“Outstanding ”
Review of Jaz Lamaya Resort

Jaz Lamaya Resort
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment we had finished the not so speedy airport customs we were greeted by Thomson rep Ahmed, we got on the coach and Ahmed spoke to us the whole way there telling us about the local area and the hotel.
When we arrived at the Hotel we were greeted with a refreshing drink. The restaurant was open waiting for us to eat, we were then shown to our room.

During our holiday.

The pool is lovely, activities in one pool, general swimming in the other pool, and even a quiet pool. The animation team were amazing, irreplaceable. Unfortunately the pool was closed a couple of times due to "health and safety reasons" but this was only occasionally.

The animation team were amazing, they couldn't have been nicer, they all spoke to you and had a laugh with you, especially Sam, Momo, Josi and Victor. They really were the best people to be with you everyday.

The lobby bar is the bar open 13:00-00:00. It's the main drink place at night. The only problem was, in the evening it was exceptionally busy, and the queue was lasting ages and a lot of the German people pushed in front of you. We tended to go down to the still open Pool bar after the evening show and get a drink from there and take it to out room.

The evening show- six days a week (not Wednesday) the animation team put on a show. At 21:30 - 22:30. The show was different every night of the week, but the same each week. Thursday was always this Friday that, the shows were good ranging from Fakir show to Dance shoes to Comedy. My personal favourite was evolution of the divas and The Comedy Show. Both of these were just great, the comedy show takes it though, that show was funnier than Michael McIntyre and Jo Brand together.

The rooms are beautiful, a king size bed for adults and two individual beds for children. One toilet and a shower. The balcony is shaded, so perfect for heat but not sun.

The room service was immaculate. We were a little bit ill during our stay (nothing the pharmacy didn't sort within 48hrs) therefore we couldn't have the cleaner come in to our room as we were in it all day. My daughter and wife spent a day in the room so I had to ask the cleaner not to clean the room that day, he instantly gave us towels and loo roll to take to our room and extra towels and some Ansee tea.

Last but not least the Red Sea. Probably the best place in the world to snorkel. Within the Coraya Bay we saw Turtle, Honeycomb Stingrays, Spotted Eagle Rays, TriggerFish, and even some jellyfish, we also saw the barracuda. It was under the floaty platform!

This was without doubt the best holiday we have had and we will certainly be coming back

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Holidaymaker5678
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

What a lot of moaners I've just read.
Here's the deal.
1. Attractive, very clean and well maintained hotel.
2.Great, efficient and friendly staff. Impressed with reception who resolved our only problem.
3 Food is good. Plenty of choice. Not outstanding but good. The outdoor grill in the evening was usually worth trying and the beach bar gave a bit of a change for lunch.
4. Our family really enjoyed the bedouin safari trip ..kids aged 11 and 8 were fine with it.
5. Pools are good and kept clean and safe though you do need to be down by 8 for your choice of sunbed.
6 Ahmed, the Thomson rep, is outstanding, the best we've encountered. Always helpful, friendly to all and easy to find.
7. Snorkelling is amazing and good to see the coral being protected .
8 The beach does have sea access in between the coral and is quiet compared to the pool. Evening sunset cocktails on the headland are a nice touch.
9. Although it was 40 degrees in August there are regular breezes and we all coped well.
10.Momo led some good kids activities such as football and early evening kids shows. A real talented hard worker.
11. And moans? Not a fan of these hotel later evening shows anywhere. These are much the same. Alcohol is basic beer, wine and some rather poor cocktails. But we were in an Islamic country and not paying 5* prices..far from.
Overall? Comfortable, clean, with a wide range of on site activities and wonderful snorkelling and diving. Kids loved it, made friends and felt safe. Thanks to all at the Lamaya

Room Tip: Block 2 was good and if you like it quiet, not pool view.
2  Thank jimleamington
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent the 1st 2 weeks of August at Lamaya and really did enjoy it. as others have said get your visa at the foreign exchange desk as cheaper than Thomson

What really stands out it how friendly everyone is and how they really try and make your holiday the best possible, if you have a problem then mention it and they will do their best to solve it. Ahmed the rep was fantastic, very helpful and friendly and very easy to get hold of 24 7!!

The animation team were the best I have seen, cheeky but fun with it (I was even chucked in the pool) all in good fun, Sam, Moomoo, Temo are the ones that stood out for us but to be honest they are all fab!

Kids loved the waterpark! not very big so not an all day thing but ok for a couple of hours here and there. (strange thing is though they close it completely for an hour from 1-2 bit pointless really sure they could have lunch at staggered times.

Room boys were lovely, sure out one was called Ibrahim? always made our room lovely and left lovely towel art.

Now these are not proper moans just what could be better....

Kids food in the evening not great, to be fair I have a very fussy son but even so the kids corner was pretty pants!! I ended up making sure I fed him up at lunch time with burger or pizza ect from the beach bar so that when it came to dinner it was no biggy if he did not eat much! took us a week to realise that the beach bar was also all inclusive so the first few nights my son ate bread and perhaps a little plain pasta with ketchup eww! We did ask for chicken nuggets which they did try and accommodate....but these were no proper chicken nuggets lol.

The evening entertainment could also be better, they have a singer pretty much every night (the same one) and sorry mate but you just can't sing!!! he killed a few songs over and over. One night the animation team came to the bar area and got lots up dancing, when they were there the atmosphere was much better, they have a laugh. There were shows in the theatre which were good but did not last very long! and no bar :(

more needs to be happening in the bar area where adults can relax and have a drink but the still be entertaining the kids, I hate to say it but I think Karaoke would have been better than the singer on his own!, I understand that the shows need to be in the theatre for space but i'm sure they could do something in the bar area???

This only really bothered us the once as all other nights we must have gone in earlier...but once it hits midnight you can not get a drink anywhere there, we were under the impression that all inclusive finished then but you could pay for a drink at the bar.....well no that was not the case all closes at 12, needles to say we attacked the mini bar, but to be honest when you only get 3 cans or lager in it that doesn't really help!! My friends and I did our mini bar and their mini bar in the same night.....a whole 6 cans between us all whoop whoop!!! I wouldn't mind too much but they did not even re-fill the next day!! I even left the room boy a note requesting it to be re-filled. This did not happen,(may not have understood the note, but I did leave it hanging from fridge? this was the last few days of our holiday, if it had been the first few I would have gone to reception and requested they re-fill which im sure they would have.

Tips:

We were really unsure on what we should be tipping made sure we tipped the room boy quite a few times, on the first night there the bar staff can not do enough for you, after that no so great!! then we realised...as we looked around us, whilst we would be waiting for a long time for a drink there were other tables that seemed to never be empty! (this was due to then tipping) so we made sure we tipped a few times at the bar too, im sorry but I am happy to tip but don't like to feel like I have to, jeez you could spend all your spending money on tipping if your not careful and to be honest we had paid a lot for the holiday itself. There was one other time that really annoyed me in regards to tips, we went on the safari trip which was not cheap!! we paid £160 for 2 adults and 1 child, so our full group cost around £500 for the day you go in buggies across the desert, a camel ride and quad bike ride (which was only for about 30 mins tops!) you have a guide that takes you round the Bedouin village and gives your group a name (we were called Bedouins) everytime he called "Bedouins" we would have to go to him , he showed you how they live, make bread, their pharmacy and I think I could tell you all you need to know about bloody camels lol this was a long winded trip, lots of walking around in very hot weather, our guide would say to us "take your time, have a rest" then seconds later he would be shouting "Bedouins" it was a very long day, at the end of the trip you watch the sun set and then have a bbq, well what a cock up that was!!! everyone was starving hungry, we had been on the trip from 2pm and found ourselves waiting around for the food, still not eaten at 8:15pm (except the small piece of bread they give you on the tour round the camp) then it was such a fuss getting us all to sit down, when we were ready there were plenty of seats around us but they tried to stick 9 of us round one tiny table to which I complained about, after a lot of fussing about they brought another table to us!! (what does ot matter where we sit) I could understand it of they were making people eat in their groups which is what we thought was going to happen but no.....they waited for everyone to sit down then opened the food at about 8:30-8:40pm for all and it was the worst thing I have seen, everyone running to the food, people barging you out the way,over you, around you, it was a nightmare as if no-one had ever been fed!!! ANIMALS springs to mind. Then there was nothing for kids! fantastic, we did not stay for the show or dance what ever they did at the end as one of the children had a poorly tummy, they did not seem impressed that we asked to leave, but what can you do?? we then had a different driver take us back to the hotel, when we arrived their our guide then told us we had to tip the driver!!!!! REALLY?? Why?? what for?? he only took us back to the hotel and we had paid over the odds for the trip in the first place, not impressed at all basically telling us we had to pay the driver, well i'm sorry but if the driver needs paying perhaps you should take it from the £500 we had already paid grrrr! like I said I don't mind tipping but don't like being told I have to.

My husband and friends also did the turtle spotting trip which was much better value!, he only paid £30 for the day from 8am til 4:15pm, saw turtles, dolphins and a sea cow. (We also realised that we could have got this even cheaper from the chaps that come round the pool, so hold out.

All in all we did enjoy the holiday and love Egypt but next time I think we will find a busier place.

Room Tip: We asked for ground floor due to there being no lifts, this was honored, although I bet all the room...
1  Thank 279Hayley
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Brilliant Holiday!

As with most of these reviews Ahmed is wonderful, your Thomson Rep, he can not do enough for you and any problems or worries will be sorted asap, not that we really had any.

Can I say if you get the invite to the Indian night GO GO GO, the food is wonderful and the waiter Haussen was amazing, his english is brilliant and we had a wonderful night.

The food in the main dinning area can be a bit of a concoction but there is always something you can eat, and the food is good.

The pools are great and the beach is good, Snorkelling is amazing!

The Animation team are very good "Water Polo" you will hear this as you are laying by the pool and the shows are definitely worth a visit in the evening in the theatre.

The water park is good for young and older kids.

All I would say is what are you waiting for book now, we loved it and wished we had done 2 weeks instead of one :-(

1  Thank mummyone
Reviewed 16 August 2014

When arriving at Marsa Alam airport ensure you pay for your visa at the foreign exchange counter, on the left, and NOT at the Thomson desk or on the bus. A Thomson rep will tell you to go to their desk but don't as Thomson charge double what you pay at the exchange counter.
Ahmed the Thomson holiday advisor is a star, there to answer any question and very friendly. Joined my husband and other guests playing pool some evenings.
Staff at the hotel, all Men, are very welcoming and friendly.
The hotel in on three floors with no lifts so if you struggle with stairs or have small children ask for a ground floor room.
This hotel isn't 4 or 5 star, missing plug cover in our room - protective glass on tables in lobby have broken corners which is a hazard (this was reported whilst we were there) especially to little ones - dirt and dust on dado rails in dinning room - sheets grey not white - pillow cases bobbled - plug didn't seal in sink !
Recommend you check your mini bar on arrival and keep tabs on anything you have, reception tried charging us for things we didn't have!
Air condition noisy and you can hear the next rooms as well especially at night.
Our room cleaner was very friendly and surprised us with several towel art figures including a huge birthday cake for my husbands birthday.
Drinks choice is very limited but you're ok if you drink wine or beer !
Fellow vegetarians be ware you will find meat in dishes marked as 'vegetarian', not only will you find meat in dishes you will find baby Quails in the 'vegetarian' corner !
Choice of food very poor even for meat eaters.
Recommend lunch at the 'Morgana' Bar or down at the shacks on the beach.
Waterpark good for breaking the day up but you wouldn't want to stay very long.
Daytime entertainment disappointing, Water polo (adults only), Darts, Table Tennis and Football.
Evening Entertainment did get better as the weeks went by although concerned that some of the acts are not suitable for children. Only last an hour! Everything is announced three times English, French and German. Momo from the animation team is brilliant. Remember to take your drinks with you as they is no bar only cold water.
If you're going for the Kids Clubs think again, we chose this hotel as it offered a Youth Club for older children - there wasn't one! Younger children were taken to the Waterpark or Belly Danced by the pool!
There were a lot of Germans staying at this hotel who were rude and didn't know how to queue or say thank you.
When shopping use the shops opposite the hotel as they gave us better prices than the men in the shops at the hotel.
It wasn't too busy but like anywhere if you want sunbeds then get up early to reserve them.
Snorkelling is a must, I'd never done this before but was hooked. The sea is clear and very warm and the fish are amazing.
We went on the Turtle trip organised through Ahmed which was fantastic, we were lucky that there was only 11 people on the boat - 6 learning to dive and 5 snorkelling. Felt completely safe led by the boat's staff snorkelling and saw some amazing sights, the Turtles are huge ! No need to worry about food choice on the boat as they cater for Vegetarians and it was rather yummy.
Make sure you have flip flops or similar as the floor is too hot to walk on with bare feet, both my children burnt their finger pads getting in and out of the pool.
We'd love to go back to Egypt but not to this hotel as we prefer to have the option of things to do during the day and enjoy family entertainment in the evening.
There is a 'sunset' viewing point where people gather to watch the sun set which is a must.
The last thing I would say it that some of the staff are over friendly which was a worry having a 16 year old daughter!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ground floor room if you struggle with stairs or have young children as there are no lifts !
3  Thank Bernadette V
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just arrived back from the best holiday ever! Firstly after landing at Marsa Alam Airport, purchased our visa from the Egyptian bank (cheaper than thomson) after 10 minutes on the coach we arrived to the most amazing welcome by the hotel staff including drinks and biscuits and even kept the restaurant open for us. We were treated as royalty from the start of the holiday right up to the goodbyes by all staff who speak excellent English. The rooms were beautiful, spacious, very clean and the towels were changed daily. The swimming pools were the most cleanest we have experienced, crystal clear and the staff were continuously monitoring it throughout the day, the pool staff worked very hard.

Ahmed - Thomson Rep - he is amazing, the most interactive rep we have ever come across, he is helpful, knowledgeable, any problems he solved straightaway. Ahmed was in the hotel everyday - even on his day off! He was extremely outgoing, he always said "hello" and is "everything ok" whilst walking past our sun loungers, he is great with the kids and even helped one English girl with her Egptian homework! We went bowling one evening with him and had a great laugh and even saw him in the disco busting some moves! It was sad to say goodbye.

Ayman - Bar Waiter - absolutely fantastic. He was a lovely man, very friendly, always had a smile and we think he was the best waiter in the hotel. Ayman would take one glance at our table and a new round of drinks would be brought to us without us having to ask.

Animation Team - worked very hard to provide a great, friendly atmosphere throughout the day and evening. Sam, Momo, Timo and Victor were exceptional in entertaining us! Sam and Momo even came in all day on their day off because it was our last day and to say goodbye.

Food - every night there was a wide selection and wasn't repetitive in the main restaurant. Unfortunately not a wide selection for young children and chips were once a week (should be more frequent). Morgana beach bar was snack style -burger, pizza, chicken burger all with chips. Beach huts were delicious - fresh pancakes, waffles, popcorn, candy floss, cake selection, toasties with any filling.

Only two negatives, one is the bloke who tries to sing when the entertainment is finished (needs his vocals looking at) and secondly the tiles around the pool were extremely slippery after witnessing a grown man slipping and splitting his head open - advise anyone not to run around the pool - non slip tiles should be a must around the pool at any hotel.

It was very sad to leave but fingers crossed will be back next year.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Loraine L
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Well where do I start, this hotel is amazing. There is something for everyone. I went with my 65 year old mum and two teenage kids and we all loved it and have already booked to go back next year. Very clean and amazing staff. Animation team fantastic. But the jewell in the crown was the rep Ahmed. Never ever had a rep like him. He will do anything for you, sort out any issues and gets involved in the kids activities like playing pool with them in the evening and taking them to the water park on his day off. Above and beyond

Thomsons please continue to go to this hotel and add back the Manchester flight!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family