“Amazing hotel. . . . Why do people complain ? ?”

Brayka Bay Reef Resort
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Marsa Alam
warrington
“Amazing hotel. . . . Why do people complain ? ?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed at the Brayka Bay for a week, and honestly found it hard to find fault with anything. The hotel would not be classed as a 5 star standard in the UK, BUT it was immaculate, the staff were attentive and friendly and the food was varied, with a different meat on the BBQ every night. The food was always piping hot and there was something to please everyone, we intend to return in August with 3 children as the food would even please 3 picky eaters.

Before we went we were aware that this hotel was isolated and that there was little much to do in the evenings, but we went prepared with playing cards and were in bed before 11.00 every night due to exhaustion having been up at 6.00am. Yes, what others have said, the sun beds do get ‘reserved’ early with towels, but we found it warm enough to go in the sea and sunbathe at 6.30 so quickly adapted our body clocks to early mornings and early nights! Hence we are unable to comment on the evening entertainment as we never got there, but others we spoke to were not that impressed.

The reef is amazing and the fish can viewed from the moment you step into the sea. We did several trips, we went to Hamata Isalnds and would defiantly go again, we went to Abu Dabbab and would defiantly go again, and we went to Port Ghalib, and although glad to have gone would not go again. Also the Super Safari, glad we did it, but would not do it again. If you are going to book any trips, book them with the Dive Centre [the guys on the beach], whilst out they were very informative and eager to make our time with them enjoyable.

The rooms were spacious and very clean, nice large balcony with a wonderful view of the gardens and beach. The room boy was friendly and left a different toel sculpture every day, along with fresh bottles of water in the fridge. Never did we have the need to use a water dispenser as there are ample bottles of water available at mealtimes and from the room boy in your fridge.

Whilst away I was ill, my partner wasn’t, and we mainly ate the same, so I suppose it was just one of those things, the Doctor on the site was very professional and I was treated quickly. I will be returning again, so don’t let this put you off; we did not meet anyone else that became ill.

Although a bit expensive, the Cleopatra Massage was quite an experience and very professional, however the staff in the Health Centre pestered us afterwards to return.

If you are looking to get away from everything, and are content to scuba/snorkel/sunbathe/drink/eat/sleep and entertain yourselves in other ways if you’re not too exhausted by the latter, this is the ideal hotel to go to.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kayla99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Greater Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

I was so stressed at work I had no time to choose a holiday, so this was booked last minute, totally by chance i.e. available! I am SO glad I did. I went with my teenage son. It was a divine, relaxing holiday. The hotel, rooms, gardens, food and staff were brilliant. I had no tummy trouble (I suffer from IBS). I want to go back definitely. I would agree with everything Marion says in her review (I met her & partner on last couple of days). Just wish I was rich enough to take all my friends for a month! My son loved it so much he wants to forget university and go back there to work!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank ourloveiseasy
Putney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

My partner and I agree with every positive thing said about Brayka Bay and really cannot understand the negative ones. We had an absolutely idyllic week at this resort and couldn't have asked for anything more. It was literally almost perfect and only "almost" because the week flew by and we wished we could stay longer.

To be honest, Suebedoo has summed this up better than I can find the words for, but I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, "The hotel was beautiful, with incredible gardens, the staff were without exception super friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic - unrivalled choice, beautifully presented and there was something for everyone. Our room was spotless, had super views and was very nicely furnished. The cleaner created a different sculpture from the blankets on our bed every day - you name it - from swans to hearts to sting ray - complete with hibiscus petals! Beach was beautiful, snorkelling amazing, diving facilities superb. The Italian entertainment troupe were absolute top class - hilariously funny and talented and provided so much variety that every taste in music and humour was catered for. The spa and massages were delicious. Extensive gardens were superbly maintained - lush and colourful. Can't wait to return."

The only difference is I have travelled all inclusive before (I've visited 42 countries, staying in everything from 5*+ hotels to huts on the beach) and I still rate this hotel extremely highly. The food and drink were top class, with no tummy upsets as can often be the case, and the chefs are so nice they even offered to make special dishes every night for my vegetarian friend so she had variation. (If you have a birthday, they also all dance around the restaurant beating a drum with a cake and then sing "happy birthday" at your table!)

We really couldn't have asked for anything more and are already planning a longer trip back there next year, which is the first time I will ever have returned to exactly the same place.

5 Thank Marionlikestotravel
buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed at Brayka Bay for a week on 18th march. We were looking for a place to go for some winter sunshine where we could chill out completely. Brayka Bay delivered exactly that! We booked with Portland (Thompson) and the whole process was very smooth. We were greeted with a welcome drink and shown to our rooms.
We were very happy with the room. We were a party of three adults (ladies) and we had three single beds, which was good. The room was in Oasis block and had a great view across the garden of the pool and the sea. The rooms are fairly spacious and clean, bottled water is put in your fridge everyday. We were told to make sure you finish the water or you won’t be given a new one the next day. We did have a small safe in our room but I’m not sure if they are only in certain rooms as I had read that some didn’t have one.
The grounds are very pretty, always kept tidy. The pool was great, really tranquil and nice sun-beds. The pool towel man was always helpful, you give your towel cards in when you get the towels and collect them when you return the towels each day.
The beach is also fantastic, very peaceful and you can walk into the sea on the sandy bit in the centre you don’t have to walk out on a jetty like some other places. Good for shallow paddlers.
There are trips you can go on but we were there for one reason only, to lounge in the sun and there was plenty of sunshine.
The food was fine, we always found there was something to have and something to make a meal out of rather than just picking random bits like you can end up doing sometimes at buffets. We enjoyed a freshly cooked omelette every morning from the super fast omelette chef! There were quite a lot of people like some other reviewers have said but it is a big complex really for the size of the dining room. We never had a problem with it being too crowded though.
The entertainment was actually not bad. An Italian animation team runs it, but it was mainly comedy sketches some of which were quite funny and seemed to translate across nationalities. The not so good stuff was still good for a laugh, such as the piano bar singer, well he wasn’t that bad but let’s just say he’s not going to be signed by Simon Cowel any time soon! The main show is in the amphitheatre, but there were no cushions my pashmina scarf thingy came in handy. The piano guy was in the bar some nights and there is also a disco, but we never ventured in there.
You can sit in Tiffanys’s bar and have a drink; they also have high tea in there in the afternoon. A lot of people were playing cards in there at night too. You can also sit in the reception area, which is really nice with lots of comfy sofas.
Thompson rate the hotel as a 4 star I think and this seems about right to me although it is a much better standard than a 4 star you would get in some places in Europe.
As for some of the negative reviews, I don’t know what some people are expecting when they go to Egypt but if they have nothing better to do than find a cracked tile when they go on holiday that seems a bit sad really!
We will definitely be returning to Brayka Bay, as we really enjoyed it and found it very relaxing, just what we ordered.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank ba99
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

What a little gem nestled in on the Red Sea coast. Hotel was beautiful, staff were without exception super friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic - unrivalled choice, beautifully presented and there was something for everyone. Never having been all inclusive before, we didn't really know what to expect but had high expectations - and we were not disappointed! Our room was spotless, had super views and was very nicely furnished. The cleaner created a different sculpture from the blankets on our bed every day - you name it - from swans to hearts to sting ray - complete with hibiscus petals! Beach was beautiful, snorkelling amazing, diving facilities superb. The Italian entertainment troupe were absolute top class - hilariously funny and talented and provided so much variety that every taste in music and humour was catered for. The spa and massages were delicious. Extensive gardens were superbly maintained - lush and colourful. Can't wait to return.

6 Thank suebedoo44
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

Having read some of the reveiws we were a bit worried about about staying at the Brayka Bay, we had stayed at the Dreams Beach in Marsa Alam last year which was fine and noticed that a lot of people were going to the Brayka Bay so we decided to try it this year. We did not know what to expect but after staying there I would not rule out going back again, there were a few minor complaints such as not enough cutlery at lunch and dinner and the unpleasant staff at the main bar that moaned if you gave them to much work to do and also the lack of a good on site shop but apart from that everything else was fine. Our room which was in the sports block was fine and was kept clean and tidy by the maid who always left plenty of water in the room, the food was not 5* standard but there was always good choice especially with BBQ at dinner and we had no stomach problems during our stay, the gardens were well kept and the pool area and the smaller beach were not to crowded which was not the case with the main beach which was to busy I would not go to this hotel in the high season as I think they would unable to cope when the hotel was full but as I said I would go back in the low season as we both enjoyed our stay there.

3 Thank tkbScotland
London init!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

Be warned!
Take other reviews you see with a pinch of salt! A holiday is often what you make it and some people seem to be very picky. We nearly didn't go on this holiday because of previous reviews but because of the dive centre on site we decided to risk it. We had a great time!

Sea too salty! Rocks too rocky! Sun that burns you! Flowers too colourful!
Come on!

The thing to bear in mind are that any hotel in Egypt that sells itself as a 5* is almost certainly not going to be. I don't know what you would rate Brayka Resort but I thought it was more than appropriate for the cost of the holiday (Maybe 4*).

Firstly, the dive centre was the most military opperation I have ever seen, it was excellent. Very well organised, and enabled you to do whatever fitted in with your prefered style of holiday. Brayka bay has a great house reef so we could have a relaxing morning then decide to pop over to the dive centre for a quick dip. Get our gear on, jump into a rib (dingy with motor), be taken to the reef and dive back into the shore on our own. The dive centre has too many other style of trip to mention, but I would highly recommend the speedboat dive trip to Elphinstone (if you are AOWD and have done more than 25dives) and Dolphin House (Even if you are snorkling, do Dolphin House). If you don't dive, the dive centre do a free taster dive in the pool which if you manage okay, they will then take you into the bay for a dive (at a cost).

As far as the room goes, it was fine, bed, bathroom, four walls and a balcony. Previous reviews said they were not happy with the amount of water they were allowed. We were given a 2litre bottle every day when the room was made up, and a smaller bottle with lunch and dinner. there was other places to refill these bottles if you wanted, and a constant supply other teas, coffee, pop etc. We didn't find hydration a problem at all.

Service was fine in the restaurant. Don't be fooled, it is a very large resort and there is only one restaurant. It is a bit of a scrum. I imagine as it goes towards peak season, it may even get worse. With a bit a patience, and on occasions some pointy elbows, we managed not to starve!!! We didn't have any problems with our guts at all, and didn't meet anyone else that did, however, if there were problems, I would imagine it was because of the copious quanities of food that people had on their plates and the speed at which they hoovered it up.

The entertainment is not normally something I would bother with, but because of the bad reviews I had seen, I made a point of going at least once. I went three times. It was very amusing, sometimes because it was so bad, and sometimes because it was genius.

The grounds are really lovely, with little heron type birds hopping around. There is a large outdoor and an indoor pool, for when the wind is up (you will still get burnt when it is windy).

All in all. we had a fantastic time. If you are a diver, you will love it for a relaxing break!

5 Thank Scargill_78