“Terrible experience :(”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Terrible experience :(”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We booked our reservation 2 weeks before check in. The only reason we made the reservation at this place opposed to another was for pool, fitness center AND continental breakfast. Turns out, they didn't have any!!! Unreal. Upon check in, we asked the front desk about the pool and said it had been closed for 6 months!! Yes, 6 Months!!!!! It doesn't take that long to take something off your website... Apparently they were supposed to tell us when we made the reservation but we made 2 reservation calls and not a word was said.

And, don't count on complimentary continental breakfast. Their brochures on the ferry and the book in our room even stated that it was still complimentary. Front desk rudely told us 'oops, guess we better change that.'

I don't expect much but honesty is important. If they are going to make all these major changes then it really needs to be known to the guest. The price we paid should have included all of these things because that's what we thought we were getting at the time of the reservation.

I really wish I had photos to share. Don't expect much for nearly $200 a night!!

Room Tip: No elevator!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Jason H, Manager at Mountain Sky Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hello Anna,
I am sorry your stay was not up to your expectations. We did make changes in our amenities in early March. Unfortunately, a lot of those changes were not updated on our website and other third party sites. I can assure you that those changes have been made and we are diligently working towards building and rebuilding our guest relations. We are a family owned business and pride ourselves in the fact that we are taking a more "hands on" approach to this business. We have seen what letting other people run the business has been a mistake on multiple levels.

As for elevators.. there are no elevators in any of the hotels in Valdez, AK. Mainly because if it went down, there is no qualified tech available. Being in a town, not a city, we are not afforded the given luxuries of bigger cities.

If you do visit Valdez again, I ask that give us a chance to regain your trust and business. Please do not hesitate to contact me before, during, or after.

Jason
manager@mountainskyhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The outside of the hotel looks like crap, so I was pleasantly surprised with the nice room. My husband and I had coffee in the bar though, and the waiter was extremely rude to my husband. The bar only had a couple other customers but he acted angry that we did not order food. Then evidently, he thought he should not have to give change back from a ten dollar bill for a four dollar tab. After another rude remark for unknown reasons, my silently dumbfounded husband decided this twit deserved no tip and left. He needs a lesson in good customer relations.

• Stayed June 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I have heard numerous times our building looks like a barn. Previous management decided on this "look." That said management is no longer here.

The restaurant is longer here and was a separate entity from the hotel.

I hope when you come to Valdez again, you choose to stay with us again!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Rooms don't have air... Hot week. Food was good and good entertainment at night. Good help with local needs but there is not much in town for stuff. Only about 3 good shops for take always. Best Western had goo food too.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Jason H, Manager at Mountain Sky Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your review. This summer was unusually warm with more sun than rain. The town is exploring options to make Valdez a summer destination. It is in its planning stages.

I hope you are able to stay with us on your next visit to Valdez! Possibly Tailgate Alaska? If you're big on skiing/snowboarding.. it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

This was a great experience. The staff was great, the room was clean and comfortable. The restaurant/sports bar was a great place for dinner. We read the previous reviews but had no noise problems and found everything great. This is Valdez and one will not find a Ritz, but this was better than expected and we would go back.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Debrah!

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately many guests don't realize that we are in a small town, not a city. You are right, you will not find a Ritz in town and I am ecstatic that we exceeded your initial expectations. We do know we still have a lot of work to do, but reviews like yours make it all worthwhile.

I hope you are able to stay with us again the next time you're in Valdez!

Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 24 April 2013

there is nothing outstanding and nothing wrong with this hotel. It is clean, thin walls as I head the guy in next room snoring, but the staff could not be nicer and more helpful. I was there several times this spring and there were a lot of heli-skiers there, but everyone was nice. Nothing fancy, but again clean and nice people... pretty central location as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Kenneth K says it how it is! Is this place the Ritz! No, it's Valdez ... get over it! But they're No Smoking policy is tight so your room is fresh and smelling clean. Do you want a door man? What are you doing in Valdez! Go home!

After reading reviews here I expected Valdez to be full off stoic tossers! Far from it. They're warm people who are open and welcome ... as long as you're not a tosser and you understand where you are.

The hotel is clean and with the "Hurry up and Wait" and "Valdez time" understood this is a down to earth place that really feels like home. BTW - The beds and pillows are awesome, the room heating is over hot (by my tastes), and don't get in a biff with Gilly (from what I'm told).

Room Tip: I liked the ground floor rooms on the 220 - 240 range looking out the backside of the hotel. You se...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Hello Doc,

Thank you for your review. You have stated what I have wanted to say to some guests! LOL.

The people in town are generally friendly who run on, like you said, "valdez time." I hope future guests read this and realize they are in a town, not a city. Valdez does not have the luxuries of traffic lights and Starbucks on every street corner. It's a town of mom and pop shops who try to make in a cul-de-sac at the end of a 300+ mile street from Anchorage.

I hope you are able to join us again soon!

Seattle
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The room is pretty nice (at least for Valdez) and the TV gets a lot of channels. Internet is free and fast, but we were disappointed that the pool and fitness center are permanently closed and that the breakfast (as listed on their own website) is no longer include with the room

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your review. The pool has been closed permanently. The maintenance and upkeep costs have made it impossible to keep open. The last time it went down in Nov '12, a lady decided to take a bubble bath in the hot tub and jammed all the pumps. Because of people like her, it was not cost effective to keep it going. If only people used things like it was their own.. *sigh*

A lot of our amenities have changed and we have had issues with 3rd party sites updating those changes. I have gotten those changes made and the sites who refused to update have been removed as booking partners. Some sites had pictures of other hotels!

We do have plans for a new fitness and business center.

I hope you are able to stay with us again. As a fellow washingtonian, please have a starbucks or tully's for me b/c i miss it. lol

Jason H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Mountain Sky Hotel? Share your experiences!