“We'll come again!”

Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Antwerp, Belgium
“We'll come again!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Great All Inclusive hotel!
Around Coraya Bay you will find four hotels directly connected to the bay. We have been walking around and visited all four but for a family holiday we prefer Lamaya Resort far above the others. We had a large family room with a separate sleeping area for our daughter and with sea view! A friendly staff, fantastic food and an amazing animation team, what else could you wish?
At the hotel you also will find the bases of Corays Divers. Being a diving instructor myself I can inform you that this was the best and most professional diving center I've ever seen!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
advisor201074, General Manager at Jaz Lamaya Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2015
Dear Sir & Madam,

Thank you for choosing Lamaya to spend your vacation and for taking the time to write a review.

The Team here at Lamaya are grateful and would like to thank you for your very positive praise and comments regarding the hotel and staff.

Ashraf Ayed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
BANGALORE
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is one of the few all inclusive resorts which is truly all inclusive... The rooms were elegant, spacious enough to move around... loved the additional space with two single beds before the bedroom... room service was intact... you dont need a wallet to move around in the resort, just a band would suffice. unlike many other places that would try best to charge you for what you have not booked, the staff here were ensuring you dont end up paying unnecessarily... we also enjoyed the night club on saturday night and the daily evening shows that was wonderful... the best belly dance we saw in egypt!!

Room Tip: Choose the sea facing rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CHRISTIAN C
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Have just returned (14th August) and agree with many of the previous positive comments. Ahmed (Thompson Rep) very attentive and helpful.
Lovely reception area and main bar. Great pool bar (best bar for coffee). The 2 best things about this hotel-
1:Every single member of staff we came into contact with, including waiters, cleaners and maintenance men, were genuinely friendly and helpful.
2: Within 5 minutes of stepping out of my room, I could walk too the beach, along the jetty, snorkel-up and be swimming over the beautiful coral reef surrounded by the most amazing selection of beautiful fish. The bay is also safe enough for children with arm bands to experience this.
Other positives:
The restaurant had themed nights, so there was always a different selection of dishes. Fresh bread made in the hotel each day. I would recommend the middle 'cart' which had a range of Egyptian foods each night. All food is clearly labelled too. NB: I only realised half way through the week, that there is a charcoal grill outside which gives you a further choice of dish each night.
The water park, just a few minutes walk from Reception was very popular with my teenage son. There were slides for younger children as well as very scary ones, never a long wait to slide and plenty of sun loungers available.
The wellness centre has a very big Jacuzzi, which is a good place to cool down too.
Booking direct for boat trips with the Coraya Dive Centre (on the hotel site) is cheaper than through Thompson. We went to Dolphin House (£55 direct / £69 with Thompson) We weren't lucky enough to meet dolphins there to swim with but did snorkel and spot a barakuda. NB: There is a 45min minibus trip to the boat and on the day we went the waves were very large and 2 on our boat were seasick. On the return we met a school of approx 30 dolphins, who swam along with us for over 5 minutes! Amazing!
Rooms were big and air-con was effective. Big balcony too. Small safes in room too.
Really enjoyed international beach volleyball in the afternoons organised by the 'animators'. Also aerobics, archery, table tennis and water polo. Evening entertainment was provided by the 'animators' (redcoat style) I watched 3 evenings and would recommend the Fakir Show (endurance feats with broken glass and fire entertainment.
3 out of 4 of us got the tummy bug. Immodium worked for 2 of us, we probably should have taken up Ahmed's offer too.
English people probably made up about 15% of guests, but you could see this as a positive! We are seen as more polite than the Russians! Also, a few words such as "Salam Alaikum" and "Shokram" go a long way.
My 18 year-old daughter commented that there should be a different coloured arm band to show whether you were old enough for alcoholic drinks. She needed to prove her age at the bar and said the barman was embarrassed to ask. He also apologised to me the next day for the inconvenience to her.
I would also agree with negative comments about air travel.
I would also recommend NOT booking with Thompson on line. I did this and was then told that due to a software update I could no longer access my holiday details etc online, but when I went to my local Thompson shop, they told me they could not fully access things for me. The email response I had from Thompson was not helpful either. The shop staff told me that they would match online prices too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TMteacher99
London united kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I wouldn't know where to start with this holiday so I'm going to start with the negatives! There was a lack of communication between staff over something I had planned with the hotel before travelling! Now the positives they absolutely made up for the lack of communication I can't fault this resort if they made. Mistake they was very quick to make it better! The hotel itself was very clean and looked very beautiful we had a garden terrace and guaranteed the gardener was out mowing the grass at 4 pm but not at all making a nuisance every aspect of how the grounds look was tended too it looked amazing, our room waserfect for us and the cleaner always done a good job and left us some amazing towel art! The restaurants had plenty of selection and was enjoyable and the bars was well manned and had a good choice! The pools were never over crowded and we always could get a sunbed the only day there was none available the pool boy brought us 7 down to where we wanted to sit. The beach was amazing although I hate sand and this was probably the worst sand I'd experienced but it didn't put me off the sea life was something else and I loved walking down the jettys where one evening we were lucky to see 2 rays! The shops are over the road from the hotels entrance and some just outside a bit of a pain to just have a look but bearable if your good at saying no! There's lots of fakes there so a definite visit if you like your Louis Vuitton hehe! The animation team were nice and friendly but not over bearing which I really liked there's a nice english guy called Peter who came to see us nearly everyday, the shows weren't professional but I loved them none the less they were enjoyable and fun, The staff were brilliant most spoke very good english considering its mainly a German and Russian populated hotel they were very hard working especially considering we were there over Ramadan the guys in both restaurants were very quick and our table was always clean the drinks come quick but it wasn't rushed, they were brilliant with my daughter who's 3 and very demanding lol the guys in the lobby bar were brilliant too they went out of their way to make us feel special very friendly guys but again not over bearing! The reception I visited often over wifi which I will add every room gets 150mb free I ordered flowers at 9pm for 9:30 the morning after which were beautiful and a few more questions I had and all was dealt with very quickly the staff there are a real asset to the resort when your there your part of the family which makes you feel pretty relaxed as soon as you walk through the doors! So as you can tell we ad an amazing holiday at the lamaya resort and I genuinely can't wait to go back! A huge thank you to all the staff we had pleasure meeting at the hotel and not forgetting a huge thank you to Ahmed our thomsons travel rep who was amazing and always around not only an asset to the resort but also to thomsons as a company!

Room Tip: We had 2161 and 2165 they both had a little terrace and amazing sea views which looked out on the su...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam1999_13
london
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was the third time visiting Egypt, first visit to Hurgharda and then to Sharm. This resort is very different from the previous two as to their location.

This is an excellent choice if you love diving and snorkeling, as the reef and beyond is excellent for scuba diving.

We had two rooms 2258 (facing the sea and sun set) and 2255 which faces the other hotel swimming pool and childrens play area. These were both family rooms and would be more than ample for a family of four, even though we choose to have two rooms due to having a 19 and 15 year old. The housekeeping was excellent as they really take pride in their work and always found the rooms in excellent condition and cleanliness.

Although I caught a tummy bug which Imodium didn't work at all killing it, I was kindly given from the Thomsons Rep Ahmed, Antinal which made all the difference. I did have the bug for 6 days and the Antinal did what it said on the packet. This episode wouldnt put me off going to Egypt, as I have had each time, similar tummy problems. Ahmed was brilliant and wouldn't take any money for the tablets and suggested drinking mint tea, and slicing a clove of garlic and drinking it with water to settle my stomach, of which I did all.

We did a trip to the Marina which if im honest was a waste of money as there wasn't much there, and it was £12 each for return. We did buy some bargains in the shops if you like fake designer gear. Because it is a fairly new resort there isn't much atmosphere there, but it was nice to get out of the hotel.

We did the ocean trip, which we thoroughly loved, we got to swim with the turtles and the sea cow which was breathtaking. We had lots of chances to swim and snorkel throughout the day and had lunch prepared, which was brilliant, all soft drinks included as well in the price. It was brilliant because it was only open for Thomson Clients, so everyone was english which made a nice change. The snorkels and flippers were included in this trip, which was good because you didnt have to cart them around with you.

We also did the dolphin house trip, but alas, we didn't see any dolphins, they decided to swim with the VIP clients. Still managed to enjoy the trip although there was alot of swimming, which I think if you werent strong swimmers you might struggle to keep up. Again lunch was included and was brilliant as well as the soft drinks. My only complaint was that you had to hire the flippers £10 for two pairs. I think both the snorkles and flippers should be included in the price as with stopping at the shop before boarding the boats, wasted valuable time. The price for the trip was £69 an adult. We did think the trips this year was very expensive especially when you have a family that want to do everything.

The food was good, alot of choice, and the chefs were always around to ask if there was any dietry preferences you may have. There was chips only once or twice a week I think. The beach restaurant was excellent and it made a lovely change to be waited on for a change. The steak sandwich was tasty as well as the soup and salads. My son loved the spaghetti. It did get busy so you had to choose an appropriate time to have lunch. In the evening they had shisha pipes for £1.50 on the grassed area which was funny watching the children taking part in that entertainment.

The animaters were brilliant, they didn't push you if you didnt want to take part in the activities and were still friendly and gave you time of day still. There were lots of activities during the day, water polo, snooker, table tennis, boules, football tournament and much more. If you didnt want to take part, it was as much fun to watch it. The evening entertainment was good as well as they must have a 14 day programme so you dont get to see the same thing twice, its not the west end entertainment but typically eqyptian. There was a disco at 11pm if that is your thing.

I would definately go back to Lamaya as it was very relaxing and layed back. My only complaint was with Thomsons, as they dont provide entertainment on flights anymore and very cramped seats. There were no meals included and what was on offer, was I thought, very expensive. It is 5 hours and 15 minutes flight time, especially when teenagers put their seats in reclining position in front of you, when it is clostaphobic anyway.

Room Tip: I had 2258 facing the sea which was lovely seeing the divers going off early in the morning for thei...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just been back for the 5th time and will be returning again in November. The staff are always friendly and have always remembered us when we return. As this was our 5th visit we had a tree planted and the entire management team were there with cocktails which made it a real occasion, I would also like to thank the gardening staff who had the irrigation in place ready along with a name plaque. The hotel rooms are cleaned daily and have good air conditioning, fresh bottled water is replaced each day. The food is of a decent quality with plenty of choice and the waiters and managers in the restaurant are very friendly (Ahmed, Eltayeb, Mohamdem) and all the others. The pool bar is now open in the evening, which is good and gives somewhere a bit quieter to go, again very friendly bar staff (Mohamed, Waleed and the rest of the crew) and the beach bar offers snacks all day, pizza, burgers, chips. The Animation Team are good fun and will try and get you to join in with the games during the day but appreciate you may just want to rest and will take no for an answer, they also put on a good show of an evening thanks to Kala, Jess, Timo, Momo, Sonia, Tiger.
There are plenty of others who made our holiday yet another to remember and I apologies for not remembering all the names.

Room Tip: Rooms very looking the sea are good, though we prefer a room faking the pool bar :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Secret_Squirrel3
lincolnshire UK
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was our 11th trip to Eygpt but 1st to this hotel. Check in was efficient and quick we weren't shown to our room but pointed in the general direction, never the less it was easy enough to find.
We had a superior family room, quite large with a separate sleeping area for our son. I felt that due to this area the room was a bit dark. We had a limited sea view through a palm tree and the hedge to the dive school. Air conditioning was good, quiet. We had no problems with the room whilst there, we had three housekeepers during the holiday and all cleaned the room well, left towels and water. Our room was 1151, note you will not need an alarm clock being close to the dive school also meant we were next to the donkey stable who was very vocal at about six most mornings. This could work to your advantage if you are into the six am sunbed saving like lots of people. We did mention this and the hotel say they have a policy, i think it is difficult to enforce. We went to the beach most days only occasionally having a problem with finding a sunbed. Very rarely was there hotel staff at the beach.
Staff were some of the best i have met in Egypt considering it was Ramadan they were all happy, helpful and smiling. A real positive for this hotel.
We struggled a bit with the food breakfast was good lunch at the beach bar also good but evening meals were less so. Seemed to be lots of beef dishes (personally we don't eat beef), pasta station but no other pasta dishes, deserts were excellent. Having said that we definitely didn't starve.
We were there from 24th July to 7th August 1st week was relatively quiet, very few English, the 2nd week was much busier with lots of people and children who forget their manners.
Reception area again is very good lots of places to sit,close to the bar so getting a drink was easy.
Snorkeling good from the jetty one of the best jetties for getting in and out of that we have used in Egypt. Large reef we had some days of poor visibility but still manged to see Moray and Rays plus lots of the other reef type fish.
How to make this hotel better not sure something that would just give it an edge. Definitely needs more variety for evening meals there are no other al a carte restaurants (indian payable) + childrens choices poor. Last year we had some one bringing cold flannels round the beach, spraying with cold water and cleaning sunglasses comparing to that this hotel is lacking.
I would go to this hotel again it is on a par with most of the other hotels I have visited. It is a good base with reasonable facilities and excellent staff.
Lastly must mention Ahmed Thomson rep, very visible, and was very helpful never felt that we were being pressured to spend money on trips.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family