“It's Alaska”

Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Valdez
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Was in Valdez on an escorted, guided tour to see Prince Williams Sound. Was here 7/27. You can walk through the entire town in under 30 minutes. Located across from a Testero gas station. Safeway nearby.

Had the Red Salmon and chips for $14.50. Portion is enough for two depending on how hungry you are. Includes a cup of cole slaw or baked beans and a canned soda, ice tea or kid's Capri Sun juice packet. Halibut and chips are $18.75 with prices ranging from $13.75 for a Cheeseburger basket to $15.25 for specialty burgers (baskets include fries and a soda or bottled water). They serve breakfast $7.25 to $8.75 (eggs, 2 pancakes, bacon/sausage, hash browns) and lunch, burger baskets from $7.75 to $9.25. They had their own "fries sauce" (think 1000 Island dressing) and tarter sauce/lemon.

Since this was Alaska, had to try the salmon. It was still tender and moist with a light batter coating. Have not seen Salmon and chips in the "lower 48" so that was unique

Takeout or sit down on wooden picnic tables in the restaurants. You are not paying for the decor. Credit cards accepted. No paper receipts. They email the receipt to you.

Reasonable prices and portions considering that Valdez is "isolated" and everything has to be trucked in. The one waitress was overrun at the time I went in so I had to wait but I had no place pressing to be. I had to walk back to the Best Western but the food was still hot.

Opened from 5 am until 10 pm (breakfast until 11 am with lunch ending at 4 pm)

Alternatives is Halibut House down the street (only had one night so I tossed a coin) or the sit down restaurants along the harbor street or Safeway Deli.

There are newer reviews for Old Town Burgers

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My mushroom burger was thick and juicy--YUM! I liked it better than a hamburger from the Five Guys Burgers chain of restaurants. If you want "fish and chips" with halibut or red salmon, this is the place in town to get them at a reasonable rate. My wife liked the healthier fare of the grilled halibut taco. The young man at the grill took pride in the food he put out and sincerely appreciated our compliments. The only thing I wish they'd change is serving complimentary water instead of only selling bottled water.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had the halibut and chips because I did not think fried salmon was possible. As I tried some of my dad's fried salmon, I was glad I tried the halibut. The fried salmon was not bad, but the halibut was juicier.

The fries here are delicious.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We ate dinner at Oldtown Burgers. This was very casual with picnic tables inside. My Lonely Planet book mentioned homemade curly fries, so I had those and a cheeseburger. OMG. Best burger and fries in Alaska so far! I ordered mine well done, and it was still moist and tasty, as was the bun. So glad we came here -- a must if I return to Valdez.

The only improvement I would suggest is ice for the canned sodas.

1  Thank Pinders
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had the chicken basket and M had the halibut meal. There was plenty to be had, but the atmosphere and the service were no more than normal.

I would think that breakfast would be better. The menu indicated a three egg & meat breakfast for $8.95, so that has value, especially in Alaska where the prices to eat out are higher than the lower 48.

Oh, a soda or bottled water came with the meal, but the only diet sodas both had caffein.

The only seating is at picnic tables, so if you decide to eat there, eat fast.

Been to Old Town Burgers? Share your experiences!