“Perfect Winter Sun Chill Out”

Brayka Bay Reef Resort
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Marsa Alam
buckinghamshire
“Perfect Winter Sun Chill Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed at Brayka Bay for a week on 18th march. We were looking for a place to go for some winter sunshine where we could chill out completely. Brayka Bay delivered exactly that! We booked with Portland (Thompson) and the whole process was very smooth. We were greeted with a welcome drink and shown to our rooms.
We were very happy with the room. We were a party of three adults (ladies) and we had three single beds, which was good. The room was in Oasis block and had a great view across the garden of the pool and the sea. The rooms are fairly spacious and clean, bottled water is put in your fridge everyday. We were told to make sure you finish the water or you won’t be given a new one the next day. We did have a small safe in our room but I’m not sure if they are only in certain rooms as I had read that some didn’t have one.
The grounds are very pretty, always kept tidy. The pool was great, really tranquil and nice sun-beds. The pool towel man was always helpful, you give your towel cards in when you get the towels and collect them when you return the towels each day.
The beach is also fantastic, very peaceful and you can walk into the sea on the sandy bit in the centre you don’t have to walk out on a jetty like some other places. Good for shallow paddlers.
There are trips you can go on but we were there for one reason only, to lounge in the sun and there was plenty of sunshine.
The food was fine, we always found there was something to have and something to make a meal out of rather than just picking random bits like you can end up doing sometimes at buffets. We enjoyed a freshly cooked omelette every morning from the super fast omelette chef! There were quite a lot of people like some other reviewers have said but it is a big complex really for the size of the dining room. We never had a problem with it being too crowded though.
The entertainment was actually not bad. An Italian animation team runs it, but it was mainly comedy sketches some of which were quite funny and seemed to translate across nationalities. The not so good stuff was still good for a laugh, such as the piano bar singer, well he wasn’t that bad but let’s just say he’s not going to be signed by Simon Cowel any time soon! The main show is in the amphitheatre, but there were no cushions my pashmina scarf thingy came in handy. The piano guy was in the bar some nights and there is also a disco, but we never ventured in there.
You can sit in Tiffanys’s bar and have a drink; they also have high tea in there in the afternoon. A lot of people were playing cards in there at night too. You can also sit in the reception area, which is really nice with lots of comfy sofas.
Thompson rate the hotel as a 4 star I think and this seems about right to me although it is a much better standard than a 4 star you would get in some places in Europe.
As for some of the negative reviews, I don’t know what some people are expecting when they go to Egypt but if they have nothing better to do than find a cracked tile when they go on holiday that seems a bit sad really!
We will definitely be returning to Brayka Bay, as we really enjoyed it and found it very relaxing, just what we ordered.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank ba99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

What a little gem nestled in on the Red Sea coast. Hotel was beautiful, staff were without exception super friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic - unrivalled choice, beautifully presented and there was something for everyone. Never having been all inclusive before, we didn't really know what to expect but had high expectations - and we were not disappointed! Our room was spotless, had super views and was very nicely furnished. The cleaner created a different sculpture from the blankets on our bed every day - you name it - from swans to hearts to sting ray - complete with hibiscus petals! Beach was beautiful, snorkelling amazing, diving facilities superb. The Italian entertainment troupe were absolute top class - hilariously funny and talented and provided so much variety that every taste in music and humour was catered for. The spa and massages were delicious. Extensive gardens were superbly maintained - lush and colourful. Can't wait to return.

6 Thank suebedoo44
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

Having read some of the reveiws we were a bit worried about about staying at the Brayka Bay, we had stayed at the Dreams Beach in Marsa Alam last year which was fine and noticed that a lot of people were going to the Brayka Bay so we decided to try it this year. We did not know what to expect but after staying there I would not rule out going back again, there were a few minor complaints such as not enough cutlery at lunch and dinner and the unpleasant staff at the main bar that moaned if you gave them to much work to do and also the lack of a good on site shop but apart from that everything else was fine. Our room which was in the sports block was fine and was kept clean and tidy by the maid who always left plenty of water in the room, the food was not 5* standard but there was always good choice especially with BBQ at dinner and we had no stomach problems during our stay, the gardens were well kept and the pool area and the smaller beach were not to crowded which was not the case with the main beach which was to busy I would not go to this hotel in the high season as I think they would unable to cope when the hotel was full but as I said I would go back in the low season as we both enjoyed our stay there.

3 Thank tkbScotland
London init!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

Be warned!
Take other reviews you see with a pinch of salt! A holiday is often what you make it and some people seem to be very picky. We nearly didn't go on this holiday because of previous reviews but because of the dive centre on site we decided to risk it. We had a great time!

Sea too salty! Rocks too rocky! Sun that burns you! Flowers too colourful!
Come on!

The thing to bear in mind are that any hotel in Egypt that sells itself as a 5* is almost certainly not going to be. I don't know what you would rate Brayka Resort but I thought it was more than appropriate for the cost of the holiday (Maybe 4*).

Firstly, the dive centre was the most military opperation I have ever seen, it was excellent. Very well organised, and enabled you to do whatever fitted in with your prefered style of holiday. Brayka bay has a great house reef so we could have a relaxing morning then decide to pop over to the dive centre for a quick dip. Get our gear on, jump into a rib (dingy with motor), be taken to the reef and dive back into the shore on our own. The dive centre has too many other style of trip to mention, but I would highly recommend the speedboat dive trip to Elphinstone (if you are AOWD and have done more than 25dives) and Dolphin House (Even if you are snorkling, do Dolphin House). If you don't dive, the dive centre do a free taster dive in the pool which if you manage okay, they will then take you into the bay for a dive (at a cost).

As far as the room goes, it was fine, bed, bathroom, four walls and a balcony. Previous reviews said they were not happy with the amount of water they were allowed. We were given a 2litre bottle every day when the room was made up, and a smaller bottle with lunch and dinner. there was other places to refill these bottles if you wanted, and a constant supply other teas, coffee, pop etc. We didn't find hydration a problem at all.

Service was fine in the restaurant. Don't be fooled, it is a very large resort and there is only one restaurant. It is a bit of a scrum. I imagine as it goes towards peak season, it may even get worse. With a bit a patience, and on occasions some pointy elbows, we managed not to starve!!! We didn't have any problems with our guts at all, and didn't meet anyone else that did, however, if there were problems, I would imagine it was because of the copious quanities of food that people had on their plates and the speed at which they hoovered it up.

The entertainment is not normally something I would bother with, but because of the bad reviews I had seen, I made a point of going at least once. I went three times. It was very amusing, sometimes because it was so bad, and sometimes because it was genius.

The grounds are really lovely, with little heron type birds hopping around. There is a large outdoor and an indoor pool, for when the wind is up (you will still get burnt when it is windy).

All in all. we had a fantastic time. If you are a diver, you will love it for a relaxing break!

5 Thank Scargill_78
Hatfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

Hi!

Last week I came back from holidays in Brayka Bay Hotel. I bought these holidays through Thomson and I spent in Marsa Alam 1 week. the hotel is 4 star however it may be 4 star in egypt but somewhere else it would be evaluated lower. As it was mentioned in previous reviews - it is middle of nowhere so if you want to see pyramids do not go there as it is very far away. It was really nice there, the weather was brilliant ( 28 degrees ), warm see - perfect time for holidays. When we arrived to hotel we were given a room on a groundfloor but The next day it was changed to a room located on a second floor ( as I insisted on it ). Food - could have been better but it was not so bad, I think everyone could find something to eat. I did not have any stomach problems. On breakfast you could choose from pancakes, omlets, scambled eggs, sausages, boiled eggs, youghurs, cereals, cheese, cottage cheese. There was as well big choice of bread, buns and cakes. Lunch and dinner ( very similar ) - rice, potatoes or chips, meat, fish, vegetables, salads, spaghetti. Sometimes they prepared something special ( kebabs ).There were fresh fruits ( bananas, guavas, oranges ). I forgot about afternoon tea at 4pm. I noticed that they really tried to do their best. Remember that there is no cash mashine in hotel so take some money with you. Take as well some books, ipods, sudoku as there is nothing to do. Do not take any towels as you will be given new ones every day. During my stay people maily spent their time on a beach as it was nicer that in pool. Trips - very expensive and overpriced in my opinion. Of course they will ecourage you to go everywhere as Egypt is beautiful but paying £199 for trip to Cairo is just too much. There were just few Russians in hotel, most of people were from Italy ( you will recognize them easily as the behave very loudly. All in all it was wonderful time but one week was definietely enough for me.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Malgosia_S
Retford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

We went for a fortnight and my sister and brother-in-law joined us for the second week we worried a bit after reading some of the reviews but i thought it was o.k. if you want to just chill out. It was very windy throughout our stay which was a problem, we all got burnt as you just didn't notice the heat until it was too late, it also meant the visibility for snorkelling was very poor. We have been to Sharm twice and the types and numbers of fish here was quite limited to what we had seen in Sharm which was very dissapointing.The pool was not heated and was really very cold to the point that we just didn't bother most days as we got very cold once we got out with the wind, which really did'nt leave much to do. Put it this way, if you want to totally chill this is the place to go. The food was quite good much like all egyptian hotels it was quite repeatative, the real problem with the food here was that it totally caters for the Italians, so lots of pasta but we always found something to eat..The out side bar-b-que was always good and you can always fill up on pudding which are great. One word of worning though, about 80% of the cake had nuts in it so if you have nut allergies beware!! The rooms were clean and very big, my sister had a newley refurbished one which had a safe in the room which would have been better as we had to use the ones in the reception. The gardens were gorgeous and all the staff were very helpfull and happy with the exception of the staff in the Tiffanys bar who were on the whole unhelpfull and obviousley fed up, but then if I had to work in such a souless room I might feel the same!! The pool bar is much better and you don't have to put up with the bad piano singer, smoke and noise. All the entertainment was aimed at the italians, slap stick rubbish. We never made it through a whole show. One very important thing, they have a clinic on site with a daily doctor, as both myself and my sister were ill while we were there they were fantastic, my sister ended up in the hospital (nothing to do with the hotel) in marsa alam and was very well cared for. Over all we wouldn't go back as we prefered sharm (lots more to do and better snorkelling) we did have a good time and totaly chilled to the point of being bored some times, just take some cards and games with you and enjoy. Most importanly take Euros as they don't like their own money!! If you become so fed up like we did you can take a taxi (40 Euros for three hours) to Port Ghalib which has a TGI Fridays, Costa coffee and Pizza Hut , and some shops - very nice. Don't leave shopping until the air port as there is nothing there and it is priced in us dollars - very expensive. I did have a cleopatra massage when i first got there and i have got the best tan i have ever had well worth the money and embaresment of being naked (except for the paper thong!!) in front of a very professional masseur, if you don't tan try it i was amazed.
Any questions - please ask!

2 Thank Retford_Chris
essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

I've just returned from Brayka Bay. After reading the mostly good reviews it was given on this site, we decided book.... I'm left wondering if I went to the same resort as these people?! When you arrive, everywhere looks idyllic, but after a few hours you realize that unfortunately it's only on the surface: Firstly the hotel is nowhere near a 4/5* resort. I have stayed in Egypt before in a 4* and it was much much better than this. I would rate the hotel as a 2* at most (and I'm really not being harsh). The room was basic (no tea/coffee making facilities) TV but no English channels and a fridge. The beds: I've slept on softer carpets! When we arrived in the room, I noticed ring marks from cups on one of the surfaces...they were there when we left! However everywhere else had been cleaned and fresh towels and a bottle of water were put in the room every day. There was no safe in room, superior/beach views did have own safe, but apart from that were exactly the same (not worth any extra money). I agree that the gardens were lovely, but I overheard a couple being told that they would have to move, as they were not allowed to sit on the grass! The snorkeling we found to be very poor around the hotel reefs compared to other hotels I've stayed and my partner and myself couldn't work out what the hell every one was looking at (there's better visibility and variety in my pond at home). Having said that, it was probably much better if you swam right out, but unless you take a wetsuit you will probably freeze to death before you get there (joke!). Also if you are going to this resort take some shoes you can wear in the sea as it is very rocky walking in, which is where I assume the blood came from (read on, it gets better). The beach looked lovely but we were constantly hassled by workers trying to sell you trips/massages etc. Blood was found on several sun bed mattresses, which we obviously found a bit of a put off. I agree that the restaurant was better when the new one opened, but the food was very same'y, if your a veggie, you will be living off bread, plain rice and pasta for the duration of your stay. I found that the pasta station where they cooked the dish in front of you was the only food that was really piping hot and was quite nice, but was the same ingredients offered every evening and lunch time. We sat down one evening at a laid table to eat our dinner, when my partner pulled the napkin out from under his plate to wipe his mouth only to discover the napkin had blots of blood on it, thankfully we noticed it just before it touched his mouth (this did only happen one night out of seven, but frankly should not have happened at all). Make sure you take your mobile as I forgot mine and it cost me £3 per min to call the UK through the hotel reception. The entertainment consisted mostly of a guy on a keyboard singing well known songs, it was so bad, that it was quite entertaining and I'm sure he was just singing random English words and not the proper ones, lets just say, take some cards...Oh and one of those electric bats for the flies (trust me, you will be pleased that you did), and a wind breaker (unless you want to get up at 5am to put your towel on the beds with one). Be aware of the Pharmacy as my partner came up in an allergic rash on his chest, he was charged 50euros for the doctor to confirm it was indeed a rash, the total bill charged was 120euros which included an injection, some antihistamine tablets and anti- itchy cream (a bit ott). Having said this everything else was lovely!lol

1 Thank shesheconif