“Exactly What We Wanted - A relaxing beach holiday, in the sun, on a budget.”

Brayka Bay Reef Resort
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Exactly What We Wanted - A relaxing beach holiday, in the sun, on a budget.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

Just returned from a fantastic week at Brayka Bay.

Flights and Transfers
Flights with Thomson went well; we landed, got to the coach and were greeted by a Portland/Thomson/First Choice rep. Transfer to the hotel took roughly 1 hour. On the coach we paid a £15 Visa fee per person. We paid this in Egyptian £ but we could also have paid in Euros or most likely English pounds too.

Check in and Room
Check in was quick, they had already allocated our rooms and our baggage was taken to our rooms for us. Our room was in a semi-detached bungalow with private bathroom. We didn’t have a sea view and were at first disappointed but then realised it was in a good location, no steps to climb and also quiet and peaceful. There was air conditioning which came with a recommendation to have it on 25 degrees centigrade. We at first found this too hot but we persevered and by the time we’d come back from dinner (on till 10pm I believe) we found we’d acclimatised and this was the perfect temperature. We left it on this setting the rest of the time and it was fine.

The food was good, we didn’t get ill. Everyday you get 2 x1.5 litre bottled waters in your fridge. If you don’t drink them they won’t replace them. If you needed a top up there were dispensers from bottled water around the hotel. Breakfast was a selection of pancakes, omelettes and fried eggs being cooked in front of you to order. There were some hot foods which I didn’t really eat (being quite content with eating lots of pancakes). There was toast, pineapple and orange juice and sometimes Hibiscus juice (a local speciality). Fruit and yoghurts and the usual selection of cakes.
Lunch and dinner were similar always having the fresh pasta option but dinner had the additional benefit of fresh cooking outside on the grills. While we were there (a week) we had many different meats and some local delicacies which we always tried and found that they tended to be the best options always being really hot and fresh. I’ve been to one other hotel in Sharm El Sheikh and Brayka Bay was miles better.

The Beach

The beach was big and beautiful. The sea was lovely and warm and the reefs were teeming with gorgeous fish. Possibly not as good as in Sharm but still great. I did see a sea snake which have since found out was most likely poisonous but I was fine, thank goodness. I liked that you could walk straight into the sea without usin a Jetty to see the fish. It was also very shallow for a large proportion of it which was good for playing games in and also for children.
The pool bar served cocktails, fruit juices, coke (proper coke and coke zero from bottles) and popcorn (2 for 1Euro). If you asked, you sometimes got crisps but they ran out of these fairly often. One day we left our snorkels by accident at the beach. Remembering at midnight we trekked down to the beach to find them gone. We were so upset but on returning in the morning the nice towel boys had found them and hung them safely inside the towel hut. Never had a problem finding a sun lounger at any time of the day.

Entertainment
The Italian entertainment team provided nightly shows and were absolutely hilarious. We went to all of them in the week there and laughed at all their funny sketches. They were humour without words so all nationalities could understand. We enjoyed getting drinks from the pool bar and walking over to the open air theatre to watch.

The All inclusive

Covered pretty much everything bar massages, shisha (1.5 euros), popcorn and internet (5Euro an hour).

Right well I think that’s it, all in all exactly what we were after. A relaxing beach holiday, in the sun, on a budget. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. We didn’t get ill and we didn’t think the hotel was too busy.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lufbra_Girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

went early april, we were in rooms 3204/3205 they were good rooms with nice view of the pool and beach, rooms were clean and large with a walk in shower, ac, tv and fridge which had 2 large waters left in each day, had clean towels and sheets each day with bed art each day! food was excellent with a wide choice i.e. soup salads meats pasta rice and barbeque outside, the food looked lovely and tasted good to. drinks were local beer, wine, water and branded pop also tea coffe. the grounds are lovely but you cant sit on the grass as they spray it with bug reppellent to keep the bugs at bay which worked as ther wer'nt many flys. the grounds had many flowers and cranes wandering about. the beach is good ,one busy one and one quiet one, to get in the sea you have to enter from the busy larger beach as there is a coral reef which you cant walk on, the reef is very good with many fish stingrays and even a turtle and the coral is colorful. the entertaint is good but a little strange which in a stange way makes it good. the spa is good but do haggle as you get it a bit cheaper. the gyms ok with views over the pool. staff are very good and friendly. the pool chap is very friendly and helpful.
regarding tips i tipped the room man 70 ep each week the pool man 5/10 ep each day and the waiter at the bar in tiffanys 5/10 a night but you dont have to. the rep was very good her name was gillian from thomas cook. went on 3 trips luxor 2 day with ballon very good but long journey 6 hrs, turtle/seacow trip good but would have liked more time, and dolphin trip which is good as you swim with dolphins which we did but you may not see them we were lucky. all in all a very good hotel and holiday

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank bolsoverderbys
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

Myself and 3 of my friends all went to Brayka Bay on the 1st April. When we arrived we we were greeted brilliantly and our cases were taken to our rooms for us whilst we were given the tour of the hotel. The sky was clear and the breeze in the air was perfect. The hotel has its own beach and if you buy a snorkel (cheaper to get one in the UK) you only have to walk out 10 feet to see gorgeous fish. The coral is stunning but don;t touch it as you can kill it.
They hotel entertainment was great as it was for both for children and adults and all the reps were very friendly. The hotel staff did everything for us, we were treated like princesses.
The food was superb, something for everyone and the salad is fine to eat as its washed in bottled water.
I could go on and on about this hotel as was the best holiday ive ever had! All 4 of us are going again next year only next time were taking more of us which the staff at the hotel were happy to hear as they thought mancunians were alot of fun!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank emz111
warrington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed at the Brayka Bay for a week, and honestly found it hard to find fault with anything. The hotel would not be classed as a 5 star standard in the UK, BUT it was immaculate, the staff were attentive and friendly and the food was varied, with a different meat on the BBQ every night. The food was always piping hot and there was something to please everyone, we intend to return in August with 3 children as the food would even please 3 picky eaters.

Before we went we were aware that this hotel was isolated and that there was little much to do in the evenings, but we went prepared with playing cards and were in bed before 11.00 every night due to exhaustion having been up at 6.00am. Yes, what others have said, the sun beds do get ‘reserved’ early with towels, but we found it warm enough to go in the sea and sunbathe at 6.30 so quickly adapted our body clocks to early mornings and early nights! Hence we are unable to comment on the evening entertainment as we never got there, but others we spoke to were not that impressed.

The reef is amazing and the fish can viewed from the moment you step into the sea. We did several trips, we went to Hamata Isalnds and would defiantly go again, we went to Abu Dabbab and would defiantly go again, and we went to Port Ghalib, and although glad to have gone would not go again. Also the Super Safari, glad we did it, but would not do it again. If you are going to book any trips, book them with the Dive Centre [the guys on the beach], whilst out they were very informative and eager to make our time with them enjoyable.

The rooms were spacious and very clean, nice large balcony with a wonderful view of the gardens and beach. The room boy was friendly and left a different toel sculpture every day, along with fresh bottles of water in the fridge. Never did we have the need to use a water dispenser as there are ample bottles of water available at mealtimes and from the room boy in your fridge.

Whilst away I was ill, my partner wasn’t, and we mainly ate the same, so I suppose it was just one of those things, the Doctor on the site was very professional and I was treated quickly. I will be returning again, so don’t let this put you off; we did not meet anyone else that became ill.

Although a bit expensive, the Cleopatra Massage was quite an experience and very professional, however the staff in the Health Centre pestered us afterwards to return.

If you are looking to get away from everything, and are content to scuba/snorkel/sunbathe/drink/eat/sleep and entertain yourselves in other ways if you’re not too exhausted by the latter, this is the ideal hotel to go to.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kayla99
Greater Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

I was so stressed at work I had no time to choose a holiday, so this was booked last minute, totally by chance i.e. available! I am SO glad I did. I went with my teenage son. It was a divine, relaxing holiday. The hotel, rooms, gardens, food and staff were brilliant. I had no tummy trouble (I suffer from IBS). I want to go back definitely. I would agree with everything Marion says in her review (I met her & partner on last couple of days). Just wish I was rich enough to take all my friends for a month! My son loved it so much he wants to forget university and go back there to work!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank ourloveiseasy
Putney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

My partner and I agree with every positive thing said about Brayka Bay and really cannot understand the negative ones. We had an absolutely idyllic week at this resort and couldn't have asked for anything more. It was literally almost perfect and only "almost" because the week flew by and we wished we could stay longer.

To be honest, Suebedoo has summed this up better than I can find the words for, but I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, "The hotel was beautiful, with incredible gardens, the staff were without exception super friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic - unrivalled choice, beautifully presented and there was something for everyone. Our room was spotless, had super views and was very nicely furnished. The cleaner created a different sculpture from the blankets on our bed every day - you name it - from swans to hearts to sting ray - complete with hibiscus petals! Beach was beautiful, snorkelling amazing, diving facilities superb. The Italian entertainment troupe were absolute top class - hilariously funny and talented and provided so much variety that every taste in music and humour was catered for. The spa and massages were delicious. Extensive gardens were superbly maintained - lush and colourful. Can't wait to return."

The only difference is I have travelled all inclusive before (I've visited 42 countries, staying in everything from 5*+ hotels to huts on the beach) and I still rate this hotel extremely highly. The food and drink were top class, with no tummy upsets as can often be the case, and the chefs are so nice they even offered to make special dishes every night for my vegetarian friend so she had variation. (If you have a birthday, they also all dance around the restaurant beating a drum with a cake and then sing "happy birthday" at your table!)

We really couldn't have asked for anything more and are already planning a longer trip back there next year, which is the first time I will ever have returned to exactly the same place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Marionlikestotravel
buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed at Brayka Bay for a week on 18th march. We were looking for a place to go for some winter sunshine where we could chill out completely. Brayka Bay delivered exactly that! We booked with Portland (Thompson) and the whole process was very smooth. We were greeted with a welcome drink and shown to our rooms.
We were very happy with the room. We were a party of three adults (ladies) and we had three single beds, which was good. The room was in Oasis block and had a great view across the garden of the pool and the sea. The rooms are fairly spacious and clean, bottled water is put in your fridge everyday. We were told to make sure you finish the water or you won’t be given a new one the next day. We did have a small safe in our room but I’m not sure if they are only in certain rooms as I had read that some didn’t have one.
The grounds are very pretty, always kept tidy. The pool was great, really tranquil and nice sun-beds. The pool towel man was always helpful, you give your towel cards in when you get the towels and collect them when you return the towels each day.
The beach is also fantastic, very peaceful and you can walk into the sea on the sandy bit in the centre you don’t have to walk out on a jetty like some other places. Good for shallow paddlers.
There are trips you can go on but we were there for one reason only, to lounge in the sun and there was plenty of sunshine.
The food was fine, we always found there was something to have and something to make a meal out of rather than just picking random bits like you can end up doing sometimes at buffets. We enjoyed a freshly cooked omelette every morning from the super fast omelette chef! There were quite a lot of people like some other reviewers have said but it is a big complex really for the size of the dining room. We never had a problem with it being too crowded though.
The entertainment was actually not bad. An Italian animation team runs it, but it was mainly comedy sketches some of which were quite funny and seemed to translate across nationalities. The not so good stuff was still good for a laugh, such as the piano bar singer, well he wasn’t that bad but let’s just say he’s not going to be signed by Simon Cowel any time soon! The main show is in the amphitheatre, but there were no cushions my pashmina scarf thingy came in handy. The piano guy was in the bar some nights and there is also a disco, but we never ventured in there.
You can sit in Tiffanys’s bar and have a drink; they also have high tea in there in the afternoon. A lot of people were playing cards in there at night too. You can also sit in the reception area, which is really nice with lots of comfy sofas.
Thompson rate the hotel as a 4 star I think and this seems about right to me although it is a much better standard than a 4 star you would get in some places in Europe.
As for some of the negative reviews, I don’t know what some people are expecting when they go to Egypt but if they have nothing better to do than find a cracked tile when they go on holiday that seems a bit sad really!
We will definitely be returning to Brayka Bay, as we really enjoyed it and found it very relaxing, just what we ordered.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family