“Depends on what you are up to”

Magic Tulip Beach Resort
Ranked #31 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Rome, Italy
“Depends on what you are up to”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Our overall experience was neutral. We were bored and happy to come home. The problem, however, was not in the bad quality of the place or any specific complaints, just that it's definitely not our favorite type of vacation.

The place is well-kept and nice, but it's in the middle of nowhere and there is nowhere to go besides the excursions. In February it gets super windy, so even after swimming in the warm pool we had to dry ourselves with towels asap and get dressed. At the beach there are shields against the wind, so you can sunbathe in shelter. As for swimming in the sea, it's not the most pleasant experience either - to reach the beautiful coral reef one has to walk for 800 m along the bridge, as the sea is shallow. However, we did swim a couple of times, and it was beautiful. Again on the way back we were shivering because of the wind.

We had soft all inclusive, which means we had to pay for our drinks, but the thing was that the staff isn't used to it, as all the guests are divided into 2 types - Germans with hard all inclusive plans, who drink without paying just by showing a violet bracelet, and Italians, who never drink, since it's not included. So, every time we were ordering a drink, we really brought confusion, they started to explain us every time that we'll have to pay, and when we said that we knew they were at a loss how we should pay and charging our room was a long process every time. The best service was at the pool's bar with a bar-attendant Marco, who knew what to do and was serving us drinks and giving us bills fast and without useless misunderstandings.

The food was good with a big choice. I suggest that people who complaint about food remember what they paid, as being low cost this place is more than decent. The restaurant though looks more like a military or factory canteen, where you have to queue to get food, it's noisy and waiters attack you to take away the dishes as soon as possible, which I was ignoring by taking my time to eat)))

Twice during the week there were special dinners at the beach restaurant (one usual Monday special dinner, the other being St. Valentine's). Those were extras we were happy to take to escape the factory style dinner at least twice. At those dinners we were offered seafood, which was good, but we were not warned that the st. Valentine's dinner will be identical to the romantic Monday one, so we had to eat exactly the same stuff, which was though still better than the usual included dinner.

The stuff was very pleasant and friendly, though watch out for your women, Egyptian men can be too familiar in their behavior. The shop-assistant in the main lobby was bothering me when I came by without my husband and also 2 members of the entertainment team stopped me in the restaurant saying something stupid and trying to joke with me. Another comment about the entertainment - it was too loud and aimed only at Italians. Loud Italian-speaking youngsters were yelling at the beach trying to drag people into a volleyball game or some silly dance. Too much is too much, and the louder the merrier doesn't work for all.

The complex looks nice, but just a couple of meters away there are piles of dirt and total desert.

In general, this place is good for people who are tired of the busy tiresome city life and want peace, no activity, lying on the beach and reading a book. If you like adventures, lively discos, bars, swimming and new impressions, go somewhere else.

A note - in February the most lucky in Marsa Alam are the kite-surfers. The wind is crazy, the prices are at its lowest, the best time))) I wish we were kite-surfers, maybe then our winter break would be way more fun.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DevochkaDa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Just returned from an all inclusive week at the Tulip resort. To be fair its a bit off season and five days with no sun leaves you rather bored. Overall the Tulip Resort is not bad at all and very good value for what we paid. Room great, spacious, Only one restaurant but plenty of choice, food ok, although nothing special but you wont go hungry. Nice pools, one is heated. Beach which is part of the hotel is basically hard rolled sand, plenty of sun beds and shades with beach cafe for limited snacks. Didnt really use the watersports as rather chilly, it gets pretty windy on the beach.The hotel reef is 700m out on a pier and is quite exposed and very deep. Not much chance of sea swimming as the bay is very shallow out to the reef. Mini bar expensive -take your own tipple and a big bag of peanuts for your sundowner.
Staff all very friendly and the whole complex is very well maintained.
It is very popular with German and Italian guests and we were in a minority of 2 I think.
Why the warning? Well the big issue is that once you are there, unless you go on some fairly expensive excursions, there is no where to go. Whilst we understood it was isolated before we booked, we had'nt really appeciated quite how restricted you are. There are no taxis about or buses. You can book a taxi but expect to pay 20- 30 euros for a fairly short trip to Port Ghalib, the nearest alternative venue with Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays, plus some shops round a newly built marina. There is no where to walk except along the deserted and frankly shabby beaches either side of the hotel which are strewn with plastic rubbish.
I hope the toe rag that stole from our terrace, the lovely big clam shell that we found on a remote beach was strip searched at the airport!!

Now we did take one excursion and here I have to raise a red flag to warn you. This is nothing to do with the Hotel at all. This concerns an excursion to Al Quesir offered by reps in many if not all the hotels. This is an historic town and boasts an ancient fortress, ancient mosque and a unigue Roman Catholic Church. The afternoon and early evening tour includes all of these plus some shopping time. Sounds good. ITS IS NOT. The town is about the most depressing place I have ever been to and really unless you have a need to see a slum town, with rubbish strewn everywhere, ramshackle derelict buildings in dispepair, filth everywhere - dont go.
Of the main attractions - The Ancient Fortress, which should be a National Treasure, isnt. There are some bits and pieces of its history. Everything is covered is dust. There were chicken bones and other rubbish lying around the main courtyard. The underground Cistern approached down very steep stairs is of course dark. However the lights dont work and the tour guides mobile phone torch did little to illuminate things. Shame it could be much better.

The Mosque was not desperately much to see although its history is interesting.

Next, the Roman Catholic Church which is quite pristine having been recently refurbished. However it is located in the centre of what was a very large factory complex which processed Phosphate ores from the nearby mountains before shipping the refined fertilzer via the company built port. The Italian owned company employed a large work force and many became converted to RC, hence the church being built within the factory. However Phosphate dust was extremely dangerous and many of the work force died of lung infections and the plant eventually closed. Many of the original buildings still remain as you see when you are driven into this industrial wasteland. There seems little evidence that the site has been cleared from Phosphate dust. It is therefore absolutely unbelievable that tourists are taken anywhere near this Health and Safety nightmare.

the rest of the trip did not improve as we were taken to a building in the middle of a building site to look at some assorted clothing and the dreaded perfume making emporium, then some other Bazaar shopping. If you want to buy egyptian tourist trash, this was the place to come. Finally to a Restaurant for a drink. I would not have left my dog there.

I have to say that the several members from 4 differant hotels on our bus all insisted to our "tour Guide" that we leave immediately. On complaining to the rep we booked the tour with, he simply said "this is the real Egypt". All I can say folks is that was a sad sight to see and I thoroughly recommend you give it a miss.

Room Tip: We were in the newer section, close to the reception/restaurant on the ground floor. Looking out to...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank philip l
kent
Reviewed 27 January 2013

What a fantastic hotel and resort. The all inclusive food was great lots of choice and variety. The staff in all areas were so attentive and nothing was too much effort. The rooms were clean and the beach is literally at the end of the hotel, great location. Snorkelling was amazing, and kite surfing on the beach available. The reps made a great effort to get everyone involved. A little piece of paradise, so much so I have just booked to go back in March and also for christmas and new year again, all in all a fantastic holiday, would recommend to all, great for families and has everything there you could want. Thank you Tulip resort for a great time, see you soon. Rachael :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are close to all amenities
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank rachael s
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Spent Christmas and New Year at this wonderful Hotel. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious. The whole experience was great and I had a few tears when I left. This was our first time in Egypt and I am going to book to go back next Christmas. The room service was amazing and webwere looked after by Mustafa very well. All the restaurant staff were great and they always made you laugh and were very helpful. The animation team were very good and they did a very good job each day. If you are thinking of booking this holiday do it and you will not be disappointed. My daughter has now booked to go again in March. Thank you all so much Tulip Resort we loved it
Marie McMonagle

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Marie M
New England, North Dakota
Reviewed 17 January 2013

this is the scond time for me in the hotel and i found on this visit some thing wrong , my room was very dirty there is only one towel for two person , no shampoo ....i remmembered in my first visit i met the cleaning manager and he welcomed me so much and i asked for him they told me he had been left , the GM had to returned him back inorder to come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kiboijp j
Bristol
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Returned from the tulip resort just under a week ago and i miss it very much. This hotel and the grounds and location are gorgeous. The room was spacious and had everything we needed.
We upgraded to VIP inclusive for and extra £36 per person for week which included 24 drinks, unlimited bottled water, 1 visit per week to the beach restaurant, fruit bowl in the room once per week, refill of the mini bar once per week (excluding wine), 1 visit per week to Port Ghalib (although I found it to be pointless as it was very artificial), slippers and dressing gowns and more. Well worth the little extra especially to drink after 11pm without having to pay for it!

The staff were great throughout our stay, including the management. Their hospitality was second to none.

The animation team weren't mine or my friends thing, my only criticism would be for them to listen, I don't want to have to keep saying no to them for my full 2 week vacation! And a couple of the younger ones were quite rude. Very clicky bunch of people. But the people who seemed to like entertainment seemed to like them so like I said, just not my thing.

Never had any issues with the food, it was varied and delicious throughout the whole 2 weeks. They have different themes every night i.e. Mexican, Egyptian, Indian, Italian etc. I never heard anyone complain, now that is saying something! :)

We were there for Christmas and New Year. The gala dinner for Christmas was on Christmas Eve, strange for us Brits not to celebrate it on Christmas Day (25th), but that didn't stop the party from being great. Food was brilliant, the entertainment good and the atmosphere was spot on. We opted on booking in the beach restaurant for Christmas night and weren't let down. Took a bottle of champers from duty free with us and it totally made our day, after a hard days sunbathing! Ha.
The New Year's Eve gala was fabulous too, the entertainment even better.

The beach is gorgeous, although some people, need I mention their nationality, were very greedy with the wind breakers. The sea (from the beach) was cold, although there are 2 heated pools and the sea off the jetty was fine. Snorkelling might I add was the best I've seen in Egypt yet, massive house reef and we even saw dolphins!

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel in the gorgeous and peaceful area of Marsa Alam. If you want a reasonable priced holiday in a beautiful setting and grounds and in a peaceful location and only 5 hours from the uk then I urge you to go! You will not be disappointed.

X <3 X

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank MissBlondie
Hurghada, Egypt
Reviewed 17 December 2012

we go to this hotel and orca diving the hotel is very good rooms , food ,but the diving very bad the person lost experience for diving , some people don't understand English .
the orca management need to replay the work plane , plz understand what i mean .

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Nada Resort
Nada Resort
#44 of 68 in Marsa Alam
Concorde Moreen Beach Resort & Spa Marsa Alam

Been to Magic Tulip Beach Resort? Share your experiences!