“Wild Roses was just what we needed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valdez
Wild Roses By The Sea B&B Retreat
Ranked #2 of 14 Valdez B&B and Inns
Greater Washington, DC area
“Wild Roses was just what we needed”
Reviewed 3 June 2008

At first I was a little nervous since there was miscommunication as to whether I had a reservation and Valdez was an EXTREMELY long drive from Anchorage but it was well worth it.

Had it not been for the navigation system and Rose's handy dandy turn by turn directions, I wouldn't have know I reached my destination.

Note: an SUV will definitely come in handy!

The B&B rests on the side of a hill with beautiful views. Since we came in the shoulder season, we were able to have the ocean view guest room which consists of the entire first floor of the B&B with a separate bedroom and entrance which I unfortunately didn't realize we had until the day I left.

Unfortunately Rose wasnt there to greet us upon arrival but left a nice note on the door with entrance instructions and reminder that there is a dog on the premises (who I've lovingly dubbed "THE ABSTER!").

Once you enter thru the private entrance (stairs leading toward the lower level on the right side of the main entrance) straight ahead you'll see the bathroom (with glass sliding doors) and the kitchen (stocked with tea, coffee, cereal and other things to nosh on in case you're hungry) toward your left.

Once you step fully inside you'll see the very large living room with bay windows which gives great views of the water and forest. There is also a rocking chair right outside of the house to sit and watch the water on a clear day (unfortunately I didnt get to take advantage of this since it rained). There was also a pull out couch and stow away bed available which leads me to believe at least 5 people can stay in this space. GREAT if you're traveling in a group.

The private bedroom was tastefully and simply decorated and in the closet were extra blankets and 2 robes if needed. The greatest thing about the bedroom is the view (same view from the living room) AND the fact that the blinds shut to give complete darkness. Helpful if you're not used to 20 hours of sunlight! The bed was so comfortable, down right addicting! I usually have trouble sleeping in foreign places but I slept for 9 hours which I NEVER do! (KUDOS to Rose for picking a great bed!)

Unfortunately, I felt a little sick but my travel partner got the chance to speak to Rose who gave great tips on where to view animals and where to eat.

The next morning we woke to breakfast on the stairs which consisted of fresh yogurt which crunchy apples, dried cranberries, granola and other "stuff". Honestly it looked a little weird but I'm always one to try something new and it was DELICIOUS. I'm not a yogurt eater so for me to say that, it's big. Even better were the fresh baked raisin bran muffins, home made blueberry jam (never had that before and it was AWESOME!) and coffee that was strong but didnt overpower the sense. O.J. and a variety of teas were also available but I didnt indulge.

Finally after we packed up and were ready to head out, Rose gave us a baggy of muffins for our long trek to Seward, I took a couple of pictures of the B&B and "THE ABSTER!" and we headed out!

For my first visit to a B&B, Wild Roses and Rose herself have definitely made me a fan! And while I may not experience Rose's hospitality any time in the near future, she made me look forward to future B&B stays. I honestly cannot find one single thing to complain about (and I definitely looked!).

If you're looking for a quality B&B with great views and a great hostess AND you're going to be in Valdez, definitely give Rose a call.

• Liked — The fresh food, views, BED, hostess, B&B dog
  • Disliked — Only spending one night!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank COCO_CLASSIC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I just had the pleasure to stay at Rose's B&B while travelling on business in Valdez. Everything you've heard about the breakfasts is true. And Rose makes you feel right at home. After a long day of work (or play) in the snow (or sun or rain), it's great to be comforted by her beautiful B&B and get spoiled with her gourmet breakfasts. If you're on business, the B&B takes the "edge off" of the wearies of business travel. If you're on vacation, just go for the pure pleasure.

• Liked — Food, owner, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AlbertBodamer
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 October 2007

The setting is gorgeous, the views are breathtaking, the location is convenient, the house is bright and cheerful, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the breakfasts are huge and border on decadent. Yes, all of this is true. But rising above everything is the owner, Rose.

Rose is welcoming, sweet, funny, genuine, helpful, and kind. We’ve stayed in countless B&Bs, and no one has ever made us feel at home like she did. I devised a fantasy in my head that there would be a B&B University where all B&B owners go to learn their trade, and Rose would be the President and Dean. She’s that wonderful and she is, without question, doing exactly what she was born to do.

We stayed in the Sea View Room, which is the smallest room and includes a huge private bath across the hall. Parking was ample and we even had access to a washer and dryer. The main living and dining room areas are fronted by a wall of windows with a view over Prince William Sound, and there are binoculars provided for boat and animal viewing. When you’re done with that, you can play games, chat with other guests, read a book, or look through the scrapbook about how Wild Roses came to be. Nights were very quiet and we were never disturbed by kitchen noise or other guests.

In order for us to give a place the full 5 TripAdvisor ‘dots’, there has to be something truly special about our stay there. Wild Roses is special in many ways, and we can’t recommend this place enough.

• Liked — The owner! (intentional exclamation point) and the views.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sensibility
pine hill, nj
Reviewed 21 July 2007

Words can not describle what a wonderful stay we had at Wild Roses by
the Sea. Rose is a delightful hostess who is an amazing cook and wonderful person. Her home is filled with many books, pictures and trinckets that will make you feel at home. The views from her living roon and dining room of the sound are breathtaking, however it is hard to concentrate on the views when Rose puts out her breakfast spread. All I can say is that both my husband and I ate great and slept wonderful. Everyday we woke up to the most delicious aromas one could imagine and her breakfasts tasted as good as they smelled.

We were lucky enough to have the Canyon Suite on the second floor. Our room was huge, the bed was huge, the views were huge, and our bathroom was huge.Everything at Wild Roses' is huge. Everyday when we came in from our outings for the day, we were greeted with some sort of sweets left in our room. We found it hard though, to stay in our room, when Rose was around. I can't say enough about her. She had great stories, wonderful advise, and always an interest in what we were doing and our lives back home. Rose makes you feel like you've known her your whole life.

We can't wait to go back and see Rose again (and her dog too). I don't think any trip to Valdez would be complete with out staying there.

Some quick things about Valdez--Beautiful drive there with tons of waterfalls.

We saw seals, sea otters, bald eagles and even a black bear in Valdez.

Good food. Kayaking w/Pangea Tours to Columbia Glacier was one of the
highlights of our trip.

• Liked — clean, warm and inviting
  • Disliked — nothing it was perfect
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tripgirl74
California
Reviewed 6 July 2007

This was one of the best B&B's that we stayed in while in Alaska. The views were amazing and our room very comfortable and clean. Rose was a very pleasant and knowledgable host and her breakfasts were fantastic. We can't wait to return and stay here again.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank Lizron
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 15 November 2006

Delicious breakfast, wonderful company, cozy and complete furnishings. Just like being at home! I am still looking for a recipe for the delicious ham and pineapple breakfast...

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — I generally don't like B & B's
  • Tips/Secrets — Rose is a unique, but very friendly lady. She reminds me of my mom
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank ladyvanilla
Long Valley, NJ
Reviewed 19 September 2006

The best of our 2 week tour of Alaska. Rose handled the Alaska ferry company canceling our afternoon ferry with grace. We and another couple needed to leave very early, and Rose made us a wonderful breakfast eariler than usual, and smiled through it all. The room was wonderful, and comfortable, and we wished we could have stayed longer and enjoyed it more. The room decor was very home like and the common areas had great views. It was evident that Rose and her Family put alot of time and thought into the B&B going so far as to create a special scrapbook about the B&B, abd the placement of nut and dried fruit in our room. Valdez was really a very nice stop, and if you have the chance, I'd recommend Wild Rose's By The Sea!

Stayed August 2006
6 Thank JessNJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Wild Roses By The Sea B&B Retreat? Share your experiences!