turns into an a la carte restaurant in the evening, but you have to pay for it, which is quite annoying.

Rooms are lovely and big, I was in one with my brother and there was plenty of room. A massive shower which was good and lots of space to store clothes.

The pool area is lovely, although you do have to get up quite early to get beds by the pool.
The beach is nice and the snorkelling is fantastic around the bay.

One of the best things I will remember is the staff. The staff working at the hotel work such long hours and can't do enough for you. You are treated extremely well, and if there is a problem, they don't hesitate to help you as soon as possible. The animation team are also great. They are not pushy if you don't want to join in, which actually makes you more likely too. Dita and Margarita are especially good. They come round and talk to you in the day and evening. The Lamaya olympics is a great thing to join in. Their shows in the evening are great for something to do, they work extremely hard and they were good shows :)

The best person had to be our rep, Ahmed. He was absolutely fantastic. He was there all the time, even on his day offs, asking how we are and talking to us throughout the day and evening. My mum and I had upset stomachs for a few days, and he gave us tablets straight away which we didnt have to pay for. Our wifi code also wasn't working and he let us use his ipad. They are just little examples, but he really was the best rep we've ever had and we can't thank him enough for our holiday.
Loved Egypt yet again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just got back on the 1st August, from having a fantastic holiday at the iberotel lamaya resort, egypt marsa alam, we had 2 weeks and the resort was brilliant, plenty to eat, very clean and always cleaning rooms,beach restaurant and main restaurant really look after you,serving u tea&coffee in the mornings at breakfast,animation team really good and our tour rep Ahmed was brilliant, saw him every day asking if we were ok with everything,just wish that all the reps were like Ahmed & Lorriane these were A1 and all the Egyptian staff cant do enough for u, cant wait to go back next year. ian mandy dan. :-)

Room Tip: Ground floor by pool.