“Leigh does everything right”

VSHelicopters Tours
Ranked #5 of 15 Tours in Valdez
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Don't miss the trip of a lifetime! The most beautiful flying in all of Alaska is HERE in the world famous Chugach Mountains and Prince William Sound. Experience walking on a glacier...drink the water, see your reflexion in a crystal clear blue pool of glacier water! See the majestic Columbia Glacier up close. See huge pieces of ice calve off into the ocean and hear the thunderous roar. Walk amongst the massive icebergs that get trapped on the shore as the ocean tide goes out. This is a MUST DO in Alaska!!! It's like having your very own National Geographic experience...in person! An experience to remember for a lifetime! If you are planning a flight seeing tour in Alaska, THIS is the one to do!!! We have the longest tours for the best prices in all of Alaska and the scenery is absolutely breath taking. Read what our guests are saying about us! We look forward to creating a magical experience for you...one that you will be talking about for years to come.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

i didn't fly with Vertical Solutions, but still I give it 5 stars. I worked with Leigh Coates for several months arranging a custom flight. Ultimately the flight was cancelled due to weather. Leigh does everything she can to satisfy her customers. Rain or shine, you can't go wrong with her.

AKHeliFlyer, Owner at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Wow, thanks for the great review without even flying! Actually after this review was written, we got a small break in the weather and I called you up and we decided to give it a go. We had been emailing and planning for months ahead of time so I knew how important this trip was for you. Thanks for emailing and sharing your amazing photos with me. I'm so glad you got to experience these magical Chugach Mountains, Columbia Glacier and Prince William Sound. Thanks Again! -Leigh

Reviewed 13 June 2014

So if you have read any of my Alaskan reviews, you should know what I'm going to say. Weather rules, be flexible! We were to leave at 10am. A phone call from the pilot said it was too foggy and we would try for noon. Our pilot, Leigh, picked us up at Bayside RV Park at noon and it was a quick ride to the airport. We took the "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" tour. Leigh is the best. We had such a great time, the day flew by too fast. We went to an old gold mine on the mountain and two glacier stops. This was planned activity 3 of 3 for our two week trip. We drove 600 miles round trip just to take this excursion, after already having a helicopter/glacier tour a few days prior. It was absolutely worth the drive. Leigh asked us the right questions in order to determine where it would be best to go, and she didn't disappoint. I would say that if you are in Valdez, you have to do this, but it's worth the drive wherever you are in Alaska.

AKHeliFlyer, Owner at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

WOW! Thank you so much for taking a chance on VSHelicopters and driving 600 miles!!! We really do pride ourselves on making every trip one that people will remember for a lifetime and getting feedback like yours really makes us feel good! I'm so glad we all got to fly together and thank you for the great picture!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review...Thank YOU!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We made reservations for this tour a couple weeks out not knowing of what the weather was going to be. The day before our tour we got into Valdez via the ferry and was a little disappointed to see the overcast and rain. I went to work the next morning and when I was finished; the clouds broke and blue skies came out!
We meet Leigh who was super nice and waited for a third passenger for our trip in the 4-Seater helicopter. We took off and the views were amazing. We landed near the Columbia Glacier, got out and was in awe of the calving from the Glacier crumbling and falling into the ocean. Afterwards we loaded up and returned to Valdez via a different set of mountains.
Great tour all and all! Highly recommended!

Thanks for bringing the blue skies and sunshine with you! Come back any time! And thank you so much for taking the time to write us a fantastic review!!! I really hope your work brings you two back down here and we can go play again!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Before my family’s Alaska trip, I read Vertical Solutions on TripAdvisor and VS web site, but didn’t make reservation, out of concern of weather. We arrived at Valdez at 4:30PM on a weekday in late May. It was overcast with occasional sprinkle in the area. I called VS number twice between 5PM and 5:30PM, didn’t leave voice message on answering machine. Soon after Leigh called back using my caller ID after her meeting, and assured me that the cloud was high enough (at about 4500-5000ft level), and overcast is perfect setting to view blue ice. It turned out they just completed chartered work that day and flew helicopters back to Valdez Airport from the other side of Thompson Pass, and we were the only flightseeing tourists that day. Leigh was able to get hold of pilot Cullan, who came to airport and had helicopter ready in half hour. Cullan used to major in geology and is very knowledgeable. This was our first helicopter flight, the view was breathtaking. Cullan brought us over city of Valdez, Shouk Glacier, then over the last 2 miles of massive Columbia Glacier. The deep blue ponds dotted on top of glacier were beautiful, long medial moraines were formed by several branches of glaciers feeding to Columbia. I felt nature’s greatness. We hovered around Columbia Glacier’s terminus for up-close view, then landed on a safe beach for half an hour and enjoyed the glacier and surroundings quietly without rotor’s noise. Ice blocks washed up by tide dotted beach, some as tall as a person with blue hue. The water was calm most of time, but ~2 feet of waves arrived minutes after large calving. When we lifted and flew by terminus again, two huge calvings occurred right in front us, sending out waves of “mini tsunami”. During the trip, we also spotted 3 black bears, one mountain goat, many seals on floating ice and waterfalls. Near the end of trip, we flew over Valdez terminal of Trans-Alaska Pipeline. Throughout the tour, Cullan gave us informative introduction of mountain, glacier and wildlife. It was an amazing and memorable tour. My daughter said this was the best part of Alaska trip she enjoyed. Columbia Glacier (Alaska) is said to be the second largest glacier in North America, and also one of the fastest in retreat. Since 1986, it has retreated ~12 miles to the north and lost about half of its thickness and volume. The west branch has split from the main branch since 2010, essentially created a separate glacier, and exposed the beach area where we landed. So take the chance when you are there.

1  Thank Kevinx168

Thanks for taking the time to write such incredible details of your experience with us! I'm so glad we were able to get you and your family out for adventure even on a cloudy day! We really appreciate your review and hope the rest of your Alaska adventure turns out perfect!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I never experienced helicopter before,but had a bad experience in small aircraft which gave me sought of motion sickness.If we're given chance I would give 10 stars. Leigh and Collen, the pilots were very kind and show us most part of the Columbia Glacier.The day in which we reserved flight was a rainy day in Valdez. We were little worried if we could land in Columbia Glacier, but they made the helicopter land smoothly like magic carpet. We saw few of wild life near the airport and some near glacier too.They were so good that they took the payments only after we returned as they said based on weather situations and landing possibility we can make the payments at the end of the trip.

AKHeliFlyer, Owner at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

I'm so glad you two were up for an adventure even in the rain! We had so much fun flying with you! Thank you for the fantastic review and we really hope you have a great rest of your trip around Alaska. Thank you!!!

Been to VSHelicopters Tours? Share your experiences!