“Stan Stephens is the best!”
Review of Columbia Glacier

and up
Columbia Glacier Cruise from Valdez
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Valdez
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest tidewater glacier in Alaska.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

What a great trip we had! Weather was cloudy at times so we were a little worried. We had taken the Kenai Fjord tour out of Skagway and got weathered out of the Gulf of Alaska and had to turn back. However this day the weather cooperated and seemed to clear up just in time throughout the day. We saw lots of gorgeous views, breathtaking glaciers and lots of wildlife. The trip we chose was to the Mears Glacier, but the weather was so great the captain decided to approach the Columbia glacier too. The captain got fairly close, not enough to see any calving but we saw lots of huge icebergs. Later we approached the Mears Glacier and the captain put us right next to the glacier. We saw several calves, one huge one, and were so close the boat rocked from the waves produced. They had a great crew who were friendly, accommodating, and very knowledgeable. Highly recommend this cruise!

1  Thank pryner

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Columbia Glacier Tour - I was disappointed because we were soooo far away from the glacier. I don't know what determines an "icefield", but we were kayaked around a few icebergs. In the distance there was alot of icebergs and the glacier, but we NEVER got close. When we asked the guide to kayak closer, we were told it was too far, so instead, we stayed in the area and kayaked to a waterfall and some channels were there were weren't even icebergs. It was beautiful and peaceful, our guide was friendly and nice but I felt the trip was misrepresented, I expected we would be much closer to the glacier and icefield. It was not as they advertise on their webpage and brochure.

2  Thank just4fun_as
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I took the Stan Stephens boat tour to the glacier - very helpful staff and concerned about customer comfort on the boat. The day we traveled there was dicey weather and we were given a choice of taking a reduced tour with a refund of the difference or a complete refund if you didn't want to travel. The captain was well versed on the natural and geological history of the area and gave us an excellent tour. You are able to talk to the captain while he pilots the boat.

Wonderful

1  Thank Douglas B
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My first trip to Alaska and I went to Valdez to visit my son. We went on the Lu Lu Belle tour and seen the Columbia Glacier it was Awesome..... I would recommend this to anyone who is going to Valdez Alaska....

1  Thank Sienna56
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Expensive....$250.00 per person....would not have minded but was not happy with our tour guide, Berto. He seemed uninterested & bored with our tour and rarely spoke to anyone. He paddled along and we followed giving no information about anything.
The time we spent in the ice field was beautiful and we really enjoyed that part of the tour. After padding around we stopped for lunch, which is bring your own, and we sat in the rain for about an hour, freezing and pretty much miserable (was not cold until our lunch break). The tour says our guide will have snacks and hot beverages, this consisted of a bag of trail mix, one small cup of instant cocoa, and an old bag of candy that looked like Berto pulled it out of left over Christmas candy.
After lunch we hopped back into our kayak and headed back to the ice field. We hurriedly paddled through to be taken to a lake and paddle around. I can paddle in any lake, any time I want to, I did not fly to Alaska and pay to kayak in ice fields but spend 1.5 hours paddling in an ordinary lake. They should have spent that time in the ice field because we were just wasting time until our boat picked us up. Our boat driver was nice and very informative (Matt) and the other tour guide seemed to have a great personality and we wished we would have been with him.
Bring bug spray and a warm change of clothes along with dry gloves to put on!!!

3  Thank Pakrugg

Been to Columbia Glacier? Share your experiences!