“Did I Get Lucky?”

Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Valdez
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Healthy
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Fat mermaid sits on the waterfront with a great view of the harbor and mountains. Chef Joel Brown has a fresh and innovative way to create seafood dishes that everyone enjoys and appreciates. We have a love for preparing great pizzas, burgers, steaks and pasta from scratch. We also produce gluten free, healthy and vegan items. Our bar host spirits and over 15 different craft beers on tap.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

So, I'm reading a few of the prior reviews, and I'm wondering if I went to the same place as some of these folks. Or, maybe my standards are lower??

We arrived in Valdez mid-afternoon, and went right to the restaurant. It was a sunny day, so we sat outside, right across the street from Valdez's beautiful small boat harbor. Our waitress was super-friendly and efficient. To be fair, she had time to chat, as we were not there during peak hours. Our food (for 4) came in reasonable time, and we were in no hurry, anyway. Warm Alskan sun, cold beer, good food - we were set.

To me, The Fat Mermaid is as advertised - an informal sandwich and small plates joint served up with Alaskan style. I likely would not go here for dinner just because I think their menu is more "lunch appropriate". But, I would certainly return for lunch, on a sunny day...

2  Thank IndependentTravelAK

Reviewed 6 August 2014

It came recommended but maybe it's because of the lack of choice in Valdez but we were disappointed. The service was poor. Couldn't quite make out whether the staff were bored or just didn't want to be there. There is nothing food wise you can't get elsewhere and there no atmosphere to the place. Maybe it only happens on certain times or nights ...? We wouldn't eat there again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

After reading reviews for all the Valdez restaurants we decided on this one. It seemed all the restaurants had good and bad reviews so we just took a pick. The service depends on the day I've come to believe. Our service was excellent but it wasn't real busy. Our waitress, McKinley, was sweet and efficient. She wasn't old enough to serve beer so another guy did that but we didn't wait for it. Our onion appetizer was good and it too came fast as did our fish and chips (very good and lots)! We sat in the section with the chopped wood stacked along the walls. Very Alaskan. We weren't excited about the s'more cupcakes and they were expensive. We'd go again but we'll try some other spots before.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

After a long day of travel, we were hungry for dinner. After ordering, we headed over to make a reservation for kayaking the next day. Upon returning, we expected our food to arrive shortly as we had been gone 10-15 minutes. About 5 minutes later, pizza and fish and chips arrived.

The pizza was a "medium" sized gluten free pizza. Very lackluster. The crust was the poorest gluten free crust we have encountered and was undercooked on the top. The sauce was just as disappointing. Even the cheese was sub par. Don't even think there were 10 small slices of pepperoni. How does one produce such disappointing results? My wife ate 2 slices and called it quits.

i had ordered either the porter or stout before heading over to make my kayaking reservation, and when i arrived back to the table found a Guiness waiting. Very disappointing that the waiter didn't know that they were out of both Alaska beers i had wanted to try and asked for. But i guess that is what happens when there isn't adequate attention to detail.

The fish and chips were good and a nice sized portion. Hot, fresh, tasty breading. If the pizza had been close, this would have been a successful dining experience. But the disappointment my wife experienced brings to mind the Chinese adage: Happy Wife, Happy Life. Unhappy wife--mediocre recommendation. Oh. Her pizza? $21 for a pepperoni pizza.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We ate here because it looked like they could accommodate my dietary restrictions with allergic baby. It took almost 30 minutes to get a server, but once we did, she was very nice. Definitely had to hunt her or someone else down when we wanted anything though, like a new beer or glass of water. The food was tasty, although perhaps a little pricey for portion size. We got an ahi tuna appetizer which was small but good, a pizza which looked awesome but my husband, a pizza snob, said it was just ok (he wants NYC pizza but it isn't happening outside of NYC!), and halibut tacos which were really good! Plus a couple of Alaska beers and their homemade mango/lime sorbet which was big size and good. Nothing super amazing food-wise, but definitely recommend their halibut tacos and sitting outside on the patio if it's a nice day and you have time to kill.